star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is makeup haram to wear?

Report bad ads?

Can Anyone please Help me understand if makeup is haraam to wear ? A evident answer please, please & thank you Is makeup haram to wear?
    Last edited by strivingobserver98; 07-17-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Is makeup haram to wear?

There are already discussions about this matter, like:

Wearing make-up in public..haram or halal?

Is it haraam to wear natural make up?
    Is makeup haram to wear?

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

CalmIslam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank You Is makeup haram to wear?
    chat Quote

greenhill's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Like a lot of the 'fringe' questions where there's not a lot of clear directives to consider, I always go back to the real intention of doing, or wanting to do whatever it is. What IS the intention. Don't kid yourself.

If you are uncertain and feel not right, then leave it. That is waswas.

Is makeup haram to wear?

As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill View Post
    Like a lot of the 'fringe' questions where there's not a lot of clear directives to consider, I always go back to the real intention of doing, or wanting to do whatever it is. What IS the intention. Don't kid yourself.

If you are uncertain and feel not right, then leave it. That is waswas.

Exactly Is makeup haram to wear?️ thank you !
    chat Quote

MuslimInshallah's Avatar Moderator
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

(smile) This question about makeup pops up quite often. Basically, I think it's important to look at what cosmetics do. Then it becomes easier to answer the question of should we wear it.

Essentially, by making your eyes appear larger, and making your cheeks and lips redder, cosmetics simulate sexual arousal in a woman. They also make a woman look younger, healthier and more fertile, traits that other women admire (twinkle. And we do like to compare well with other women!)… but also traits that are sexually attractive to men.

So my question to you Asha would be: knowing that wearing cosmetics make you look like you are sexually aroused… would you want to go out looking like this? Or would you prefer only your husband see you in this state? And do you want to attract men in general to you… or just your husband?

Unless the cosmetics themselves are harmful, either to you or to an another (such as an unborn or breastfed child… and some substances can be harmful- be careful), I don't think that the products themselves are haraam. But just as sexuality is limited in Islam to marital partners, so I personally believe that the use of sexual enhancers such as cosmetics should be limited to our marital partners.

(smile) I hope this helps you.

May Allah, the Guide to the Right Path, Help us to make choices that are Pleasing to Him.
    | Likes sister herb, Naeemahemed liked this post
    Is makeup haram to wear?

Our finitude is our distance from Him. His infinitude is His closeness to us. Abdal-Hakim Murad @Contentions

chat Quote

hisnameiszzz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Can I also just butt in, and apologies if this is not in context with the OP, but if anyone uses skincare, please be sure to check the contents. A lot of creams and lotions have urea in them!
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Also, remember that cosmetic industry still might tests those chemicals of cosmetics by the animals. Is the suffering of innocent animals the price you are ready to pay to looking more attractive?
    Is makeup haram to wear?

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu alaikum ZZZ,

Mmm… I'm assuming that you think the creams are impure because of the urea? Because urea is one of the components of urine? But, you know, urea can be synthesized (and I believe it generally is from artificial synthesis that urea is made for industrial uses). Furthermore, I believe that it is human urine which is that which is impure for us and causes us to need to wash it off before we can pray. (smile) And I think it highly unlikely that human urine would be used to manufacture creams!

Furthermore, urea is naturally produced by our bodies to help keep our skin healthy. (smile) This is one reason we put it in creams. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-...ent-cream.html Are our skins impure? (smile) Also, we can find various salts in urine. And water. Are these substances therefore impure?

I found this fatwa on urea, if you are interested: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=44692

(smile) Thank you for bringing this up; it is an interesting point to consider, and may be one that many people have wondered about.

May Allah, the Designer, Bless those who seek to Please Him.
    | Likes hisnameiszzz, Naeemahemed liked this post
    Is makeup haram to wear?

Our finitude is our distance from Him. His infinitude is His closeness to us. Abdal-Hakim Murad @Contentions

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimInshallah View Post
    Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

(smile) This question about makeup pops up quite often. Basically, I think it's important to look at what cosmetics do. Then it becomes easier to answer the question of should we wear it.

Essentially, by making your eyes appear larger, and making your cheeks and lips redder, cosmetics simulate sexual arousal in a woman. They also make a woman look younger, healthier and more fertile, traits that other women admire (twinkle. And we do like to compare well with other women!)… but also traits that are sexually attractive to men.

So my question to you Asha would be: knowing that wearing cosmetics make you look like you are sexually aroused… would you want to go out looking like this? Or would you prefer only your husband see you in this state? And do you want to attract men in general to you… or just your husband?

Unless the cosmetics themselves are harmful, either to you or to an another (such as an unborn or breastfed child… and some substances can be harmful- be careful), I don't think that the products themselves are haraam. But just as sexuality is limited in Islam to marital partners, so I personally believe that the use of sexual enhancers such as cosmetics should be limited to our marital partners.

