× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 23 visibility 2761

U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes

Dahir's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Board Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Exclamation U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes

Report bad ads?

CNN

The United States vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution Saturday that would have condemned Israel for its military operations in Gaza.

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton said the resolution, which also called for Israel to cease military operations immediately in the Palestinian territory, was "biased against Israel and politically motivated."

Qatar proposed the motion, which focused on Wednesday's shelling in the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun that killed 18 people, mostly women and children.
    The blocked resolution also condemned Palestinians who fire missiles from Gaza into Israel.

Bolton said the resolution's text was "unbalanced."

"We are disturbed at the language of the resolution that is in many places biased against Israel and politically motivated," Bolton said. "Such language does not further the cause of peace and its unacceptability to the United States in previous resolutions is well known."

Bolton said the text was wrong in equating what he called Israel's legal defense operations in Gaza with Palestinian acts of terrorism against civilians in Israel.

"We are disturbed that there is not a single reference to terrorism in the proposed resolution, nor any condemnation of the Hamas leadership's statement that Palestinians should resume terror attacks on a broad scale, or calls by the military wing of Hamas to Muslims worldwide to strike American targets and interests," he said.
    Last edited by Dahir; 11-13-2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Sensationalism is not necessary

"This world is a blank price tag, and whatever value you put on it, is what its worth to you. I have made this world priceless and worthless, so therefore I have placed my value in the afterlife."

An Original Quote from Dahir
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Tayyib musawwir's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes

Assalammu Alaikum Dahir Brotha Whats Up Are You Somali African American How Long Yourselfs Has Been On This Board I Also Live Minneaoplis Very Cold City Did Ramadan Go Aight It Went Find For Me Take Care Peace
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What's the point of having a UN if the US can overrule it at seemingly every oppurtunity?

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post

What's the point of having a UN if the US can overrule it at seemingly every oppurtunity?

Any country on the security council can veto a resolution, not just the US
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There are many reasons why the U.S. vetoes many of these "condemnation" of Isreal "resolutions". The primary reason is the countries that introduce it. Another reason is the hypocrisy, from the U.S. and Israeli standpoint, that the U.N. is willing to condemn Israel for aggressive military action but will not condemn Hamas and the Palestinians who are constantly firing rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel. One of those rockets killed an elderly woman today. These condemnations aren't coming from a honest perspective, from the U.S. and Israeli standpoint. Condemnation of Israel from the U.S. comes from telephone calls, not U.N. statements. That is just the nature of the relationship.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Board Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What I don't understand is why the US gives an arm and a leg to veto bills for a foreign nation most Americans aren't aware even exists!

Maybe a Democratic sweep will keep American interests and veto power at home.

:confused:

"This world is a blank price tag, and whatever value you put on it, is what its worth to you. I have made this world priceless and worthless, so therefore I have placed my value in the afterlife."

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir View Post
    What I don't understand is why the US gives an arm and a leg to veto bills for a foreign nation most Americans aren't aware even exists!

Maybe a Democratic sweep will keep American interests and veto power at home.

:confused:
    What nation are you referring to? Israel? I would say the majority of Americans know quite well who and what Israel is. I also wouldn't expect any difference in terms of U.S./Israel relations due to a Democratic "sweep". As a rule, Democratic administrations have been just as supportive of Israel as Republican ones.
    chat Quote

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    Any country on the security council can veto a resolution, not just the US
    Not all country ... only USA, France, UK, Russia and China.

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

Islamicboy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    There are many reasons why the U.S. vetoes many of these "condemnation" of Isreal "resolutions". The primary reason is the countries that introduce it. Another reason is the hypocrisy, from the U.S. and Israeli standpoint, that the U.N. is willing to condemn Israel for aggressive military action but will not condemn Hamas and the Palestinians who are constantly firing rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel. One of those rockets killed an elderly woman today. These condemnations aren't coming from a honest perspective, from the U.S. and Israeli standpoint. Condemnation of Israel from the U.S. comes from telephone calls, not U.N. statements. That is just the nature of the relationship.
    Before those rockets had killed the elderly women. Israel had attacked and killed 17 innocent civilians in palestinian its normal for a government to retaliate back. Israel missiles are guided Hamas rocket attacks are ramdom. hamas doesnt have the best of weapons. I realized cnn does the samething the 17 that were killed by israel was not mentioned. But one israeli solider getting wounded made big news. Interesting! eh!
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Conclusion:

"You kill us, we kill you, and then you kill us, and we kill you, you kill us, we kill you, you kill us, we kill you, we kill you, you kill us .... like FOREVER..."

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy View Post
    Before those rockets had killed the elderly women. Israel had attacked and killed 17 innocent civilians in palestinian its normal for a government to retaliate back. Israel missiles are guided Hamas rocket attacks are ramdom. hamas doesnt have the best of weapons. I realized cnn does the samething the 17 that were killed by israel was not mentioned. But one israeli solider getting wounded made big news. Interesting! eh!
    Actually that is incorrect. The 17 civilian deaths got alot of coverage in the U.S. media. However, that isn't the point. I suppose whatever media you read or watch failed to mention that Hamas has been firing rockets into Israel almost constantly since the Gaza Strip settlements were abandoned? This isn't about the evil Jews attacking civilians and the noble Hamas retaliating. That was the problem with the resolution proposed by certain members of the U.N. General Assembly. Hamas can run around firing rockets into Israel all day long and there is nothing in the way of condemnation.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Board Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wink Re: U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    What nation are you referring to? Israel? I would say the majority of Americans know quite well who and what Israel is. I also wouldn't expect any difference in terms of U.S./Israel relations due to a Democratic "sweep". As a rule, Democratic administrations have been just as supportive of Israel as Republican ones.
    I must admit, you have a point there. Even Nancy Pelosi told AIPAC that Israel came first -- in HER own words.

