Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What it means to be British

Report bad ads?

By Babar Ahmad
    2nd Dec 2005

What does it mean for a Muslim to be British? For some it means presenting your pink passport when you travel for Hajj or Umrah. For some it means wearing a Union Jackpatterned hijab. For some it means attending the annual Eid party at the House of Commons and drinking tea with ministers. And for others it means shaking Mr Policeman’s hand whenhe visits the local mosque as part of community relations.

What does it mean to me to be British? I was born and lived all my life in Britain. I completed all my education here. I obeyed the law. I worked, contributed to society and paid my taxes. I helped fundraise for disabled childrens charities and participated in diversity. I never studied under radical clerics or joined extremist groups. I never supported a terrorist attack on Britain, publicly or privately, even though Britain terrorises Muslims around the world. I thought I had a fair idea of what it means to be a British Muslim. But I was wrong.

On 02 December 2003, two years ago today, I found out what it really means to be British. To me, being British means being beaten up at 6 a.m. by a gang of racist British police officers, in front of my wife, in my own bedroom. To me, being British means being dragged around by handcuffs on my wrists like a dog on a leash. To me, being British means being placed in prostration and having my religion mocked by the same police officers who drink tea with mosque committees. To me, being British means having my Quran thrown onto the floor, my newly decorated house smashed up and my wedding gifts deliberately broken by British police officers.

To my wife (also British), being British means watching your husband being attacked by seven or eight fully armed and padded police officers until you think they are going to kill him. To my wife, being British means being handcuffed by police officers twice the size of you, for their safety. To my wife, being British means women police officers smirking and laughing at you whilst you are trembling in a distraught state.

To my sister-in-law (also British), being British means having your unborn baby murdered by police officers by miscarrying due to the terror of an anti-terror police raid. To my four year old nephew (also British), being British means having toys ripped open in order to protect National Security. (I wonder how British he will feel when he grows up ?)

What else does it mean to me to be British, to feel British and to feel part of Britain? It means bring strangled by police officers en-route to the police station until you think you are going to die. It means being punched, kicked and sworn at by the same police officers who remove their shoes out of respect when entering mosques to recruit spies amongst the Muslim community. It means suffering over 50 injuries including blood in your ears and urine, leaving permanent scars all over your body, including your face.

To me, being British is to have the police officers who tortured and terrorised me escape criminal prosecution, only to be formally "commended" for their "professionalism and bravery" by the same senior police officers who ask for "co-operation" from the Muslim community. To me, being British is to be locked up like a caged animal for over 16 months without charge or trial, facing extradition without evidence to a foreign country to
    spend possibly the rest of my life behind bars. Moreover, this foreign countryhappens to be a nation that holds thousands of Muslims in torture camps around the world and is not ashamed to admit it.

Had being British really meant anything, the British Government would have protected British citizens from being plucked off the streets at the request of foreign countries, just like the German, Dutch, U.S. and French Governments protect their citizens.

The natural question thus arises: if I was born in Britain and lived all my life here but still cannot say that I belong here, then where do I belong? The answer is nowhere. I am a refugee. The writer and Islamic scholar Syed Qutb interestingly wrote in Milestones that the homeland of a Muslim is not necessarily the place where he was born or lives, but the land in which Allah Shariah is established and every Muslim feels secure. Since at present there is no land on earth in which Allah’s Shariah is established and every Muslim feels secure, every Muslim is without a homeland. Every Muslim is a stateless refugee. Every Muslim is a Palestinian.

Since the one with his hand in water is unlike the one with his hand in fire, you may not agree with my perception of Britishness as long as your hand remains in water, unlike my hand. I think today I have reached the conclusion on what it means to be British. The concepts of British Muslimand and British Islam are clever ploys to make the dog feel part of the family, when it is nothing more than a dog. It has taken me two years to come to this conclusion but I have reached it. Being British means nothing. Being a British Muslim means even less.

Babar Ahmad
    MX5383
    HMP Woodhill

Please make dua as Babar Ahmed is appealing against his extradition to the US (Guantanamo Bay?)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Liban's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What it means to be British

Long But Ok

:bravo: LIBAN:bravo:
    chat Quote

mizan_aliashraf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam
    My Alleigance is to Islam and Allah alone, Britain does not even begin to come into the equation. Im Muslim. Im not a 'British' Muslim. Yes, i hold a british passport and citizenship and yes i have held these since birth, but my loyalty and alleigance is to ISLAM and no other
    Wassalam
    chat Quote

Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mizan_aliashraf View Post
    Salam
    My Alleigance is to Islam and Allah alone, Britain does not even begin to come into the equation. Im Muslim. Im not a 'British' Muslim. Yes, i hold a british passport and citizenship and yes i have held these since birth, but my loyalty and alleigance is to ISLAM and no other
    Wassalam
    Salaam

Well said bro

The Ummah
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Deus's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Bara is a terror suspect accused of conspiring to commit terrorist attacks through a website, The extradition party has met the burden of proof necessary (even though its not very much as Britain does does not ask for prima facie).

