star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Amrita of Islam?

Report bad ads?

In the Hindu religion there is a God named "Soma" which is believed to be a Plant. There is debate about which Plant Soma was. Some people believe Soma was an Amanita Muscaria Mushroom. Others think Psilocybin Mushrooms. Others think Marijuana.

Soma is also called "Amrita".

This word, "Amrita" is found in other religions. In Buddhism the word for Amrita is "Amata". In the Greek religion, "Ambrosia". In the Sikh religion, "Amrit". The Zoroastrians call Soma "Haoma".

Would anyone know if there is a word derived from Amrita or Soma in the Islamic religion.

The meaning of the word is "Immortality".
    | Likes Muslim Woman, Scimitar liked this post

2. Report bad ads?
    Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Amrita of Islam?

From what I have studied of the Hindu scriptures, The Hindu deity, Shiva smoked all the marijuana so I doubt it's marijuana.

Also, you got Yogi bawa's in the Kush mountains smoking it still - so that puts a big question mark on Shiva smoking all the dope up - also, didn't he smoke it all up so others couldn't? Seems like Shiva failed, no?

Scimi
    | Likes Regrets1, m786 liked this post
    Amrita of Islam?

15noje9 1 - Amrita of Islam?

Regrets1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar View Post
    From what I have studied of the Hindu scriptures, The Hindu deity, Shiva smoked all the marijuana so I doubt it's marijuana.

Also, you got Yogi bawa's in the Kush mountains smoking it still - so that puts a big question mark on Shiva smoking all the dope up - also, didn't he smoke it all up so others couldn't? Seems like Shiva failed, no?

Scimi
    LOLL! Cracked me up
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Some say that the Devas prevented the Asuras from obtaining the Amrita made by the "churning of the ocean of milk". However, your observation is correct in that the Asuras obviously were able to obtain Them.
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cisz View Post
    Some say that the Devas prevented the Asuras from obtaining the Amrita made by the "churning of the ocean of milk". However, your observation is correct in that the Asuras obviously were able to obtain Them.
    This assumes that the substance in question was marijuana.

You mentioned other substances too, and from what little I know - the proto Indo-Iranians also said the same about the Soma (pron. Sauma).

It is worthy to note that the substances are mentioned in two cultures - Indo-Iranian and North Indian. I do not think this substance existed outside of these areas and so any research into territories north of the Himalaya's requires some explanation.

Having said this, there is a well known tradition among Hinduism regarding the "fair headed races of the North". No doubt, these fables were embellishment from the Indo-Aryan peoples (fair headed people who migrated to India through the Indus valley and settled North India in ancient times). If we take this into consideration then there is a possibility that the substance in question is actually something from another land - but this remains a slim opening. The reason being is that India is well known for its Ayurveda and it's understanding of the human body in terms of medicine and good health/wellbeing. In fact no other culture from ancient times had expended such effort into understanding the human body, it's ailments and treatments and India spawned the first culture which actually championed such a cause - quite an achievement as Ayurveda still survives and is practiced today (I, myself take Mukta Vati tablets from the Divya Pharmacy when I feel restless).

There are many such plants in India (a naturally rich and fertile land) which could be Soma. One of which is Aswaghanda, a digestive aid said to increase vitality and strength if taken regularly - this is very important to know since in Indian Ayurveda the belief is that all illnesses of the body stem from the stomach. If the stomach is in good health then the body will follow.

With this understanding we can start to understand the medical logic which Ayurveda follows.

In some Vedic texts, the Soma is known to be a grass type seed - I present Fennel seeds, also a digestive aid... problem with this logic is that there are many such herbs, plants and seeds which are known to aid digestion and strengthen the stomach.

I theorize that the idea of Soma being an unique plant was no longer a consideration once Ayurveda was widely established in India - many such plants, seeds and herbs were now competing with each other and the Soma mentioned in ancient text and so - with the perfection of Ayurveda (blending of plant, seed and herb), such ideas as Soma being a miracle plant eventually faded into obscurity as the science of Ayurveda became more practiced and the results of which, more widely applauded.

