× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 70 visibility 8734

Iz it coz I is white!?

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Iz it coz I is white!?

Report bad ads?

I know that it is recommended to wear a cap or kufi as a sign of Islam. But a few days ago I walked down the street in one, and nobody recognised that I was Muslim, not even other Muslims. People just thought I was wearing a weird hat. I think it comes down to this: I'm white, so nobody thinks of me as Muslim.
    I can't change my name properly, I'm not allowed to wear Islamic clothes and having an Islamic cap on my head doesn't make any difference. Is there anything I can do to be identified as a Muslim?
    Iz it coz I is white!?

wwwislamicboardcom - Iz it coz I is white!?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Iz it coz I is white!?

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

I know that it is recommended to wear a cap or kufi as a sign of Islam. But a few days ago I walked down the street in one, and nobody recognised that I was Muslim, not even other Muslims. People just thought I was wearing a weird hat. I think it comes down to this: I'm white, so nobody thinks of me as Muslim.
    I can't change my name properly, I'm not allowed to wear Islamic clothes and having an Islamic cap on my head doesn't make any difference. Is there anything I can do to be identified as a Muslim?
    Wear an Arab dress?:confused:
    Iz it coz I is white!?

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Iz it coz I is white!?

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post
    Wear an Arab dress?:confused:

As I said, my parents won't let me, except for on Eid. I think that they are going to force me to be vegetarian as well, since they won't buy halal meat, and nothing will convice them that it is a humane method of slaughter unless they strap 'brain measurers' to the animals themselves.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

F.Y.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you came to Oz, I'd see you and think 'Hey! Muslim brother! Yay!' - maybe it's just a cultural thing.

You could:
    Draw a thick black beard with black eyeliner onto your face
    Wear those funny shirts that have Islamic messages
    Wear a jubbah - long shirt thingie.....
    Walk around saying Salam to everyone, loudly and clearly and make sure you smile

Just not care that they havent recognised you as Muslim - you know, Allah knows - and if you say salam to others, I'm sure they'll catch on too!

Peace
    Iz it coz I is white!?

“Verily passion turns kings into slaves, and patience turns slaves into kings…Do you not see the story of Yusuf and Zulaykha?”
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Grow a beard? I'm not sure of your age though.
    chat Quote

zanjabeela's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    just the disappearer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How about a beard to go with the kufi? You should look like a Syrian Arab then...I am guessing...good luck!
    Iz it coz I is white!?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    hopscotchiq2 1 - Iz it coz I is white!?
    But at least the wub is back.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Grow a beard? I'm not sure of your age though.

I am growing a beard. But it is almost invisible unless you look really close.

Wear those funny shirts that have Islamic messages
    Wear a jubbah - long shirt thingie.....
    Walk around saying Salam to everyone, loudly and clearly and make sure you smile

Just not care that they havent recognised you as Muslim - you know, Allah knows - and if you say salam to others, I'm sure they'll catch on too!

The problem is that if I say salam to people I don't know they think that I'm just a youth who wants to make fun of them by pretending to be Muslim. Loads of people do that to me at school.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i agree with sis F.Y

you can start by giving salam to the muslims
    Iz it coz I is white!?

heart 1 - Iz it coz I is white!?

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla View Post
    i agree with sis F.Y

you can start by giving salam to the muslims

As I said before, people who don't know I'm Muslim think I'm an imposter if I give salams to them. I want to do something to stop this happening, but the problem is that I can't do anything about it.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

try giving a sincere smile...i'm sure they know you are not an imposter....

if they don't believe you...go to the other person. I'm sure there will be one person who believes you.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

Abu Ibraheem's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam

the great distinguisher, if you can practice this, as the Prophet pbuh commanded: "Oppose the mushriks, trim the mostache and grow the beard."
    Iz it coz I is white!?

A person with personal hatred in the heart will argue, however the one who questions his sincerity will reason.
    chat Quote

F.Y.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Say hello first then, stop for a quick chat and say 'i became Muslim X months ago. How are you brother?'
    Ok then see you around, 'Assalamualaikum!'.

Maybe....

If they think you mock, let them. You be sincere. They should catch on sooner or later.
    If they think you're weird, dont worry mate. You know you're muslim and Allah knows - no worries
    Iz it coz I is white!?

“Verily passion turns kings into slaves, and patience turns slaves into kings…Do you not see the story of Yusuf and Zulaykha?”
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem View Post
    Salam

the great distinguisher, if you can practice this, as the Prophet pbuh commanded: "Oppose the mushriks, trim the mostache and grow the beard."

