star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

New convert to the truth!

Report bad ads?

As-salamu Alakium family! I am a new convert so I am still learning about my dīn. While at work this lady asked me a question about my dīn and also provided proof on Google.
    Her question was, where in the history of Islam did Allah (which is considered a moon god) become the epicenter of Islam?

She told me that Islam is based on a moon god and that is where is name Allah came from...
    Is this true?
    | Likes noraina liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar Scholar
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: New convert to the truth!

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

Welcome to the forum, sister.

First and foremost, Alhamdulillaah that Allaah Ta`aalaa has guided you towards the Deen. This is the greatest Ni`mah (favour) in the life of any person. The greatest Ni`mah of all.

In response to the question on where the Name of Allaah Ta`aalaa comes from:

The Name "Allaah" is not derived from any other word. This has been mentioned by famous grammarians of Islaam such as al-Khaleel ibn Ahmad, Sibawayh, and other than them. It is not derived from any noun or any verb.

The Name of Allaah means:

من له الإلهية وهي القدرة على الإختراع, يعني إبراز الشيء من العدم إلى الوجود

Allaah means "The One Who possesses al-Ilaahiyyah. And al-Ilaahiyyah is the quality of being able to create something from nothing. To bring something from the state of non-existence into the state of existence."

This is the meaning of "Allaah". The Name "Allaah" has no feminine form and no plural form.

Allaah Ta`aalaa is not only the God of this Ummah; He is the God of Moosaa عليه السلام (Moses), `Eesaa عليه السلام (Jesus) and all the prophets and messengers who came before them. Allaah Ta`aalaa is the One and only God. There is no God besides Him. He has always existed and He was always exist. He neither begets nor was He begotten. He has no partners. He is All-Knowing and has power over all things.
    | Likes noraina, Aicha07, Kiro liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

noraina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    * Tawakkul *
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wa alaykum assalam,

Welcome to this forum my dear sister, inshaAllah you will learn so much from here and benefit hugely.

And welcome most of all to this beautiful deen, may Allah swt bless you and give you endless success in this world and the next, always so nice having the lovely sisters around.
    | Likes Huzaifah ibn Adam, Aicha07 liked this post

Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

islamb 1 - New convert to the truth!

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We will do our best to answer them, In Shaa Allaah.

Once again: The Name of Allaah Ta`aalaa has nothing at all to do with the moon. Muslims worship Allaah Ta`aalaa Alone. Worshipping the moon is idolatry and paganism.
    | Likes Aicha07, noraina liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Aicha07's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So Huzaifah inb Adam, how do I respond to her question? And why does it say that Allah is a moon god on Google?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sorry I sent that last one. I now see what u said. Thanks! So much!
    | Likes noraina, Huzaifah ibn Adam liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aicha07 View Post
    So Huzaifah inb Adam, how do I respond to her question? And why does it say that Allah is a moon god on Google?
    You can respond to her with the message I gave you. And with regards to Google: Google is a search engine. A person types something in and it takes you to a web page where that keyword is mentioned. Google isn't a proof of anything. The "Moon God" claim was first introduced by Robert Morey, a Christian apologist. His claim was baseless and rejected by all Muslims around the world.

The Qur'aan mentions that Allaah created the sun and the moon. The moon is simply a creation of Allaah Ta`aalaa. It is not something to be worshipped.
    | Likes Aicha07 liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam alaykum

Welcome sister to forum and to Islam of course.

You should tell to ladies like this one you have talked that Google isn´t trusted source for the real information about Islam (or about many other things as well). The Quran is much better source. If this lady is interesting to know more, maybe she too could check it the first before she starts to tell more about Islam.

And of course, this forum is also good place to find more information.
    | Likes Aicha07, noraina liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks everyone
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I will be utilizing this a lot bc I am new. I only know English so learning the Arabic so I can read the Quran is my next challenge. My husband who is from Mauritania is a big help but Arabic is hard to learn lol.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Your husband is from Mauritania? Maashaa'Allaah. The famous Shinqeeti clan is from there. Extremely knowledge in Deen, that tribe.
    | Likes Aicha07, Umm Abed liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thx! I'm thankful!
    | Likes Umm Abed liked this post
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

il, el, ilah, Allah, ilaahana and elohenu use the same semitic root.
    However the Arabic term Allah is unique and now tied to it's unique descriptive qualities which brother Hudayfah ibn Adam described.

You may wan't to ask your friend if they are the names of moon gods or whether they point to divinity.

God (Elohim, Eloah, El, Elah, Theos)

The word “God” in Hebrew:
    There are three Hebrew words that are translated “God”:

Eloah (God) in the Hebrew text of Psalm 18:31.
    ’Eloah
    Strong’s Concordance number: 433
    Bible references: Ps. 18:31 and about fifty times in total (with about forty of those in the book of Job).

For who is God besides the Lord?
    And who is the Rock except our God? (Psalm 18:31, NIV)

’Eloah is likely to be the Hebrew word from which the other two are derived. Some scholars suggest the roots of the word have to do with fear. That might be a reflection of the attributes of God that cause people to be afraid of Him (Ps. 76:12; Isa. 8:13). Alternatively, God is the one to whom we can run for help when we are afraid.
    ’Elohim

Elohim (God) in the Hebrew text of Genesis 1:1.
    Strong’s Concordance number: 430
    First Bible reference: Gen. 1:1 and over 2300 times.
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, KJV)
    ’Elohim is the plural of ’Eloah. It places more emphasis on God’s strength, might, and power. It is used as a generic word meaning “god” and applies to pagan gods and goddesses. Although it is usually treated as a singular word, it sometimes occurs alongside plural verbs and adjectives. Notice the use of “Us” and “Our” in Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7.

