star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hijab importance

Report bad ads?

It seems that every time I check for new posts on this forum, there is a new one pertaining to a sisters love of hijab. I did a search for "hijab" and found 482 threads. I understand that Muslim sisters value their hijab. However, I would like to know what motivates the Muslim sisters to continuously seek out poems and articles about the hijab.

1. Do you feel that you are placed in a position in which you must defend your hijab, on a regular basis?

2. Does the hijab define you as a woman and a person?

3. Is the hijab one of the more important issues facing Muslim women in todays society?

Thank you for helping me with my continuous research pertaining to Islam.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: hijab importance

1. Do you feel that you are placed in a position in which you must defend your hijab, on a regular basis?
    Yep. People steroetype u. Basicly they look at you differently if ur wearing a Hijab than when ur not...

2. Does the hijab define you as a woman and a person?
    Hijab is part of me.

3. Is the hijab one of the more important issues facing Muslim women in todays society?
    It is ONE of the issues facing woman.
    Last edited by ------; 04-12-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Pagal Kuri, thanks for your response.

Does anyone else want to speculate on why so many women on this forum concentrate largely on their hijab? I can respect a womans love for hijab; however, I'm failing to understand how hijab love is of greater significance than other issues affecting women.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi,

1. Yes. Its quite a regular thing for people to think I'm not enjoying "freedom" so they try to "help" me, by of course yelling "you're in america, you can take that off." Therefore, if you see many of the poems, they've got the themes stating we are in fact enjoying freedoms, etc.

2. Yes, maintaining my modesty is part of me....

3. Well, many of the poems are directed at those who hold misconceptions about the hijaab. There are also many articles/poems encouraging sisters who do not have the courage yet to wear it. For the girls who need encouragement, it is a major issue. For girls like in France who have to face the hijaab ban it is a issue. Of course there are other issues, but maintaining a woman's modesty will of course come first.

hijab importance

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah View Post
    Hi,

1. Yes. Its quite a regular thing for people to think I'm not enjoying "freedom" so they try to "help" me, by of course yelling "you're in america, you can take that off." Therefore, if you see many of the poems, they've got the themes stating we are in fact enjoying freedoms, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. If the concentration on the hijab makes the women feel better, then that's great!

2. Yes, maintaining my modesty is part of me....

3. Of course there are other issues, but maintaining a woman's modesty will of course come first.

This is a stance that I would have difficulty taking (Of course I'm referring to myself, and not criticizing you or anyone else for making modesty the main issue affecting women.) Perhaps I am too new to Islam to understand the importance of modesty, or perhaps I am a more progressive Muslim (don't know yet )

Thanks for the clarification and honest opinions.
    Thanks again!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Awaiting email confirmation
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by renak View Post
    Pagal Kuri, thanks for your response.

Does anyone else want to speculate on why so many women on this forum concentrate largely on their hijab? I can respect a womans love for hijab; however, I'm failing to understand how hijab love is of greater significance than other issues affecting women.
    Hijab is not an important issue at all. We are told by Allah to lower our gaze and guard our modesty and women should not display their beauty and ornaments except what normally appears thereof; they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their charms except to their husbands and others as permitted by Allah. Some scholars have come up with the 'hijab' and some with 'borka' to comly with this ordainment of God. But Allah has declared that He wants ease for us; so you may have your own way to obey this order even without hijab or borka. This is my personal view and scholars may differ. As far as I know, there is nothing specifc in the Quran or in any Ahadith that women should wear 'hijab' or 'borka' while they meet non-mahram men.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by M H Kahn View Post
    Hijab is not an important issue at all. We are told by Allah to lower our gaze and guard our modesty and women should not display their beauty and ornaments except what normally appears thereof; they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their charms except to their husbands and others as permitted by Allah. Some scholars have come up with the 'hijab' and some with 'borka' to comly with this ordainment of God. But Allah has declared that He wants ease for us; so you may have your own way to obey this order even without hijab or borka. This is my personal view and scholars may differ. As far as I know, there is nothing specifc in the Quran or in any Ahadith that women should wear 'hijab' or 'borka' while they meet non-mahram men.

I have read in multiple sources that the term "hijab" is in the Quran a few times, but is not defined as it is today. Thanks for providing another view M H Kahn.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi,

Is it not enough for a Muslima today that the wives of Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and the female companions wore hijaab and niqaab? Did they not cover completely in front of ghair mahram men?

But I guess people feel better when they apply their own "logic" to deen..
    hijab importance

"...You are my Walî in this world and in the Hereafter. Cause me to die as a Muslim, and join me with the righteous." [Surah Yusuf 101]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah View Post
    Hi,

Is it not enough for a Muslima today that the wives of Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) and the female companions wore hijaab and niqaab? Did they not cover completely in front of ghair mahram men?