May Allah, the Guide to the Right Path, Help us to make choices that are Pleasing to Him.
    That's A Really Great Explanation I was just wondering because there are a lot of sisters in today ummah that wears hijab & also put makeup on so I was confused but thanks I get it now Is makeup haram to wear?
    | Likes MuslimInshallah liked this post
    chat Quote

hisnameiszzz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu alaikum ZZZ,

Mmm… I'm assuming that you think the creams are impure because of the urea? Because urea is one of the components of urine? But, you know, urea can be synthesized (and I believe it generally is from artificial synthesis that urea is made for industrial uses). Furthermore, I believe that it is human urine which is that which is impure for us and causes us to need to wash it off before we can pray. (smile) And I think it highly unlikely that human urine would be used to manufacture creams!

Furthermore, urea is naturally produced by our bodies to help keep our skin healthy. (smile) This is one reason we put it in creams. http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-...ent-cream.html Are our skins impure? (smile) Also, we can find various salts in urine. And water. Are these substances therefore impure?

I found this fatwa on urea, if you are interested: http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=44692

(smile) Thank you for bringing this up; it is an interesting point to consider, and may be one that many people have wondered about.

May Allah, the Designer, Bless those who seek to Please Him.
    Oooh thanks for that auntie MI.

How would one know if it's man made or real urea?

I thought urea and urine were the same thing. And more than a 2p piece worth or urine on clothes or body makes you unclean and therefore have to ghusl before you pray, so I assumed that liberally putting lotion/cream with urea on one's body would equate to more than 2p piece worth. Forgive me if I got it completely wrong. Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree.

I have very dry skin and used to use a certain brand until my Sister told me it had urea in it.
    | Likes MuslimInshallah liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes it is haram. Makeup and jewellery, vain adornments and silk clothing is forbidden. Think Taliban not Times Square prostitute and you will be ok.
    chat Quote

Lady A's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you want to dress up for your husband and use halal cosmetics, then it's not haram. I actually think it's encouraged.

Lot's of girls I know wear make up to parties, weddings (gender separated), etc, but they wear niqab to cover.
    | Likes Lisa921 liked this post
    Is makeup haram to wear?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Yes it is haram. Makeup and jewellery, vain adornments and silk clothing is forbidden. Think Taliban not Times Square prostitute and you will be ok.
    Thank you for your explanation much needed Is makeup haram to wear? salaam
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A View Post
    If you want to dress up for your husband and use halal cosmetics, then it's not haram. I actually think it's encouraged.

Lot's of girls I know wear make up to parties, weddings (gender separated), etc, but they wear niqab to cover.
    Yeah that's understandable Is makeup haram to wear?️ thank you
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It was narrated from Abu Musa that :
    The Messenger of Allah [SAW] said: "
    Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my Ummah, and forbidden to the males."

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ الدِّرْهَمِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي هِنْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ أُحِلَّ الذَّهَبُ وَالْحَرِيرُ لإِنَاثِ أُمَّتِي وَحُرِّمَ عَلَى ذُكُورِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏
    Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)

Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 5148
    In-book reference : Book 48, Hadith 109
    English translation : Vol. 6, Book 48, Hadith 5151

| Likes greenhill, sister herb, Lady A, T L liked this post
    Is makeup haram to wear?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It was narrated from Abu Musa that :
    The Messenger of Allah [SAW] said: "
    Gold and silk have been permitted for the females of my Ummah, and forbidden to the males."

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ الْحُسَيْنِ الدِّرْهَمِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الأَعْلَى، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَيُّوبَ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي هِنْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ أُحِلَّ الذَّهَبُ وَالْحَرِيرُ لإِنَاثِ أُمَّتِي وَحُرِّمَ عَلَى ذُكُورِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏
    Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)

Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 5148
    In-book reference : Book 48, Hadith 109
    English translation : Vol. 6, Book 48, Hadith 5151

In what context is this hadith? As it seems to contradict the Quran. Does it mean in private to please the husband, but surely not public like a decadent pagan?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Awaiting email confirmation
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lady A View Post

This is a good way to use this invention in a positive way. Like everything, there is good uses in just about everything.
    | Likes Lady A liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In what context is this hadith? As it seems to contradict the Quran. Does it mean in private to please the husband, but surely not public like a decadent pagan?
    Assalaamu alaikum Karl,

(mildly) Would you mind quoting the passages you are referencing? And constructing a clear and comprehensive argument for your various assertions?

JazakAllah khairan.
    | Likes Naeemahemed liked this post
    Is makeup haram to wear?

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu alaikum Asha,

I have another question lol Is makeup haram to wear? what if you wear makeup that's not intriguing just an eyeliner on the top eyelid & lipstick ?
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Is makeup haram to wear? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Is makeup haram to wear?