’El is often found as a name for God in Semitic languages.

Again this word points to the power and might of God. Like the word ’Elohim, it occurs in compound names of God.

The plural ’elim is part of the name God of gods (’El ’elim). The possessive ’Eli means “my God.”

Allah (/ˈælə, ˈɑːlə, əlˈlɑː/;[1][2] Arabic: الله‎, translit. Allāh‎, pronounced [ɑɫ'ɫɑh]) is the Arabic word referring to God in Abrahamic religions. The word is thought to be derived by contraction from al ilāh, which means "the God", and is related to El and Elohim, the Hebrew words for God.

Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Eḥad - "Hear, O Israel: the LORD is our God, the LORD is One."
    The literal word meanings are roughly as follows:

Sh'ma — listen, or hear and do (according to the Targum, accept)
    Arabic: isma'
    Yisrael — Israel, in the sense of the people or congregation of Israel
    Arabic: Isra-eel
    Adonai — often translated as "LORD", it is read in place of YHWH; Samaritans say Shema, which is Aramaic for "the [Divine] Name" and is the exact equivalent of the Hebrew "ha-Shem", which Rabbinic Jews substitute for "Adonai" in a non-liturgical context such as everyday speech.[citation needed]
    Arabic: ......rabb?
    Eloheinu — the plural 1st person possessive of אֱלֹהִים Elohim, meaning “our God”.
    Arabic: ilaahana
    Echad — the unified and cardinal number one אֶחָד
    Arabic: Ahad

The Arabic components that build-up the word "Allah":
    1. alif
    2. hamzat waṣl (همزة وصل)
    3. lām
    4. lām
    5. shadda (شدة)
    6. dagger alif (ألف خنجرية)
    7. hāʾ
    The etymology of the word Allāh has been discussed extensively by classical Arab philologists.
    Grammarians of the Basra school regarded is as either formed "spontaneously" (murtajal) or as the definite form of lāh (from the verbal root lyh with the meaning of "lofty" or "hidden").
    Others held that it was borrowed from Syriac or Hebrew, but most considered it to be derived from a contraction of the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the deity", or "the God". Unique.
    The majority of modern scholars subscribe to the latter theory, and view the loanword hypothesis with skepticism.

Cognates of the name "Allāh" exist in other Semitic languages, including Hebrew and Aramaic.
    The corresponding Aramaic form is Elah (אלה), but its emphatic state is Elaha (אלהא). It is written as ܐܠܗܐ (ʼĔlāhā) in Biblical Aramaic and ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ (ʼAlâhâ) in Syriac as used by the Assyrian Church, both meaning simply "God". Biblical Hebrew mostly uses the plural (but functional singular) form Elohim (אלהים), but more rarely it also uses the singular form Eloah (אלוהּ).

The term did exist in pre-Islamic Arabia too and was also used by polytheistic pagans in order to refer to Almighty God, but they would make a bunch of fake intermediary statues as demigods - some stationary, others backpack and pocket sized.

Here is an example of the Muslims using the root term found in semitic tongue just so you know for sure that it's from the same word:

20160907 231200 zps1fujjsko 2 - New convert to the truth!
    Last edited by Abz2000; 09-07-2016 at 05:31 PM.

2dvls74 1 - New convert to the truth!

2vw9341 1 - New convert to the truth!

chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aicha07 View Post
    google told me I was the king of Salem - I don't trust google lol

Scimi
    | Likes sister herb, Aicha07 liked this post

15noje9 1 - New convert to the truth!
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Both Google and Wikipedia are not trustworthy sources of information when it comes to Islaam.
    | Likes Scimitar, Serinity, Aicha07, Aaqib, Umm Abed liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

Abz2000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Abz Iz Back!!!
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    Both Google and Wikipedia are not trustworthy sources of information when it comes to Islaam.
    Depending on what they say obviously since most classical Islamic books are now available on the net.

Bear in mind that the Prophet's father's name was ' also Abd Allah and Abd Allah ibn Ubayy of Madinah was an old man.

Muslim (203) narrated from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man said: “O Messenger of Allaah, where is my father?” He said: “In Hell.” When he turned away he called him back and said: “My father and your father are in Hell.”

https://islamqa.info/en/47170
    Last edited by Abz2000; 09-07-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    | Likes Aicha07 liked this post

2dvls74 1 - New convert to the truth!

2vw9341 1 - New convert to the truth!

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes. Trying to learn Islaam from Google alone can be dangerous for a person new to Islaam, as they won't know which are Shi`a websites, which are Qadiyani websites, which are Jewish sites spreading misinformation about Islaam, which are Barelvi websites, which are pseudo-Sufi websites (like Nizaam Haqqaani, Hishaam Kabbaani, etc.) The internet gives you all of the websites available on Islaam; the authentic ones and the deviant ones. A newcomer will not be able to sift out what is authentic from what is unauthentic. That's why it's necessary to, if possible, get in contact with a reliable `Aalim in your locality and study the basics of Islaam from him. Subjects such as basic `Aqeedah (beliefs), Fiqh, how to perform Wudhoo, how to perform Salaah, the laws of fasting, Zakaah, Hajj, etc.
    | Likes Aicha07, Abz2000 liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

These last couple responses are good. I'm at work so I'll reply when I get off. They are very good and I want to make sure that I get a good understanding so I'll hit y'all back a little later on. Salaam
    | Likes Huzaifah ibn Adam, noraina, زهراء liked this post
    chat Quote

greenhill's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum..

Wishing you a great stay.

| Likes Aicha07, Umm Abed liked this post

As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thx Greenhill
    | Likes greenhill liked this post
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! New convert to the truth! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. New convert to the truth!