Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Are pictures haram?

Report bad ads?

Hadith -Bukhari 4:47, Narrated 'Aisha

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

Hadith - Bukhari 4:448, Narrated Abu Talha

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Hadith -Bukhari 5:338, Narrated Ibn Abbas

Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture." He meant the images of creatures that have souls.

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib

AbulHayyaj al-Asadi told that Ali ibn AbuTalib said to him: Should I not send you on the same mission as Allah's Messenger sent me? Do not leave an image without obliterating it, or a high grave without levelling it. This hadith has been reported by Habib with the same chain of transmitters and he said: (do not leave) a picture without obliterating it.

Hadith - Muslim, narrated Maymunah

One morning Allah's Messenger was silent with grief. Maymunah said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me last night, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises; and Allah's Messenger spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He gave an order and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it on the place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: You promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. So the very next morning he commanded the dogs to be killed. He announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog used for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

Hadith - Bukhari 8:151, Narrated 'Aisha

I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet , and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

When the Apostle of Allah arrived after the expedition to Tabuk or Khaybar (the narrator is doubtful), the draught raised an end of a curtain which was hung in front of her store-room, revealing some dolls which belonged to her. He asked: What is this? She replied: My dolls. Among them he saw a horse with wings made of rags, and asked: What is this I see among them? She replied: A horse. He asked: What is this that it has on it? She replied: Two wings. He asked: A horse with two wings? She replied: Have you not heard that Solomon had horses with wings? She said: Thereupon the Apostle of Allah laughed so heartily that I could see his molar teeth.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 2.425, Narrated Aisha, r.a.

When the Prophet became ill, some of his wives talked about a church which they had seen in Ethiopia and it was called Mariya. Um Salma and Um Habiba had been to Ethiopia, and both of them narrated its (the Church's) beauty and the pictures it contained. The Prophet raised his head and said, "Those are the people who, whenever a pious man dies amongst them, make a place of worship at his grave and then they make those pictures in it. Those are the worst creatures in the Sight of Allah."

Hadith - At-Tirmidhi

"On the Day of Resurrection a neck will stretch forth from Hell; it will have two eyes to see, two ears to hear, and a tongue to speak. It will say, "I have been appointed to take care of three types of people: every arrogant tyrant, every person who called on some deity other than Allaah (swt) and those who made pictures" [at-Tirmidhi stated that this hadith was saheeh - at-Takhweef min an-Naar, p.179, See also Jaami' al-Usool, 10/518, the editor said its isnaad is hasan]

i think this suggest rather strongly, pictures r haram..?? Is they really are then we need to pull our socks up & stop doing it
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: R pictures haram?

First of all, Allah swt knows best, and this has become a controversial issue. It all depends on the pictures, and what is being done with the pictures. I agree with this fatwa by Shaykh Ahmad Kutty:

"Photography as a medium of communication or for the simple, innocent retention of memories without the taint of reverence/shirk does not fall under the category of forbidden Tasweer.

One finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

The function of photography today does not fall under the above category. Even some of the scholars who had been once vehemently opposed to photography under the pretext that it was a form of forbidden Tasweer have later changed their position on it - as they allow even for their own pictures to be taken and published in newspapers, for videotaping lectures and for presentations; whereas in the past, they would only allow it in exceptional cases such as passports, drivers’ licenses, etc. The change in their view of photography is based on their assessment of the role of photography.

Having said this, one must add a word of caution: To take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission. This may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship, which was precisely the main thrust of the prohibition of Tasweer. Therefore, one cannot make an unqualified statement to the effect that all photography is halal. It all depends on the use and function of it. If it is for educational purpose and has not been tainted with the motive of reverence and hero worship, there is nothing in the sources to prohibit it."

Here are two other views, if one would like to examine the conflicting opinions on this issue:
    Islam-Q&A <-makes some excellent points
    Understanding Islam.

