× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 109 visibility 12270

(CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil

islamica's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Why the war in Iraq was fought for Big Oil

(CNN) -- Yes, the Iraq War was a war for oil, and it was a war with winners: Big Oil.

It has been 10 years since Operation Iraqi Freedom's bombs first landed in Baghdad. And while most of the U.S.-led coalition forces have long since gone, Western oil companies are only getting started.

Before the 2003 invasion, Iraq's domestic oil industry was fully nationalized and closed to Western oil companies. A decade of war later, it is largely privatized and utterly dominated by foreign firms.

From ExxonMobil and Chevron to BP and Shell, the West's largest oil companies have set up shop in Iraq. So have a slew of American oil service companies, including Halliburton, the Texas-based firm Dick Cheney ran before becoming George W. Bush's running mate in 2000.

Oil was not the only goal of the Iraq War, but it was certainly the central one, as top U.S. military and political figures have attested to in the years following the invasion.

"Of course it's about oil; we can't really deny that," said Gen. John Abizaid, former head of U.S. Central Command and Military Operations in Iraq, in 2007. Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan agreed, writing in his memoir, "I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil." Then-Sen. and now Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the same in 2007: "People say we're not fighting for oil. Of course we are."

In 2000, Big Oil, including Exxon, Chevron, BP and Shell, spent more money to get fellow oilmen Bush and Cheney into office than they had spent on any previous election. Just over a week into Bush's first term, their efforts paid off when the National Energy Policy Development Group, chaired by Cheney, was formed, bringing the administration and the oil companies together to plot our collective energy future. In March, the task force reviewed lists and maps outlining Iraq's entire oil productive capacity.

Planning for a military invasion was soon under way. Bush's first Treasury secretary, Paul O'Neill, said in 2004, "Already by February (2001), the talk was mostly about logistics. Not the why (to invade Iraq), but the how and how quickly."

In its final report in May 2001 (PDF), the task force argued that Middle Eastern countries should be urged "to open up areas of their energy sectors to foreign investment." This is precisely what has been achieved in Iraq.

Here's how they did it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/op...asz/index.html
    Last edited by islamica; 03-20-2013 at 11:49 PM.
    | Likes Muslim Woman liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: (CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil

This is no real surprise to any intelligent human being living on this planet.

Justice will be done in this world or the next.
    chat Quote

Futuwwa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's an American media company. Isn't it supposed to be operated by Zionists trying to cover up the truth?
    chat Quote

Jedi_Mindset's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa View Post
    It's an American media company. Isn't it supposed to be operated by Zionists trying to cover up the truth?
    As long as people are distracted and much in wordly things like dancing, drinking and are patriotic. they dont care less. These pro-America patriots are even saying that the US or israhell should wipe out the ME with nukes or bomb mekkah and medinah.

The resources are one thing, the war on our religion another.
    | Likes YusufNoor, Ali_008, Abu Loren liked this post

http://www.youtube.com/user/robinb4life?feature=mhee
    I will not calm down until I will put one cheek of a tyrant on the ground and the other under my feet, and for the poor and weak, I will put my cheek on the ground.
    - Umar ibn khattab(Ra)
    wwwislamicboardcom - (CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The looting of a country's resources and the killing of women and children, by drones, is justified as long as one Malala is flown out of the region, once in a while, and is given medical treatment, paraded around and have her photo published on different western magazines.
    | Likes YusufNoor, Ali_008, Jedi_Mindset liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You know the average 'Joe' on the street in America is kept ignorant of world affairs. They are also brainwashed from an early age to be patriotic in whatever their govenment does. You show dissidency in the streets of America and you stand out like a sore thumb.

Now that the Soviet Union has disappeared they feel they can do anything in the world and get away with it. Looks like that's what's happening now.
    | Likes YusufNoor, Jedi_Mindset liked this post
    chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren View Post
    They are also brainwashed from an early age to be patriotic in whatever their govenment does. You show dissidency in the streets of America and you stand out like a sore thumb.
    Uhh... Have you ever been here?
    chat Quote

IAmZamzam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Let's see: ignorance is the norm...brainwashed from an early age to be patriotic...not allowed to disagree with the majority or they'll stick out like a sore thumb...ethnocentric bias reigns supreme...Abu Loren, has it occurred to you that you've just described every single place on Earth since the dawn of man?

Not fully three posts in before the word "Zionist" pops up. I'm not surprised but I'm still disappointed. One way or another people have to find an excuse to drag Zionism into everything, don't they?
    | Likes yahia12 liked this post

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post

Uhh... Have you ever been here?
    You keep popping up now and again...who are you?
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam View Post
    Let's see: ignorance is the norm...brainwashed from an early age to be patriotic...not allowed to disagree with the majority or they'll stick out like a sore thumb...ethnocentric bias reigns supreme...Abu Loren, has it occurred to you that you've just described every single place on Earth since the dawn of man?

Not fully three posts in before the word "Zionist" pops up. I'm not surprised but I'm still disappointed. One way or another people have to find an excuse to drag Zionism into everything, don't they?
    John I have just one question for you?

