× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 18 of 18 visibility 3421

Team Hoyt

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Team Hoyt

Report bad ads?

I hope it's okay to share this beautiful and inspiring video with you.
    As a runner and somebody who works with people with profound disabilities, I am so moved by this.

This father/son team have run over 1000 races across the US. Dick Hoyt is 73 years old now and still continues to push his son in his adapted wheelchair.

| Likes sister herb, ardianto, Scimitar, ~Zaria~ liked this post
    Team Hoyt

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Team Hoyt

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ~Zaria~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Team Hoyt

^ One of the most touching videos I have seen in a long time!

I think it will keep this as my 'inspirational' video whenever I am feeling down...

SubhanAllah, Allah tests us in so many different ways. What an amazing example of turning a very difficult trial into something so postive!

May Allah (subhanawataála) favor them with His guidance and mercy.
    Ameen.

Thank you SO much for sharing this video with us.

Peace
    Team Hoyt

يَا مُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوبِ ثَبِّتْ قَلْبِى عَلَى دِينِكَ

Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    "Oh Turner of Hearts, keep my heart firm on Your Deen."

Subscribe and Share:
    Seeking the Pleasure of Allah

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Seeing this father/son team makes me cry every time!
    It is amazing what strength love and hope can produce in us.
    Team Hoyt

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

observer's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yes, yes, YES! I remember seeing this a while ago - absolutely fantastic. Genuinely heart-warming.
    | Likes glo liked this post
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We should remember to make this to everyone whose need help, not only those in our own family.

I sometimes go to talk with disabled people I see on the city, maybe just ask how was your day, do you like to talk a moment. Most of time they are glad that someone comes to talk with them, show to care their feelings - not just walk away.

| Likes ardianto, Nur Student liked this post
    Team Hoyt

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

observer's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think the thing I love most about this video is that it just shows that people are people are people: disabled, able-bodied or whatever. It's fantastic.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but in the same vein, I cried when I saw this for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzTt1VnHRM

We all complain a lot but really, life is pretty good
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb View Post
    We should remember to make this to everyone whose need help, not only those in our own family.
    True.

Something that really struck me was that Rick Hoyt first wanted his father to race with him to raise money for somebody else who had suffered an accident and was paralysed as a result.
    Rick said that he wanted him to know that you can be disabled and still have a good life!
    | Likes sister herb liked this post
    Team Hoyt

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Life is a test to all of us, not only if we by accident become disabled but also how human we can to be to the others.
    Team Hoyt

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^
    Amen to that, sis
    Team Hoyt

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I sometimes go to talk with disabled people I see on the city, maybe just ask how was your day, do you like to talk a moment. Most of time they are glad that someone comes to talk with them, show to care their feelings - not just walk away.

Life is a test to all of us, not only if we by accident become disabled but also how human we can to be to the others.
    Around 2006 there was a female customer who always came on wheelchair, pushed by a maid because she was too weak to run her wheelchair. She was very skinny woman, with face that showed a suffer of illness. But she still had a spirit of life. She always smile at me when we met.

Yes, I gave her special attention, and special treatment. I did not wait behind the counter when she came. But I always walk up to her and greet her with smile. I always talked with her too. I could feel that she very appreciated it. I could feel a happiness in her smile when she smile at me.

I knew she was suffer from illness, but I also knew that she was suffer from another thing too. She's a woman. I understood, deep in her heart she had a dream to build a family with a man who she loves. But no one who wanted to marry her because her condition.

And suddenly a question appeared in my mind. If I was unmarried and I meet her, would I marry her?. Frankly, I hesitate to say yes although that's only "if". My wife was healthy in that time, and everyone said, she was beautiful.

But then something happened. As you have know, my wife got breast cancer that attacked her bone. In 2012 her condition was becoming worse, and doctor said she would not able to walk again.

Later my wife condition was not different than the customer who I've ever met. She was very skinny and too weak to do something. Her beauty had lost. And her condition was even worse because she had lost her ability to smile although I always smile at her and tried to make her smile. She was always sad and cried.

And I remember the question which ever came into my mind. I realized, I did not marry my customer, but I had a wife who her condition was not different. So, could I still be a husband for her?.

And I answer that question with du'a, wish Allah give me longer time to be her husband, and I promise I would always love her and take care her for the rest of my life. But Allah decided what the best for her. Allah took my wife back to Him.

I am sorry if I always repeat my story again and again. But I will not getting bored to remind the people about love. Love is not rule someone and force her/him to follow what we want. But love is giving what we can give without expecting anything in return.
    | Likes Alpha Dude, glo, sister herb, Nájlá, Nur Student liked this post
    chat Quote

G8R's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Tremendous devotion!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    But love is giving what we can give without expecting anything in return.
    That is very important to remember.
    Team Hoyt

From Occupied Palestine:

chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I am not crying, but smile.

It's sound rude, I know. But I can see something that maybe not everyone can see it.

There's no parent who expect to have disabled child. Mister Hoyt too. But he could accept destiny that happen to his son. I know, deep in his heart, Mister hoyt feel sad, but he doesn't want to sink in sadness. What he want is make his son happy, and he feel a great happiness too when he can do something for his beloved son.

His happiness which makes me smile. I don't want to cry if I could meet them. I just want to smile with them.

| Likes glo, Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

beautiful
    Team Hoyt

15noje9 1 - Team Hoyt
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    I am not crying, but smile.
    I know what you mean, ardianto.

The story doesn't make me cry because I am sad for the hardships this family might have gone through ... but because I am so moved by the power of love and by the endurance this father/son team has shown over the years.

They are not tears of sadness, but tears of joy and amazement.

If I met father Hoyt, I would give him a great big smile too. And a hug if he let me.
    | Likes sister herb, ardianto liked this post
    Team Hoyt

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Nur Student's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Quite inspiring and thought-provoking! I think a part from the book "Message for the Sick" will be good here:

My brother who suffers from a severe illness like apoplexy! Firstly I give you the good news that for believers apoplexy is considered blessed. A long time ago I used to hear this from holy men and I did not know the reason. Now, one reason for it occurs to me, as follows:

In order to attain union with Almighty God, be saved from the spiritual perils of this world, and to win eternal happiness, the people of God have chosen to follow two principles:
    The First is contemplation of death. Thinking that both the world is transitory, and they themselves are temporary guests charged with duties, they work for eternal life in this way.
    The Second: Through fasting, religious exercises and asceticism, they try to kill the evil-commanding soul and so be saved from its dangers and from the blind emotions.
    And you, my brother who has lost the health of half his body! Without choosing it, you have been given these two principles, which are short and easy and the cause of happiness. Thus, the state of your being perpetually warns you of the fleeting nature of the world and that man is transient. The world can no longer drown you, nor heedlessness close your eyes. And for sure, the evil-commanding soul cannot deceive with lowly lust and animal appetites someone in the state of half a man; he is quickly saved from the trials of the soul.
    Thus, through the mystery of belief in God and submission to Him and reliance on Him, a believer can benefit in a brief time from a severe illness like apoplexy, resembling the severe trials of the saints. A severe illness such as that thus becomes exceedingly cheap.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for sharing, Nur Student. Has your brother been like this since birth?
    Can he communicate and tell you how he feels about his life and his situation?
    Team Hoyt

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Nur Student's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, it is not my brother, glo. There, it is addressing to all the believers afflicted with diseases like apoplexy. Sorry for the obscurity.
    chat Quote

23. Hide
Hey there! Team Hoyt Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Team Hoyt