Do everything for the sake of Allah swt, and He will guide your actions. I believe another point to note as well, is that keeping images/pictures in a book/desk/folder is different from hanging them up or adorning the house with them.

Last edited by Ansar Al-'Adl; 06-07-2005 at 07:43 PM.
    Are pictures haram?

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
    "Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
    Excellent resources on Islam listed HERE.
    chat Quote

Khayal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaam O Alaikum Wa Rahamatullahe Wabarakatu

MashaAllah, very important sharing, :rose: jazak ALLAH khair.

Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa Rahamatullahe Wabarakatu
    chat Quote

Lateralus63's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I hate to say i told you so Danish :P, im joking
    Are pictures haram?

Post count means nothing. So dont pursue it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Danish's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

:j: Ansar Al-'Adl, thats what i dont get...some scholars say music is haram, others say its not, some say pictures r haram, others say its not...some scholars say masturbating is halal for some reasons, others say its no way halal...who r u suppose to follow? Can we just follow the scholar we like and if they r wrong blame 'em in the day of judgement?
    chat Quote

minaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    rep points mean nothin
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Very good discussion going on "Danish", however I have never heard of anyone saying masturbation being halal, let alone anyone ever saying the word in regards to religion! (btw is it halal/haraam?) You do have a point at the end, but i feel its a foolish one mate No matter what a scholar says, its your job to interpret it, analyse it then come to a decision whether or not to implement it. You can't let someone else be the scape goat, for only Allah knows your true intentions my friend
    chat Quote

Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Danish

:j: Ansar Al-'Adl, thats what i dont get...some scholars say music is haram, others say its not, some say pictures r haram, others say its not...some scholars say masturbating is halal for some reasons, others say its no way halal...who r u suppose to follow? Can we just follow the scholar we like and if they r wrong blame 'em in the day of judgement?

Shudnt some fact mentioned above belong in the brothers section? Id be happy if this topic was moved there.
    Are pictures haram?

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

minaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    rep points mean nothin
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

very true ahmed, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

:Sl:
    Very good discussion going on "Danish", however I have never heard of anyone saying masturbation being halal, let alone anyone ever saying the word in regards to religion! (btw is it halal/haraam?) You do have a point at the end, but i feel its a foolish one mate No matter what a scholar says, its your job to interpret it, analyse it then come to a decision whether or not to implement it. You can't let someone else be the scape goat, for only Allah knows your true intentions my friend
    yep,. many say thats haram...just saying, many scholars say u can do it on if it helps u lower ur desire and do worse things....check Islamicity.com question/answers section if u dont believe me...but not that i do anything like that alhamdulilah, i was just posing a point
    Shudnt some fact mentioned above belong in the brothers section? Id be happy if this topic was moved there.
    if u wanna, but i DIDNT wanna discuss that at all, just wanted to ask what ppl think when scholars dont agree..who is the right scholar etc

change of topic: i guess music is haram then????
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The truth of the matter is that these are gray areas between halal and haraam. There is no clear-cut answer to many of these issues. And in Islam we should always take everything in moderation and make our intention for the sake of Allah swt. As our Eeman increases we should try to stay away from the gray areas more and more.
    http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_li...slam/ch1p9.htm

Are pictures haram?

"Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well, according to that link and hadith Ansar, its BETTER for MUSLIMs to avoid such things coz of doubt...err...from that logic shouldnt pictures be NOT ENCOURAGEd too then, providing there is alternative?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, its better to avoid gray areas, if you do it for the sake of pleasing Allah swt. But we should not be extreme in making the unclear grey areas prohibited. They are not haraam, but the stronger the Muslim, the more he avoids them. With regards to pictures, take the balanced view presented in my first post here.

.from that logic shouldnt pictures be NOT ENCOURAGEd too then, providing there is alternative?
    Yes, we should not encourage people to draw pictures with faces.

Are pictures haram?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yep, u clarified it mashallah Ansar....

i remmeber there is a hadith about Prophet (PHUB) saying there r Halal things which r clear, and haram things which r clear, and in between there r doubtful matters, for those who wanna strengthen iman, its better to avoid doubtful things
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Exclamation Re: R pictures haram?

