× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 35 visibility 3843

Why I’m Banned in the USA

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

[PIE]WASHINGTON POST

Monday 2 October 2006, by Tariq Ramadan

For more than two years now, the U.S. government has barred me from entering the United States to pursue an academic career. The reasons have changed over time, and have evolved from defamatory to absurd, but the effect has remained the same: I’ve been kept out.

First, I was told that I could not enter the country because I had endorsed terrorism and violated the USA Patriot Act. It took a lawsuit for the government eventually to abandon this baseless accusation. Later, I reapplied for a visa, twice, only to hear nothing for more than a year. Finally, just 10 days ago, after a federal judge forced the State Department to reconsider my application, U.S. authorities offered a new rationale for turning me away: Between 1998 and 2002, I had contributed small sums of money to a French charity supporting humanitarian work in the Palestinian territories.

I am increasingly convinced that the Bush administration has barred me for a much simpler reason: It doesn’t care for my political views. In recent years, I have publicly criticized U.S. policy in the Middle East, the war in Iraq, the use of torture, secret CIA prisons and other government actions that undermine fundamental civil liberties. And for many years, through my research and writing and speeches, I have called upon Muslims to better understand the principles of their own faith, and have sought to show that one can be Muslim and Western at the same time.

My experience reveals how U.S. authorities seek to suppress dissenting voices and — by excluding people such as me from their country — manipulate political debate in America. Unfortunately, the U.S. government’s paranoia has evolved far beyond a fear of particular individuals and taken on a much more insidious form: the fear of ideas.

In January 2004, I was offered a job at the University of Notre Dame, as a professor of Islamic studies and as Luce professor of religion, conflict and peace-building. I accepted the tenured position enthusiastically and looked forward to joining the academic community in the United States. After the government granted me a work visa, I rented a home in South Bend, Ind., enrolled my children in school there and shipped all of my household belongings. Then, in July, the government notified me that my visa had been revoked. It did not offer a specific explanation, but pointed to a provision of the Patriot Act that applies to people who have "endorsed or espoused" terrorist activity.

The revocation shocked me. I had consistently opposed terrorism in all of its forms, and still do. And, before 2004, I had visited the United States frequently to lecture, attend conferences and meet with other scholars. I had been an invited speaker at conferences or lectures sponsored by Harvard University, Stanford, Princeton and the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Foundation. None of these institutions seemed to consider me a threat to national security.

The U.S. government invited me to apply for a new visa and, with Notre Dame’s help, I did so in October 2004. But after three months passed without a response, I felt I had little choice but to give up my new position and resume my life in Europe. Even so, I never abandoned the effort to clear my name. At the urging of American academic and civic groups, I reapplied for a visa one last time in September 2005, hoping that the government would retract its accusation. Once again, I encountered only silence.

Finally, in January, the American Civil Liberties Union, the American Academy of Religion, the American Association of University Professors and PEN American Center filed a lawsuit on my behalf, challenging the government’s actions. In court, the government’s lawyers admitted that they could establish no connection between me and any terrorist group; the government had merely taken a "prudential" measure by revoking my visa. Even then, the government maintained that the process of reconsidering my visa could take years. The federal court — which issued a ruling recognizing that I have been a vocal critic of terrorism — rejected the indefinite delay. In June, it ordered the government to grant me a visa or explain why it would not do so.

On Sept. 21, the long-awaited explanation arrived. The letter from the U.S. Embassy informed me that my visa application had been denied, and it put an end to the rumors that had circulated since my original visa was revoked. After a lengthy investigation, the State Department cited no evidence of suspicious relationships, no meetings with terrorists, no encouraging or advocacy of terrorism. Instead, the department cited my donation of $940 to two humanitarian organizations (a French group and its Swiss chapter) serving the Palestinian people. I should note that the investigation did not reveal these contributions. As the department acknowledges, I had brought this information to their attention myself, two years earlier, when I had reapplied for a visa.

In its letter, the U.S. Embassy claims that I "reasonably should have known" that the charities in question provided money to Hamas. But my donations were made between December 1998 and July 2002, and the United States did not blacklist the charities until 2003. How should I reasonably have known of their activities before the U.S. government itself knew? I donated to these organizations for the same reason that countless Europeans — and Americans, for that matter — donate to Palestinian causes: not to help fund terrorism, but because I wanted to provide humanitarian aid to people who desperately need it. Yet after two years of investigation, this was the only explanation offered for the denial of my visa. I still find it hard to believe.

What words do I utter and what views do I hold that are dangerous to American ears, so dangerous, in fact, that I should not be allowed to express them on U.S. soil?

