× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 44 visibility 5297

Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down

Z's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

has anyone watched either of these? although both are some years old, the messages of the movies and the direction are still very strong.

how true were the pictures? if you've seen either one, what are your thoughts.

Got a question, or got something in general to say or ask me, drop me a line. Peace out!

- Z.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    NahidSarvy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down

I watched Black Hawk Down and enjoyed it, but the entire time kept thinking, "When's someone gonna say something in Somali?"

Tears of the Sun was ok, I like action films.

A good film, though? The Constant Gardiner knocked my socks off, as did - to my great surprise - The Translator.

Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I found “Black Hawk Down” quite disturbing. Some research that I did showed that it is factually accurate.

to my great surprise - The Translator. Me too! My low expetations caught me. I really liked it.
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've seen Black Hawk Down. Ridley Scott did a great job as always, but it was a shame that the Somalis were portrayed as some sort of faceless dark horde rather than human beings.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    firdaw's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Angry Re: Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down

I hated the black hawk down that place which movie took wasn't somali and those weren't actually somali people they just made it up.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I thought the (true) story took place in Somalia?

I didn't like how the... well... non-white army was portrayed either.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pukandi baba View Post
    [post removed]
    Yeah, but the way it's portrayed in the film is bordering on 'Zulu'-level racism.
    chat Quote

Pukandi baba's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Yeah, but the way it's portrayed in the film is bordering on 'Zulu'-level racism.

How long has the conflict been going on? it's still not resolved to this day - I feel sorry for all those innocents killed and who live in fear on a daily basis! I'd say they were nothing but barbaric.

As for the 'Zulu racism' statement i'm sure if they sent in African troops the outcome would have been the same, unfortunately!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ah, I see where the problem of this dialogue stems from - you're looking at it from the perspective of a viewer cognizant of the facts behind the conflict, whereas I'm trying to see what it looks like to viewers who are just watching the film as a movie. I'm trying to say, as a movie, it portrays the Somalis in an almost racist way, I felt. I'm trying to think of the effect it would have on a viewer who has just seen the film and not read the papers, as it were.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Sunflower's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i also didnt like the way they protrayed somalis in that film either and the only reason for this is that i have it from the mouth of people who are trust that the ways that somethings were protrayed in that film wasnt 'correct' but then Allah-Alam as one situation may appear as 2 different things to 2 differnt people
    chat Quote

Pukandi baba's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Ah, I see where the problem of this dialogue stems from - you're looking at it from the perspective of a viewer cognizant of the facts behind the conflict, whereas I'm trying to see what it looks like to viewers who are just watching the film as a movie. I'm trying to say, as a movie, it portrays the Somalis in an almost racist way, I felt. I'm trying to think of the effect it would have on a viewer who has just seen the film and not read the papers, as it were.
    Well i'm one to delve into my films kay:

But l'm sure there's not that many who are ignorant of that fact that there was a war going on in somalia. Anyway the British won in Zulu here it was the opposite.
    chat Quote

Z's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

what about the rebels in tears of the sun? it was pretty disturbing what i saw when they went in to clear the second village. but it's true, there are such horrific minded people on earth today.

also, in black hawk down a kid with an ak-47 is left, whereas in tears of the sun a kid gets neutralised. i found that interesting. maybe black hawk down was trying too hard.

Got a question, or got something in general to say or ask me, drop me a line. Peace out!

- Z.
    chat Quote

Angel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah 4eva View Post
    i also didnt like the way they protrayed somalis in that film either and the only reason for this is that i have it from the mouth of people who are trust that the ways that somethings were protrayed in that film wasnt 'correct' but then Allah-Alam as one situation may appear as 2 different things to 2 differnt people
    i agree i didnt like it either and thats not wat realy happened i read many papers and heard alot of talk from the somalians who live there and they were wrong about how they said they were barbaric besides if some one came to ur home and started attacking ur family and those u care for wat would u do u woundnt just stand there and let them destroy it would you :grumbling cuz i wouldnt !!!!
    chat Quote

islamrules's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Smile Re: Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down

I feel your anger sis.

Americans soldiers always potray themselves as good guys (never wrong, never defeated, always victorious)
    no offense to any Americans here it's just that i saw the film and it was really awful of the way they potrayed the somalians.

Asalaamu Aleykum
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    islamrules's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pukandi baba View Post
    [post removed]

what makes u think that is what they are, and i bet u have never even met a Somalian person in your live cos if you did you will be crazy to still call them barbians and if you did meet one they may have an even worse opinion of your so called Clinton guy or his country.

so here is an advice for you
    think before you talk!!:rant:
    Last edited by Muhammad; 06-02-2006 at 10:51 PM.
    chat Quote

NahidSarvy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

One word: qat.

Is your religion real when it costs you nothing and carries no risk? Is your religion real when you fatten upon it? Is your religion real when you commit atrocities in its name? Whence comes your downward degeneration from the original revelation?
    chat Quote

Luminous's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Puka, I find your comments highly insulting, calling somalis barbarians. #1-no one asked the clinton administration to stick their noses where it wasnt wanted, history shows he's more useful in an oval office than anywhere else. Americans have this mistaken and often arrogant attitude that they are the rulers of this world, sent to mankind to right its wrongs, when we all know that majority of problems in africa and elsewhere originated with the greed of likeminded men who only do things for their benefits. ie-war in iraq, better known as more oil in america's pockets. Somalis were indeed heroes in kicking out the americans as fast as they did, and the sad part is that 5,000 died, mostly women and children which the US army shamelessly shot as an act of revenge. Sound familiar? ie-the 24 women and children the coalition forces shot in iraq last november as retaliation to losing one of their own. So b4 you hail them as heroes, do a little homework and don't be so quick to believe CNN or Fox news. Only kids believe in santa clause.
    chat Quote

AvarAllahNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islamrules View Post
    what makes u think that is what they are, and i bet u have never even met a Somalian person in your live cos if you did you will be crazy to still call them barbians and if you did meet one they may have an even worse opinion of your so called Clinton guy or his country.

so here is an advice for you
    think before you talk!!:rant:
    Erm, i lived in an area where the majority of them were Somalians.

I'm referring to the ones in somalia, They have an internal conflict (civil war) perhaps i was a little harsh in referring to them as barbaric.

To the best of my knowledge Clinton sent them in to try to resolve the situation, there are 50 Islamic countries i didn't see any of them rushing to their aid, did you? Same goes for the Bosnian conflict, how many Muslims were massacred there? But no intervention!!
    chat Quote

AvarAllahNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Somalis were indeed heroes in kicking out the americans as fast as they did, and the sad part is that 5,000 died, mostly women and children which the US army shamelessly shot as an act of revenge. Sound familiar? ie-the 24 women and children the coalition forces shot in iraq last november as retaliation to losing one of their own. So b4 you hail them as heroes, do a little homework and don't be so quick to believe CNN or Fox news. Only kids believe in santa clause.

I did think they were trying to help, as for invading Iraq i wasn't in support of that.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Sister_6038's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

ive watched black hawk down and erm well as much as I would love to say it was nothing like that...as i was only a kid when it happened....but a lot of my family were there...and as ever how they portray it in the "muuvvies" is nothing like how it was in reality....and for clinton being so kind and considerate for sending out his soldiers to work things out...he might as well have not bothered....besides we all know he had a hidden agenda....like they all do....
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Tears of the Sun/Black Hawk Down