But I guess people feel better when they apply their own "logic" to deen..
    Many years have passed since the above mentioned women walked the earth. The covering of women was a cultural practice of many women, of different faiths, during this time period. We do not live in the same society as these women lived. We do not adhere to all the cultural practices of people during this time period. So, actually for me it is not enough to wear hijab simply because the female companions did so. For example, I do not ride on a donkey for transportation, I do not prepare my meals in the same primitive manner, etc....

I think it is necessary to apply our own logic to deen. I doubt that God would expect anything less. Of course, if our personal logic tells us to wear hijab, then we need to do so. However, due to free thought and education not everyones personal logic will be the same.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Khaldun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Alif Lam Mim.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Many years have passed since the above mentioned women walked the earth. The covering of women was a cultural practice of many women, of different faiths, during this time period. We do not live in the same society as these women lived. We do not adhere to all the cultural practices of people during this time period. So, actually for me it is not enough to wear hijab simply because the female companions did so. For example, I do not ride on a donkey for transportation, I do not prepare my meals in the same primitive manner, etc....
    This is the ultimate flaw, these werent only cultural practices as you might have known, before Islam these women didnt wear these type of clothes so these where infact revelation of Allah and with the approval of His Messenger And to say that you wont follow them in their goodness, isnt a sign of faith, but perhaps you didnt realise this, since your new in faith

And as for transport etc, we only follow them in matters of religion etc.

I think it is necessary to apply our own logic to deen. I doubt that God would expect anything less.
    Yet another critical flaw here, your assumption. Why assume when you got the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Prophet infront of you?
    hijab importance

IK 4 1 - hijab importance

Click it and you wont regret it!
    www.khaldun.wordpress.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun View Post

This is the ultimate flaw, these werent only cultural practices as you might have known, before Islam these women didnt wear these type of clothes so these where infact revelation of Allah and with the approval of His Messenger And to say that you wont follow them in their goodness, isnt a sign of faith, but perhaps you didnt realise this, since your new in faith

A different interpretation is not a "flaw". Yes, this manner of dress was cultural. Women did wear this type of clothing prior to the formation of Islam. I do not lack faith, please do not pass judgement.

And as for transport etc, we only follow them in matters of religion etc.

As others on this thread have posted, hijab isn't necessarily a matter of religion. If one wishes to make hijab a matter of religion, then that's fine for them personally.

Yet another critical flaw here, your assumption. Why assume when you got the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Prophet infront of you?

Another flaw???? Why are you so quick to judge? I do have the Quran in on my desk. However, interpretation of the Quran is personal. I also feel that the personal interpretation of the Quran (which becomes the expression of ones opinions) is helpful when having dialogue. We can all copy and paste scripture from the Quran (how much effort does this take?). Can all of us use our God given minds to formulate intelligent interpretation (yes, we all can, but some choose not to do so).
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Alif Lam Mim.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please bring evidence of the fact that these women wore this before Islam.

I never said you hadnt faith, please dont judge me. I only said whoever doesnt follow the Prophet through the understanding of the Companions, THAT person has not true faith, Im sorry however if you misunderstood me.

The Prophet gave his commentary on the Quran and so did the Companions and the Pious Predecessors, so im sorry but it is not up to you or me to pick up a translation of the Quran and make up meanings.
    hijab importance

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please bring evidence of the fact that these women wore this before Islam.

Do a search on the internet or at your local library about the history of clothing and custom. Of the top of my mind, I would suggest Greco-Roman Dress. You will find evidence of the modest dress, some veil usage, and definitately headcoverings.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=Khaldun;258698]

QUOTE]

Sorry if I misunderstood you! I still neglect to see how you were not questioning my faith! However, I don't wish to have a long pointless discussion about this.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Prophet gave his commentary on the Quran and so did the Companions and the Pious Predecessors, so im sorry but it is not up to you or me to pick up a translation of the Quran and make up meanings.
    The Quran is words from God. I worship God alone. I do not worship the Prophet. I do not worship his predecessors. I respect them all, but I alone worship God. So yes, according to my belief (my sect of Islam) it is up to each individual to pick up the Quran and interpret it accordingly.

