Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Baphomet, The Head, and the sabi`een

Report bad ads?

format_quote Originally Posted by Templar Knight View Post
    Why should I do research for Baphomet? Baphomet was an idol that the Knights Templar was accused of worshipping along with the worship of a head (rumor has it that it was either the head of John the Baptist found on one of there archealogical digs under Solomons tomb or the Temple monut. It was also said to be Jesus' death shroad when folded only shows the head). What does it have to do with this convo?
    The allegations were not without some grain of truth. The Head is mentioned in Psalm 110 of our holy book the Zaboor and we believe that the shroud was originally in our possession. Meanwhile Baphomet is a misconstrueance of mahomet (not to be confused with Muhammad SAW) which is what Sabi`ah Hunafa` call anyone who reaches the Mehemodan state. Of course neither are woshipped and are certainly not idols in any way at all whatsoever. The original Tmeplars were punished by the Church for their walking on the path of the Sabi`ah Hunafa`, and so they lost their way.

:brother:
    Last edited by Sabi; 05-28-2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Baphomet, The Head, and the sabi`een

format_quote Originally Posted by Sabi View Post
    The allegations were not without some grain of truth. The Head is mentioned in Psalm 110 of our holy book the Zaboor and we believe that the shroud was originally in our possession. Meanwhile Baphomet is a misconstrueance of mahomet (not to be confused with Muhammad SAW) which is what Sabi`ah Hunafa` call anyone who reaches the Mehemodan state. Of course neither are woshipped and are certainly not idols in any way at all whatsoever. The original Tmeplars were punished by the Church for their walking on the path of the Sabi`ah Hunafa`, and so they lost their way.

Sabian are followers of John the Baptist isnt it?
    chat Quote

Sabi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam brother,

You are thinking of Mandaeans (who have in the past occasionally call themselves Sabi in order to afford some protection from the islamic states. NB they themselves do not like the term Sabi,) though in fact they are the original Nasaraeans (and hence need not have had the term Sabi applied to themselves).

chat Quote

HeiGou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You are thinking of Mandaeans (who have in the past occasionally call themselves Sabi in order to afford some protection from the islamic states. NB they themselves do not like the term Sabi,) though in fact they are the original Nasaraeans (and hence need not have had the term Sabi applied to themselves).
    May I ask where you were born?

Well the last time I did this I got a penalty, but that involved a Sect. With a bit of luck, the Sabians pre-date Islam and so this will not be a problem,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabians#Sabeans_of_Harran

Sabian is a term that has been more or less inaccurately used to describe at least three religious groups, namely the Sābi'ūna Ḥunafāˤ "Monotheistic Baptisers", the Sabeans of Harran (also known as the Sābi'ūna Mushrukūn "Polytheist Baptisers" and Harranians; see also Yazidi) and Mandaean Nasaræan Sabeans. They are not to be confused with the Sabaeans of Sheba whose etymology is completely unrelated being spelled with an initial Arabic letter "sin" instead of the initial letter "Sad" (though the issue was confused because at least one tribe of Sabaeans, the Ansar, are known to have adopted the Saabi`ah Hunafa` religion).

The term Sābi'ūn derives from the Syriac root S-b-' , referring to conversion through submersion; the Syriac (and Hebrew) nouns derived from this root refer to proselytes, both "Judaisers" - non-converts who followed certain basic rules of Judaism - and early Christian converts of non-Jewish origin and practice. These latter were called Theosebeians "God-Believers", Sebomenoi "Believers" or Phobeomenoi in Greek sources.

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait pas. - Blaise Pascal
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sabian are non-Muslims?

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post
    Sabian are non-Muslims?
    I think they are listed as one of the People of the Book. But there aren't many of them left now.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam North,
    Sabian are non-Muslims?
    Please read through this thread to find your answers
    http://www.islamicboard.com/depth-is...hlight=small+m

Salaam HeiGou,

Usually I have difficulty with the validity of wikipedia, but at the risk of sounding hypocritical, this time at least it seems they are running roughly along the right tracks. However I do object to the term Judaizers, since the religion of Noah predated the religion Moses revealed for the childtren of israel (at the same time re-iterating the religion for the Sabi`ah Hunafa` or Hasidei Umot Ha Olam aka HaGarim in contemporary and torah Hebrew respectively).

I would prefer not to broadcast personal details like place of birth online, but perhaps when I know you better, I will share with you in a private message. Are you chinese? I have heard that the Hui in china and Tatars in Siberia are very close to us even though they have been greatly influenced by Sufism. However there is apparently Saudi Government campaign now to convert them to the officially sanctioned Saudi Wahabism (their number would be very useful for Saudi economy once the oil runs out within the next 45 years especially at Hajj). Personally I would be happier if they were educating them about the same orthodox islam that was around for 1300 years before Ibn Wahab.

