× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 27 visibility 2622

Australian Muslims enter politics

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...8BEFEDB5C9.htm

Muslim leaders in Australia have announced plans to form a political party to fight what they say is growing Islamophobia.

Sheikh Taj Aldin al-Hilali, the Mufti of Australia, is leading the drive for the country's 300,000 Muslims to get more involved in politics.

Al-Hilali caused a storm of protest late last year when he described scantily-dressed women as "uncovered meat" and suggested they were inviting rape.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Australian Muslims enter politics

I guess that I’m the only one who thinks interesting that some one who creates massive anti-Muslim sentiment by referring to women as “meat” is going into politics to combat Islamaphobia.
    chat Quote

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    I guess that I’m the only one who thinks interesting that some one who creates massive anti-Muslim sentiment by referring to women as “meat” is going into politics to combat Islamaphobia.
    There is obviously a certain clash of civilizations at play here. Perhaps if one could actually define "Islamophobia", and separate that definition from those who simply disagree with Muslim beliefs, the word might have more meaning.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    There is obviously a certain clash of civilizations at play here. Perhaps if one could actually define "Islamophobia", and separate that definition from those who simply disagree with Muslim beliefs, the word might have more meaning.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamaphobia
    Islamophobia is a controversial neologism defined as a prejudice against or demonization of Muslims..

Islamophobia is not simply disagreeing with Muslim beliefs.
    Last edited by wilberhum; 03-13-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think islamophobia is more against islaam more than simply muslims. As those who follow the true authentic Qur'an and Sunnah are attacked, whereas those who try to distort it and follow another way are termed as 'moderate' - so anyone who follows the true way is usually attacked, hence it's attacking islaam. Allaah knows best.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah View Post
    I think islamophobia is more against islaam more than simply muslims. As those who follow the true authentic Qur'an and Sunnah are attacked, whereas those who try to distort it and follow another way are termed as 'moderate' - so anyone who follows the true way is usually attacked, hence it's attacking islaam. Allaah knows best.
    I truly don't think Islamophobia has anything to do with any sect.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You'll see that they're nearly always attacking the 'Wahabbis' because those who strictly follow the Qur'an and Prophetic way are placed under that label by those people.

So yes, it is specifically those who follow the true way as the Prophet (peace be upon him) himself stated. Those who follow his way, and the way of his companions.

Regards.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamaphobia
    Islamophobia is a controversial neologism defined as a prejudice against or demonization of Muslims..

Islamophobia is not simply disagreeing with Muslim beliefs.
    Perhaps I should elaborate. What I mean to say by "disagreeing" with Muslim belief, is that laws and norms in the West do not recognize many of the cultural norms of many Muslims. Like wearing the veil on driver's licences, for instance. I remember the shouts of "Islamophobia" attached to this situation when the woman was denied the right to do that. I think the word is being used in ways similar to the word racism. You get fired, scream racism. I just wish these words were used more sparingly, so the serious nature of the accusation wouldn't be trivialized.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You'll see that they're nearly always attacking the 'Wahabbis' because those who strictly follow the Qur'an and Prophetic way are placed under that label by those people.

So yes, it is specifically those who follow the true way as the Prophet (peace be upon him) himself stated. Those who follow his way, and the way of his companions.

Regards.
    By attacking, do you mean speaking out against them? Is that Islamophobia or a difference in opinion?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Regards.
    That would be "Wahabbisophobia".
    I have never heard anyone who spoke against Muslims identify an sect that they disliked. They just dislike Muslims. Period.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Perhaps I should elaborate. What I mean to say by "disagreeing" with Muslim belief, is that laws and norms in the West do not recognize many of the cultural norms of many Muslims. Like wearing the veil on driver's licences, for instance. I remember the shouts of "Islamophobia" attached to this situation when the woman was denied the right to do that. I think the word is being used in ways similar to the word racism. You get fired, scream racism. I just wish these words were used more sparingly, so the serious nature of the accusation wouldn't be trivialized.
    There will always be those that cry discrimination. There are security reasons for some of the things that Muslims object to. If the law requires a picture ID to secure a privilege, that’s the law. If you want a privilege granted that requires a picture ID, you have a choice. There is nothing Phobic about it.
    chat Quote

strider's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

By attacking, do you mean speaking out against them? Is that Islamophobia or a difference in opinion?
    I agree, Islamophobia needs to be defined properly. Some people are beginning to use it like others who use the race card for every little disgreement they get caught up in.

In principle, a drive to encourage more Muslims to enter the political arena is a great one but having read the article i think both sides involved in this controversy so to speak, have made some ridiculous points.
    chat Quote

Zulkiflim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Alhamdulilah,the Mufti is going the right way.

this is a country where they voted people who want Australia to be WHITE ONLY>.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi Keltoi.

I mean attacking, that's what's shown on the media and it's labelled under that term, purposelly.

Wilberhum, i've seen it quite alot on the media.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi Keltoi.

I mean attacking, that's what's shown on the media and it's labelled under that term, purposelly.

Wilberhum, i've seen it quite alot on the media.
    I’ m sorry; I’m not sure what you are saying.
    Would you mind expounding and give a specific example?

Thanks
    Wilber
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's mainly been mentioned on the BBC, and they purposelly use this term. Obviously it was on an interview in the news, and i can't really prove it because i don't know how to quote a news program which was shown quite a while ago.

But yeah it's common. And if i find something, i'll post it up inshaa Allaah [God willing.]

Regards.
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Australian Muslims enter politics

Regards.

I don't think they just attack Salafis, they are just the most prominent group of religious Muslims. If they saw orthodox Mahdabists or Sufis they would probably attack them too.

wwwislamicboardcom - Australian Muslims enter politics
    chat Quote

KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So anyone that openly disagrees with (and thus attacks) some basic Islamic principles, doctrines and assumptions is an Islamophobe? That would also make me an Islamophobe . Oh well. I'd rather dislike an ideology/doctrine than dislike people. Disliking doctrines is perfectly healthy, disliking people because they follow certain doctrines is much more bigoted and socially disruptive. In short, I'm happy I'm an Islamophobe than, and not a Muslimophobe!
    Last edited by KAding; 03-14-2007 at 06:44 PM.
    chat Quote

allah-akbar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

First of on this topic, i am not going to define islamophobia but on the topic that women who shows their skin asks for rape, I must say that the way it was put in word where women were refered as meat was complete wrong, but the idea on showing skin still remains hanging.

As for as fashion goes, i don't see the point of showing a part of skin other than sexual matter which i not going to get in to and hope that others understand what i mean.

Aswell, note that i have seen quite alot of sources being quote from WIKIPEDIA, i advice you not to use it as you all know that its content is alterable by anyone, so please stay away from wikipedia and rather use a solid source.

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by allah-akbar View Post

Aswell, note that i have seen quite alot of sources being quote from WIKIPEDIA, i advice you not to use it as you all know that its content is alterable by anyone, so please stay away from wikipedia and rather use a solid source.

Well, wikipedia quite often quotes sources itself. So it is not completely random most of the time.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Australian Muslims enter politics Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Australian Muslims enter politics