Are you really stupid?
    chat Quote

Student1996's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa View Post
    Us Muslims know the truth.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Student1996 View Post
    Us Muslims know the truth.
    And you're only 16? :smile:
    chat Quote

Jedi_Mindset's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats because we are in the center of the war against us, our war for our opinion, lands, religion. zionists are one of such people waging wars against us, dividing us, creating civil wars, its despots mass slaughtering muslims. The brutal invasions of libya, iraq, afghanistan, mali and the countless drone strikes. So yeah, i do see some point in your comment that some of us muslims are uttermost fools to fall in the schemes of the Zionist and the power to be.

We muslims are weak now, lets change ourselves to counter these threats against us, its the only way and the only solution, they dont want peace, they want all our recourses and destroy us. gold infact most of our gold has been stolen and stored into the federal reserve, israel and the EU banks. While our rulers are giving oil to the west, insha'Allah the times of 1973 will arrive when the oil was cut to the west, you should've seen them panicking Henry kissinger tried to be funny, but was met with a serious response from king faisal '' And I’m an old man who wishes to pray at Al Aqsa mosque before he dies, can you make that wish come true?”

not much later, he recieved a bullet in his head from his sold out cousin on order by the CIA. So please, although i see some sense in your posts be aware of the schemes against us.
    | Likes YusufNoor liked this post

http://www.youtube.com/user/robinb4life?feature=mhee
    I will not calm down until I will put one cheek of a tyrant on the ground and the other under my feet, and for the poor and weak, I will put my cheek on the ground.
    - Umar ibn khattab(Ra)
    wwwislamicboardcom - (CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That is most certainly not what I meant. I was saying, "Honestly, does everything have to do with Zionism?" I mean, from the way people talk you'd think that every time a guy dropped his fork in Uruguay somehow a Zionist conspiracy was sure to be behind it. The main problem with the American government is that it is coldhearted, self-centered and self-aggrandizing. Not Israel-centered. Not Israel-aggrandizing. Not full of warm, fuzzy feelings for Zion. It's all about Uncle Sam. Doesn't care about anyone else, including allies, except insofar as they can be useful as puppets--and their usefulness even in that capacity, for such a superpower, is limited. That's why Romney kept criticizing Obama for not doing enough for Israel. He knew that a lot of Christian ultraconservatives were already feeling that their precious holy land was going neglected by the government.

The reason why people want oil is because they want money. Those behind it are not Zionists but cigar-chomping, business suit-wearing corporate execs, sitting in the thirty-ninth floor of an office building somewhere. Mainly white people raised in traditional Christian households who couldn't care less about Zion--or anything other than their own bottom line. Company heads who can't stand the thought of a little risk, because then other companies might get ahead. Whenever anything goes wrong in this world--political corruption, media corruption, arts and entertainment decline, business crime, environmental damage, you name it--one way or another a beaurocrat is always somehow involved. In fact didn't The Qur'an say something one of those towns that got destroyed having corrupt councilmen?
    Last edited by IAmZamzam; 03-20-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Peace be to any prophets I may have mentioned above. Praised and exalted be my Maker, if I have mentioned Him. (Come to think of it praise Him anyway.)
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    yahia12's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There is always someone to blame? If not Zionists it`s the US government. C'mon Middle Easterners must stop pointing fingers and take some responsibility.
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren View Post
    You keep popping up now and again...who are you?
    He's some member who tends to disagree with the mainstream members. Very harmless and polite fellow.

the Iraq War was a war for oil
    Well I'm so flabbergasted.

I think Iraq war was based on some sort of strategic move. :/

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you have oil you have got to expect the brigands to come after you. Saddam had no nukes, no real defence and didn't want to give the West a cut of the oil profits and wanted to trade the oil in another currency not the green back. In the past he was doing deals with the "Great Satan" doing really well being a poodle for the Zionists. Going to war with Iran at their bequest and living a life of luxury and power. Did he go mad in the end? The other Middle East oil states crawl to the "Great Satan" that's why they are not destroyed. Iran is defiant because it has Russia to protect it.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That is most certainly not what I meant. I was saying, "Honestly, does everything have to do with Zionism?" I mean, from the way people talk you'd think that every time a guy dropped his fork in Uruguay somehow a Zionist conspiracy was sure to be behind it. The main problem with the American government is that it is coldhearted, self-centered and self-aggrandizing. Not Israel-centered. Not Israel-aggrandizing. Not full of warm, fuzzy feelings for Zion. It's all about Uncle Sam. Doesn't care about anyone else, including allies, except insofar as they can be useful as puppets--and their usefulness even in that capacity, for such a superpower, is limited. That's why Romney kept criticizing Obama for not doing enough for Israel. He knew that a lot of Christian ultraconservatives were already feeling that their precious holy land was going neglected by the government.

