star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

discussion on the Trinity doctrine

Report bad ads?

I think it would be safe to say that many Christians who accept the doctrine of the Trinity, also remain confused and even those who have a deeper understanding of it, will admit that they do not understand it completely when challenged. The normal answer is that the Trinity is hard to understand because God is beyond our thinking.

I have also found out that a lot of people believe in 2 types of Trinity Doctrine. Some believe that God is one being that shows himself in 3 different ways like water shows itself in the form of ice, steam and liquid, others believe that the Trinity is made up of 3 distinct personalities and these 3 are in complete unity in love and purpose. This last explanation is probably the most common.

Now I guess is a good time to explain the Trinity doctrine( IF I can ).:X

The Trinity basically says that there is one God.
    The Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God.
    Hence God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
    These three are one God. Each is co-equal and co-eternal.
    God is described as a class or family, made up of the three personalities already mentioned.

This ancient diagram explains the Trinity quite well.

trinity - discussion on the Trinity doctrine
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    duskiness's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: discussion on the Trinity doctrine

format_quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Some believe that God is one being that shows himself in 3 different ways like water shows itself in the form of ice, steam and liquid
    this theory is called "modalism" and was long, long, long ago declared heresy. But is often used to translate Trinity in more simple way

apart from that -Idris: <clap, clap> simply great, and thx for posting
    n.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.
    chat Quote

Umar001's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Idris jus wondering, if you understand them to be co-equal does this mean that noone is of a higher status than the other, Like Father not of Son nor Son of Spirit and so on.

And jus wonderin if they all are kinda eternal as said why is one called son, i mean it indicates that he has had a beggining.

Thank you for your post and please be patient with me.

The path is long but I hope we meet,
    After the grave and the Day, in paradise in bliss upon a reclined seat.

A traveler traveling - travelled from shirk to tawheed,
    If I'm remembered for anything - let it be the Mercy I seek.

Your Bro. Abu Hurayra, al-Habeshi
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

others believe that the Trinity is made up of 3 distinct personalities and these 3 are in complete unity in love and purpose. This last explanation is probably the most common.

Why does God even need to be in three parts? Whats the point? Is a God who is just plain one incapable of being perfect, so we need to split him into three parts in make him perfect? Its just so counterintuitive, makes no sense at all.

wwwislamicboardcom - discussion on the Trinity doctrine
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Idris's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Have you ever been confused by the following scriptures.

1 John 4:12 (English-NIV)
    No one has ever seen God; ....
    Or

1 Timothy 1:17 (English-NIV)
    Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.
    Amen.
    Or

1 Timothy 6:15-16 (English-NIV)
    15 which God will bring about in his own time, God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
    16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

What does it imply that no one has seen God. Haven’t countless people seen Jesus who is suppose to be God incarnate?
    This does seem confusing but the word "God" in these verses are of course referring to the Father as the following scriptures will prove.

John 6:46 (English-NIV)
    No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

John 1:18 (English-KJV)
    No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 5:37 (English-NIV)
    And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me.
    You have never heard his voice nor seen his form.

So it is obvious that no one can see God, but only his son can reveal him to us.

This next scripture would have to be one of the most ignored verses in the Bible, because it does not fit in with most peoples theology.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (English-NIV)
    5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
    6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live

You cannot make this scripture say anything else without misquoting it. It is very straight forward and to the point. The amazing thing about this scripture is the fact that it is not isolated.
    J
    ames 2:19 (English-NIV)
    You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that and shudder.

John 17:3 (English-NIV)
    Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Again we see that the only True God is the Father, and Jesus Christ was sent by the only True God. Again you cannot make this scripture say anything else, it is self explanatory. John said that this truth is eternal life.

1 Corinthians 11:3 (English-NIV)
    Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
    The Head of Christ is God.