Yep, u clarified it mashallah Ansar....

i remmeber there is a hadith about Prophet (PHUB) saying there r Halal things which r clear, and haram things which r clear, and in between there r doubtful matters, for those who wanna strengthen iman, its better to avoid doubtful things

There's more than a small hadith narration; refer to Surah Aal-'Imran 3: verse 7 for details . . .

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical. But those in whose hearts is doubt pursue, forsooth, that which is allegorical seeking (to cause) dissension by seeking to explain it. None knoweth its explanation save Allah. And those who are of sound instruction say: We believe therein; the whole is from our Lord; but only men of understanding really heed." -- Al E'Imran verse 7
    chat Quote

Abunaaila's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Tasweer

Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

Wal - Alhamdulillaahi Rabbil-`Aalameen was-Salaatu was-Salaamu `Alaa Rasoolillaah, Wa 'ala Alihe wa As-habihe, ajma'een.

Wa Ba'ad:
    Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatu

I wanted to provide some information on tasweer since some have photos of themselves on the forum. I pray that this information is a benefit. May Allah Ta'ala protect us all and forgive us our sins. May Allahu Ta'ala guide us to the haqq and accept from us our ibaadah, Ameen.

An extract From 'The Islamic Ruling Concerning Tasweer'

By Shaikh 'Abdul-'Aziz bin Baaz rahimahullaah Former Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Image Makers will be punished on the Day of Judgement

Narrated Abdullaah ibn 'Umar (d.73H) radiallaahu 'anhu: Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said, "Those who make these images (suwar) will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, make alive what you have created." (Al-Bukhaaree 7/541, no.835; Muslim, 3/160, no.,5268)

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar (d.852H) says, "It is a command to do that which one is unable to do. From it we get a description of how the punishment of the image-maker will be. He will be ordered to breathe the soul into the image which he has made and he will not be able to do so. As a result his punishment will continue (UNCEASINGLY)." (Fath ul-Baaree, 10/398).

It should also be mentioned that there must be consideration in this matter if the making of a picture is necessitate by urgency or emergency, such as x-rays for identification or diagnosis of a disease or sickness. In this case the condition is that the picture itself be not the immediate goal or objective.

This is based on the rule is Usool al-fiqh: necessity should be measured by the existing circumstances.

Whatever goes beyond that, to the point of being done out of pride, and enjoyment of these images, is forbidden. (Nuzhatul Muttaqeen, 2/1150, no.1680)

The Command to Remove Curtains Containing Images

'Aaisha (d.58H) radiallaahu 'anhaa reported that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam came back from a journey and I had screened my door with a curtain having (images) of winged horses on it. He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam commanded me (to remove it). So I pulled it down. [This is the wording narrated by Muslim] (Muslim, 3/1158, no.5256)

Al- Bukhaaree's narration is, "I had hung a thick curtain having images (tamaatheel). He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam commanded me to remove it, so I pulled it down." [Bukhaaree, 7/542]

Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajr says, "It has the word tamaatheel which is the plural of timthaal and refers to something whose image is made; and it is more general than to be limited to shaakhis (that which has body like a statue) or naqsh (engraved), dahn (painting), or nasaj (weaved) in a cloth.

In the narration of Bukair ibn al-Ashajj from Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Al-Qaasim, reported by Muslim (3/1159, no.5265), it contains the words ".. she hung up a curtain which had in it tasaaweer (images)."." (Fath ul-Baaree, 10/401. no.5955)

See also Ahmad 6/208, 6/281, where 'Aaisha's narration contains, "... she said then he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam tore it up."

