star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Potluck Dinner in My Mosque

Report bad ads?

Basically, next week at my mosque we are having a potluck dinner. This means that the community comes together to have have a feast (I guess) we're all meant to cook and bring in dishes for this gathering.

It will be amazing because my community here in this town is VERY diverse with people from different cultures and ethnicities. It will be a good chance for our community to showcase the varied and different culinary traditions. It will be done buffet style and organised by country.

This means we will have Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, Kurdish, Bosnia, Mali, Senegal, Ethiopia, Somalia, France, India/Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Uzbekistan.

While I'm gonna make some dishes that reflect me and my husbands cultural heritage. I'm gonna make a few dishes that are Brazilian, Lebanese, Azerbaijani and Persian. As I am half Lebanese Brazilian/half Azerbaijani and my husband is Persian plus I like Persian food anyway.

I am really looking forward to it, not just because I a love food and I'll eat lots of diverse foods but also because it will give our community a chance to socialize and know each other more. We do similar stuff like this during Ramadan iftars.

Our mosque here is like an international aiport where the people know each other.

Do any of you guys do stuff like this in your masjids?
    | Likes sister herb, BilalKid liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    strivingobserver98's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    If you can read this please remember me in your duas :P
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Potluck Dinner in My Mosque

Wow, that's great . Are you going to have speakers for lectures too? And are any non Muslims going to attend? Would be a great dawah opportunity.

In our mosque we do big gatherings and feasts like this only when we bring in a speaker. We advertise the poster beforehand so we get many people turn up from all over the UK.
    chat Quote

LusoHijabi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by فرحان View Post

Wow, that's great . Are you going to have speakers for lectures too? And are any non Muslims going to attend? Would be a great dawah opportunity.

In our mosque we do big gatherings and feasts like this only when we bring in a speaker. We advertise the poster beforehand so we get many people turn up from all over the UK.
    No, we're not having a lecture or inviting a speaker. I'm sure the imam will probably give a speech beforehand or something. We're a small community. We're just having this for the community to come together and socialize.

As for non-muslims, they are more than welcome to come and join us eventhough this dinner is more focused on muslims coming together but non muslims can come.
    chat Quote

BilalKid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

whatss potluck mean??
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It means that people make some foods and bring them to the common table where everyone can taste them. You bring some sandwiches, I bring apple pie, sister Lusohijabi brings meatballs... and so on and then we all eat each others foods.

| Likes LusoHijabi liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb View Post
    It means that people make some foods and bring them to the common table where everyone can taste them. You bring some sandwiches, I bring apple pie, sister Lusohijabi brings meatballs... and so on and then we all eat each others foods.

I am SO looking forward to it. I am a real foodie so this will give me the chance to really test out my appetite. Hopefully my stomach will be big enough. Inshallah
    chat Quote

strivingobserver98's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    If you can read this please remember me in your duas :P
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by LusoHijabi View Post
    I am SO looking forward to it. I am a real foodie so this will give me the chance to really test out my appetite. Hopefully my stomach will be big enough. Inshallah
    Can you take some food pics for us . Hope the event goes well .
    chat Quote

LaSorcia's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh my goodness, that sounds like so much fun with food from all those countries. I really like Middle-Eastern food. We have potlucks at some churches- but never with such interesting food. Usually the same old boring hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad and junk food. I won't eat it lol.

What is Brazilian food like?

Someone said it would be a good opportunity to do dawah, they're right. Even if no one converts, sharing inter-faith meals and making peace and friendship is a great idea.
    | Likes Search, sister herb, LusoHijabi liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Maybe your church could one day arrange the potluck with the local mosque for the name of mutual peace and understanding.

But only halal foods then.

| Likes Search liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb View Post
    Maybe your church could one day arrange the potluck with the local mosque for the name of mutual peace and understanding.

But only halal foods then.

Oh I would love if my church would do this. But I don't think most of them would know what halal food was if it hit them in the face. We do have a halal butcher nearby actually though. There are many kosher and halal places near where I live.

