× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 36 visibility 5520

saying merry christmas

BilalKid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

saying merry christmas

Report bad ads?

meaning of actual word merry christmas?

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    HappyMuslimaa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: saying merry christmas

For Christians this is a religious phrase per how they celebrate the holiday and what it means to them. They being Christians worship 'the christ' who they believe is Jesus or Isa, and mark this day as his birthday which is why it's called CHRISTmas.( My family is Christian )
    To many others who are non-christian or non-religious it can have a secular meaning just in the spirit of happiness and celebration of giving gifts and families and so forth. In it's place one could also say Happy Holidays which refers to the season wholly without reference to a singled religious holding
    | Likes Pygoscelis, Lanie Vinther liked this post
    chat Quote

HappyMuslimaa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Whether it is permissible for believers, itis not appropriate. Though views may differ.
    This is a link to a similar thread discussing the permissibility of the phrase: Permissible to say 'Merry Christmas'?
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

merry (adj.)

Old English myrge "pleasing, agreeable, pleasant, sweet; pleasantly, melodiously," from Proto-Germanic *murgijaz, which probably originally meant "short-lasting," (compare Old High German murg "short," Gothic gamaurgjan "to shorten"), from PIE *mreghu- "short" (see brief (adj.)). The only exact cognate for meaning outside English was Middle Dutch mergelijc "joyful."

Connection to "pleasure" is likely via notion of "making time fly, that which makes the time seem to pass quickly" (compare German Kurzweil "pastime," literally "a short time;" Old Norse skemta "to amuse, entertain, amuse oneself," from skamt, neuter of skammr "short"). There also was a verbal form in Old English, myrgan "be merry, rejoice."

Bot vchon enle we wolde were fyf, þe mo þe myryer. [c. 1300]

The word had much wider senses in Middle English, such as "pleasant-sounding" (of animal voices), "fine" (of weather), "handsome" (of dress), "pleasant-tasting" (of herbs). Merry-bout "an incident of sexual intercourse" was low slang from 1780. Merry-begot "illegitimate" (adj.), "*******" (n.) is from 1785. Merrie England (now frequently satirical or ironic) is 14c. meri ingland, originally in a broader sense of "bountiful, prosperous." Merry Monday was a 16c. term for "the Monday before Shrove Tuesday" (Mardi Gras).

Source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...wed_in_frame=0

Christmas (n.)

late Old English Cristes mæsse, from Christ (and retaining the original vowel sound) + mass (n.2).

Written as one word from mid-14c. As a verb from 1590s. Father Christmas first attested in a carol attributed to Richard Smart, Rector of Plymtree (Devon) from 1435-77. Christmas tree in modern sense first attested 1835 in American English, from German Weihnachtsbaum. Christmas cards first designed 1843, popular by 1860s. Christmas Eve is Middle English Cristenmesse Even (c. 1300).

Source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...wed_in_frame=0

The first reference I can find in the OED to "Merry Christmas" is from 1534. This date very roughly corresponds with the English Reformation and Henry VIII's breach with Rome.

From that time the idea of a "Merry Christmas" seems to take off with several entries in the 17th century. But it cannot, surely, have been protestants, let alone puritans, who promoted the idea of a 'Merry Christmas', since the word merry suggests at least mild intoxication.

Charles II (1630–1685) was known as the Merry Monarch, a reference to his lifestyle, many mistresses, and his annulment of the puritan laws instituted by Cromwell.

Source: http://english.stackexchange.com/que...erry-christmas
    | Likes MuslimInshallah liked this post
    saying merry christmas

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"Merry Christmas" doesn't bother me any more than "Oh My God", "By Jove" or "Holy Cow!"

These sayings have taken on a secular meaning that goes beyond the religious one they may also hold for others.

I tend to wish people "Happy Holidays" because it covers a number of holidays, but I am in no way insulted or demeaned when people wish me a "Merry Christmas".
    | Likes HappyMuslimaa, Search, DanEdge, Sunnie Ameena liked this post
    chat Quote

TMGuide's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In America I hear that it is politically correct to say happy holidays, can't remember the exact reason but I had always heard poeple say merry Christmas everywhere else.
    chat Quote

Moshy's Avatar Mobile Member
    brightness_1
    I'm on mobile
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Merry means joyful, happy and pleasant.

