× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 17 of 17 visibility 2716

Dad disagrees with the jizya, help?

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

So a normal ride to Jummah and my dad says that he doesn't agree with the jizya, can someone shed some light on this? Jzk

He is Allah, other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him [59:23]

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar Scholar
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Dad disagrees with the jizya, help?

Ask your father why he doesn't agree with Jizyah. Once he has given you a list of points with which he disagrees, we can then work from there, In Shaa Allaah. We need to know from what angle he has some opposition to it.

Remember that Jizyah is mentioned in the Qur'aan itself. There is no denying it or hiding away from it. It is a command from Allaah Ta`aalaa Himself.
    | Likes Umm Abed liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

M.I.A.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I can't imagine a place where the jizya enforces itself.

...but maybe one day.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jizyah cannot enforce itself just like Zakaah cannot pay itself. Someone pays Zakaah. Someone pays Jizyah. Someone pays Jizyah become someone is enforcing Jizyah.
    | Likes aamirsaab, Umm Abed liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    M.I.A.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

..that may take some thinking about.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    Ask your father why he doesn't agree with Jizyah. Once he has given you a list of points with which he disagrees, we can then work from there, In Shaa Allaah. We need to know from what angle he has some opposition to it.

Remember that Jizyah is mentioned in the Qur'aan itself. There is no denying it or hiding away from it. It is a command from Allaah Ta`aalaa Himself.
    He thinks that in a state where jizyah is payed only non muslims have to pay taxes and muslims dont

He is Allah, other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him [59:23]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Actually, the Zakaah paid by Muslims is many times higher than the amount of Jizyah paid by the Dhimmis.

See the following article on Jizyah:

https://islamqa.info/en/214074
    | Likes Umm Abed, Aaqib, Serinity liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Actually, the Zakaah paid by Muslims is many times higher than the amount of Jizyah paid by the Dhimmis.

See the following article on Jizyah:

https://islamqa.info/en/214074
    My dad is now saying that what you're talking about is about Zakah, and not taxes. that the zakah is paid, and doesn't help the non muslims, while the taxes by the non muslims help the muslims. He says this is unfair.

Surely he is misunderstanding something?

chat Quote

Little_Lion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have never seen anything that says that the zakat only helps Muslims, it is intended for "the poor", and by that I understand it to be ANY poor.
    | Likes MisterK liked this post
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    talibilm's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Non Sectarian Muslim
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaqib View Post
    My dad is now saying that what you're talking about is about Zakah, and not taxes. that the zakah is paid, and doesn't help the non muslims, while the taxes by the non muslims help the muslims. He says this is unfair.

Surely he is misunderstanding something?

Hope The reason for this confusion is lack of the background causes, reasons for Jizzya which is a tax for the Protection of Non Muslims who will not participate in Muslim Army as seen in the Incident of Caliph Umar (R.A) here

Kindly read post #11 here and know that Islam is the fairest religion with fairest rules and the most civilsed one too. There are incidents in hadiths where a old aged Jew was not taken Jizzya but was provided food & expenses from Islamic state's treasury as well which could have consisted Zakat and Jizzya as well.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...t=#post6201448
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jizya is not originally from Islam, and not exclusively imposed by Muslims only. Jizya is custom that has been existed long time before period of Islam, and imposed by many civilizations in the world. If you read history then you can find a custom which small weak kingdom/tribe gave gift regularly to the stronger bigger kingdom/tribe, as a form of their loyalty. And as recompense, the stronger kingdom/tribe gave protection to the weaker kingdom/tribe. This is the collective jizya like refered in surah At-Taubah:29.

Surah At-Taubah 28 & 29 were revealed prior to the battle of Tabuk, when non-Muslim tribes were pro to the Romans and fought the Muslims. In ayah 29 Allah ordered Rasulullah and ummah to attack those non-Muslim tribes, and stop the attack when those non-Muslim tribes were willing to give their loyalty to Muslims which symbolized by paying jizya. Getting jizya was not the goal in this attack. So this ayah cannot be used as daleel to kidnap non-Muslims and ask ransom like ISIS do nowadays.

While personal jizya that imposed to non-Muslims in Islamic State in era of Salaf (not era of ISIS) was a recompense that paid by non-Muslim adult men because they were free from duty that imposed to Muslims only like duty to go to battlefield. Only healthy adult non-Muslims who must pay jizya, while women, children, old people, were free from obligation to pay jizya.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jizayah doesn't help the Muslims. It is a very paltry sum.

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jizayah doesn't help the Muslims. It is a very paltry sum.
    What's the purpose of jizya?