This scripture shows a completely different structure or pattern from the Trinity. The word head in the Greek is the word "kephale" which literally means 'from', 'source' or 'position of authority'.
    If God were a Trinity, how do you explain that the head of Christ is God. We know that Jesus is the Christ, but so far the scriptures seem to say that God is the head of Jesus. Is the Father the one and only God? Is the Father above all, even Christ?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Im realy confused, is Idris provin or disprovin Trinity in the BIble?

chat Quote

Idris's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah View Post
    Idris jus wondering, if you understand them to be co-equal does this mean that noone is of a higher status than the other, Like Father not of Son nor Son of Spirit and so on.

And jus wonderin if they all are kinda eternal as said why is one called son, i mean it indicates that he has had a beggining.

Thank you for your post and please be patient with me.

Err I am not Christian but from a From a Christian view he/she thinks so.
    and same to cheese too ask a Christian
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Err I am not Christian but from a From a Christian view he/she thinks so.
    and same to cheese too ask a Christian

Whose the 'he/she' that thinks so?

Lol your confusing me so much

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks Idris.

You know, it is difficult to explain the concept of the trinity - especially to those who consider it to be in conflict with monotheism.
    I will make sure to link any future queries with regards to the trinity to your post.

peace.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - discussion on the Trinity doctrine

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah View Post
    Im realy confused, is Idris provin or disprovin Trinity in the BIble?
    He is doing neither.
    He is merely explaining it.
    It's actually nice to hear a Muslim explain it - perhaps it makes it clearer to other Muslims.

I don't think Idris is trying to turn people away from Islam here ... :thankyou:

peace.

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post

Why does God even need to be in three parts? Whats the point? Is a God who is just plain one incapable of being perfect, so we need to split him into three parts in make him perfect? Its just so counterintuitive, makes no sense at all.
    Hi cheese

That seems like very strange questions to me indeed.
    I mean, it's like asking 'What's the point in God?' or 'Why does God do what he does?' or 'Why is God at all?'

God is God, he always has been and forever will be. He is how he is - even if we don't think it makes sense.
    Is to question God in such a way not equivalent to trying to put yourself above God??
    Surely that's not what Islam teaches?

Christians didn't invent the trinity, or thought it was a funky new way to look at God, or they wanted to 'be different' - they believe that's how God is!

Peace.:thankyou:

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Umm Yoosuf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Al-Athariyyah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think my brother Idris is just stating the belif of the Christains regarding the Trinity.

I believe the real question is this:X

Have you ever been confused by the following scriptures.
    1 John 4:12 (English-NIV)
    No one has ever seen God; ....
    Or

1 Timothy 1:17 (English-NIV)
    Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.
    Amen.
    Or

1 Timothy 6:15-16 (English-NIV)
    15 which God will bring about in his own time, God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
    16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

What does it imply that no one has seen God. Haven’t countless people seen Jesus who is suppose to be God incarnate?
    This does seem confusing but the word "God" in these verses are of course referring to the Father as the following scriptures will prove.

John 6:46 (English-NIV)
    No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

John 1:18 (English-KJV)
    No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 5:37 (English-NIV)
    And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me.
    You have never heard his voice nor seen his form.

So it is obvious that no one can see God, but only his son can reveal him to us.

This next scripture would have to be one of the most ignored verses in the Bible, because it does not fit in with most peoples theology.

1 Corinthians 8:5-6 (English-NIV)
    5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),
    6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live

You cannot make this scripture say anything else without misquoting it. It is very straight forward and to the point. The amazing thing about this scripture is the fact that it is not isolated.
    J
    ames 2:19 (English-NIV)
    You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that and shudder.

John 17:3 (English-NIV)
    Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Again we see that the only True God is the Father, and Jesus Christ was sent by the only True God. Again you cannot make this scripture say anything else, it is self explanatory. John said that this truth is eternal life.

1 Corinthians 11:3 (English-NIV)
    Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
    The Head of Christ is God.