Christmas: the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth, held on 25 December in the Western Church.

It is not permissible to wish non-Muslims during their festivals.

" The non-Muslims display acts of Kufr during their festivals. To wish them in their festivals is a sign of complacency to Kufr.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best"
    -Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Some say Muslims cant say it, some say Muslims can.

If you ask me, im not so comfortable in saying it.
    Last edited by Moshy; 12-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by TMGuide View Post
    In America I hear that it is politically correct to say happy holidays, can't remember the exact reason but I had always heard poeple say merry Christmas everywhere else.
    In old English still has some alternative meanings for the word "merry" as "tipsy" or "drunk".

The alternative "Happy Christmas" gained wide usage in the late 19th century, and is still common in the United Kingdom and Ireland. One reason may be the alternative meaning, still current there, of "merry" as "tipsy" or "drunk." Queen Elizabeth II is said to prefer "Happy Christmas" for this reason. In American poet Clement Moore's "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (1823), the final line, originally written as "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night," has been changed in many editions to "Merry Christmas to all", perhaps indicating the relative popularity of the phrases in the United States.
    Saying "happy" might also refer to other greeting as "Happy Holidays", which includes also all other holidays near of the Christmas time like Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, the December solstice, Christmas and the New Year.

http://askville.amazon.com/start-Mer...questId=428207

Yep, saying as "be happy at Christmas" sounds much more politically correct than saying "be drunk at Christmas".
    | Likes TMGuide liked this post
    saying merry christmas

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

DanEdge's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

I prefer "Happy Holidays." Many religions and cultures celebrate holidays during the traditional season changes: springs, summer, fall, winter. Christmas falls on the winter solstice, as do countless holidays for countless religions in the history of the world.

Here in America, Christmas is mostly about family, friends, presents, and a few days off from work than anything about Christ. We can all celebrate, no matter our beliefs. I don't really like saying "Merry Christmas," but it doesn't offend me when people say it to me. I know what they mean.

--Dan Edge
    | Likes TMGuide, Search liked this post
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Walter's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi All:

In countries with a history of Christianity, giving and receiving the greeting is simply being polite. If you reside in a location where the greeting is common, then you should participate in order to be a polite resident.

If by participating your conscience offends you, then perhaps you should not say it. Instead, you should investigate why you are offended. The problem may lie within you, or with what you have been taught.

Before I read the Qur'an, I was taught that it was a book of the devil, and I read it with much trepidation. Now I know better. Therefore, the problem was not with the book, but with me and what I was taught. Similarly, if you feel offended, then that should prompt you to honestly investigate why. Honest investigations mean that you consider both sides of an argument.

Best regards.
    saying merry christmas

"Truth can withstand rigorous scrutiny.
    Error needs aggressive protection by academics, judges, politicians, and religious leaders."
    G.P II
    chat Quote

M.I.A.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

...I think our apprehension around the subject differs for any of us.

At the most extreme end are those that question the actual practices of Christmas.. Those that say it has paganistic origins which are not grounded within Christianity.

In the middle are those that get kinda upset about the middle ground practices, alcohol and excess that sort of thing.

And I guess then there are the merry Christmas brigade.... That realise how fickle the majority are..and don't wish to incite a "good will to all" kinda response.

But I think most of the above should remember that Jesus AS is a prophet of Allah swt, in case we are incited to forget.

Should be easier this time round to see how religion changes over time, unless the internet goes down.
    Last edited by M.I.A.; 12-15-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dear MIA:

I also have heard the same range of views expressed. But the remedy remains - if one feels offended, then the one who wants to grow will investigate the reason for the offense.

1. Pagan Origins

The origin is the celebration of Jesus's birth. The justification for celebrating is that the angels celebrated, singing: "Glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace, goodwill toward men." (Luke 2:14).

The problem arose because some questioned the accuracy of the birth date and the date's alignment with Roman pagan activities. However, whether the date is similar by coincidence or by design, it does not diminish the fact that the origin is the celebration of Jesus' birth.

2. Alcohol and other excesses

Some people will use any opportunity to have a party, and many may be offended at the excesses. However, the abuse of the celebration is more a reflection of the abuser and not the celebration. For the sake of peace, I will tolerate my neighbour's excesses ... up to a point. If my neighbour insists on loud music after midnight, and will not reduce the volume, then I can call the police, not to make any arrests, but to adjudicate the reasonableness of my neighbour's actions.

