× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 56 visibility 10772

alcohol...its in everything i need!

sevgi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

i have a question about alcdoholic substances...

ive heard that it is not allowed in islam to wear perfume and moisturisers and stuff which contain alcohol. ive gained knowledge that u need to wash the area which it has come into contact with.

i know that perfume isnt correct in large amounts coz it is attractive n stuff...im more worried about moisturisers, i cant find any without alcohol.ive stopped using it but all my frends use it and say "its ok...evryone does it...if it was haram, we wud know..." n stuff like that.

what do i do? is it ok to use things with alcohol in it?

"'Cause I hear the whispered words
    In your masterpiece beautiful
    You speak the unspeakable through
    I love you too"
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Umar001's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: alcohol...its in everything i need!

format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye View Post
    i have a question about alcdoholic substances...

ive heard that it is not allowed in islam to wear perfume and moisturisers and stuff which contain alcohol. ive gained knowledge that u need to wash the area which it has come into contact with.

i know that perfume isnt correct in large amounts coz it is attractive n stuff...im more worried about moisturisers, i cant find any without alcohol.ive stopped using it but all my frends use it and say "its ok...evryone does it...if it was haram, we wud know..." n stuff like that.

what do i do? is it ok to use things with alcohol in it?
    What you might want to try is to go to those health and beauty shops that are 'organic' as such, there are some in most shopping malls, if not then go to what might be known as a 'black hair shop' where you find alchol free products, and chemical free, which is mainly for the hair but you can find stuff for your face too, from what I have seen, I guess it depends where you live.

The path is long but I hope we meet,
    After the grave and the Day, in paradise in bliss upon a reclined seat.

A traveler traveling - travelled from shirk to tawheed,
    If I'm remembered for anything - let it be the Mercy I seek.

Your Bro. Abu Hurayra, al-Habeshi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi View Post
    What you might want to try is to go to those health and beauty shops that are 'organic' as such, there are some in most shopping malls, if not then go to what might be known as a 'black hair shop' where you find alchol free products, and chemical free, which is mainly for the hair but you can find stuff for your face too, from what I have seen, I guess it depends where you live.
    yeah...ive been to them...where i live we have "the body shop" but evrything has some form of alcahol...wat i rememver from chem class in yr11 is that there is lilke the alcohol compounds or watever with diff types of them...i think it depended on how many carbon atoms they had "ethanol, penthanol.." n all that science stuff that i have no clue about...maybe i should do some more research...

jazakallah khayr...

I love you too"
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sis, I found this site for cosmetics.. well the good news is that their cosmetics contain no animal products.. the bad news is that it doesn't say anything about alcohol. But you can email them and ask them that anyway.

http://www.beautynaturally.com/

p.s. watch this space... I'm searching for more
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

thank u sis

I love you too"
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ok... now this is something to worry about... no moisturiser? ffended:

I did a google search on the moisturiser I use, Olay Complete UV Defence... and the ingredients do not say alcohol, they say things like:

Ingredients
    Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 6% (6%), Zinc Oxide 3% (3%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Polyacrylamide, C13-C14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PEG-20/20 Dimethicone, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polycottonseedate, Behenyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Steareth-2, Disodium EDTA, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Oleth-3 Phosphate.

See where the alcohol is mentioned, that is not alcohol in the general sense of the word, i.e. the intoxicant, that is alcohol in the chemical sense of the word, i.e. any molecule that has the -OH group in it (-OH= and oxygen bonded to a hydrogen).

So in this case, these might be 'alcohols' but they are not intoxicants.

So use should be halal inshallah.

wwwislamicboardcom - alcohol...its in everything i need!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post

Ok... now this is something to worry about... no moisturiser? ffended:

I did a google search on the moisturiser I use, Olay Complete UV Defence... and the ingredients do not say alcohol, they say things like:

Ingredients
    Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 6% (6%), Zinc Oxide 3% (3%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Polyacrylamide, C13-C14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PEG-20/20 Dimethicone, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polycottonseedate, Behenyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Steareth-2, Disodium EDTA, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Oleth-3 Phosphate.

See where the alcohol is mentioned, that is not alcohol in the general sense of the word, i.e. the intoxicant, that is alcohol in the chemical sense of the word, i.e. any molecule that has the -OH group in it (-OH= and oxygen bonded to a hydrogen).

So in this case, these might be 'alcohols' but they are not intoxicants.

So use should be halal inshallah.
    so these sort of alcohols are ok..like u can drink em if they werent toxic...?they are halal on their own?

do u know anyone i can ask?

I love you too"
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

even if ethyl alcohol is ok to use, it still dries the skin out.. I was wondering sis, have you tried good ol' olive oil?

oh forgot to mention... most cosmetics contain animal by-products, so that's another reason to check the ingredients.

another site..

http://www.dealtime.com/xDN-Personal...ithout_cruelty
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sis alcohol is not haram. Intoxicants are haram. Ethanol, which is a type of alcohol happens to be an intoxicant and therefore it is haram. Ethanol is what goes into intoxicating drinks like beer and stuff.

Then you have methanol, which is also an alcohol. It does not intoxicate but it would probably kill you if you drank it!