Today, the reputation of Ayurveda being a medical alternative has reached far and wide and no corner of the globe is without it. Soma, has left a legacy in Ayurveda which has perfected the traditions of Ayurveda in India.

I hope this helps.

Scimi

EDIT: as an afterthought it did occur to me that Hindu's do not eat meat and have the highest stat of Anemia in the world due to their being very little to no iron in the Hindu diet.

Hence I think another opening for you would be to investigate which plants, seeds and herbs contain iron or other ferrous elements which when ingested - would empower the person with what would seem to them to be "super human strength, and vitality".

Bless,

Scimi
    Last edited by Scimitar; 06-20-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Amrita of Islam?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for your reply.

I am convinced that Soma/Amrita was/is Entheogenic Plants.

Soma was known for producing Light when ingested. E.g.,

"1. ENGENDERING the Sun in floods, engendering heaven's lights, green-hued, Robed in the waters and the milk,
    2 According to primeval plan this Soma, with his stream,
    effused Flows purely on, a God for Gods." --Rg Veda, Book 9, HYMN 42. Soma Pavamana

Soma was called "the Creator of the Gods".

But, my purpose in making this post was to see if there is an equivalent in Islam to Soma/Amrita seeing that the Buddhists, Sikhs, Greeks, and Zoroastrians all have words that were derived from Them.

I would think that the Hebrews did also. Isaiah and Ezekiel both refer to "Ari-el" which I would think refers back to "Ary-an"

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, the two are mutually exclusive.

With regard to the "Light" verses, these are allegorical and not to be interpreted in any literal sense.

Scimi
    Amrita of Islam?

Predator's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cisz ,do you worship idols ?
    Amrita of Islam?

When truth is hurled at falsehood , falsehood perishes. because falsehood by its nature is bound to perish [21:18- Holy quran]

OmAbdullah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for your reply.

"1. ENGENDERING the Sun in floods, engendering heaven's lights, green-hued, Robed in the waters and the milk,
    effused Flows purely on, a God for Gods." --Rg Veda, Book 9, HYMN 42. Soma Pavamana

But, my purpose in making this post was to see if there is an equivalent in Islam to Soma/Amrita seeing that the Buddhists, Sikhs, Greeks, and Zoroastrians all have words that were derived from Them.

I would think that the Hebrews did also. Isaiah and Ezekiel both refer to "Ari-el" which I would think refers back to "Ary-an"

You are manifestly bringing shirk in your posts and even are trying to give it place in Islam. This is a very wrong attempt. There is no place for shirk (polytheism) in Islam. We believe in absolutely One God Allah and that is the Creator of all. It is better for you to stop such wrong attempts.
    | Likes sister herb liked this post

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Honestly I don't think that was his intention - he is simply attempting to find this miracle plant which doesn't deliver what it says it does - a wild goose chase which leads him into territories that he would otherwise not entertain.

nbegum he has not mentioned what religion he belongs to nor has he proselytising for any faith - rather he was attempting to find comparatives from other faiths and cultures which may shed light on his search for the soma plant.

Scimi
    Amrita of Islam?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for your reply.

My point is that there are Plants that do produce "the Sun in floods" and "Heaven's Lights" literally.

When the Reality exists, why settle for "figuratively"?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, the two are mutually exclusive.

With regard to the "Light" verses, these are allegorical and not to be interpreted in any literal sense.

Scimi
    I had meant to reply to this quote and not quote myself.

I don't see a way to edit my posts.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nbegam View Post
    You are manifestly bringing shirk in your posts and even are trying to give it place in Islam. This is a very wrong attempt. There is no place for shirk (polytheism) in Islam. We believe in absolutely One God Allah and that is the Creator of all. It is better for you to stop such wrong attempts.
    I hadn't intended to get into what my beliefs are, but since I'm being asked --

I would point out that the Hebrew word for God/Allah is "Elohim", which is plural.