I think maybe I need to find a new church, as most of the people there are only cultural Christians. I sometimes live out of my home state, and my church there would be willing to do it, but I doubt there are any Muslims in this tiny, Southern town!
    | Likes LusoHijabi, sister herb liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by LaSorcia View Post
    Oh my goodness, that sounds like so much fun with food from all those countries. I really like Middle-Eastern food. We have potlucks at some churches- but never with such interesting food. Usually the same old boring hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad and junk food. I won't eat it lol.

What is Brazilian food like?

Someone said it would be a good opportunity to do dawah, they're right. Even if no one converts, sharing inter-faith meals and making peace and friendship is a great idea.
    lol, burgers and potato salads can get boring after a while. I can say I am lucky to be part of such a diverse yet small muslim community in my town. The Ramadan iftars are never boring. At our masjid during Ramadan we have a country themed iftars, so one night its Somali food then the next night it is Indian/Pakistan food and so on.

Its funny our Christian friends in this town are very surprised at just how culturallty and ethnically diverse the small muslim community here is, while the churches in this town tend to be quite monocultural and mainly white.

Dont mean to brag

Brazilian food is so amazing as it is very diverse aswell. It has European, African, Arab and Ameridian influences. However some food like the "national dish" like feijoada have pork in them so I cant have it or when I do make it I replace the pork with beef.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

To add to my post, unfortunately, many Americans don't even know what real food is, halal or otherwise. There is no requirement of GMO labeling like there is in the UK. During WW2, food 'products' were developed. Farmers declined. Food 'products' became more profitable; the food God gave us is not profitable to corporations. People blame Americans for being fat, but it is really tough to find real, wholesome food. I married a European, that's how I learned about food lol!

When I was a young child, I read that pig meat was non-kosher/non-halal, so I threw away all the ham in our home. I got yelled at lol, for wasting good food. When I tried to explain that God forbade this food, I was told that was not true any more. As a child, I had to trust in the wisdom of my parents. But, even though I am a Christian and no foods are haram ( the bible does say that "everything is permissible to me, but not everything is advantageous, so have consideration), my family has given up pork 98%. I wish I could say 100%, but I will not lie, even to be liked lol.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh I would love if my church would do this. But I don't think most of them would know what halal food was if it hit them in the face. We do have a halal butcher nearby actually though. There are many kosher and halal places near where I live.

I think maybe I need to find a new church, as most of the people there are only cultural Christians. I sometimes live out of my home state, and my church there would be willing to do it, but I doubt there are any Muslims in this tiny, Southern town!
    That would be a good idea. I'm sure you will be able to find one mosque evwn if it is a small one.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by LusoHijabi View Post
    That would be a good idea. I'm sure you will be able to find one mosque evwn if it is a small one.
    No, I actually looked online, and wasn't able to.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, I actually looked online, and wasn't able to.
    shame, maybe that sort of thing can be done some other time.

May I ask if its ok with you. How ethnically and culturally diverse is your church? You say you live in the south so I presume it is mostly white but maybe you can surprise me lol
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, I live in the North East USA, in a city that is culturally diverse, but when I live in the South, only white folks of Western European ancestry. I also have lived in the UK and plan to live there again soon, Inshallah. That is where I have met most of my Muslim friends.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, I live in the North East USA, in a city that is culturally diverse, but when I live in the South, only white folks of Western European ancestry. I also have lived in the UK and plan to live there again soon, Inshallah. That is where I have met most of my Muslim friends.
    ok so in the city you live in the North East is the church you go to culturally and ethnically diverse?

I used to live in London, now I live in a small town in France.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Not really. Mostly people of European or African ancestry. There is one Aisan and one Indian and one Central American person!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Not really. Mostly people of European or African ancestry. There is one Aisan and one Indian and one Central American person!
    The churches in my area are pretty much 100% white European but since I live in a more rural area then that is expected more. As long as you like your church, feel welcome and enjoy it then all is well.

The Christians here often dont notice the muslims here but when they do come into our mosque to meet the community they are surprised by the ethnic and cultural diversity of our small but tight knit community, in my area pretty much all the non whites are muslims, even the muslims here are surprised by that fact
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think this is still same in many communities in the West. The Westerners are minority in the West when it goes to the Islamic communitites. Maybe after decades it will change - when islam will spread more.
    | Likes LusoHijabi liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

chat Quote

26. Hide
Hey there! Potluck Dinner in My Mosque Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Potluck Dinner in My Mosque