The reason why people want oil is because they want money. Those behind it are not Zionists but cigar-chomping, business suit-wearing corporate execs, sitting in the thirty-ninth floor of an office building somewhere. Mainly white people raised in traditional Christian households who couldn't care less about Zion--or anything other than their own bottom line. Company heads who can't stand the thought of a little risk, because then other companies might get ahead. Whenever anything goes wrong in this world--political corruption, media corruption, arts and entertainment decline, business crime, environmental damage, you name it--one way or another a beaurocrat is always somehow involved. In fact didn't The Qur'an say something one of those towns that got destroyed having corrupt councilmen?
    Obama is going to meet his masters in Israel. With a hundred million dollars of American tax payers dollars for Israels defence. Obviously nothing to do with Zionism at all I suppose.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Very interesting. Just a moment ago the following tweet from The White House Blog came up at Twitter. One of the thousand-plus people I follow (I have trouble keeping up with them all) retweeted The White House Blog:

President Obama Tells Israeli People: The U.S Is Proud to Be Your Strongest Ally and Your Greatest Friend

There was also a link to the following article:

On the first day of his visit to the Middle East, the first foreign trip of his second term, President Obama was in Israel, where he met with President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The visit is historic, marking the first time the President has visited Israel since taking office, and comes as its citizens celebrate the 65th anniversary of a free and independent State of Israel.

President Obama’s visit began with an arrival ceremony at the Ben Gurion airport, followed by an inspection of the Iron Dome Battery defense system in Tel Aviv. The Iron Dome is a short range rocket and mortar defense system, which was developed by Israel and produced with U.S. assistance and is part of a multi-tier missile defense developed to counter the rocket threat against Israel’s civilian population. From there, the President flew on to Jerusalem, where he met with Israeli leaders and attended a working dinner with Prime Minister Netanyahu.

Shortly after he landed in the Holy Land, President Obama took a minute to explain why this trip is so important for both the American and the Israeli people:

“I want to begin right now, by answering a question that is sometimes asked about our relationship—why? Why does the United States stand so strongly, so firmly with the State of Israel? And the answer is simple. We stand together because we share a common story—patriots determined ‘to be a free people in our land,’ pioneers who forged a nation, heroes who sacrificed to preserve our freedom, and immigrants from every corner of the world who renew constantly our diverse societies.

We stand together because we are democracies. For as noisy and messy as it may be, we know that democracy is the greatest form of government ever devised by man.

We stand together because it makes us more prosperous. Our trade and investment create jobs for both our peoples. Our partnerships in science and medicine and health bring us closer to new cures, harness new energy and have helped transform us into high-tech hubs of our global economy.

We stand together because we share a commitment to helping our fellow human beings around the world. When the earth shakes and the floods come, our doctors and rescuers reach out to help. When people are suffering, from Africa to Asia, we partner to fight disease and overcome hunger.

And we stand together because peace must come to the Holy Land. For even as we are clear-eyed about the difficulty, we will never lose sight of the vision of an Israel at peace with its neighbors.”

Tomorrow President Obama will visit the Israel Museum, where he will view the Dead Sea Scrolls and attend a technology expo, before traveling to Ramallah, West Bank where he will be greeted with an official arrival ceremony, followed by a bilateral meeting with Palestinian Authority President Abbas. Later, the President will attend a cultural event at Al-Bireh Youth Center and meet with Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Fayyad, before giving a speech at the Jerusalem Convention Center, which will be livestreamed on whitehouse.gov at 11 AM ET.

Well maybe it's just because he's moving around so much, I don't know, but at the moment he happens to be standing on the verge of making me lose my lunch. Don’t forget how the article mentioned that this was the first time that Obama ever made a trip to Israel since he first assumed office. That should tell you something. But all the same, my mistake: the American government is both self-aggrandizing and Israel-aggrandizing.

Worst of all: I just heard a politician speak of bringing people peace. This can’t be good. We all know what that means. How many innocent hordes are going to get horribly slaughtered this time??
    Last edited by IAmZamzam; 03-20-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    | Likes GuestFellow liked this post

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Obama has got verbal diarrhea.
    “I want to begin right now, by answering a question that is sometimes asked about our relationship—why? Why does the United States stand so strongly, so firmly with the State of Israel? And the answer is simple. We stand together because we share a common story—patriots determined ‘to be a free people in our land,’ pioneers who forged a nation, heroes who sacrificed to preserve our freedom, and immigrants from every corner of the world who renew constantly our diverse societies.

We stand together because we are democracies. For as noisy and messy as it may be, we know that democracy is the greatest form of government ever devised by man.

We stand together because it makes us more prosperous. Our trade and investment create jobs for both our peoples. Our partnerships in science and medicine and health bring us closer to new cures, harness new energy and have helped transform us into high-tech hubs of our global economy.

We stand together because we share a commitment to helping our fellow human beings around the world. When the earth shakes and the floods come, our doctors and rescuers reach out to help. When people are suffering, from Africa to Asia, we partner to fight disease and overcome hunger.

And we stand together because peace must come to the Holy Land. For even as we are clear-eyed about the difficulty, we will never lose sight of the vision of an Israel at peace with its neighbors.”

Why does this guy never say anything that makes sense, just rhetoric and drivel. His propaganda is painfully tedious. He should get some tips from Dubya and just say "Freedom and democracy" and try and hold back the laughs.

Sorry for going off topic mods.
    | Likes GuestFellow liked this post
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! (CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. (CNN) -- the Iraq War was a war for oil