I view this to be a sectarian issue. I want to support the unity of Islam.
    Last edited by renak; 04-15-2006 at 08:46 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes ! We have the Quran and the best of the ideals in the Sunnah of Muhammed (pbuh) to follow in order to be termed as true submitters. The Quran is before us throughout the world as it was exactly inspired to Muhammed(pbuh). But the problem is with the so-called Sunnahs (false stories or practices ascribed to the prophet ) which go against the Quran. The feeble minded discard the Quran and follow the false stories and run into disbelief. We see in Saudi Arabia and in other Middle Eastern countries that ladies cover their whole body from head to toe under 'borka' even in scorching heat of the summer. Allah has ordained for women neither 'hijab' nor 'borka' that sometimes cause much hardship in heat. But Allah says:"You shall strive for the cause of GOD as you should strive for His cause. He has chosen you and has placed no hardship on you in practicing your religion - the religion of your father Abraham. ................................" [22:78]

This is not all; we are told by Allah to lower our gaze and guard our modesty and women should not display their beauty and ornaments except what normally appears thereof; they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their charms to non-mahrams.

Allah wants this much from our women and He wants ease for His slaves. Do the practices or fatwas for strict adherence to hijab and/or borka conform to Allah's ordainment in the Quran ? When the Quran and usual practice or stories ascribed to Muhammed(pbuh) differ on an issue, the believer's task is to adhere to the Quran and reject the prevalent practices as un-Islamic and the stories as false inventions.

There is, however, no scope in this case to say that 'hijab' and 'borka' do not conform to the Quranic ordainment. Obviously they serve the purpose of the ordainment made in the Quran by Allah. But He wants ease, too, for His slaves; therefore, if some women do not use 'borka, or 'hijab' and they obey the order of Allah otherwise by lowering their gaze, guarding their modesty, drawing their veils over their bossoms and not displaying their beauty and charms except for what normally appear, I think we should not have any objection about their dress.
    Last edited by M H Kahn; 04-15-2006 at 09:39 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by renak View Post
    The Quran is words from God. I worship God alone. I do not worship the Prophet. I do not worship his predecessors. I respect them all, but I alone worship God. So yes, according to my belief (my sect of Islam) it is up to each individual to pick up the Quran and interpret it accordingly.
    I think you are a bit misconceived. Allah sent divine books as well as messengers from time to time for inviting people to worship Him only. All the messengers taught the people to worship Allah alone and they practically showed the ways of worships, for the prophets were the best worshippers of Allah, Who says that we should obey the Quran and the prophet. We should not worship the prophet, nor should we believe that the prophet will be of any help to us in the hereafter; for Allah says in the Quran that we shall have no friend, protector or intercessor except Allah Himself in the hereafter.

We have to worship Allah alone in the way the prophet has worshipped Him. Besides, we have to obey all orders given by Allah in the Quran including the order to obey the prophet. But most of the sayings and practices of the prophet have been recorded much later (around 200 to 250 years after his death) from hearsays coming down through generations by different individuals. These recods are called Hadith today. But there are many stories and practices recorded in these books that contradict the Quran. In such cases, I think you have to reject the man-made books and obey the Quran only. But we should accept those stories and practices as appear true and conform with the Quran in solving any problem. If not warranted by any problem, why should I look for earlier practice or stories assigned to the prophet? Unwarranted false knowledge has turned millions of people into prophet-worshippers who read Quran and worship Allah, the prophet, graves and live people simultaneously. So it is fraught with danger to run after unnecessary knowledge about Islam.
    Last edited by M H Kahn; 04-16-2006 at 02:54 AM.
    chat Quote

Nawal89's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^are you another one of those people who say that the sunnah is unacceptable? greeeeeeeat. Just what we need.

Yet you're saying that we should worship Allah the way Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did, How in the world do you know how he did it if you dont even accept the facts on how he did it the first place. Make up your mind.
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

only the best wear the hijab seeking only Allahs love
    hijab importance

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Alif Lam Mim.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Do a search on the internet or at your local library about the history of clothing and custom. Of the top of my mind, I would suggest Greco-Roman Dress. You will find evidence of the modest dress, some veil usage, and definitately headcoverings.
    Im sorry but, you brought this issue up so the evidence lies on you.

Sorry if I misunderstood you! I still neglect to see how you were not questioning my faith! However, I don't wish to have a long pointless discussion about this.
    As I said I didnt intend this and if you were wronged I apoligies, although I dont see how you were. But I wont drag on a pointless discussion with you

The Quran is words from God. I worship God alone. I do not worship the Prophet.
    Neither do I

I do not worship his predecessors.
    The Prophets predecessors? Im sorry but where did you get that from?

I respect them all, but I alone worship God. So yes, according to my belief (my sect of Islam) it is up to each individual to pick up the Quran and interpret it accordingly.
    Really? What sect is this? Just curious kay:

If it was I would have closed this thread.
    hijab importance

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! hijab importance Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. hijab importance