× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 29 visibility 4593

TV surprise...oh no.

AnonymousPoster's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anonymous
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

TV surprise...oh no.

Report bad ads?

I just got married and when I got to my in-laws house, found that my husband had a TV in his room. Now that is a problem for me - number one, I hate TV because it is a conversation killer, it is filthy and wastes life.
    How do I encourage him to get rid of it from the room without acting like a control freak?

Please help me!
    Jazakallah
    TV surprise...oh no.

Anonymous account
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: TV surprise...oh no.

lol subhanAllah, sis just calmly advise him and make dua', inshaAllah soon he'll see. inshaAllah
    TV surprise...oh no.

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

take the fuse out! lol

no seriously, he won't give up just because you don't like it. So be patient. From your post, I'm assuming that the nature of the programmes your husband views aren't always desirable. Don't worry.

Follow these steps.. in this order

preparation

1) without mentioning the TV, talk to him about zina of the eyes and ears. Tell him that seeing and hearing what's forbidden is sin. Give his brain time to absorb undesirable information. Be casual, like, "SubhanAllah can you imagine that looking at nudity etcetc.. is zina of the eyes. And our eyes will testify against us on the D.O.J!" Or something like that.

2) Few days later... enforce the message with evidence, e.g. books, audios, (don't mention TV yet) and provide Quranic verses + hadith about lowering the gaze and hayaa. Quip that this includes not looking at pictures too!

3) A few days later, by which time he might have realised that he's seeing haram images on TV too, mention that we're constantly being bombarded with offensive images on TV. Again, say it's fitnah and zina for our eyes.

4) Help him increase his knowledge of deen. It's amazing how knowledge affects our hearts and minds and we mentally and physically start refraining from everything that is haram.

5) Be a role model. If your husband sees you striving for your deen, it will have a positive effect on him. Whether he's affected through guilt or genuine interest, at least it's got his attention! Then........

Prepare for the strike!

1) when he has the TV on and something offensive comes on (bad lingo/nudity) say, "astaghfirullahhhhhh!!!!!!! This is what I meant by zina of the eyes and ears!" *look deeply offended x million* ffended: ffended:

2) Print this article and say, "Look what I found on the internet." (That's not a lie - you DID find it on the internet). Read it with him. http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/television.html

3) Hopefully, hopefully, inshaAllah, inshaAllah, even if he doesn't get rid of the TV instantly, everything he's learnt will be playing on his conscience. Strike while the iron's hot! I can't tell you exactly how to say it. But sumthing like, "Hun/sweetheart (whatever..whatever..) I really think we should get rid of the TV. There's just too much filth on it." etc etc...

You know my brain's just died! Anyway, do it that way if you wanna do it the gentle way and best of all in a way that he'll happily oblige with. I mean u can argue about it but that's going to make him resentful. Bad idea!

Course, you don't have to follow the plan with military precision, but with hikmah and a little bit of cunning in any way you see best should also work.

Good luck! Plz let me know the outcome if you follow my plan.
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the simplest way is just call a tv technician, tell him to cut a wire inside a TV, and the TV will not work anymore, or maybe drop a glass of water on the TV and then dry it
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    strider's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester View Post

I just got married and when I got to my in-laws house, found that my husband had a TV in his room. Now that is a problem for me - number one, I hate TV because it is a conversation killer, it is filthy and wastes life.
    How do I encourage him to get rid of it from the room without acting like a control freak?

Please help me!
    Jazakallah
    It isn't that bad. For all you know he might have been using it for factual programs and the news. If it is really an issue of concern for you, then inshaAllah talk to him about it openly.

People kill conversations, not TVs.
    chat Quote

shible's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu alaikkum(warah)

I have a solution but it only works on how much effort you put into it.

U do know the timing when your hubby watches TV right so in jus 5 to 10 minutes before it you start to recite the Qur'an in your room or perform the necessary preyers on that time or do Zikr

I am sure that most people give more respect to Qur'an and Prayer than any entertainment.

Ultimately you not only strengthen your Emaan but instead you also Strengthen the Emaan of your Hubby.
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

use my plan... but if that doesn't work do something like vpb suggested. But he might just buy another TV - an even bigger one! Better to replace the fuse with one that doesn't work. When he susses and replaces it, make sure u keep the old one then change it again. keep it up til he gets fed up and gives up.
    chat Quote

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

start buying cd on islamic issues for a start...
    TV surprise...oh no.

heart 1 - TV surprise...oh no.

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis View Post
    use my plan... but if that doesn't work do something like vpb suggested. But he might just buy another TV - an even bigger one! Better to replace the fuse with one that doesn't work. When he susses and replaces it, make sure u keep the old one then change it again. keep it up til he gets fed up and gives up.
    i bet he's gonna think that there are some phantasms in the house :P blowing up the fuses . lol

The instructions given above are only for educational purposes only, and we hold no responsibility for any potential damage it may cause.
    Last edited by vpb; 03-14-2007 at 04:41 AM.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sister Muslimah_Sis said it best. The key is to open the doors for communication.

Openness and honesty will go a long ways.

I would recommend vbp's method only if you are closely related to a good divorce lawyer.
    TV surprise...oh no.

Herman 1 - TV surprise...oh no.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

but we cannot say he would not identify the change in fuse.

and in case if he gets to know the truth

then it would not strengthen the relationship but makes the condition even worse
    chat Quote

Tania's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Alternative:
    - before he goes to tv try to catch him in something interesting things to do. What he likes. 99% will stop to do what they like.
    I wish to be so talkative like you because i can't imagine myself able to speak 3 or 4 hours each day.For me the tv will be a "friend" which will save me from embarassing moments spend in 2. - silence everywhere.
    chat Quote

Tania's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by shible View Post
    then it would not strengthen the relationship but makes the condition even worse
    Or will make it better because are men which likes to feel number one. When he will notice the wife was able to damage the tv in order to spend more time with she, what would you say
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well there is one more way jus thought of it.

Try to but some Books based on various sections such as religious, humor, informative, etc.,

In the First place i think u would have had a nice conversation with your hubby of wat he likes and dislikes.

so try to go according to his likes (hobbies) apart from TV.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yet if he takes it in a positive sense then Masha Allah he will be more affectionate and loving

But

If he is filled up with the tension in Office and comes home for a relief from the stress

then how do u think he would take it?
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

seriously,
    just find out first what he is watching, if it is like (news, quiz shows etc) then why stop him, but if he's watching something which is haram then the best way is just to talk to him. u can't do stuff in sneaky way, bc if he finds out he will be angry that somebody is trying to do tricky stuff to make him do something. so be honest and talk to him.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No Bro i don't think that would really work.

Since i know a guy who use to watch the same news for two hours in 3 to 4 different channels.

and when a quiz or show finishes not most people keep the remote down but they start to browse other channels for others programmes
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

but she needs to talk to him , and explain the situation. not try in a tricky way to make him do something. people like to be honest to them.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It depends on the level of understanding between them.

if there is a strong understanding then even huge Stroms become cool winds before their understanding and affection
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    zircon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

MashaAllah.. Muslimah_Sis got really nice advises
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! TV surprise...oh no. Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. TV surprise...oh no.