star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Memorising Quran

Report bad ads?

How would I go about memorising the Quran when i don’t speak Arabic? Should I learn Arabic first then memorise or memorise Quran with the English translation. What would you recommend?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    azc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Memorising Quran

format_quote Originally Posted by Sunni ayotollah View Post
    How would I go about memorising the Quran when i don’t speak Arabic? Should I learn Arabic first then memorise or memorise Quran with the English translation. What would you recommend?
    Memorizing Quran has nothing to do with knowing the language. You can learn Arabic later.
    chat Quote

ZeeshanParvez's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

To memorize the Qur'aan remember these tips.

Be persistent

Always review what you have memorized

When you memorize, break down the longer Verses into chunks of 3-5 words.

Knowing Arabic helps because when you know the language you don't have to memorize the word structure as you already know them

If you do not know Arabic than you may want to break the longer Verses down into 2-3 word chunks because each word will have several letters the order of which you will not be accustomed to

Memorize between 1/2 to 1 page.

Next day revise the page and memorize the next page

The next day revise the last two pages and memorize the third page.

Continue to do this until you finish the Juz

Do not move onto the next Juz until this Juz flows on your tongue like water

Learn about spaced repetition and use that to help you if you are short on time.

Remember the following hadiith

Narrated by al-Bukhaari from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: “The likeness of the one who memorizes the Qur’aan is that of the owner of a hobbled camel. If he tends to it regularly, he will keep it, but if he lets it go, he will lose it.” (al-Bukhaari, 5031).

Do not be discouraged if you forget what you memorized. And never give up. It took me 10 years to memorize the Qur'aan.

Also keep the same copy of the Qur'aan. If you use a 16 line Qur'aan, always use the 16 line Qur'aan to review. If you use a 9 line Qur'aan then always use a 9 line Qur'aan to review.
    | Likes keiv liked this post
    Memorising Quran

chat Quote

keiv's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    To memorize the Qur'aan remember these tips.

Be persistent

Always review what you have memorized

When you memorize, break down the longer Verses into chunks of 3-5 words.

Knowing Arabic helps because when you know the language you don't have to memorize the word structure as you already know them

If you do not know Arabic than you may want to break the longer Verses down into 2-3 word chunks because each word will have several letters the order of which you will not be accustomed to

Memorize between 1/2 to 1 page.

Next day revise the page and memorize the next page

The next day revise the last two pages and memorize the third page.

Continue to do this until you finish the Juz

Do not move onto the next Juz until this Juz flows on your tongue like water

Learn about spaced repetition and use that to help you if you are short on time.

Remember the following hadiith

Narrated by al-Bukhaari from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said: “The likeness of the one who memorizes the Qur’aan is that of the owner of a hobbled camel. If he tends to it regularly, he will keep it, but if he lets it go, he will lose it.” (al-Bukhaari, 5031).

Do not be discouraged if you forget what you memorized. And never give up. It took me 10 years to memorize the Qur'aan.

Also keep the same copy of the Qur'aan. If you use a 16 line Qur'aan, always use the 16 line Qur'aan to review. If you use a 9 line Qur'aan then always use a 9 line Qur'aan to review.
    I agree with this.

I know some Arabic, but it isn't what I speak or understand fluently but knowing the language definitely helps. How can it not?

Also, try memorizing the smaller surats and then understanding the meanings for them before moving on to another one. This is something I've been doing and it helps when I'm reciting them during salat since I can understand what I'm saying, rather than trying to simply say something I don't understand out of memorization.

InshAllah that makes sense
    chat Quote

6. Hide
Hey there! Memorising Quran Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Memorising Quran