I have called upon Western societies to be more open toward Muslims and to regard them as a source of richness, not just of violence or conflict. I have called upon Muslims in the West to reconcile and embrace both their Islamic and Western identities. I have called for the creation of a "New We" based on common citizenship within which Buddhists, Jews, Christians, Muslims and people with no religion can build a pluralistic society. And yes, I believe we all have a right to dissent, to criticize governments and protest undemocratic decisions. It is certainly legitimate for European Muslims and American Muslims to criticize their governments if they find them unjust — and I will continue to do so.

At the same time, I do not stop short of criticizing regimes from Muslim countries. Indeed, the United States is not the only country that rejects me; I am also barred from Tunisia, Saudi Arabia and even my native Egypt. Last month, after a few sentences in a speech by Pope Benedict XVI elicited protests and violence, I published an article noting how some governments in the Muslim world manipulate these imagined crises to suit their political agendas. "When the people are deprived of their basic rights and of their freedom of expression," I argued, "it costs nothing to allow them to vent their anger over Danish cartoons or the words of the Pontiff." I was immediately accused of appeasing the enemies of Islam, of being more Western than Muslim.

Today, I live and work in London. From my posts at Oxford University and the Lokahi Foundation, I try to promote cultural understanding and to prevent radicalization within Muslim communities here. Along with many British citizens, I have criticized the country’s new security laws and its support for the war in Iraq. Yet I have never been asked to remain silent as a condition to live or work here. I can express myself freely.

I fear that the United States has grown fearful of ideas. I have learned firsthand that the Bush administration reacts to its critics not by engaging them, but by stigmatizing and excluding them. Will foreign scholars be permitted to enter the United States only if they promise to mute their criticisms of U.S. policy? It saddens me to think of the effect this will have on the free exchange of ideas, on political debate within America, and on our ability to bridge differences across cultures.

Article published the 1st October in the Washington Post

[/PIE]

http://www.tariqramadan.com/article....le=799&lang=en

Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters
    Bs53AicCAAACVpFsmall - Why I’m Banned in the USA
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Why I’m Banned in the USA

So, the person is critical of Anmerica and is not an American citizen is not allowed into America!

Shock horror!
    chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah View Post
    [PIE]

I have called upon Muslims to better understand the principles of their own faith, and have sought to show that one can be Muslim and Western at the same time.

The revocation shocked me. I had consistently opposed terrorism in all of its forms, and still do.

I have been a vocal critic of terrorism

I have called upon Western societies to be more open toward Muslims and to regard them as a source of richness, not just of violence or conflict. I have called upon Muslims in the West to reconcile and embrace both their Islamic and Western identities. I have called for the creation of a "New We" based on common citizenship within which Buddhists, Jews, Christians, Muslims and people with no religion can build a pluralistic society.

I fear that the United States has grown fearful of ideas. I have learned firsthand that the Bush administration reacts to its critics not by engaging them, but by stigmatizing and excluding them. Will foreign scholars be permitted to enter the United States only if they promise to mute their criticisms of U.S. policy? It saddens me to think of the effect this will have on the free exchange of ideas, on political debate within America, and on our ability to bridge differences across cultures.

[/PIE]

http://www.tariqramadan.com/article....le=799&lang=en
    he is right - it's the ideas that do not suit the political agenda of the u.s.
    i think the u.s. does not want to listen to muslims who hold the ideas i've picked out from the article. there is a vested interest in keeping the people polarized - and the bin ladens, the type of muslims who went on the rampage in reaction to the muhammad cartoons - suit this purpose very well.
    muslims who believe that "one can be muslim and western at the same time" do not suit this political agenda.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Why I’m Banned in the USA
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    he is right - it's the ideas that do not suit the political agenda of the u.s.
    i think the u.s. does not want to listen to muslims who hold the ideas i've picked out from the article. there is a vested interest in keeping the people polarized - and the bin ladens, the type of muslims who went on the rampage in reaction to the muhammad cartoons - suit this purpose very well.
    muslims who believe that "one can be muslim and western at the same time" do not suit this political agenda.
    Thats true, The idea of muslims wanting coexist peacefully with people in the west is probably Bushs worst nightmare. Funny thing is he is barred from Tunisia, Saudi Arabia and even his native land Egypt.

[PIE]3 - Exacting Involvement

We are not born as spectators, whether we are here or elsewhere. Wherever they are, “those who believe and do good” are active. To act is first to understand the environment in which we live, assess the balances, determine the priorities and measure the constraints. Between the fear of getting lost and the imperative of reform lies our personal path to concretely “promote good and resist evil and injustice.”

It is not only about “integrating”, being “accepted”, “appreciated”, or even “liked” in Europe. The first step in affirming our identity with regard to our environment is to be simply respected. No more and, definitely, no less. Of course, we must also hope for and promote sincere recognition, friendship and mutual affection.

This is the first requirement and it determines the rest. We need to be respected, although in reality we are not and that is probably because we do not know how to demand respect or, even worse, because we are not worthy of it. This is exactly where we need to get involved - to be recognized for whom we are - citizens, Muslims, sure about ourselves and aware of our rights.