The Bible begins with Genesis which reads:
    "In the beginning Elohim created the Heavens and the earth."

That is -- "In the beginning, the Gods created the Heavens and the earth."

Also, in Genesis, after Eve and Adam ate the Fruit of Knowledge, the "Lord God", also called, in Hebrew, "Adonai Elohim" says "Now man has become as one of us, knowing good and evil." This makes it obvious that there was more than one God.

My understanding of "monotheism" and the "one God" is that there is a Unity of Will and Purpose of all the Plants which make up the Body of "Soma".

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I hadn't intended to get into what my beliefs are, but since I'm being asked --

I would point out that the Hebrew word for God/Allah is "Elohim", which is plural.

The Bible begins with Genesis which reads:
    "In the beginning Elohim created the Heavens and the earth."

That is -- "In the beginning, the Gods created the Heavens and the earth."

Also, in Genesis, after Eve and Adam ate the Fruit of Knowledge, the "Lord God", also called, in Hebrew, "Adonai Elohim" says "Now man has become as one of us, knowing good and evil." This makes it obvious that there was more than one God.

My understanding of "monotheism" and the "one God" is that there is a Unity of Will and Purpose of all the Plants which make up the Body of "Soma".
    Oh boy, you gonna love this: The Concept of God

Scimi
    Amrita of Islam?

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My point is that there are Plants that do produce "the Sun in floods" and "Heaven's Lights" literally.

When the Reality exists, why settle for "figuratively"?
    It was not literal in meaning but allegorical - i'm an Indian btw and studied the Hindu scriptures. I know their contexts, co-texts and application. I think you are entertaining a fantasy.

Scimi
    | Likes m786 liked this post
    Amrita of Islam?

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum cisz.

In the Hindu religion there is a God named "Soma" which is believed to be a Plant. There is debate about which Plant Soma was. Some people believe Soma was an Amanita Muscaria Mushroom. Others think Psilocybin Mushrooms. Others think Marijuana.

Soma is also called "Amrita".

This word, "Amrita" is found in other religions. In Buddhism the word for Amrita is "Amata". In the Greek religion, "Ambrosia". In the Sikh religion, "Amrit". The Zoroastrians call Soma "Haoma".

Would anyone know if there is a word derived from Amrita or Soma in the Islamic religion.
    No, because these concepts are the opposite of Islam. Islam stands out from other religions in its unwaivering knowledge and belief in One God.

In ancient Greek mythology Ambrosia was the food of the so called gods. Allah, our Creator, our Lord, our sustainer, says in the Qur'an:

Say, "Is it other than Allah I should take as a protector, Creator of the heavens and the earth, while it is He who feeds and is not fed?" Say, [O Muhammad], "Indeed, I have been commanded to be the first [among you] who submit [to Allah ] and [was commanded], 'Do not ever be of the polytheists.' " (Qur'an, 6:14)

(emphasis mine)

Anyone or anything that needs food or drink, cannot be God.

Neither a drink, nor a plant, nor a human, nor an animal, is God.

We worship our God, the One and only True God, other than whom there is no God, without any associates in His Exclusive Divinity, the creator of the heavens and the Earth

He alone should be worshipped. He is our Creator, Sustainer, and Lord.

He does not beget, nor is He begotten. He has no sons, daughters, spouses, siblings, parents, cousins, or relatives of any sort.

He is eternal and does not die. He does not depend on anyone/anything yet we all depend on Him. He is free of all want and need.

There is nothing like Him. He is all Hearing, all Seeing, all Knowing, all Powerful, Incomparable, the Creator of the Universe.

He did not/does not, become flesh, dwell in human or animal bodies, plants, drinks, anything, nor are there any incarnations of Him. He is not mixed up in His creation in any way.