This is done regardless of a person's ethnicity or religion, people of different ethnicities are extradited all the time.
    chat Quote

Sunflower's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this made me cry..

By Babar Ahmad 2nd Dec 2005

What does it mean for a Muslim to be British? For some it means presenting your pink passport when you travel for Hajj or Umrah. For some it means wearing a Union Jackpatterned hijab. For some it means attending the annual Eid party at the House of Commons and drinking tea with ministers. And for others it means shaking Mr Policeman’s hand whenhe visits the local mosque as part of community relations.

What does it mean to me to be British? I was born and lived all my life in Britain. I completed all my education here. I obeyed the law. I worked, contributed to society and paid my taxes. I helped fundraise for disabled childrens charities and participated in diversity. I never studied under radical clerics or joined extremist groups. I never supported a terrorist attack on Britain, publicly or privately, even though Britain terrorises Muslims around the world. I thought I had a fair idea of what it means to be a British Muslim. But I was wrong.

On 02 December 2003, two years ago today, I found out what it really means to be British. To me, being British means being beaten up at 6 a.m. by a gang of racist British police officers, in front of my wife, in my own bedroom. To me, being British means being dragged around by handcuffs on my wrists like a dog on a leash. To me, being British means being placed in

prostration and having my religion mocked by the same police officers who drink tea with mosque committees. To me, being British means having my Quran thrown onto the floor, my newly decorated house smashed up and my wedding gifts deliberately broken by British police officers.

To my wife (also British), being British means watching your husband being attacked by seven or eight fully armed and padded police officers until you think they are going to kill him. To my wife, being British means being handcuffed by police officers twice the size of you, for their safety. To my wife, being British means women police officers smirking and laughing at you whilst you are trembling in a distraught state.

To my sister-in-law (also British), being British means having your unborn baby murdered by police officers by miscarrying due to the terror of an anti-terror police raid. To my four year old nephew (also British), being British means having toys ripped open in order to protect National Security. (I wonder how British he will feel when he grows up ?)

What else does it mean to me to be British, to feel British and to feel part of Britain? It means bring strangled by police officers en-route to the police station until you think you are going to die. It means being punched, kicked and sworn at by the same police officers who remove their shoes out of respect when entering mosques to recruit spies amongst the Muslim community. It means suffering over 50 injuries including blood in your ears and urine,

leaving permanent scars all over your body, including your face.

To me, being British is to have the police officers who tortured and terrorised me escape criminal prosecution, only to be formally "commended" for their "professionalism and bravery" by the same senior police officers who ask for "co-operation" from the Muslim community. To me, being British is to be locked up like a caged animal for over 16 months without charge or trial, facing extradition without evidence to a foreign country to
    spend possibly the rest of my life behind bars. Moreover, this foreign countryhappens to be a nation that holds thousands of Muslims in torture camps around the world and is not ashamed to admit it.

Had being British really meant anything, the British Government would have protected British citizens from being plucked off the streets at the request of foreign countries, just like the German, Dutch, U.S. and French Governments protect their citizens.

The natural question thus arises: if I was born in Britain and lived all my life here but still cannot say that I belong here, then where do I belong? The answer is nowhere. I am a refugee. The writer and Islamic scholar Syed Qutb interestingly wrote in Milestones that the homeland of a Muslim is not necessarily the place where he was born or lives, but the land in which Allah Shariah is established and every Muslim feels secure. Since at present there is no land on earth in which Allah’s Shariah is established and every Muslim feels secure, every Muslim is without a homeland. Every Muslim is a stateless refugee. Every Muslim is a Palestinian.

Since the one with his hand in water is unlike the one with his hand in fire, you may not agree with my perception of Britishness as long as your hand remains in water, unlike my hand. I think today I have reached the conclusion on what it means to be British. The

concepts of British Muslimand and British Islam are clever ploys to make the dog feel part of the family, when it is nothing more than a dog. It has taken me two years to come to this conclusion but I have reached it. Being British means nothing. Being a British Muslim means even less.