Now, there's nothing wrong with caring about an ally, but to what end is it obsessive and damaging to both sides?

A mother can love, but a mother's nurturing can also damage her own children...

chat Quote

IzakHalevas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Now, there's nothing wrong with caring about an ally, but to what end is it obsessive and damaging to both sides?
    Is it unreasonable for the USA to ask for a condemnation that is fitting by condemning both sides of the fight instead of one, way more than the other? Is that not perfectly reasonable?

משה בן מימון
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I must admit, you have a point there. Even Nancy Pelosi told AIPAC that Israel came first -- in HER own words.

A mother can love, but a mother's nurturing can also damage her own children...
    I'm sure the conspiracy theorists would point to the all-powerful Jewish lobby in the U.S. The truth is that support for Israel is an almost knee-jerk reaction to American politicians. It is a democratic nation partly created with the help of Harry Truman, the birthplace of Christ, a long time ally in the Cold War, etc. Not to mention the protective nature of the U.S. relationship with Jews since WWII.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Board Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas View Post
    Is it unreasonable for the USA to ask for a condemnation that is fitting by condemning both sides of the fight instead of one, way more than the other? Is that not perfectly reasonable?
    Well, that's the problem. The UN Resolution called for both sides to put down arms, but condemned Israel for extreme action -- after all, 18 people is a bit of a stretch for a midnight operation!

I'm sure the conspiracy theorists would point to the all-powerful Jewish lobby in the U.S. The truth is that support for Israel is an almost knee-jerk reaction to American politicians. It is a democratic nation partly created with the help of Harry Truman, the birthplace of Christ, a long time ally in the Cold War, etc. Not to mention the protective nature of the U.S. relationship with Jews since WWII.
    I'm not being a conspiracy theorist -- those were Pelosi's words, not mine.

And I do understand and know very well of the protective WW2 relationship the USA had with Jews...but how long does the mother take care of her son before he walks on his own?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I]but how long does the mother take care of her son before he walks on his own?[/I]
    How many mothers would neglect their sons... Mothers are protective... as long as Mother USA exist she'll take care of her son, Israel

chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post
    How many mothers would neglect their sons... Mothers are protective... as long as Mother USA exist she'll take care of her son, Israel
    And keep smacking (or in this case, bombing) palestine, the 'ugly' duckling.

format_quote Originally Posted by keltoi
    Another reason is the hypocrisy, from the U.S. and Israeli standpoint, that the U.N. is willing to condemn Israel for aggressive military action but will not condemn Hamas and the Palestinians who are constantly firing rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel.
    Hypocrisy from the US and Isralie standpoint is this: "I do what the hell I like, be it bomb the crap out of you and your people or invade your land randomnly. You so much as express anger or annoyance, we call you a terrorist and blast you to kingdom come."

One of those rockets killed an elderly woman today
    All civilian deaths are bad, no matter their race, creed or colour.

format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
    The thing is, USA isn't condemning both sides (the very fact that they vetoed the UN's resolution indicates this very clearly!), it's condemning palestine. Again, as Dahir stated, nothing wrong in supporting an ally, but how can that ally complain of hypocrisy when it is doing the same actions (if not worse) as it's enemy? That's hypocrisy right there.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

ashara's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i wonder if this is why they are insisting on HAMAS accepting the sovereign nation of 'israeal'? after all, maps show 'Israel' now. US backs it as a nation. as do many other countries. if HAMAS accepts their 'neighbour' then it makes it more justifiable to vilify palastenians as any military action from any palestian government will be 'officially' an act of war and they can never 'reclaim' their lost land.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

And keep smacking (or in this case, bombing) palestine, the 'ugly' duckling.

Hypocrisy from the US and Isralie standpoint is this: "I do what the hell I like, be it bomb the crap out of you and your people or invade your land randomnly. You so much as express anger or annoyance, we call you a terrorist and blast you to kingdom come."

All civilian deaths are bad, no matter their race, creed or colour.

The thing is, USA isn't condemning both sides (the very fact that they vetoed the UN's resolution indicates this very clearly!), it's condemning palestine. Again, as Dahir stated, nothing wrong in supporting an ally, but how can that ally complain of hypocrisy when it is doing the same actions (if not worse) as it's enemy? That's hypocrisy right there.
    From the U.S. and Israeli standpoint, Hamas can fire rockets into Israel all day long, but when Israel retaliates they are condemned by the U.N. That is the hypocrisy that they feel is being represented in the proposed condemnation. Yes, all civilian deaths are bad, I don't remember saying they weren't. My point is that Isreal has just as much right to protect its citizens as anyone else. If some group was firing rockets from Mexico into south Texas, the U.S. government would respond accordingly. While mistakes are made on the battlefield, at least the Isreali munitions are fired with a particular target in mind in the vast majority of cases.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ashara View Post
    i wonder if this is why they are insisting on HAMAS accepting the sovereign nation of 'israeal'? after all, maps show 'Israel' now. US backs it as a nation. as do many other countries. if HAMAS accepts their 'neighbour' then it makes it more justifiable to vilify palastenians as any military action from any palestian government will be 'officially' an act of war and they can never 'reclaim' their lost land.
    Israel isn't going anywhere. The reason that most countries have refused to continue economic aid packages to the Palestinian government is because Hamas refuses to accept Israel. How can you negotiate or live side by side with a government whose ideology involves your destruction? The reality is exactly the opposite of your assertion. As long as Hamas refuses to acknowledge Israel's right to exist, then Israel has the political will to continue to strike at their enemies who continue to strike at them. If Hamas wanted peace it wouldn't be hard to obtain.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. U.S. vetoes U.N. condemnation of Israel's Gaza strikes