Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Valentine's Day

Report bad ads?

Valentine's Day

The Festival of Love was one of the festivals of the pagan Romans, when paganism was the prevalent religion of the Romans more than seventeen centuries ago. In the pagan Roman concept, it was an expression of "spiritual love".

There were myths associated with this pagan festival of the Romans, which persisted with their Christian heirs. Among the most famous of these myths was the Roman belief that Romulus, the founder of Rome, was suckled one day by a she-wolf, which gave him strength and wisdom.

The Romans used to celebrate this event in mid-February each year with a big festival.

One of the rituals of this festival was the sacrifice of a dog and a goat. Two strong and muscular youths would daub the blood of the dog and goat onto their bodies, then they would wash the blood away with milk. After that there would be a great parade, with these two youths at its head, which would go about the streets. The two youths would have pieces of leather with which they would hit everyone who crossed their path. The Roman women would welcome these blows, because they believed that they could prevent or cure infertility.

The connection between Saint Valentine and this festival:

Saint Valentine is a name which is given to two of the ancient "martyrs" of the Christian Church. It was said that there were two of them, or that there was only one, who died in Rome as the result of the persecution of the Gothic leader Claudius, c. 296 CE. In 350 CE, a church was built in Rome on the site of the place where he died, to perpetuate his memory.

When the Romans embraced Christianity, they continued to celebrate the Feast of Love mentioned above, but they changed it from the pagan concept of "spiritual love" to another concept known as the "martyrs of love", represented by Saint Valentine who had advocated love and peace, for which cause he was martyred, according to their claims. It was also called the Feast of Lovers, and Saint Valentine was considered to be the patron saint of lovers.

One of their false beliefs connected with this festival was that the names of girls who had reached marriageable age would be written on small rolls of paper and placed in a dish on a table. Then the young men who wanted to get married would be called, and each of them would pick a piece of paper. He would put himself at the service of the girl whose name he had drawn for one year, so that they could find out about one another. Then they would get married, or they would repeat the same process again on the day of the festival in the following year.

The Christian clergy reacted against this tradition, which they considered to have a corrupting influence on the morals of young men and women. It was abolished in Italy, where it had been well-known, then it was revived in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when in some western countries there appeared shops which sold small books called “Valentine’s books”, which contained love poems, from which the one who wanted to send a greeting to his sweetheart could choose. They also contained suggestions for writing love letters.

The above quotation is excerpted, with slight modifications, from www.Islam-qa.com

2. Report bad ads?
    Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Valentine's Day

^^Forget Valentines...waste of money and time...
    You should show love to your loved ones everyday..
    Valentine's Day

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*

MusLiM 4 LiFe's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

innit, why do u need a specific day to tell sum1 u love dem? its useless really.. and da present and card ting only came recently so basically its just another day 2 mess about..
    Valentine's Day

[x][..Im*Back*..][x]
    (kinda)

wwwislamicboardcom - Valentine's Day

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You treat your girl to an expensive dinner dinner, get her a gift, expensive flowers, show her a good time You cannot afford to take your girl out to an expensive dinner everyday or buy her expensive flowers all the time. It's a tradition and if you have children it's a great way of getting out and enjoy yourself which you cannot do all the time.

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^I'm sticking with what I said. Why would I want to adopt a pagan holiday. Thats changing also....
    Valentine's Day

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by England View Post
    Did everyone have a good valentine?

yup...sat at home, eat my fill, no annoying whatevers to share food with...no waste of money...no one i gotta impress...hell i never knew i was that free

Valentine's Day

Kittygyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salamualikum.
    i forgot about Valentines until me NEPHEW reminded me!! grr
    Ma'assalama

Ubaidah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Had a very nice evening, very relaxing.

H4RUN's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Li Down2eartH MembeR
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

oh my gosh, had an amazing time, bought luxury chocs [snickers] and then premium ones [ferrero rochers]

Went out for a exquisite dinner, 1 piece chicken and chips on the side...what can i say? My significant other was gob smacked

Just me myself and i , aaaaaah the joys of 'avin the whole ferrero rocher pack to myself
    Valentine's Day

I had a wrestle with an alligator, i had a tussle with a whale, I handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail! Only last week i murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick, im so mean i make medicine sick

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologise!"
    kay:

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You're all saying "what's with valentine? You should show your love, treat your partner everyday." Yet most of you if not all did squat but "relaxed." Way to back up your theory.

Kittygyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salamualikum.
    TJ you had a what time? lol
    Ma'assalama

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I didnt relax. Im sick but i chose to be helping my mom still even though she would tell me not too lol. I relaxed alot yesterday which is why my 102 fever is off, Alhumdulillah
    Last edited by Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн; 02-15-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    Valentine's Day

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Edited because you edited

brightness_1
    Li Down2eartH MembeR
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^
    So u choose to treat them once a year? Good luck is all im gonna say mate
    Last edited by H4RUN; 02-15-2007 at 10:21 PM.
    Valentine's Day

I had a wrestle with an alligator, i had a tussle with a whale, I handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail! Only last week i murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick, im so mean i make medicine sick

kay:

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN View Post
    ^
    So u choose to treat then once a year? Good luck is all im gonna say mate
    You managed to reply before I edited. As I said above you cannot afford to buy an expensive meal for you and your partner, expensive flowers and gifts in one day all the time. If you did that you'd be in debt.

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But why limit it to "one day?" How do u know someone doesnt have money that particlar day. Anything can happen you know. What if someone dies that day, would you go out and party?
    Valentine's Day

brightness_1
    Li Down2eartH MembeR
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ to England
    money isnt everything kay: it certainly shouldn't be what makes a relationship dot dot dot
    Valentine's Day

kay:

brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well I just hate it cause its a pagan thing and i dont want to follow nething like that. Anything which is not in Islam.
    Valentine's Day

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You're all missing the point. I'm just sounding repetative now.

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we get the point, but r u getting ours? :X
    Valentine's Day

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Valentine's Day Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Valentine's Day