Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Shaving your beard to get a job.

Report bad ads?

Removing the Obstacle

A qualified medical worker from India emigrated to Canada to live a better life. This Muslim brother had a beard. He applied to many different places for a job and was called for interviews. Though he was highly qualified for the jobs, the interviewers hesitated to hire him because of his beard. One by one, he was rejected from all the companies. One interviewer actually mentioned to him indirectly that his beard was an obstacle to getting the job. Trully, it was a big test for him from Allah. Hopeless and exhausted, the brother decided to remove the obstacle, which was to shave off his beard. Then he returned to that company and requested for another interview. When the interviewer saw him without a beard this time, he refused to give him the job again. The brother became confused and asked to know the reason. The interviewer said "If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

This true incident was narrated to us by a friend who personally knows this brother, however, his identity will remain private. In reality, obeying the commandments of Allah does not bring failure. In the beginning, we may face various problems, but the end results will be very sweet. Prophet of Allah (SAW) also faced many problems in the beginning, but in the end, he saw how hundreds and thousands of people turned towards Allah for his steadfastness. Ibn 'Umar, may God be pleased with him, said: "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and give him peace, ordered us to trim closely the mustache and leave the beard as it is (that is grow the beard)." (Reported in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Najiullah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Shaving your beard to get a job.

subhanALlah great post
    "If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

very true
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

True, but that interviewer sucked and wouldn't have given him the job anyway. Ah the pleasures of job seeking...
    chat Quote

Kidman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

By him shaving his beard, it means he put the job above Allah. If anything, he's more faithful for that job than Allah.

Kidman

Picture removed!
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Do you really believe stories like this?
    I find them as credible as pork in Coke.

An employer will not hire someone because he is a Muslim and then says he won’t hire him because he doesn’t conceder him a good Muslim. I find that a bit illogical.

A qualified medical worker. Qualified to do what? Urban ledgers almost always use vague terms that severely limit the verification of there fabrication. Narrated to us by a friend who personally knows this brother. Seams a bit removed and of course, this person’s identity will remain private. That way the story can not be verified.
    Notice too, where he is from and where he emigrated to, are vast areas making the story even less verifiable.

I don’t question for a minute that there is Islamaphobia in Canada, but every employer is bias against Muslims. I think not. But then, that’s just me.

Doesn’t Canada have discrimination laws? If that happened in the US, the employer would find himself in court. Of course CAIR is strong in Canada. If the story was true, I’m sure they would love to help.
    chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well, i don't know what country you're in but in the u.s. there are a lot of sikh doctors, with full beard and turban.
    i think the story is a bit fishy also.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Shaving your beard to get a job.
    chat Quote

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Never seen Malaysian soldiers with beards...... And I've heard some company wants their employees to shave.... plus in Malaysian public schools - NO BEARD!!!

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wilberhum and snakelegs i think you totally missed the point, which was the MORAL of the story not the story it self... i very much doubt it is real as well (as if a kafir can come back with a response like that lol) but seriously who cares

and the moral isnt that the west hates muslims either, its about putting this life before pleasing God..

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post
    Never seen Malaysian soldiers with beards...... And I've heard some company wants their employees to shave.... plus in Malaysian public schools - NO BEARD!!!

Malaysia has seriously lost the plot...

wwwislamicboardcom - Shaving your beard to get a job.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post

It's not a problem actually because .... 90% of Malaysian Muslims believe that beard is not obligatory in Islam...

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    sacred_rose's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

is the beard obligatory and why wats the purpose of it anyway

also why do men who have strong imam have noor there are so beautiful mashallah i find them more attractive than men with no noor btw am i allowed to say stuff like this
    soz if i offended anyone

thanks
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sacred_rose View Post
    is the beard obligatory and why wats the purpose of it anyway

also why do men who have strong imam have noor there are so beautiful mashallah i find them more attractive than men with no noor btw am i allowed to say stuff like this
    soz if i offended anyone

thanks
    'noor'? do you mean 'light'?

chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wilberhum and snakelegs i think you totally missed the point, which was the MORAL of the story not the story it self... i very much doubt it is real as well (as if a kafir can come back with a response like that lol) but seriously who cares

and the moral isnt that the west hates muslims either, its about putting this life before pleasing God..