Pulling Down and Tearing up Curtains Containing Images

'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa reported that she had a curtain which had images (tasaweer) in it. Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam entered (the room) and pulled it down. 'Aaisha said, "I then tore it and prepared two cushions from it." A man who was present at the time when this Hadith was being narrated and whose name was Rabeeah ibn 'Ataa ibn al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad was one of the students of al-Qaasim ibn Muhamma, asked, "Didn't you hear Abu Muhammad (al-Qaasim, the narrator from 'Aaisha), making mention of 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa having stated that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam used to recline on them (the two cushions)?" Abdur-Rahmaan ibn al-Qaasim said, "No, but I heard al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad saying so." (Muslim, 3/1159, no.5265, footnote 2518).

This is similar to what al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar said concerning the reconciliation ('jam) between the following Hadith containing the words, "... he tore (the curtain containing images) apart ... so we turned the curtains into one or two cushions", and the next Hadith containing the words "She bought a cushion having images on it. When Allaah's messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it he stopped at the door and did not enter ... he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam added: Angels do not enter a house in which there are images."

al-Haafidh says another possible explanation for reconciliation between the two Hadith is that when the curtain was cut up, the cutting could have been, for example, in the middle of the image, thereby changing it from its original form. For this reason he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam began to use it to lean on.

The Most Severely Punished People on the Day of Resurrection Will Be Those Who Try to Imitate Allaah's Creation

Narrated 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa that Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam returned from a journey when I had placed a curtain of mine having images (tamaatheel) over (the door of) a chamber of mine. When Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it, he tore it apart and said: "The People who will receive the severest punishment on the Day of Resurrection will be those who try the make the like of Allaah's creation." So we turned the curtains into one or two cushions / pillows." (al-Bukhaaree, 7/542, no.838)

In another narration he sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said "... those who make these images." (Bukhaaree, 8/83, no.130) In the narration of Muslim it contains the words, "... he tore it apart and the colour of his face underwent a change." (Muslim 3/1159, no.5261) In the narration of az-Zuhree from al Qaasim as reported by Muslim "... those who try to imitate (make similar to) the creation of Allaah (alladheena yushabbihoona bi khalq Allaah)." [Muslim 3/1158, no.5258)

Dislike of Entering a House Where There Are Images Even if Those Images Were in That Which is Sat Upon (Dishonoured) Like a Cushion

Narrated 'Aaisha radiallaahu 'anhaa, the wife of the Prophet sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, who said: I bought a cushion (numruqah) having images (tasaweer) on it. When Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam saw it, he stopped at the door and did not enter. She noticed the signs of strong disapproval on his face. She said "O Allaah's Messenger! I turn to Allaah and His Messenger in repentance. What sin have I committed?" He said, "What is this cushion for?" I said, "I have bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said "The makers of these images (suwar) will be punished (severely) on the Day of Resurrection and it will be said to them, make alive what you have created." He sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam added, "Angels do not enter a house in which there are images (suwar)." (al-Bukhaaree, 7/545, no.844), Muslim 3/1159, no.5266)

Angels Do Not Enter A House Where There are Images

Abu Hurairah radiallaahu 'anhu reported Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam as saying, "Angels do not enter a house (or any other place) where there are statues (tamatheel) or pictures (Tasaweer)." (Muslim 3/1162, no.5276)

Whoever is pleased to have images in his house himself prohibits the entry of the angels. The angels do not enter because of their rejection and disapproval of the act of the image makers in violation of the laws of Allaah, the Most high. The result of this is that the absence of the angels is an open invitation to the devils. According to some scholars the angels which are prohibited from entry are only the angels of MERCY, and not all angels, since the angels who write the deeds of human beings (al-Hafazah) do not separate from the human simply because of the presence of images. (Nuzhatul Muttaqeen, 2/1153, no.1686 and 1688)

Ibn Hajar says its apparent meaning is that it is general (applicable to all angels).

Al-Qurtubee says, "That which points to the recording angels being a special exception i.e. that they are not prevented from entering, has no supporting textual evidence."

------------

Praise be to Allah.

Photography (tasweer) means the taking of pictures of living, animate moving beings, like people, animals, birds, etc. The ruling is that it is forbidden on the basis of a number of reports, such as the following:

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Allah, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

'Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) sent me? Do not leave any built-up tomb without leveling it, and do not leave any picture in any house without erasing it." (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa'i; this is the version narrated by al-Nisaa'i).

