× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 119 visibility 11282

Schools 'must teach Britishness'

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Schools in England should teach "core British values" alongside cultural diversity, a report says.
    A review of how schools teach citizenship found there was not enough emphasis on UK identity and history.

The report, by Sir Keith Ajegbo, says pupils should study free speech, the rule of law, mutual tolerance and respect for equal rights.

Education Secretary Alan Johnson has said schools should "play a leading role in creating community cohesion".

He commissioned the review in the wake of the London bombings. Ministers see schools as a key place to promote understanding between communities and to combat intolerance and religious extremism.

Welcoming the report, Mr Johnson announced it would become compulsory for secondary school pupils up to the age of 16 to learn about shared values and life in the UK in their citizenship lessons.

British values

He said youngsters should be encouraged to think critically about issues of race, ethnicity and religion with "an explicit link" to current political debates, the news and a sense of British values.

Understanding the make up of the UK and the recent history of Britain was crucial, he said.

"More can be done to strengthen the curriculum so that pupils are taught more explicitly about why British values of tolerance and respect prevail in society and how our national, regional, religious and ethnic identities have developed over time," he said.

"I believe that schools can and should play a leading role in creating greater community cohesion. The values our children learn at school will shape the kind of country Britain becomes."

Sir Keith Ajegbo, a former head teacher of a London school and Home Office adviser, was asked to look at how "citizenship" and "diversity" was being taught in schools.

Citizenship became compulsory in England's secondary schools in 2002.

His report says more could be done to ensure children "explore, discuss and debate their identities within their citizenship lessons".

Sir Keith said: "Britain is committed to the values of free speech, the rule of law, mutual tolerance and respect for equal rights. They are things that are fundamental to our society."

He suggested that schools should be prepared to tackle controversial topics in the news such as the debate over immigration, and the UK's place in the European Union as well as the legacy of the British Empire.

He said: "It is the duty of all schools to address issues of `how we live together' and `dealing with difference', however difficult or controversial they may seem".

Where could pupils bring those difficult questions if not to school, he asked.

Sir Keith's report also says more needs to be done to engage white, working-class pupils with the issue of diversity.

It says white pupils can feel disenfranchised as much as pupils from other ethnic backgrounds.

"Many indigenous white pupils have negative perceptions of their own identity," it says.

Slavery

The new element for citizenship lessons will be called "Identity and Diversity: Living together in the UK" .

British history will be essential to it, said Sir Keith. At the moment, history is optional after the age of 14.

The three existing planks of citizenship lessons are social and moral responsibility, community involvement and political literacy.

Schools can give distinct lessons on the subject or introduce elements of it in various lessons. The report said it was best taught as a separate subject.

Sir Keith said citizenship lessons had been introduced as a response to political apathy but it was now time to broaden their remit.

Last year schools inspectors Ofsted said the subject was taught badly in one in four schools in England.

Nick Johnson, from the Commission for Racial Equality welcomed the report: "Certain values may be universal, but their application through our history is unique to these islands," he said.

"Britishness does not need to be dominant and certainly not a domineering identity, but it must be a significant common facet that we all can share.

"As such it is a key component in developing greater ties that can bind society together."

Shadow education secretary David Willetts said: "Grounding citizenship on the teaching of British history is crucial.

"We believe citizenship shouldn't just be taught in the abstract but linked very closely to narrative British history."

Teachers' representatives at the NASUWT said they shared the government's aim of promoting equality and diversity.

But they also warned that it might be difficult to add the new themes to an already-crowded curriculum.

Alison Johnston, from the Professional Association of Teachers, said: "It would not be appropriate to promote an imperial British myth by teaching that values such as democracy, justice and fair play are exclusively British or implying that Britain is superior to other countries."

38678667 british empire tp 315 2 - Schools 'must teach Britishness'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6294643.stm
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Schools 'must teach Britishness'

This is similar to the debate going on in the U.S. about the importance of assimilation into American society, particulary with the Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal. I don't think it should be that controversial to expect those who wish to become citizens of either the U.S. or Great Britain to learn about the values, culture, and history of that nation.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hmm british history... nothing much to be proud of there.

i cannot imagine something forcing people to look at alternative lifestyles to the norm such as islam than a genuine look at the history of britain and its past.

best defence i have heard of the british empire was "it was better for em cos it at least it wasnt the french, italians or belgians who colonised em!"

not a very good moral argument, but there you have it and easily defeated.

Abu Abdullah
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol what fishiness is this lol subhanAllaah

Freedome is getting more narrow everyday in europe.

