× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 6 of 6 visibility 6472

Is it offensive for a non-Muslim to wear an abaya?

brightness_1
    Awaiting email confirmation
    star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Hello. I am not a Muslim and I live in the United States. I have always dressed modestly and I recently tried on my friends abaya and fell in love. It is comfortable, modest, the fabric is breathable. I asked her if it would be offense if I were to buy a few of my own to wear. In no way would my intentions be to mock Muslims or anything like that. I just absolutely love the abayas that I have seen and would really like to wear a few during the summer. However, I respect that a lot of those items of clothing stem from religious views and I want to make sure that it will not be offensive before I do it... Thank you.
    | Likes noraina, Serinity liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Kiro's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Is it offensive for a non-Muslim to wear an abaya?

I don't know why it would be offensive
    chat Quote

noraina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    * Tawakkul *
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Anirtwodke View Post
    Hello. I am not a Muslim and I live in the United States. I have always dressed modestly and I recently tried on my friends abaya and fell in love. It is comfortable, modest, the fabric is breathable. I asked her if it would be offense if I were to buy a few of my own to wear. In no way would my intentions be to mock Muslims or anything like that. I just absolutely love the abayas that I have seen and would really like to wear a few during the summer. However, I respect that a lot of those items of clothing stem from religious views and I want to make sure that it will not be offensive before I do it... Thank you.
    Not at all. The whole purpose of the abaya is to preserve and protect one's modesty as a woman - those are exactly the reasons I started wearing the abaya as well. Actually, dressing modestly (including the hijab) are not exclusive to Islam, it is also prescribed in Christianity and Judaism as well.

So, no one would find it offensive - in fact you might find yourself getting quite a positive response from Muslims.

Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen

islamb 1 - Is it offensive for a non-Muslim to wear an abaya?

chat Quote

Serinity's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you were to cover, it would not be insulting to Muslims. To the contrary, many Muslims would automatically assume that you were Muslim. Please realize that by wearing hijab, you will be perceived by Muslim and non-Muslim alike to be a Muslim woman. So be ready for some curiosity from fellow non-Muslims. Perhaps wearing the hijab will give you a unique perspective and an opportunity to empathize with Muslim women that would not be available to you if you did not choose this step.
    And Allah alone gives success. And Allah knows best.

I could not have said it better:

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersguidance-hanafi/85489 (Took it from this website)

| Likes noraina liked this post

Meaning of Shirk according to The Qur'an
    " Worshipping anyone or anything besides Allah " or " distributing anything exclusive to Allah, to anyone or anything else "

Meaning of Tawheed according to The Qur'an
    Worshipping none but Allah. Affirming whatever is exclusive to Him, Him alone.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As sister noraina wrote, the purpose of abaya is to protect woman´s modesty for us. If you use it because of other reasons (you like it, it´s comfortable) it´s complitely your own matter and doesn´t mock anyone.
    | Likes noraina, Ummshareef liked this post

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

Ummshareef's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Absolutely no offence at all. Quite the opposite.
    chat Quote

9. Hide
Hey there! Is it offensive for a non-Muslim to wear an abaya? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Is it offensive for a non-Muslim to wear an abaya?