× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 25 visibility 10704

My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!

brightness_1
    Account Disabled on Request
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

I saw an advertisement on kijji for an 8 weeks old kitten that was on sale(free) and the owner even delivered it to me.She is a white kitten with black spots and it was so cute at first but now it’s just really aggressive. She won’t stop jumping around and I’m assuming she wants to play but when I play with her, she'll starts scratching and biting me. I found poop everywhere this morning and she doesn’t want to use the litter box. The owner won’t take her back and I don’t want to abandon her. I don’t think she has her vaccinations either because she’s constantly scratching itself and the owner never mentioned on the Ad. I did some research and it might be fleas or allergies. Who knew keeping a pet would be this stressfulI’m thinking of taking her to the SPCA but I doubt she’ll stay still in the car. In the meantime how can I get her trust?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    muslimah_B's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!

format_quote Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
    I saw an advertisement on kijji for an 8 weeks old kitten that was on sale(free) and the owner even delivered it to me.She is a white kitten with black spots and it was so cute at first but now it’s just really aggressive. She won’t stop jumping around and I’m assuming she wants to play but when I play with her, she'll starts scratching and biting me. I found poop everywhere this morning and she doesn’t want to use the litter box. The owner won’t take her back and I don’t want to abandon her. I don’t think she has her vaccinations either because she’s constantly scratching itself and the owner never mentioned on the Ad. I did some research and it might be fleas or allergies. Who knew keeping a pet would be this stressfulI’m thinking of taking her to the SPCA but I doubt she’ll stay still in the car. In the meantime how can I get her trust?
    Kittens at that age are very very very playfull !!!

Sometimes they do poop outside the litter box but you have to be very patient and clean it up and properly disinfect the area, as when they pee and poop thier scent is left there and will return to that same area to carry on there.

Make sure the litterbox is 3/4 full of the SAME litter the kitten was use to before then you slowly beging changing it to whichever you prefer, but you have to make it a gradual process.

As its a white kitten you would be able to see if there are any fleas or ticks just gently pick it up and seperate her fur and have a look.

With playing (which i learnt the hard way) use a toy so they vent their playfull behaviour on the toy not you or your hands, if you carry on using your hands or body to play with, when they grow older they will see your hands as a free zone to attack as they would a toy lol.

Just remember the kitten is most probably scared, your a brand new person, new sights and smells to take in, just give it some time to settle in. In sha Allah

Is the kitten drinking and eating fine ?
    Are her eyes and nose clear ? (Any discharge or cloudy eyes are a sign of illness)

And where did you put the litter tray ?
    | Likes aminah996, Aisha, drac16, Cpt.America, noraina liked this post

Narrated Jubair ibn Mut’im: The Messenger of Allah (S.A.W), said: "He is not one us who calls for `Asabiyah, (nationalism/tribalism) or who fights for `Asabiyah or who dies for `Asabiyah." [Sunan Abu Dawud (Vol. 2, pg. 753) No. 5121]
    chat Quote

drac16's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Kittens are very curious creatures, so they will often run around and chew on things for what seems like no reason. You can gain her trust by making her understand that you're not a threat to her. Right now she's going through a big change in her lifestyle, so please be patient with her. I do volunteer work at an animal Hospital and when we have a new kitten come in, I look at it in the eyes and speak softly, for example: I say "Hi there, Sweet heart. We're going to be good friends, aren't we? ". Even if the cat hisses at me or swats at me, I do it anyway. Give it a shot. Show her that she has nothing to fear by speaking gently to her. She may not know what you're saying, but cats can judge your mood based on your tone of voice. She'll slowly learn that she can trust you.

