star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The young man who learned what cannot be taught

Report bad ads?

Once upon a time, there lived in Basra an old man whose only occupation was caring for and loving his only son who was a handsome young man. The old man invested all his money on his son’s education. The young man went away for a few years and acquired an education at a well known university under the great scholars of that age.

The day had arrived for the son to return from his studies and the old man waited at the door for his son. When the son came and met his father, the old man looked into his eyes and felt great disappointment. “What have you learnt my son?” he asked, “I have learnt everything there was to be learnt, father”, he said. “But have you learnt what cannot be taught?” asked the father. “Go, my son and learn what cannot be taught”, said the old man.

The young man went back to his master and asked him to teach him what cannot be taught.
    “Go away to the mountains with these four hundred sheep and come back when they are one thousand”, said the master.

The young man went to the mountains and became a shepherd. There for the first time he encountered a silence. He had no one to talk to. The sheep did not understand his language. In his desperation, he would talk to them but they would look back at him as if to say he was stupid. Slowly but surely he began to forget all his worldly knowledge, his ego, his pride and he became quiet like the sheep and great wisdom and humility came to him.

At the end of two years when the number of sheep had grown to one thousand, he returned to his master and fell on his feet. “Now you have learnt what cannot be taught,” said the master.

NB. It is interesting to note that the Nabis of Allah Taala (Alayhimus salaam) at some time in their lives, generally before Nubuwwat, tended to sheep, and other such animals.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The young man who learned what cannot be taught

Nice one sis, but is that just a story or is it from some hadith?
    chat Quote

islamicgems's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamu Alaikum,
    i believe it is only a story, for more like it go to www.qisas.com
    Asalamu Alaikum

p.s,- please forgive me if im not allowed to post links, im still a bit confused about that.
    chat Quote

Al-Mu'min's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salamu-alaikum.

Yep. Moses and Muhammed, may peace and blessings of Allah be upon them, were sheperds aswell. Jesus(pbuh) was a carpenter.

It seems going away from civilization clears your head and gives you reflection. Muhammad(pbuh) used to go to the mountains aswell thats where he recieved his first revelation.

Salaam.
    chat Quote

6. Hide
Hey there! The young man who learned what cannot be taught Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. The young man who learned what cannot be taught