× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 50 visibility 13282

Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Salam,
    Is it just me or are cartoons a bad influence on kids? Who'd have imagined a bit of sponge with square pants can worry a mother a mother of an 8 year old son. But it did!

I was watching the cartoon with my son and Spongebob's mate Patrick aka Patricia dressed as a girl went to the CrustyCrab. All the males went wild. I mean Squidwid and the others were all fighting for his (her) attention just because he'd donned a short skirt and a bit of lippy. I was like oh ow..this can't be good for my son - right? I'm petrifieddd.... I was thinking is this somehow teaching my son that this is how men should react when they see sucha female? I know they're only fish* but still? :confused:

Hmmm... I dunno.. might sound silly, but could kids be influenced by things like this at this age?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?

It has been stated quite a few times in the past that Spongebob is depicted as a homosexual. This has never been confirmed, but I suppose it is better to avoid it. Better to avoid a lot of television programs
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What?? You serious???

And as far as avoiding is concerned.. we should ban TV altogether. What's to be gained from it? It's just a waste of time. And staring at the opposite gender... is def haram. Not forgetting to mention half-naked actors of the same sex.

I know someone's gonna say it's ok if we watch islamic programmes but even then we're looking at the opposite gender. We can read books and listen to audios instead. Agree?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I certainly agree with you sister. Time can be better spent.

And to return on your first answer: yes really. It even appeared in newspapers that Spongebob had a lot of homosexual characteristics in his behaviour. Even here in Belgium (not very pro-"Islamic ideas" to say the least) they discussed whether it wasn't a bad influence to let children watch it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Spongebob Squarepants is an innocent cartoon whose writers have a crazy and surreal sense of humour. I've seen it and found it hilarious. If parents would rather their kids don't watch it, that's fine - but I don't think it's promoting homosexuality or anything like that.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We non-muslims don't lower our gaze. We don't follow Islam and neither does the author of spongebob squarepants. This isn't an Islamic ruled world. Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work. If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
    chat Quote

Dahir's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Board Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wink Re: Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?

This is a hot topic, so I'll dish out my two cents:

Some people on this board may tell you that you should just let your kids watch, say, and do anything that strikes their young, so-called 'innocent' minds, and that they won't go far astray as some say...but that's a lie.

I've witnessed two households, mine and my uncle's.

My parents are very laid back and uber-liberal if you'd say, and my siblings and I have turned out fine -- all but the fact that we've nearly excluded our parents from our lives; sometimes its tough thinking that our parents have influence, especially the lack they've been showing in our early years.

My uncle's household is very tight-knit and ultra-conservative, so his kids reflect his every move and they are scholars those in their 20s and are extremely pious -- the least I can say for some of my siblings.

You see, its not just SpongeBob that a lesson should be learned, but the level of control you should have over your children's lives.

Don't listen to others, TAKE CONTROL!

*sorry for my rant, but I'm an expert observer of random socialogical happenings*

...apologies given...

"This world is a blank price tag, and whatever value you put on it, is what its worth to you. I have made this world priceless and worthless, so therefore I have placed my value in the afterlife."

An Original Quote from Dahir
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis View Post
    And as far as avoiding is concerned.. we should ban TV altogether. What's to be gained from it? It's just a waste of time. And staring at the opposite gender... is def haram. Not forgetting to mention half-naked actors of the same sex.

That is very true when it comes to adults, but for little kids, are allowed to have fun and stuff. They wouldnt understand if we banned tv altogther for them. If it worries you, you can watch the shows before your son does and then only let him watch the ones you think are decent (I guess you can tape them off tv and watch it first or something). But that can be a huge hassle I guess.

If you are correct to be worried. When something indecent like that comes up, you should be sure to point it out to your son that this is unislamic behaviour.

I know someone's gonna say it's ok if we watch islamic programmes but even then we're looking at the opposite gender. We can read books and listen to audios instead. Agree?
    lol sis we dont have to look at the tv when theres a male on their talking.

wwwislamicboardcom - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?
    chat Quote

Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis View Post
    Salam,
    Is it just me or are cartoons a bad influence on kids? Who'd have imagined a bit of sponge with square pants can worry a mother a mother of an 8 year old son. But it did!

I was watching the cartoon with my son and Spongebob's mate Patrick aka Patricia dressed as a girl went to the CrustyCrab. All the males went wild. I mean Squidwid and the others were all fighting for his (her) attention just because he'd donned a short skirt and a bit of lippy. I was like oh ow..this can't be good for my son - right? I'm petrifieddd.... I was thinking is this somehow teaching my son that this is how men should react when they see sucha female? I know they're only fish* but still? :confused:

Hmmm... I dunno.. might sound silly, but could kids be influenced by things like this at this age?
    If you ask me are people affected by the what they come in contact with be it observation or interaction. Well yes we are, and it can shape individual, that will differ from individual to individual. All one can say it does have influence. It's call conditioning.
    We do it all it time even now! to ourselve.
    Sometime it is hard to come out from that condition later on when we do wan't to change ourselve.