First of all, loads of non-Muslims have beards these days. On it's own a beard is not very useful.
    secondly, I'm too young to have a beard, all I've got is a few small tufts of hair on my chin.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem View Post
    Salam

he is only 15...i doubt he has mostache and beard
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla View Post
    he is only 15...i doubt he has mostache and beard

I do actually have a moustache, but it's not a proper one yet, just a lot of small, dark hairs on my chin. It's too small to trim, and unfortunately a bit of it keeps getting in the corner of my mouth.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

Mateen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalam-o-alaikum,

Apart from dress code you can also welcome anyone you meet with the Islamic greeting Assalam-o-alaikum.{Tell them its means Peace Be on You}

Also why would you want everyone on the street to know that you are a Muslim? Remember you are a muslim for yourself. Just behave the best way a muslim can. Help those in need whenever you can, go to mosque 5 times a day. Impress others that Islam is not only a religion but a way of life far better than any religion. With time you will be respected for being a Muslim.

Wassalam.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mateen View Post

Also why would you want everyone on the street to know that you are a Muslim?
    Wassalam.

Because the Prophet (pbuh) commanded us to do things to identify ourselves as Muslims, like grow the beard. It may not be the most important of rules, but it is still a commandment.
    Iz it coz I is white!?

chat Quote

julie sarri's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

brother i'm a white revert sister who wears the hijab and at frist i used to get upset that sisters dont say asalam to me and they can see that i am wearing hijab. then i thought the most importent thing is that allah swt know that i am a muslim and that i follow the quran and sunnah and that is more importent the older you get brother your beard will grow inshaallah.now when i am in the street and i see a sister i smile frist like every ones been saying some times they smile back some times i get asalam some times nothing but even if you get nothing allah swt know your intention to say it.as for going vegetarian i did when i go to see my mum she has vegetarian food for me.she dosent understand about halal but when i am at home i eat halal i know its hard right now but inshaallah as time passis by they will inshaallah start to understand a bit better about islam my mum has learned a lot about it since i reverted my mum said to me once cant you wera a wig instead of hijab its the same thing it covers your hair i just looked at her and walked away i had to laugh but she is soooooooooo much better now alhamdulillah
    chat Quote

YusufNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu

greetings little Bro!

i MAY be able to assist you on this!

first of all, DO NOT just say "Salaam Alykum". why, cuz almost anybody knows this phrase. make sure you say AT LEAST "Assalamu Alaykum"; because it's more proper and they MIGHT get the hint. BETTER to say "Assalamu alaykum wa'rahma-tullahi, wa'barakatahu"! cuz now they will have to pause to think "wait, he said that right. maybe he IS a brother!"

try to catch their eye before speaking. if they are looking at you, bring your right hand over your heart and then raise it as a greeting.

if that don't work, simply add "Alhumdulillah, nice to see you today" make sure your hand is over your heart when you say "Alhumdulillah"

and shave the mustache off completely. i don't care if it makes you feel older. learn Seerah, follow Seerah. like once a month, lose it completely. i used to just trim mine, alot-but just a trim, i started eliminating it completely and just shortly afterwards a Sister DID say that it was my face that told her i was a Muslim!!

but seriously, learn Seerah, follow Seerah! the more you know about the Rasoolulah (pbuh), the more you will 1) love him, 2) think like him, 3) behave like him. this will assist you greatly in having folks recognize you.

you're in school right? you have a backpack? get a long shirt or a thobe and keep it in there at home. put it on outside your house!

may Allah(SWT) strengthen you and help your Iman to grow and may HE cause those around you to recognize your attributes as well as your identity!

i have other ideas if your interested.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    DigitalStorm82's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

Hope you're doing well and in a good state of Imaan... your question itself is a good indication of your heart. Continue to travel in the righteous path...

Bro, when you come across a muslim, it is your duty to say salaam. It is a sin upon someone who doesn't return your salaam... This is one your rights as a muslim. Alhumdulillah you fulfill your duty and inshallah others will learn to do the same...

My only advice for you is to not concern yourself with this matter too much. With time... people will learn that you are a muslim.

But if you feel you should be known now... then all you have to do is ask them a simple question... Asalaamu Alaikum... "I'm a new revert.... and Im... blah blah blah" Basically, this will let them know that you're seeking knowledge and trying to expand your muslim network... and Inshallah they will accept you as a muslim and see you as a muslim and not as an "imposter."

Lastly, people may recognize you as a muslim but they just don't say anything. Some people just keep their business to themselves and go about doing whatever they were doing.... you could say "introverts" or shy.

With time your appearance will change... as you mentioned your growing your beard... don't worry about it too much. You'll be fine, inshallah.

May Allah increase you in Imaan and continue to walk in the path of Allah.

W'salaamz,
    Hamid
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Iz it coz I is white!? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Iz it coz I is white!?