Last edited by Sabi; 05-29-2006 at 10:39 AM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

However I do object to the term Judaizers, since the religion of Noah predated the religion Moses revealed for the childtren of israel (at the same time re-iterating the religion for the Sabi`ah Hunafa` or Hasidei Umot Ha Olam aka HaGarim in contemporary and torah Hebrew respectively).
    Really? On what basis do you object? What is your evidence that the religion of the Sabians predated that of the Jews?

I would prefer not to broadcast personal details like place of birth online,
    How about a geographic region? The Middle East?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou View Post
    Really? On what basis do you object? What is your evidence that the religion of the Sabians predated that of the Jews?
    ffended:
    Why are you attacking me sir? Is my opinion worthless? But since you ask, the Jewish sage Maimonides confirmed that Abraham came from a family and city of Sabi`ah Mushrikoon, though of course Maimonides does not call Abraham and his followers Sabi`ah Hunafa`, though the Torah does call him a "Ger" and the Hagarim are from his community.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why are you attacking me sir? Is my opinion worthless?
    I am not attacking you, I am curious. You have come here recently and said a lot of mildly interesting things, but I do not know if they are true or not. Whether your opinion is worthless or not depends very much on where you are coming from and what your background is. But you're not being very forth coming about that. This is the internet after all.

But since you ask, the Jewish sage Maimonides confirmed that Abraham came from a family and city of Sabi`ah Mushrikoon, though of course Maimonides does not call Abraham and his followers Sabi`ah Hunafa`, though the Torah does call him a "Ger" and the Hagarim are from his community.
    Where did Maimonides confirm this? I would be interested to know where the Torah called Abraham a "Ger" as well.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Then no offense taken friend. I am just a nobody with few if any credentials of any true value. All knowledge must be mined for and I do not believe in spoon-feeding. I have been mining for a long time, but if you would consider me faithfully passing on nothing but hearsay, at least you will always be pleasantly surprised inshallah. If there is any value in anything that I have written it should be apparent inshallah. Thank you for saying that some of the things that I have written are mildly interesting.

Abraham describes himself as a Ger and Toshav in Genesis 23:4. Maimonides' comments on the origins of Abraham in The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides on page 362 in the version by Docer Publication, Inc.

No more spoon feeding now. (kidding)
    Last edited by Sabi; 05-29-2006 at 11:46 AM.

FI SABI-LILLAH
    :coolbro:

= Just Teasing
    = Being Silly
    kay: = Naaa naa nanaaa naaa
    C'mon people they're just emmoticons!
    chat Quote

NahidSarvy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Sabians

Usually I have difficulty with the validity of wikipedia, but at the risk of sounding hypocritical, this time at least it seems they are running roughly along the right tracks. However I do object to the term Judaizers, since the religion of Noah predated the religion Moses revealed for the childtren of israel (at the same time re-iterating the religion for the Sabi`ah Hunafa` or Hasidei Umot Ha Olam aka HaGarim in contemporary and torah Hebrew respectively).
    "Judaisers" is the term used in English for people of gentile background who did not convert to Judaism but followed rules for foreigners who resided in Jewish lands.

The Sabian sect you ascribe to would be a separate group from those 'Judaisers' who took their teachings from Judaism; they would be 'cousins', so to speak, following the same Noachide origins but THROUGH Judaism.

I am also a little unclear about the origins of your specific teachings. Can you share? I am also intrigued.

Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The Sabians

Certainly sister, please read through the thread http://www.islamicboard.com/depth-is...hlight=small+m, and post any questions you like there, I will certainly do my best to answer inshallah.

format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy View Post
    "Judaisers" is the term used in English for people of gentile background who did not convert to Judaism but followed rules for foreigners who resided in Jewish lands.
    Ah, now that is interesting because what you described sounds a lot like my religion. By Judaizers I was imagining Christians who adopted Jewish trappings for their "Gentile" religions. For example many of the modern Messianic Jewish Christians are in fact nothing more than "Gentile" Christian Judaizers. while Those things that Moses (SAW) taught non Jews to follow are exactly what we follow, i.e. the religion of Noah (SAW).
    Last edited by Sabi; 05-29-2006 at 08:16 PM.

FI SABI-LILLAH

= Just Teasing
    = Being Silly
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

For example many of the modern Messianic Jewish Christians are in fact nothing more than "Gentile" Christian Judaizers. while Those things that Moses (SAW) taught non Jews to follow are exactly what we follow, i.e. the religion of Noah (SAW).
    Yeah, I've noticed that, for example, discussions of Têmanî Jewish practices of sujûd are mostly found on "Jews4Jesus"-style websites.

There are many versions of the Noachide Laws. Do you follow the Seven Rules or one of the more elaborate variations thereof? Are there other practices?

Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sister Nahid,

Firstly I would like to say how impressed I am at your knowledge in this area already. I think you are the first non-sabi I have met who is so well informed about the sibghatullah religion. Interestingly neo-templars are re-introduced to knowledge of their Sabi origins by the term you used only at their 21st degree. The basic categories of observance we follow are as follow:

Don't make God or religion your excuse for wrong (this is true Blasphemey)
    Don't kill
    Don't steal
    Shun idolatry
    Shun sexual immorality
    Eat Halal (killing any animal must be prayerful and serene, cruelty to animals is not to be tollerated)
    Support The Din that organizes observance of the other 6.