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allaah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islaam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and they are subdued." [Soorah at-Tawbah, 9:29]

Explaining this Aayah in his Tafseer, Imaam ibn Katheer says:

{حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ** أَيْ: إِنْ لَمْ يُسْلِمُوا، {عَنْ يَدٍ** أَيْ: عَنْ قَهْرٍ لَهُمْ وَغَلَبَةٍ، {وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ** أَيْ: ذَلِيلُونَ حَقِيرُونَ مُهَانُونَ. فَلِهَذَا لَا يَجُوزُ إِعْزَازُ أَهْلِ الذِّمَّةِ وَلَا رَفْعُهُمْ عَلَى الْمُسْلِمِينَ، بَلْ هُمْ أَذِلَّاءُ صَغَرة أَشْقِيَاءُ

"Until they pay the Jizyah", meaning: If they do not submit (to Islaam). "With willing submission", meaning: After having control over them (i.e. Muslims have taken the land). "And they are subdued." Meaning: "They are made low, disgraced. For this reason, it is not permissible to honour the Ahl-udh-Dhimmah and nor to raise them above the Muslimeen. Rather, they are humiliated, low, miserable." [Tafseer ibn Katheer, vol.2, p.136]

That is the reason behind the Jizyah. It's not about the money.

This is the reason the `Ulamaa of Islaam have given, the Mufassiroon. Whether people will like it or dislike it is not our problem. Allaah Ta`aalaa has legislated Jizyah. Those who have a problem with it have a problem with Allaah.

Many people will read this message and hate it. Yet, none of this is my words nor am I giving "my opinion", because in Islaam, there are no "opinions". There is only what Allaah Ta`aalaa and His Rasool صلى الله عليه وسلم have said.
    | Likes Umm Abed, Good brother, talibilm liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Many times when people dislike a certain thing about Islaam, they will attack the `Aalim/writer/speaker who mentions it whether it is in a Dars (lesson), or a Kitaab, or a Bayaan, as though this `Aalim/writer/speaker is making up his own opinion and views about Islaam, when in reality he is simply saying what Islaam has to say about the matter.

I am basically like a delivery man. You know? Like one of those guys who work at DHL or Aramex or FedEX or "The Courier Guy" even. I've just been given a parcel and I have to deliver it. I do not tamper with what is inside that parcel. That's not my job. My job is only to deliver it to the recipients. Studying the Deen is like being given that parcel. Your duty is now simply to convey it. What you as the recipient do with that parcel after it has been delivered to you is up to you.

I, as the deliveryman, have done my duty and been paid.

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

Umm Abed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    On A Mission
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As the saying goes, "dont shoot the messenger", but subhanallah, the message of Islam is so complete and always makes sense.
    chat Quote

TDWT's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"Fight against those who (1) believe not in Allah, (2) nor in the Last Day, (3) nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allaah and His Messenger (4) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islaam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and they are subdued." [Soorah at-Tawbah, 9:29]

Explaining this Aayah in his Tafseer, Imaam ibn Katheer says:

{حَتَّى يُعْطُوا الْجِزْيَةَ** أَيْ: إِنْ لَمْ يُسْلِمُوا، {عَنْ يَدٍ** أَيْ: عَنْ قَهْرٍ لَهُمْ وَغَلَبَةٍ، {وَهُمْ صَاغِرُونَ** أَيْ: ذَلِيلُونَ حَقِيرُونَ مُهَانُونَ. فَلِهَذَا لَا يَجُوزُ إِعْزَازُ أَهْلِ الذِّمَّةِ وَلَا رَفْعُهُمْ عَلَى الْمُسْلِمِينَ، بَلْ هُمْ أَذِلَّاءُ صَغَرة أَشْقِيَاءُ

"Until they pay the Jizyah", meaning: If they do not submit (to Islaam). "With willing submission", meaning: After having control over them (i.e. Muslims have taken the land). "And they are subdued." Meaning: "They are made low, disgraced. For this reason, it is not permissible to honour the Ahl-udh-Dhimmah and nor to raise them above the Muslimeen. Rather, they are humiliated, low, miserable." [Tafseer ibn Katheer, vol.2, p.136]

That is the reason behind the Jizyah. It's not about the money.

This is the reason the `Ulamaa of Islaam have given, the Mufassiroon. Whether people will like it or dislike it is not our problem. Allaah Ta`aalaa has legislated Jizyah. Those who have a problem with it have a problem with Allaah.

Many people will read this message and hate it. Yet, none of this is my words nor am I giving "my opinion", because in Islaam, there are no "opinions". There is only what Allaah Ta`aalaa and His Rasool صلى الله عليه وسلم have said.
    Is what is said here in these articles accurate or modernist:

I read this here by Bassam Zawadi:

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/no...of_humiliation

and this:

http://www.islamawareness.net/Shariah/sh_fatwa013.html

He says the humiliation part is only for non muslims fighting against muslims, is that true? I think the humiliating part of jizya is just ibn kathir opinion.
    Last edited by TDWT; 03-15-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    chat Quote

22. Hide
Hey there! Dad disagrees with the jizya, help? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Dad disagrees with the jizya, help?