I can't promise that she'll be a total sweetheart overnight, but I know that cats can make tremendous progress with gentleness and patience. I swear by Allah, I have cared for cats that were super aggressive and they turned into tolerant, albeit shy cats (although it took a few months of slowly making progress). One more thing: respect your cat's space. She's probably shy due to her change in environment, but it's important to respect her space. She doesn't need to be coddled and bothered all the time. Sometimes it's best to just leave a cat alone and let it adapt on its own. Inshallah, please be patient with your kitten. I would be saddened if you decided to let her go.
    | Likes muslimah_B, aminah996, noraina liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is the kitten drinking and eating fine ?
    i bought some wet cat food but she wouldn't eat it so i give her temptation cat snacks and she really likes it.

we have an empty closet so i placed the litter box in there but she wouldn't use it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i bought some wet cat food but she wouldn't eat it so i give her temptation cat snacks and she really likes it.

we have an empty closet so i placed the litter box in there but she wouldn't use it.[/QUOTE]

Can you ask the person who you got the kitten off
    What the exact food she ate was, if you have something different that could be the reason why she isnt eating, if it is the same food then she could still be nervous and with time she will eventually get hungry and just eat it
    Also make sure she has fresh water everyday seperate from her food (dont give her milk you drink it could hurt her tummy there are special kitten and cat milks)

Also with the litter tray make sure she can access it at all times, even pick her up and show her where the litter tray is and let her have a good sniff (what i done before was i picked her up and plunked her in the tray so she knew where it was and could sniff it and know this is where the toilet is)

And defo use the snacks as a way to gain trust with you so everytime she comes close to you then give her a treat, so she will associate you with good things

Narrated Jubair ibn Mut’im: The Messenger of Allah (S.A.W), said: "He is not one us who calls for `Asabiyah, (nationalism/tribalism) or who fights for `Asabiyah or who dies for `Asabiyah." [Sunan Abu Dawud (Vol. 2, pg. 753) No. 5121]
    chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

that cat will be better off in the wild, its natural instinct is to do its own thing - and not be closed in by walls... recognise.

15noje9 1 - My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

it pooped again and i just stepped on it If anyone lives around the GTA that would like this kitten or know someone who would please let me know otherwise i have to let it out on the streets!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

it pooped again and i just stepped on it If anyone lives around the GTA that would like this kitten or know someone who would please let me know otherwise i have to let it out on the streets!
    Why would you do that
    Its a poor innocent defenceless kitten, it doesnt know any better, anything could happen to it if you just let it out on the streets

Why would you get a kitten in the first place if your not willing to deal with mess it makes, its not a toy you can just get rid off because it doesnt act how you expect it to.

Learn patience, its going to make mess its a baby you have to deal with it and be patient if it makes a mess you clean it then pick up the kitten and put it into the litter box so it can sniff it so it knows where to do this, you have to keep repeating these steps untill it learns

If you cant deal with it then at least for the sake of the kitten take it to a animal shelter with a no kill policy
    Last edited by muslimah_B; 06-16-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    | Likes noraina liked this post

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

264e4746f51cd58f2593cf95e69ad494 1 - My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!
    | Likes noraina liked this post
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why would you get a kitten in the first place if your not willing to deal with mess it makes, its not a toy you can just get rid off because it doesnt act how you expect it to.
    i got because i heard pets are therapeutic and can help with anxiety, depression, stress, etc. so far it has caused me stress

Learn patience, its going to make mess its a baby you have to deal with it and be patient if it makes a mess you clean it then pick up the kitten and put it into the litter box so it can sniff it so it knows where to do this, you have to keep repeating these steps untill it learns
    hmm... you don't think I've tried that. this cat doesn't like the litter box it just wants to poop around the house. I cant be patient anymore our house is literally starting to smell!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i got because i heard pets are therapeutic and can help with anxiety, depression, stress, etc. so far it has only caused me stress

hmm... you don't think I've tried that. this cat doesn't like the litter box it just wants to poop around the house. I cant be patient anymore our house is literally starting to smell!!
    1st of all take a deep breath and breatheeeee ok
    Breathe in and out !!!

How long have you have the kitten for ?

Is the litter in the litterbox the same as the kitten was using before ?

chat Quote

Aisha's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Jewel of IB
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The poor thing will probably be killed if you let her go. She's so cute.
    Sounds like the previous owner didn't litter train her. I had an 8 week old kitten many moons ago but she was as good as gold, never made a mess outside the tray - even when I'd JUST emptied the litter and she found the tray empty lol.

I second what sis @muslimah_B has said. Pets are a big responsibility, you should've looked into this before you got the kitten. Try and be patient sis. She's just a baby and may get better with time. Once she's a little older, she'll probably use the garden (or other people's gardens!) as her toilet unless you keep her as a house cat.