Islam is a perfect Din in respect of the last issue, but then HaLakhah is also valid. However, When it comes to revelation from God vs Rabbinical opinion, then of course the rabbis have to take a back seat.

For example if out of necessity one eats something that is not Halal then one would be unclean and must make ghusl and must also wash one's clothes by evening to escape sin. this is what was revealed to the non-Jews through Moses (SAW) even though the Rabbis have different opinions.

If the Messianic Jewish Christian Gentiles are starting to learn Sujood then I think that is great, but it is a pity that they don't just come to true monotheism as satisfied non-jews and stop calling themselves Jews. If they did they would be virtually the same as Sabi`een. But not many people are interested in the historical truth these days.

It is a pleasure to discuss with you, I am glad to make your acquaintance.

Salaamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakhatahu.
    Last edited by Sabi; 05-30-2006 at 02:35 PM.

FI SABI-LILLAH

= Just Teasing
    = Being Silly
    chat Quote

starfortress's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Peace to all brother

"Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabaeans - whoever believeth in God and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve" - Quran 2:62

so this verese mention to which sabaens,just asking?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sabian
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Brother,

The you quoted is about Al-Sabi`een and surely must refer only to the Sabi`ah Hunafa` rather than the Sabi`ah Mushrikoon. But I am not a muslim scholar so my opinion is not useful. However, I can tell you that my opinion was shared by Ibn Al-Qayyim:
    "There are two types of Sabians: the monotheistic Sabians (saabi’ah hunafa’) and polytheistic Sabians (saabi’ah mushrikoon). The monotheists are the ones who are saved and there were debates among them, and one group refuted the view of the other. These are the people of Ibraaheem as the Jews were the people of Moosa, and the monotheists among them were his followers. "

Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/92-98.

Sabi`een are also mentioned in Surah al-Hajj (22:17), and this is the collective title for all tybes of Sabi whether Haneef or Mushrik. Surah al-Maa’idah (5:69) mentions the Sabi`oon which are a special group among the Sabi`een who we refer to as "The keepers of the houses of Allah (SWT)".

BTW the spelling you used Sabaean refers to Sheba (mentioned in Surah 34) and not to the Sabi`een.

Thank you for expressing an interest concerning my religion. It is so nice to meet Muslims like you here. I am enjoying this forum very much and find all the Muslims here to be very good examples of muslumeen so far.

Salamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakhatahu

FI SABI-LILLAH

= Just Teasing
    = Being Silly
    chat Quote

starfortress's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Brother,

The you quoted is about Al-Sabi`een and surely must refer only to the Sabi`ah Hunafa` rather than the Sabi`ah Mushrikoon. But I am not a muslim scholar so my opinion is not useful. However, I can tell you that my opinion was shared by Ibn Al-Qayyim:
    "There are two types of Sabians: the monotheistic Sabians (saabi’ah hunafa’) and polytheistic Sabians (saabi’ah mushrikoon). The monotheists are the ones who are saved and there were debates among them, and one group refuted the view of the other. These are the people of Ibraaheem as the Jews were the people of Moosa, and the monotheists among them were his followers. "

Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/92-98.

Sabi`een are also mentioned in Surah al-Hajj (22:17), and this is the collective title for all tybes of Sabi whether Haneef or Mushrik. Surah al-Maa’idah (5:69) mentions the Sabi`oon which are a special group among the Sabi`een who we refer to as "The keepers of the houses of Allah (SWT)".

BTW the spelling you used Sabaean refers to Sheba (mentioned in Surah 34) and not to the Sabi`een.

Thank you for expressing an interest concerning my religion. It is so nice to meet Muslims like you here. I am enjoying this forum very much and find all the Muslims here to be very good examples of muslumeen so far.

Salamu aleikum wa rahmatullah wa barakhatahu

thanks for the explanation bro.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by NahidSarvy View Post

The Sabian sect you ascribe to would be a separate group from those 'Judaisers' who took their teachings from Judaism; they would be 'cousins', so to speak, following the same Noachide origins but THROUGH Judaism.

I am also a little unclear about the origins of your specific teachings. Can you share? I am also intrigued.
    Nahid - inta Druze?

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nahid - inta Druze?
    Anaa l-Haqq.

Ha ha, always wanted a chance to use that line.

No. They don't accept converts. I admire their juridical leanings, however, on certain issues and their stalwart political and religious unity over time.

Also, they wear sweet outfits. Pic of a Druze 3aqil (religious man) here for those not constrained by a fear that photographs steal your soul: http://almashriq.hiof.no/general/600...vant/druze.jpg

I didn't find one of a female leader - there are more female 3uqqal than men, but I guess they aren't as photogenic.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Baphomet, The Head, and the sabi`een Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Baphomet, The Head, and the sabi`een