Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

keeping a musical instrument

Report bad ads?

Assalamualaikum,
    I’m a Muslim and I have a ukulele (musical instrument, similar to a guitar) in my house. I recieved it as a gift when I was around 10, and I didn’t know it was haram at the time. Now I’m 14, and I still have it. I want to get rid of it, however my brother wants to keep it. Unfortunately he doesn’t pray and is always listening to music. All I can do is make dua’ for him.
    My question is; is it haram for me to have the instrument in this case. My family don’t play it, and I do not come near it. I am in no position to get rid of it, especially since my entire family consider music permissible, and they will be extremely dissapointed with me if I try to get rid of it. I have tried to convince them but it seems they won’t ever get rid of it.
    Will angels enter my house? Is my salah accepted? Any answers would be appreciated, but please try to include Qur’an/Sunnah if possible.
    Jazakumullah Khayran.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Saira Khan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: keeping a musical instrument

format_quote Originally Posted by kinda halal sis View Post
    Assalamualaikum,
    I’m a Muslim and I have a ukulele (musical instrument, similar to a guitar) in my house. I recieved it as a gift when I was around 10, and I didn’t know it was haram at the time. Now I’m 14, and I still have it. I want to get rid of it, however my brother wants to keep it. Unfortunately he doesn’t pray and is always listening to music. All I can do is make dua’ for him.
    My question is; is it haram for me to have the instrument in this case. My family don’t play it, and I do not come near it. I am in no position to get rid of it, especially since my entire family consider music permissible, and they will be extremely dissapointed with me if I try to get rid of it. I have tried to convince them but it seems they won’t ever get rid of it.
    Will angels enter my house? Is my salah accepted? Any answers would be appreciated, but please try to include Qur’an/Sunnah if possible.
    Jazakumullah Khayran.
    السلام علیکم

Dear sister, neither the musical instrument itself is haraam nor keeping it in house is haraam. But yes listening to music and by wasting time, playing music and listening to it etc is not recommended. Your salah has nothing to do with musical instrument in your house, unless if someone is playing it or other music which may distract you in your prayer (Salah) may disturb only the quality of your salah.
    Stay blessed.
    chat Quote

ZeeshanParvez's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: keeping a musical instrument

The presence of the musical instrument could tempt you in the future.

One should block the means to those things which can lead to haraam. Better safe than sorry.
    chat Quote

5. Hide
Hey there! keeping a musical instrument Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. keeping a musical instrument