muslim153's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA

Report bad ads?

Grammatically in Arabic is "the holy spirit" rather "the spirit of the holy" (like meaning the slave of Allah-the spirit who is property of Allah)? So the holiness came from God and is rather an attribute of Allah? Rather holiness is attributed to Allah?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA

Like saying "the spirit who is property of the one who is holy (the holy one Allah)"?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA

Are angels called spirits in Islam or just Gabriel? I'm white, i don't speak Arabic-so, I'm just trying to understand. I've studied the Bible in Hebrew and Greek. I'm just trying to understand all i can about the Holy Spirit in Islam. Ty. Salaam.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muslim153 View Post
    Are angels called spirits in Islam or just Gabriel? I'm white, i don't speak Arabic-so, I'm just trying to understand. I've studied the Bible in Hebrew and Greek. I'm just trying to understand all i can about the Holy Spirit in Islam. Ty. Salaam.
    only the archAngel Gabriel was given the title of the Holy Spirit.

see here: https://islamqa.info/en/14403

other angels you can read about here: https://islamqa.info/en/843
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    eesa the kiwi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

“Allah gave you a gift of 86,000 seconds today, have you used one to say ‘Alhamdulilah"
    chat Quote

Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar Scholar
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister,

Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه says in "Jalaalayn", explaining the Aayah wherein "Rooh-ul-Qudus" (what people in English refer to as the "Holy Spirit") is mentioned:

وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ** قَوَّيْنَاهُ {بِرُوحِ الْقُدُس** مِنْ إضَافَة الْمَوْصُوف إلَى الصِّفَة أَيْ الرُّوح الْمُقَدَّسَة جِبْرِيل لِطَهَارَتِهِ يَسِير مَعَهُ حَيْثُ سَارَ

"And We aided him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) [strengthened him] with Rooh-ul-Qudus [attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity. He travels with him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) wherever he goes (when he was on this Dunyaa).]" [Tafseer of Aayah 87 of Soorah al-Baqarah.]

So according to Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه, the grammatical structure of this Aayah is not saying that Jibreel عليه السلام is the "Rooh" (spirit) of Al-Qudus; rather, it is saying he himself is the Rooh (spirit) that is al-Qudus (holy).

Is it clear?

بارك الله فيك

والسلام
    Last edited by Huzaifah ibn Adam; 09-17-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    | Likes Little_Lion, noraina liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

Kiro's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected sister,

Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه says in "Jalaalayn", explaining the Aayah wherein "Rooh-ul-Qudus" (what people in English refer to as the "Holy Spirit") is mentioned:

وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ** قَوَّيْنَاهُ {بِرُوحِ الْقُدُس** مِنْ إضَافَة الْمَوْصُوف إلَى الصِّفَة أَيْ الرُّوح الْمُقَدَّسَة جِبْرِيل لِطَهَارَتِهِ يَسِير مَعَهُ حَيْثُ سَارَ

"And We aided him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) [strengthened him] with Rooh-ul-Qudus [attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity. He travels with him (i.e. Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام) wherever he goes (when he was on this Dunyaa).]" [Tafseer of Aayah 87 of Soorah al-Baqarah.]

So according to Imaam as-Suyooti رحمة الله عليه, the grammatical structure of this Aayah is not saying that Jibreel عليه السلام is the "Rooh" (spirit) of Al-Qudus; rather, it is saying he himself is the Rooh (spirit) that is al-Qudus (holy).

Is it clear?

بارك الله فيك

والسلام
    If it is what I think the question is referring to

I think it is just a title of reverence just like how Allah calls Prophet Isa his spirit.

I heard this from Sheikh Omar Suleiman I think
    chat Quote

Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar Scholar
    brightness_1
    Student of Knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    If it is what I think the question is referring to

I think it is just a title of reverence just like how Allah calls Prophet Isa his spirit.

I heard this from Sheikh Omar Suleiman I think
    With regards to the title of Nabi `Eesaa عليه السلام, namely, "Roohullaah" (The Rooh of Allaah), what it means is that he is the Rooh chosen by Allaah Ta`aalaa over the Arwaah (plural of Rooh) of many from among the creation.
    | Likes Kiro liked this post

اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ty everyone ty @huzaifa h ibn Adam
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Grammatically
    attaching the qualified noun to the adjective/quality itself, meaning: Ar-Rooh Al-Muqaddasah (The Holy Spirit), and this is Jibreel, (and he is named this) on account of his purity
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, its not some white dove which appears, lays a deposit and then flies off... according to some Christian exegetes, this is what it is.

Scimi

15noje9 1 - I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Yes, its not some white dove which appears, lays a deposit and then flies off... according to some Christian exegetes, this is what it is.

Scimi
    Haha ty. Yeah... Not a bird lol
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post

Scimi
    Yeah Christians seem oblivious about this concept...i wonder how the Jews understand it though...
    chat Quote

17. Hide
Hey there! I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. I'm a new Muslim. Questions about the Holy Spirit (about Gabriel) I'm from USA