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire, and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Ibn 'Abbaas said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871)

These Hadith indicate that pictures of animate beings are haram, whether they are humans or other creatures, whether they are three-dimensional or two-dimensional, whether they are printed, drawn, etched, engraved, carved, cast in moulds, etc. These Hadith include all of these types of pictures.

The Muslim should submit to the teachings of Islam and not argue with them by saying, "But I am not worshipping them or prostrating to them!" If we think about just one aspect of the evil caused by the previewence of photographs and pictures in our times, we will understand something of the wisdom behind this prohibition: that aspect is the great corruption caused by the provoking of physical desires and subsequent spread of immorality caused by these pictures.

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because they will prevent the angels from entering. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhari, see al-Fath, 10/380). But nowadays, unfortunately, one can even find in some Muslim homes statues of gods worshipped by the kuffar (such as Buddha etc.) which they keep on the basis that they are antiques or decorative pieces. These things are more strictly prohibited than others, just as pictures which are hung up are worse than pictures which are not hung up, for how easily they can lead to glorification, and cause grief or be a source of boasting! We cannot say that these pictures are kept for memory's sake, because true memories of a Muslim relative or friend reside in the heart, and we remember them by praying for mercy and forgiveness for them.

Taking pictures with a camera involves human actions such as focusing, pressing the shutter, developing, printing, and so on. We cannot call it anything other than "picture-making" or tasweer, which is the statement used by all Arabic-speakers to describe this action.

In the book Al-I'laam bi naqd kittab al-halaal wa'l-haram, the author says: "Photography is even more of an imitation of the creation of Allah than pictures which are engraved or drawn, so it is even more deserving of being prohibited… There is nothing that could exclude photography from the general meaning of the reports." (p. 42, see also Fatawa Islamiyyah, 4/355).
    chat Quote

sonz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Tasweer

salam

u said

I wanted to provide some information on tasweer since some have photos of themselves on the forum. I pray that this information is a benefit. May Allah Ta'ala protect us all and forgive us our sins. May Allahu Ta'ala guide us to the haqq and accept from us our ibaadah, Ameen.

is it haram to have photos on forum????

:confused:
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Abu Hasinah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu alaikum

On the image issue, it is completely different for computer screen, read the following:
    http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=e...&QR=10326&dgn=4

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:
    With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential. But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)
    chat Quote

Abunaaila's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As Salaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatu Allah:

As to the fatawa that was shown in the link provided... It seemed to pertain mostly to cinema/tv. No so much speaking on the computer generated. For that which was mentioned by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (Raheem Allah)

"The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all."

Then this for those as he said... "no tangible substance". Wouldn't that be without form?

I don't think this allows still photos such as people or other objects with a ruh that are clear and tangible. Such as those photos of people offering salat or just regular clear photos as would be taken with a camera then transmitted to the computer. These camera photos are not in line with the laws of necessity such as drivers license or passport photos.

Wa Allahu A'lam

If I am wrong, then please correct me.

Barak Allahu Feek
    Are pictures haram?

Abu Na'aila

"And it is up to Allah to show the right way. But there are ways that stray. And had He willed, He would have guided you all." [Surah An-Nahl 16:9]
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Takumi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is there any other opinion out there? I'd appreciate it if anyone could do that in the future.

Give all the opinions, and let us choose.

No offence, but scholars are human beings.

Before al baani came around, people used to think that Bukhari and Muslim's collection were THE thing. But then al baani pointed out some hadeeth narrated in Mustadrak are also to the level of that in Bukhari and Muslim.

Thank you for your advice though. Appreciate it.
    Are pictures haram?

Takumi Nakashima
    WattaquLlah(a) wa yu'allimukumuLlah(u)
    (Be Mindful of Allah and He will teach you)
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Are pictures haram? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Are pictures haram?