Babar Ahmad

MX5383

HMP Woodhill

Please make dua as Babar Ahmed is appealing against his extradition to the US (Guantanamo Bay?)
    chat Quote

MusLiM 4 LiFe's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: this made me cry..

awwwwwww.. sis.. made me cry

[x][..Im*Back*..][x]
    (kinda)

wwwislamicboardcom - What it means to be British
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam,

subhanAllah! :'( may Allah reward him and his family! Ameen thumma ameen!

wassalam
    chat Quote

Riya90's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

ah this is so touchin
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    x Maz x's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

:'( :'( SubanAllah Allah ease his suffering...Oh those who beleive PLEASE engage in supplication for this brother...Allah save him from the torment of this world and the hereafter and give him a high rank in Jannah! Makes my blood boil when i see things like that, gets me sooo vex...being british? means nothing SubhanAllah! WalaykumAsalaam x

Ya Muslimeen
    Ya Mu’meneen
    Open up your eyes
    Aim for the ultimate prize
    Which is paradise
    Allah’s laws
    By definition has no flaw
    So why do we pause?
    Tell me what’s the cause
    Hold your applause
    Takbir!!!!!
    Allahu Akbar
    ~I$lAm Z!nDaBaD~ BrAp BrAp
    chat Quote

MetSudaisTwice's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salam
    mashallah such a touching article
    jazakallah for sharing
    ameen
    wasalam
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This account is written in a very emotional way, and I cannot help but think that it is intended to whip up emotions amongst the Muslim community.

The fact is, that such raids could happen to anybody - anybody who is suspected to be involved in terrorist or criminal activites, drug dealing and the like.
    These raids are done to protect the population from criminals. Whether the people targeted are British or not, is not the point.

I do not wish this kind of thing on anybody, and my heart goes out to the family. I cannot think of anything more scary than being subjected to a dawn raid in such a manner. But if people are suspected criminals or terrorists, the police has to act. Surely that's what the police are there for.
    If your next door neighbour was a suspected drug dealer, you would want the police to take action ... wouldn't you?

Try and consider this, before you jump on the emotional bandwagon and shout down the British authorities.

Peace.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - What it means to be British

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This account is written in a very emotional way, and I cannot help but think that it is intended to whip up emotions amongst the Muslim community.

The fact is, that such raids could happen to anybody - anybody who is suspected to be involved in terrorist or criminal activites, drug dealing and the like.
    These raids are done to protect the population from criminals. Whether the people targeted are British or not, is not the point.

I do not wish this kind of thing on anybody, and my heart goes out to the family. I cannot think of anything more scary than being subjected to a dawn raid in such a manner. But if people are suspected criminals or terrorists, the police has to act. Surely that's what the police are there for.
    If your next door neighbour was a suspected drug dealer, you would want the police to take action ... wouldn't you?

Try and consider this, before you jump on the emotional bandwagon and shout down the British authorities.

Peace.
    Salaam

They have done this to my brother he's innocent our dua's should be with babar ahmed.
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

May my dear brother get his reward for his struggle for his trouble for his strife. Ameen!

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth View Post
    Salaam

They have done this to my brother he's innocent our dua's should be with babar ahmed.
    Do we know that he is innocent?
    If he is, the story is all the more tragic!

Whether he should be extradited to the US, where he may face the death penalty, is a different matter. Personally, I don't understand why he is not judged under British law.

Peace.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - What it means to be British

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Peace.

I understand what your saying the police hav to do there duty of acting like disgusting disrespectful pigs sometimes, ganging up on a single man whos unarmed and unaware and treatin him worse then they would treat there own dogs. Its there duty, right?

-
    -
    chat Quote

HeiGou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth View Post
    How do you know he is innocent?

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait pas. - Blaise Pascal
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou View Post
    How do you know he is innocent?

A mu'min would never treat a "suspect" this way, this is disgusting hei-gou, just disgusting!

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid View Post
    I understand what your saying the police hav to do there duty of acting like disgusting disrespectful pigs sometimes, ganging up on a single man whos unarmed and unaware and treatin him worse then they would treat there own dogs. Its there duty, right?
    The police went to arrest a man wanted in connection with Islamist terrorism. He could have had a gun. A bomb. A suicide belt. He could have had nerve gas or other chemical weapons. He could, even, have had nuclear material. And no doubt he would have used them had he been prepared for such an event. What do you think they should have done - sent him a postcard and asked him to come down to the police station as soon as it was convenient?

How did they know he was unarmed?

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid View Post
    A mu'min would never treat a "suspect" this way, this is disgusting hei-gou, just disgusting!
    Well a Mu'min would not have to. Non-Muslims so very rarely blow themselves up. But just how would you tackle a man suspected of being a probable suicide bomber?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! What it means to be British Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What it means to be British