So it matter's what is the right/correct/beneficial conditioning or that wrong/incorrect/harmful conditioning.
    Last edited by Skillganon; 12-09-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Advertisment:
    MY PERSONAL PAGE

wwwislamicboardcom - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly? atomicth4 1 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly? atomicth3 1 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?
    Atomic Bomb - Mushroom Cloud Cloud Blast from.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by England View Post
    ... If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
    It is not a bad advice but simply more to put it, don't watch certain programme's.

Advertisment:
    MY PERSONAL PAGE

wwwislamicboardcom - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly? atomicth4 1 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly? atomicth3 1 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?
    Atomic Bomb - Mushroom Cloud Cloud Blast from.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^Yeh I agree with skillganon. Kids are also affected heaps by observation. There have been many experiments to show this, specifically the one by Bandura, it shows very clearly how children can pick up aggression by observation.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work.
    Er speak for yourself. Many of us dont and we feel insulted when perverted men dont know how to keep their eyes to themselves.

chat Quote

lyesh's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As far as i know, it is bad influence on kids! yea... they do learn a lot! but they do learn a lot which are against Islam too! Insha Allah I will not let my child watch these things. I wud give him/her more islamic and useful things to do in sparetime! insha Allah.

lYeSh
    chat Quote

Rabiyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It has been stated quite a few times in the past that Spongebob is depicted as a homosexual.
    First thing it was not spongebob it was Barney.

Secondly, I am a mother of a 4 yr old daughter who use to watch Spongebob, I found the samething you did sis Muslimah, so what I did I changed the channel and let her watch Dora.

Now she's the one who changes the channel and doesn't like Spongebob.

We can't stop our kids from watching TV, tell you the truth, I think it's good for them. The reason being, my daughter learned her ABC, 123s, and all the small nursery rhymes from watching these shows like Dora and Barney. It helps me too, they teach them to clean up, Help others, play nicely, and she does that, and references Dora and Barney when talking to her little sisters.
    So I don't know how many of you are parents, But inshaAllah when the time comes for all of you then try putting Islam in EVERYTHING you do with them. I want my girls to be good Muslimahs and I want to teach them everything but in the quantity they can take in, and remember it. I read with them, play games with but I need my time to do other household chores too. and so then my "digital babysitter (tv)" comes into play, and now with the comfort of DVR it's made simple I just hit play and they can watch the show again and agian.

All you have to remember Sis is that if you don't like it then you don't have to explain yourself to your little boy, just change the channel. If something you think is not good for them it's just not good for them. They will learn to live with it and change their habbits. Which is easier now when they are young.
    So good luck, and May Allah bless your boy!!!

Rabiya
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    Er speak for yourself. Many of us dont and we feel insulted when perverted men dont know how to keep their eyes to themselves.
    Very well put!!!! you tell 'em sis
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Rabiyal View Post
    We can't stop our kids from watching TV, tell you the truth, I think it's good for them. The reason being, my daughter learned her ABC, 123s, and all the small nursery rhymes from watching these shows like Dora and Barney. It helps me too, they teach them to clean up, Help others, play nicely, and she does that, and references Dora and Barney when talking to her little sisters.

Mashaallah thats very true sis, the trick is making sure they are watching the right things, we dont want them to waste away infront of useless shows.

I wish we had some educational shows for kids made by Muslims! That would be excellent! Imagine, on top of learring their abc's, and 123's they could be learning Quran and supplications and stuff

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I know, I ordered Ary Digital, and we watch Iqra Half hour show together, and they like, cuz they get to wear my Hijab and they sit together and repeat as the Imam read. So that's good for them I think... I Hope they can just make it Local. So everyone can watch it.
    chat Quote

mano_the_cat's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    on the moon ...with a fish in the fishbowl ;)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

dear sis, have you tried baby tv. its got good material for kids. though its good for toddlers & kids around 3-4 years but it shows good thing nothing like spongebob etc. cartoon these days arent the good type, somehow they arent helping kids in their learning capabilities as much as they should.
    chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We non-muslims don't lower our gaze. We don't follow Islam and neither does the author of spongebob squarepants. This isn't an Islamic ruled world. Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work. If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
    some women like to be gazed at, but not all women enjoy being regarded as a piece of meat and not all women enjoy seeing the use of women's bodies to sell everything from cars to guitars. and you don't have to be a muslim to feel this way.
    as far as spongebob & friends, i have no idea what this is all about. (but found this thread hilarious, nonetheless. i don't have a tv and wouldn't want one even for free.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yer you said it snakelegs!

About this spongebob is gay business, I would be more worried about what school kids are sent too, apparently in lots of public schools kids are being taught that homosexuality is normal even in primary school. Thats more worring than a subtley gay sponge..

btw... Songebob is the one who looks like a sponge, the other dude is patrick:

spongeyi3 - Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?