Best regards.
    saying merry christmas

Error needs aggressive protection by academics, judges, politicians, and religious leaders."
    G.P II
    chat Quote

lonewolf007's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

just stick with saying happy holidays or happy season greetings, that sounds about right right?
    | Likes HappyMuslimaa liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Perhaps, but it is neither accurate nor logical. The celebration is called Christmas and it is a public holiday. It is as ludicrous as stating "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Thanksgiving" or "Happy Independence Day" or "Happy" any other celebration that happens to be a public holiday. Why the discrimination against Christmas?

Best regards.
    | Likes sfontel liked this post
    saying merry christmas

G.P II
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Search's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi, Walter!

I have been reading some of your posts and have found them really thoughtful.

That said, I am of the same mind as Pygoscelis and DanEdge, and therefore I think I'd like to put forward one of the many reason many people do like to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." Honestly, I think we as Americans generally tend to shy away from discussing religion in public spheres like the workplace wherein our work and attitude towards our work is considered part of how we exhibit our professionalism. Also, wishing someone "Happy Holidays" is probably the most polite and courteous way of showing our well-wishing without making a presumption about an individual's religion or lack thereof. I don't see it as discrimination against Christmas but a way of sharing in the spirit of generosity and caring that characterizes the holiday without actually singling person(s) out for what we think might be their religion in a way that might cause inadvertent umbrage in a more sensitive person. For example, I don't presume that so-and-so person is a Christian as he/she may well be an atheist or even a Jew or a Hindu or a Christian who chooses not to celebrate Christmas; information like this is not within the realm of my or anyone's personal knowledge unless a colleague takes the initiative to share that information with the person in question.

Hope that helps. Thanks.

format_quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Perhaps, but it is neither accurate nor logical. The celebration is called Christmas and it is a public holiday. It is as ludicrous as stating "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Thanksgiving" or "Happy Independence Day" or "Happy" any other celebration that happens to be a public holiday. Why the discrimination against Christmas?

Best regards.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don´t see it´s right to wish this holiday to others, also not answer to it if they do it the first. It´s like I would accept and agree with them all this stuff what the Christianity teaches - like being son of the God. Of my mind it´s insult against the prophet of Islam, prophet Isa (or Jesus to some others). If someone says me this greeting (most of my friends don´t as I have told them before this is not my holiday and they respect me), I usually greet them just Have a nice day to you. And smile kindly.
    saying merry christmas

From Occupied Palestine:

chat Quote

Saqib Zaid's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam teaches his followers to play a positive , polite and gentle role in their societies. saying happy Christmas or saying merry Christmas , It depends on intention.
    As a Muslim we believe that Jesus is a creature of God, He is true messenger . However neither he is son of God nor God has any relative or partner in any sense .
    Islam does not forbid to wish anyone unless such wishing are against the basic teaching of Quran.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dear Search:

Thank you for your kind words.

My personal opinion is that if you live in a country where a celebration has been made a public holiday, then the polite thing to do is to mention that holiday by name.

Some countries are founded on Christian traditions, some on Hindu, some on Islamic, etc. I am currently working in Trinidad where most of the population is either Christian, Muslim or Hindu. The major celebrations of all three religions have been made public holidays. As a Christian, I accept the greetings of all with a polite “thank-you”, but only give greetings that celebrate the Christian holidays.

Best regards.
    saying merry christmas

G.P II
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dear Sister Herb & Saqib:

As previously mentioned, if persons feel offended by something, it is beneficial for them to investigate why.

Please be advised that the Bible does not appear to support the teaching that Jesus is God, and the Qur’anic concept of Son of God is entirely different to the Biblical concept. You may wish to review the evidence on prior posts since it is an issue that has unnecessarily kept Christians and Muslims apart for the past 1,300 years.

Best regards.
    saying merry christmas

G.P II
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hello

That´s a good advice and I made search about greeting the holidays. All sources said the same: "It is not permissible to wish non-Muslims Merry Christmas." So as I wrote, it´s needed to looking for some other ways to be polite to others.

Have a nice day to you.
    saying merry christmas

From Occupied Palestine:

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! saying merry christmas Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. saying merry christmas