Here is some more detail:

Question: Can you please tell me the types of alcohol that are unlawful in Islam? Obviously drinking alcohol is haram. What I would like to know is how far this goes. Alcohol, in terms of chemistry, is one word for many compounds. Are all types haram? For example in many sauces there are types of alcohol. In shampoos there are alcoholic compounds present. Even in your antifreeze for the car...etc. Where does Islamic Law draw the line. Is there evidence in the Sunnah of distinguishing between types of alcohol?

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday.net

In chemistry, alcohol is a general term that is applied to any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom, which in turn is bound to other hydrogen and/or carbon atoms. In chemistry, the term does not refer to intoxicating beverages, like it does in colloquial speech. There are numerous chemicals that are referred to as alcohols in chemistry. There is no Islamic legislation against alcohols as a chemical group. Islamic Law prohibits intoxicants, not alcohols. There is no mention of the term “alcohol” in the sacred texts. The sacred texts refer to wine and to intoxicants.

The intoxicating substance in wine, beer and other liquors is known as ethanol. Ethanol is what is meant by the word “alcohol” in everyday speech. Ethanol is what is meant when someone says “alcoholic beverages are unlawful in Islam”.

Ethanol is the alcohol generally used in cooking and food preparation. The ruling on using foods that contain ethanol among their ingredients depends on how much ethyl alcohol remains in the food. Please refer to the following fatwâ in this archive for more details:

Fatwa Archive >> Dietary Law >> Alcohol, Intoxicants & Foods Containing Them >> Traces of alcohol in foods & beverages

There are other alcohols, especially fatty alcohols and sugar alcohols, which are used as food additives.

For instance, sodium lauryl sulfate is derived in a chemical process from another chemical known as lauryl alcohol (dodecanol). It is used mainly in soaps and detergents but can be found in some foods as an emulsifier. However, lauryl alcohol – which is sometimes used as a flavoring agent – is not the alcohol of intoxicating drinks. It is derived from coconut oil fatty acids.

Some sugar alcohols, like sorbitol and xylitol are used as sweeteners. A common sugar alcohol used as a food additive is glycerin.

We see no reason why any of these chemicals should be unlawful as food additives, unless they are derived from unlawful sources, like glycerin sometimes is.

And Allah knows best.

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...main_cat_id=30

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wow where does glycerin come from sis?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

no idea...

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ no probs

p.s. I swear olive oil is the best moisturiser in the world
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Really?!

But it looks all ugly and shiny and doesn't feel nice. :X

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    Really?!

But it looks all ugly and shiny and doesn't feel nice. :X
    not if it's massaged in well and allowed to absorb into the skin... any excess can be wiped of with a tissue. I find it best to use while skin is damp. Give it a try. :X
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

chat Quote

Al_Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i read in another thread here that the amount of alcohol is unknown in the mixtures and using products with alcohol is halal, but if alcohol was used for drinking then obviously its haram.

^^ that's the thread im talkin about....
    http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...es-creams.html
    Last edited by Al_Imaan; 01-22-2007 at 11:45 AM.

chat Quote

netprince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes it is permitted to use deodorants and creams containing alcohol, as it is invariably synthetic alcohol and not the khamr (wine) that is absolutely impermissible and filthy.

However, it is more religiously precautious not to, because of the difference of opinion about it.

This is the understanding i have based upon the hanifi position on the use of alcohol in cosmetic products including perfumes. So if you want to use it you can but its better if you can find an alternative.

BLOG

The company of good people breeds good opinions, even of bad people, whereas, the company of bad people breeds bad opinions even of good people
    Imam Shaf'i said "I never debated anyone except that I made a dua that the truth would be manifested on their tongue, so that I could submit to it''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

isn't there a hadith which states that even if a drop of alcohol falls ina bucket of water it becomes haraam? Or is that for drinking only?
    Last edited by Snowflake; 01-23-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ethanol is the only acohol that is an intoxicant. Although the word alcohol comes from the Arabic Al Kahol which is specific for the product of fremetation. The English word Alcohol is a much more diverse product.

To answer an earlier question about glycerine and where it comes from. Glycerine is a fatty alcohol and is found in all fats animal or vegetable. If you eat meat or vegetables you are going to eat glycerine.

glycerol, glycerin, glycerine, or 1,2,3-propanetriol (prō'pāntrī'ŏl) , CH2OHCHOHCH2OH, colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting, syrupy liquid. Glycerol is a trihydric alcohol. It melts at 17.8°C, boils with decomposition at 290°C, and is miscible with water and ethanol. It is hygroscopic; i.e., it absorbs water from the air; this property makes it valuable as a moistener in cosmetics. Glycerol is present in the form of its esters (glycerides) in all animal and vegetable fats and oils. It is obtained commercially as a byproduct when fats and oils are hydrolyzed to yield fatty acids or their metal salts (soaps). Glycerol is also synthesized on a commercial scale from propylene (obtained by cracking petroleum), since supplies of natural glycerol are inadequate. Glycerol can also be obtained during the fermentation of sugars if sodium bisulfite is added with the yeast. Glycerol is widely used as a solvent; as a sweetener; in the manufacture of dynamite, cosmetics, liquid soaps, candy, liqueurs, inks, and lubricants; to keep fabrics pliable; as a component of antifreeze mixtures; as a source of nutrients for fermentation cultures in the production of antibiotics; and in medicine. It has many other uses as well.
    Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/glycerol

Herman 1 - alcohol...its in everything i need!

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

JazakAllah khair, that explains it better.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! alcohol...its in everything i need! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. alcohol...its in everything i need!