i understood the MORAL of the story, but i think it would be much better if the story itself sounded more like something that could've actually happened.
    just my opinion.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Shaving your beard to get a job.
    chat Quote

Curaezipirid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

alaikumassalam

well I reckon it could have happened

but then I reckon that hair is the way to experiment with Allah's rulings for us, if anybody is so inclined

I mean if we are feeling testy then better rebel with our own hair than any other way; at least there is no denial then

mu'asalam

Within the Realm of King Solomon
    Who could have known I was home grown
    An accuser's false allegation
    Did warrant only my Nation
    in apology for inconveniences
    its shaytan leeches
    who accuse
    my unconscious sleep
    of accusing you too cheep
    I will be selling for five times three
    centsiblity
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    i understood the MORAL of the story, but i think it would be much better if the story itself sounded more like something that could've actually happened.
    just my opinion.
    lol i strongly agree

wwwislamicboardcom - Shaving your beard to get a job.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"
    [BANANA]ReSpEcT!!![/BANANA]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I didn't miss the point at all. It was quite clear and understandable. It is also quite clear that it is presented as a true story and it is understandable that it is a fabrication.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Alaikumassalam,

I heard the same story about a foreigner in Canada whom could not get work because he would not go out drinking with work buddies after an interview. Eventually he offered to, or did, and then was not hired for breaking with his own belief that it is best not to drink.

The beard obviously has nothing to do with the story. It is one of those urban myths that people believe in without believing in, or suppose that is not true so as to benefit by the lesson of. Usually they turn out to be repeatedy true but in slightly varying form to that in which first revealed.

wasalam

its shaytan leeches
    who accuse
    my unconscious sleep
    centsiblity
    chat Quote

SHAH G's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Talking Re: Shaving your beard to get a job.

i really don't get it how can you shave your beard for jus a job man i was about 15 wen my beard stared to grow and i was 15 wen i went to different secondery skool wen i was there first time people thought i was 18 or 19 still now some guys still think i'm old cos my beard is now full fist length i'm 17 i have braces and i'm 6ft tall i have to wait for time to pass or lie about my age LOL anyway i lived through hard stuff people lookin at me but cos everybody no me they no i'm cool some people think i'm sufi but i aint have alot of weakness like listen to music,watchin movies and talkin to gals but still i keep abeard Ahle bait and the sahaba gave ther life to protect the sunnah nobody should be afraid of keepin a beard the beard is sign of a muslim and if sikh don't give crap what people think of his beard why should we
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Alaikumassalam,

true there I had not meant that the bearded version of the story is of any less consequence to the non-alcohol drinker version: but it is informative that the story has another version, but from the same location

Here is a story about getting a job with a beard. My uncle, my mother's brother, when he was fourteen already needed to shave when he shaved, and he used to wag school (absenteeism from school is called wagging in Australia, but I can't get that except that it is connected to a dog's tail; but my uncle ain't no dog) from quite young since he could get about the place without being detected as young enough to need to be at school. So then by the time my Nana found out that he was not attending school much he had received a blasters certificate and had a job in a coal mine. But here is the good part: he went on working in mines for quite a long time, and then he modified a piece of mining machinery, and air compressor, so that it worked better in Australian conditions of dry heat. Then the company which manufactured the air compressors used his modification in their production and employed him to travel around the world teaching how to use the modification. Then he got work as a caterpillar mining machinery salesman on a commission, and they could not pay him the commission in cash since he was selling too much, so they paid him in shares in the company. Then just before the stock market crashed in the 1980's he had a sudden premonition about the money and sold all his shares. Now he owns a training company that trains folk to work in the mining industry.

I reckon that such a beard at seventeen is worth a good story.

mu'asalam

its shaytan leeches
    who accuse
    my unconscious sleep
    centsiblity
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Ummah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman View Post
    By him shaving his beard, it means he put the job above Allah. If anything, he's more faithful for that job than Allah.

Kidman
    Asalaamualaikum

agree with u 100%

"So after the truth, what else can there be, save error?" [Quran 10:32]
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Shaving your beard to get a job. Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Shaving your beard to get a job.