× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 5 of 5 visibility 14558

halal/haram cosmetics question

ILuvAllah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Is it haram to use cosmetics that has alcohol in them? Actually I wanted to buy a body scrub but I see in the ingredients that it has been made with vodka. Can i still use it?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: halal/haram cosmetics question

No. If it's chemically alcohol but not the same as drinking alcohol (wine, vodka, etc) then you might be able to use it. For example, rubbing alcohol and wood alcohol can't be drunk because they are poison but are used in various products such as cleaners and antiseptics. On the other hand, if a product contains the drinking kind, I think it's ethanol, then you can't use it.

you might want to read up on alcohol in Wikipedia to learn about the different kinds.
    chat Quote

tw009's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cetyl Alcohol - Halal
    Cetyl alcohol is a long chain alcohol which is solid hence obviously not drinkabale nor does it cause intoxication if at all ingested. Therefore, it is halal to use in cosmetic products. It is also not absorbed through the skin when applied as a cream.

Cetearyl alcohol - Halal
    In cosmetics and skincare Cetearyl Alcohol is not really an "alcohol" such as ethyl or rubbing alcohol, which would dry the skin, but is an emulsifying wax made by combining fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.

Ethyl Alcohol - Haram
    Ethyl Alcohol is also used in many cosmetic agents both for men (Aftershave Lotion) and for female perfumes. Ethyl Alcohol is absorbed through the skin. It then passes through the flesh into the blood vessels and finally mixes with the blood and circulates throughout the body. Once in the blood it is as good as if one has ingested through the mouth. As a small quantity of any intoxicant is haram therefore, as mentioned earlier, all liquid cosmetic products containing Ethyl Alcohol are prohibited. Other names given to synthetic Ethyl Alcohol are, Ethanol, Methylated Spirits (contains 5 percent Methyl Alcohol and 95 percent Ethyl Alcohol). Products containing these ingredients therefore will also be prohibited.
    More on this site- http://muslimahsmusings.blogspot.ca/...mate-list.html
    | Likes Muhaba liked this post

"Allâh is sufficient for me. None has the right to be worshiped but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the Mighty Throne."[Tawbah: 129]
    chat Quote

tw009's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I recently bought a concealer and found out it has lecithin in it, I loveeddd it, I dont know where I'll find a replacement for it
    Last edited by Insaanah; 01-18-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: removed response to deleted post

"Allâh is sufficient for me. None has the right to be worshiped but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the Mighty Throne."[Tawbah: 129]
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    ILuvAllah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by tw009 View Post
    Actually the scrub i wanted to buy is from Lush which is listed as halal on the website you mentioned but the scrub has vodka in it.
    chat Quote

8. Hide
Hey there! halal/haram cosmetics question Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. halal/haram cosmetics question