This scripture shows a completely different structure or pattern from the Trinity. The word head in the Greek is the word "kephale" which literally means 'from', 'source' or 'position of authority'.
    If God were a Trinity, how do you explain that the head of Christ is God. We know that Jesus is the Christ, but so far the scriptures seem to say that God is the head of Jesus. Is the Father the one and only God? Is the Father above all, even Christ?
    Insha Allah (God-Willing) it would be good if some of the christain members can refer to the above quotes and explain it...
    chat Quote

Zohair's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

great post by brother Idris (second one) that shows that the christian doctrine is not the trinity, but that god is one. I always wondered why there isn't a single unambigious statement referring to the trinity in the bible, and yet christians believe in it, aren't christians suppose to follow the Bible
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Zohair
    aren't christians suppose to follow the Bible
    No.

Its like a spiritual guide. Its not a set of rules.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    akr4m's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful

"Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are christians": because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant."
    ( Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #82)

Greetings to all non - muslims

Just wanted to comment on that trinity diagram

The trinity diagram is not logical

The diagram is described:

Father = God
    Son = God
    Holy Spirit = God

At the same time

Father does not = son
    Father does not = Holy Spirit
    Son does not = Holy sprit

And we know from the laws of logic

If A = B, B = C then A = C

Therefore
    If Father = God and Son = God then Son also ought to = Father but the diagram doesn’t agree (Son does not = father), hence not logical.

take care
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by akr4m
    ...hence not logical

TO: akr4m
    In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful.

Agreed that it is not logical. And it remains the Christain belief.

But then faith is never logical!
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Hi cheese

That seems like very strange questions to me indeed.
    I mean, it's like asking 'What's the point in God?' or 'Why does God do what he does?' or 'Why is God at all?'

God is God, he always has been and forever will be. He is how he is - even if we don't think it makes sense.
    Is to question God in such a way not equivalent to trying to put yourself above God??
    Surely that's not what Islam teaches?

Christians didn't invent the trinity, or thought it was a funky new way to look at God, or they wanted to 'be different' - they believe that's how God is!

Peace.:thankyou:
    Thanks for your reply Glo.

I personally dont understand why you think its a strange question. I just find it logical that the perfect 'being'- God, who created everything in existence from nothing, is not in need of having to be in three parts. If he is indeed perfect and capable of doing all the things i believe that he is able to, then it only makes sense that such a superior being would only need to be in one part, why three?

Isnt there an implication that if God is in three parts all the parts are dependent on each other, meaning that each part alone is incomplete and that God can only be complete if he is all three parts together, which further implies that one part of God alone is incapable of being fully functional...

I understand that there are somethings about God what we just have to accept- like how he can be paying attention to a million things instantaneously, or how he can be uncreated. We have to accept these things becuase they are out side our scope of understanding. But i personally dont think that the 'oneness' of God falls in to such a catergory.

I think we can both agree that there is one God- as this is something that both christianity and Islam teach- yet christians takes it further to claim that the one God is in three parts. But what is the point of that? If the one God is perfect already why on earth would this God need to be split in to three toperform the function that One perfect God with out parts is capable of performing?

I hope you understand where im coming from Glo.
    Take care

wwwislamicboardcom - discussion on the Trinity doctrine
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
    to claim that the one God is in three parts. But what is the point of that?

It goes to the heart of Christianity.

Jesus had a mother, Mary and a father, God

Jesues and God are one in the same.

Jesus is God and God is Jesus. They are 2 and yet they are 1.

Add to this the Holy Spirit who is all around us.

The Christain belief of the Holy Trinity and the Christain belief that God is the father of Jesus are one belief.

The 2 beliefs cannot be separated.
    chat Quote

Zohair's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    No.

Its like a spiritual guide. Its not a set of rules.
    then what are the set of rules?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Zohair
    then what are the set of rules?
    Rules for what?

Most people live by rules made by their government or by their local community.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! discussion on the Trinity doctrine Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. discussion on the Trinity doctrine