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    lol what fishiness is this lol subhanAllaah

Freedome is getting more narrow everyday in europe.
    "Freedome" isn't easy, and it didn't come cheap. There is nothing wrong with expecting immigrants that choose to live in either the U.S. or the United States to learn about the country they have chosen to inhabit. If you want to live there and take advantage of the way of life and the standard of living, then you should at the very least learn the language, history, and values of that particular country. If you hate the country that much, then leave.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

no-one hates the country, its just the extra work, some people have really busy lives. Will learning about the country really make a difference?

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk View Post
    hmm british history... nothing much to be proud of there.

i cannot imagine something forcing people to look at alternative lifestyles to the norm such as islam than a genuine look at the history of britain and its past.

best defence i have heard of the british empire was "it was better for em cos it at least it wasnt the french, italians or belgians who colonised em!"

not a very good moral argument, but there you have it and easily defeated.

Abu Abdullah
    Nothing to be proud of in British history? Fairly absurd statement. I'm not even British and I can think of a fairly long list.

chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nice idea, but if they keep these lessons as separate 'citizenship' sessions, I bet a whole lot of students will skive or regard it as a 'doss lesson' and not take it seriously. At least, that's my recollection of pupils' reactions to PHSE lessons in secondary school.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I believe most immigrants have a strong incentive to learn the culture of any country they migrate into. That incentive is called survival. I think people should learn the culture of what ever country they live in, but it should not be a legal mandate.

Herman 1 - Schools 'must teach Britishness'

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    no-one hates the country, its just the extra work, some people have really busy lives. Will learning about the country really make a difference?
    It isn't about "making a difference" in any particular thing, it is about being British and a citizen of Great Britain. Just as in the U.S., the days of grateful immigrants willingly putting in the effort to become knowledgable about the country they have chosen to inhabit are long gone. The principles and values of democracy and freedom are important to its continued existence. These values are and should be taught in public schools. The same with adult immigrants, they too should take courses designed to educated them on the democratic system they have chosen to reap the benefits of.

chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think it is probably not a bad idea... but the problem with it is the reactions it causes, for example:

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    If you hate the country that much, then leave.
    I think, in general, it is too open to abuse.:rolleyes:

wwwislamicboardcom - Schools 'must teach Britishness'
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post

I think it is probably not a bad idea... but the problem with it is the reactions it causes, for example:

I think, in general, it is too open to abuse.:rolleyes:
    That didn't cause my reaction, my reaction was caused by those who live in a country and reap all the benefits, but still talk about how they hate the country they live in. They have freedom of speech, and they can say it, but I also have freedom of speech.

chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That didn't cause my reaction, my reaction was caused by those who live in a country and reap all the benefits, but still talk about how they hate the country they live in. They have freedom of speech, and they can say it, but I also have freedom of speech.
    That is my point exactly, this issue just brings out all the stereotypes- not one even said they hate the country!!!

This just brings out the defensiveness in everyone.

wwwislamicboardcom - Schools 'must teach Britishness'
    chat Quote

Sabbir_1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nothing to be proud of in British history? Fairly absurd statement. I'm not even British and I can think of a fairly long list.
    I cant think of anything good... please list them own.. i would really like to know

They should teach about the islamic history in these schools, not once when i was in school did they teach about the islamic history.. i wouldnt expect them..too.. its always about ww1, ww2, viking, romans.. nothing else.. Indians..
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    That is my point exactly, this issue just brings out all the stereotypes- not one even said they hate the country!!!

This just brings out the defensiveness in everyone.
    My comment was directed at Dawud_uk, who posted that there was nothing to be proud of in British history, and went on to leave the impression that anything the British are proud of should be "refuted". No, he didn't use the word "hate", but there are plenty of people out there who have this mindset. In the U.S. they are usually spoiled little rich kids who think its cool to say they hate their country. That is freedom of speech, and I don't want to STOP them from saying it, but perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to say it in the first place if they actually knew anything about their country. That is my point. Education about democracy and citizenship is important to the health of any constitutional democracy.

chat Quote

FBI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is just stupid, what the hell is "Britishness" anyway, can someone give me a list in bullet-point format so I can laugh with ease?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sounds interesting. until its actually being implemented cant really say much.
    they should have brought studying british history when i was in school!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by FBI View Post

This is just stupid, what the hell is "Britishness" anyway, can someone give me a list in bullet-point format so I can laugh with ease?
    I don't think it is referring to a "list" of attributes, it is referring to an overall understanding of the democratic system, the responsibilities of being a British citizen, voting, etc, etc.

chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by FBI View Post

well britain does have a lot of culture, not all of it is bad...
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It isn't about "making a difference" in any particular thing, it is about being British and a citizen of Great Britain.
    why do we have to "Be British", why cant we "Be who we are" and still live with them? Do they hate us if we're not british or something ??

-
    -
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Schools 'must teach Britishness' Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Schools 'must teach Britishness'