If she has fleas, please take her to the vet or get some flea treatment from there. One application (just a spray to the neck) lasts a couple of months.

Please keep us updated sis. May Allah reward you for your kindness. Ameen.
    | Likes Scimitar, muslimah_B, noraina, aminah996 liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

1st of all take a deep breath and breatheeeee ok
    Breathe in and out !!!
    *Taking a deep breath*
    and Out!

How long have you have the kitten for ?

I have had for couple days

Is the litter in the litterbox the same as the kitten was using before ?
    No i had to purchase everything myself so everything is new.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

*Taking a deep breath*
    and Out!

I have had for couple days

No i had to purchase everything myself so everything is new.
    Ok so the problem could be one of 2 things either she isnt litter trained or the litter you are using she is not used to the smell so doesnt know it is actually for her toilet

So if your able to get into contact with the person who you got her off and ask them
    - what kitty litter was used
    - what food (wet and dry)
    -has it been vaccinated
    -has it been deflead and de-wormed

If that is not possible let me know and i can post some websites and videos that can help you train the kitty to use the litter tray from scratch

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    noraina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    * Tawakkul *
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu alaykum

Please don't abandon the kitten! Abandoning a defenceless animal would be such an awful thing to do. The animals in our care are a trust we have taken upon ourselves, and they would be a means of such huge reward if you were to take care of them as well inshaAllah. So many hadiths relate to the immense reward in taking care of these creatures.

That kitten is adorable, she needs a little training but trust me she's probably less of a handful than most human toddlers .

I have never owned a cat myself, so the others here can give you the technical information. If you looked for a forum or something relating to cat-keeping, that would help you so much, you would get practical advice and all.

Keeping animals are so therapeutic! At first it can be stressful, but once you get into the routine just looking at these innocent little creatures will bring a smile to your face, and there will be such a strong attachment if this kitten grows up with you and it will be a lifelong friend.
    | Likes muslimah_B, aminah996 liked this post

Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

islamb 1 - My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!

chat Quote

piXie's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sounds like a nightmare.
    chat Quote

aminah996's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes upon reading the comments I completely agree on what I've just read. I've never owned a kitten or a pet myself. But I can understand that they're just like babies or even adopting a child to a new family. They need love support and time. They haven't been created to just adapt to the situations. As we can see the kitten is in its early weeks of living with you sister. So you must train it and bare patience with it. Just like you would with your own child when it's newborn and isn't familiar with the world. It would be cruel to leave it outside. He has a life and should be respected. I hope you can take the time of training him with patience. And later on it will bear loads of rewards and nevertheless the kitten will love you even more for taking the time to train him. I hope this message finds you well. Please be patient with the kitten. He needs love & support with his new family My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!
    | Likes muslimah_B liked this post
    chat Quote

aminah996's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

From his new family* My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

@Dreamchaser

Dear sis how are things going today ?

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    T L's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ah you really should've read up enough about taking care of cats before you got her, and you shouldve asked the owner questions like is she litter trained, what food she eats etc.

Normally kittens are vaccinated at around 12 weeks approx, and then every year they get a flu booster shot, but she needs to be wormed and deflead, otherwise youre going to have a flea infestation in your home, and trust me you dont want that. Litter train her from scratch, and shes going to be full of energy cos at this age they're a tiny ball of electricity, so biting trying to wrestle wth your hand is fun for them. To get her to trust you more you'll have to buy some treats.

It's not easy having a cat, they are wild creatures, and need to be trained/domesticated. And they are not cheap either to maintain.
    You will need to take her to the vets get her registered, pay for her vaccinations, flea and worming treatments. And of course buying cat litter and catfood and allllll that mumbo jumbo. It adds up. They are a big responsibility. Oh and microchipping her if you let her out should she get lost.

Hope it goes well insha'Allah. If you can't take care of her, then please find her another owner otherwise you will have the endless guilt of just dumping her.
    | Likes muslimah_B liked this post

We
    rise in the dying.

~ Asfurat al Jannah ~

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! My new kitten is driving me nuts!!! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. My new kitten is driving me nuts!!!