This prerequisite enables us to strengthen our involvement in social, educational, economic, political, academic and cultural spheres. Our presence and contribution can only be done as active citizens, in the light of our ethical consciousness - in our daily lives fostering solidarity with men and women of goodwill, reforming our present state, building our future and revisiting the past and our collective memory. This is what our involvement entails and it is no small task.
    [/PIE]

full article here from same guy:
    http://www.tariqramadan.com/article....le=624&lang=en

The Great Dive
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    So, the person is critical of Anmerica and is not an American citizen is not allowed into America!

Shock horror!
    Well put!
    Since when does any foreigner have any right to enter another country?
    Entry into any country is a privilege, not a right.
    Why would any country allow anyone who is critical of them to enter?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why would they want to come here and have anything to do with us Kaffirs anyway? Why not go to the university of Tehran?
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Why I’m Banned in the USA

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    Well put!

I'm a citizen of the world, I should be able to go where I please!

wwwislamicboardcom - Why I’m Banned in the USA
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

I'm a citizen of the world, I should be able to go where I please!
    I would like to see your passport.
    You can make any statemnt you like, that does not make it true.
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In respone to
    format_quote Originally Posted by Joe89

Shock horror
    and
    Well put!
    America was formed by foreigners (Members of the Irish variety if my memory serves correct, after pushing the natives off their land). To deny any "foreigners" access to the grand ol' US of A would go against what America stands for. It'd also be something else, but due to the fact my posts have to be G - rated, i'm not allowed to say it.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    akulion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The answer should simply have been: cos we dont wana let u in bye

lol
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Why I’m Banned in the USA

I would like to see your passport.
    You can make any statemnt you like, that does not make it true.

If I had a passport...

wwwislamicboardcom - Why I’m Banned in the USA
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post

In respone to
    and
    America was formed by foreigners (Members of the Irish variety if my memory serves correct, after pushing the natives off their land). To deny any "foreigners" access to the grand ol' US of A would go against what America stands for. It'd also be something else, but due to the fact my posts have to be G - rated, i'm not allowed to say it.
    Your memory serves you correctly but it is historical. Life has changed. We no longer allow anyone in. (Except accross the Southern Border :grumbling )
    America no longer says "Give me your tired..............
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well put!
    It is a privelage which has been provided by Notre dame university. If you read the article you will find they went at lengths, failed to give evidence/valid reason for not letting him enter. Then they said "OMG HE DONATED $600 TO A CHARITY IN PALESTINE! WHAT AN INSENSITIVE *bleep*" . Case closed!

Snakelegs got in the mark with wht he said.

The Great Dive
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is a privelage which has been provided by Notre dame university.
    When did Notre Dame become in charge of issueing Visas?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Your memory serves you correctly but it is historical. Life has changed. We no longer allow anyone in. (Except accross the Southern Border :grumbling )
    America no longer says "Give me your tired..............
    So don't you find that a bit unfair? I mean, given the very fact that america was established by foreigners it now no longer allows them in?

I rarely ever use this particular term (it is often overused in my opinion) but i'm offered little choice: "double standards" anyone?

I'm sorry but I honestly cannot understand this political bull crap sometimes.
    Last edited by aamirsaab; 10-03-2006 at 05:20 PM.

Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So don't you find that a bit...well a bit unfair? I mean, given the very fact that america was established by foreigners it now no longer allows them in?

I rarely ever use this particular term (it is often overused in my opinion) but i'm offered little choice: "double standards" anyone?
    Unfair? Maybe! I would have to see both sides of the arguement to make that decision. No longer allows them in? Thousands come every day.
    chat Quote

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by akulion View Post
    The answer should simply have been: cos we dont wana let u in bye

lol
    ys...nut the thing is that he says that he criticizes the government n stuff like that and that he will keep on doin so...but that is not the example the prophet (saw) gave up

*sigh*

we make peace through peace not through violence

chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When did Notre Dame become in charge of issueing Visas?
    In UK if you have a shortage of skill in an area the citizens in UK (who work, pay tax, keep econony going etc) have the right to look at other countries for that "special someone" to do their work. I thought it is the same in America...

The Great Dive
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Unfair? Maybe! I would have to see both sides of the arguement to make that decision
    I would have used a much stronger word, but as stated before G - rated posts only.

No longer allows them in? Thousands come every day.
    Yet prior to this you stated
    We no longer allow anyone in
    Additionally, if they are allowed in, why is Tariq Ramadan not?

I hesitate to reiterate my previous statement: "double standards"

Mosque-a-mania!
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yet prior to this you stated .
    Additionally, if they are allowed in, why is Tariq Ramadan not?
    Anyone is not noone. Why not Tariq Ramadan? As I said, I would need to see the other side of the story.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Why I’m Banned in the USA Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Why I’m Banned in the USA