He is not composed of persons, nor a trinity. There are no secondary, lesser, greater, equal, or multiple gods, nor any intermediaries. And no denying of God's existence either.

There are no sharers, associates, persons or parts whatsoever in His exclusive Divinity. Simply, He is One, in every sense.

The Arabic word Allah cannot be turned into plural, like the English word god can be gods/goddesses etc. Allah cannot grammatically be plural, or feminine, nor changed in any way. He is One God.

Allah is your only God, your only Lord, your only Creator, your lSustainer, even if you don't currently acknowledge that fact.

I hope this will help you see that there is no place in Islam for plants or drinks or words derived from them that have the above connections/origins/connotations.

I do hope though, that you'll use that as a springboard to look into Islam.

Peace.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 06-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    | Likes Scimitar, AabiruSabeel, noraina, muslimah_B liked this post
    Amrita of Islam?

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It was not literal in meaning but allegorical - i'm an Indian btw and studied the Hindu scriptures. I know their contexts, co-texts and application. I think you are entertaining a fantasy.

Scimi
    Well then, you must be aware of the Hindu belief that a drop of the Amrita fell on the ground and Marijuana sprang up at the spot. That clearly shows the belief still existing today, that Marijuana was/is Amrita. Also, there is the belief that Shiva created Marijuana from His own body to purify the Elixir (whence, for Marijuana, the epithet Angaja or "body-born".

"Thus, cannabis is used by sages due to association with Elixir and Shiva. Wise drinking of Bhang (Marijuana mixture), according to religious rites, is believed to cleanse sins, unite one with Shiva and avoid the miseries of hell in the future life. They are also believed to have medicinal benefits. In contrast, foolish drinking of Bhang without rites is considered a sin."
    -- Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report - Appendix

This belief that a person becomes One with Shiva and is cleaned of sin through ingesting His Body, (Marijuana), is completely similar to the "Christian" communion - thus showing what the original Body of Christ was.

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well then, you must be aware of the Hindu belief that a drop of the Amrita fell on the ground and Marijuana sprang up at the spot. That clearly shows the belief still existing today, that Marijuana was/is Amrita. Also, there is the belief that Shiva created Marijuana from His own body to purify the Elixir (whence, for Marijuana, the epithet Angaja or "body-born".

"Thus, cannabis is used by sages due to association with Elixir and Shiva. Wise drinking of Bhang (Marijuana mixture), according to religious rites, is believed to cleanse sins, unite one with Shiva and avoid the miseries of hell in the future life. They are also believed to have medicinal benefits. In contrast, foolish drinking of Bhang without rites is considered a sin."
    -- Indian Hemp Drugs Commission Report - Appendix

This belief that a person becomes One with Shiva and is cleaned of sin through ingesting His Body, (Marijuana), is completely similar to the "Christian" communion - thus showing what the original Body of Christ was.
    Bro, you're flip flopping now - you said in your first post you was entertaining the idea that it was marijuana, then in a later post that it was not, and now - it is again.

I cannot take you seriously when you are so confuddled.

When you can have a steadier frame of mind, maybe we can talk again,

For now, best.

Scimi
    Amrita of Islam?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Bro, you're flip flopping now - you said in your first post you was entertaining the idea that it was marijuana, then in a later post that it was not, and now - it is again.

I cannot take you seriously when you are so confuddled.

When you can have a steadier frame of mind, maybe we can talk again,

For now, best.

Scimi

I am not "flip flopping". I was talking about current day Hindu belief about Amrita. I am not what most people would consider a "Hindu" -- or, for that matter, any "world" religion. My own personal belief is that Amrita is all Entheogens -- including Marijuana, Psilocybin, Peyote, etc.

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[...]
    In fact, I hve looked extensively into Islam and have read the Quran and some of the Hadiths.

I assume that you are not trying to say that Allah isn't the same God as the God of Abraham. However, Abraham's God was called "Elohim" and is plural.

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Amrita of Islam? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Amrita of Islam?