star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

looking for the sisters advice - cooking

Report bad ads?

ok so i cant cook. and first it was haa haa yeh i'll joke around so what if i can't cook blah blah blah but now im getting worried because i obviuosly want to cook its the learing part thats annoying.

and the mister likes meat-type dishes and i hate touching raw meat. its all pink and sqwishy. so any tips on how to learn to cook?

i know obviuos answer is my mum but we don't get on to well with cooking because it takes me a while to get the hang of it and she's a bit more move and let me do it.

well thats my pathetic secret. any advice?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    noodles's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: looking for the sisters advice - cooking

Just jump in have a go at it.

The first thing I made was Kheema, and all I did was take the frozen thing out of the freezer, and let it defrost (as in put it in warm water) then I just put it in the pot and put lots of onion, once they were done, I threw in the kheema, pour some water till it cover the kheema to the top, then let it sit on the stove.

Let it sit for about 20-30 mins, then find alot of spices (I just took random spices) and throw them in. If it smells good, keep throwing. Then at the end just taste to make sure the meat is cooked.

Thats generally what I do for all 'meat-involved' recipes. I dont follow a guide. I just throw in a vegetable or two when its needed. It pretty much comes out wierd, but in the end it fills you up.

You get better as you practice.

Plus you've got someone to try them out on. If he doesnt like it, then threaten him and he'll pretty much learn to love it
    chat Quote

Lina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Best way to learn is to hang around your mum in the kitchen and take notes. I know how to cook and love to but if it wasen't for my mum telling me how to handle meat, I wouldn't know as much as I know now because those cooking shows don't show the messy part where you have to clean the chicken etc. and also chopping of the parts you won't be needing etc.

Question: If you haven't cooked any meat yet, how do you cope during Eid?

Tip: Hang around mum! Take notes, notes and notes.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
    chat Quote

noahs_arc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i don't get that question about eid lol
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    bint-ul-islam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamoalikum ,
    sis she is talking about Eid Ul Adha ....
    one of the important role of a woman is to look after her home ...its mother duty to teach them before marrying.
    but unfortunately if u don't know how to cook ...don't worry ....take the first step ...first learn to cook simple things ..and sis gave very good advice ...hang out with ur mum .....note every step...ask questions which u could not understand...
    keep in mind may be at first u mom say u lazy , worst cook e.t.c but u will learn that way
    p.s ...by the way where u from ...i may have any idea of ur cooking meat style
    Last edited by bint-ul-islam; 03-19-2007 at 09:36 AM.

La ilaha ilallaho muhamadur rasoolulah

-Though no one can go back and make a brand new start , any one can start from now and make a brand new ending.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post

Best way to learn is to hang around your mum in the kitchen and take notes. I know how to cook and love to but if it wasen't for my mum telling me how to handle meat, I wouldn't know as much as I know now because those cooking shows don't show the messy part where you have to clean the chicken etc. and also chopping of the parts you won't be needing etc.

Question: If you haven't cooked any meat yet, how do you cope during Eid?

Tip: Hang around mum! Take notes, notes and notes.

I couldn't have said any better..

Lol @ being squirmish about handling meat!! I was like that too in the beginning..

But now it doesn't bother me as much alhamdulillah, just give it some time sis.

I remember the first time I cooked a whole Lamb for some guests!!
    My Mum was pushin me to do it saying it's okkk I'll guide you through it!
    and I was like Nooooooo! :eek: How can I!!! it's a "Whole Lamb" Mum!!!

I'd never forget that day I was soOO frantic, whizzing from the kicthen to the living room:
    Errrm MUUM what do I do next!! ... Errr can you have a look at it now! I think it's startin to burrrn

But at the end of the day I got through it alhamdulillah, It tasted great and it was just on time for the guests, I felt so proud of myself.

So I think the best way to do it is to just get stuck in and have someone there to guide you through it.

If not try buyin a Cook book and you'll learn from your mistakes as you go along InshaAllah!

Hope all goes well.

Ps: There's nothing pathetic about not knowing how to cook sis!
    chat Quote

SUMMAYAH's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaams sis.

Getting ur mum to guide u is a good tip however be careful coz with me, I just ended up doing all the cleaning whilst it was my mum who was really cooking! (no wonder the dishes were so tasty!)

If u gonna let ur mum guide u make sure she stay's in the otha room like sis Amirah's mum...........

anyways keep trying and u will get the hang of it Inshallah..........

If not just stock ur freezer with frozen lasania's

wwwislamicboardcom - looking for the sisters advice - cooking
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by noahs_arc View Post

ok so i cant cook. and first it was haa haa yeh i'll joke around so what if i can't cook blah blah blah but now im getting worried because i obviuosly want to cook its the learing part thats annoying.

and the mister likes meat-type dishes and i hate touching raw meat. its all pink and sqwishy. so any tips on how to learn to cook?

i know obviuos answer is my mum but we don't get on to well with cooking because it takes me a while to get the hang of it and she's a bit more move and let me do it.

well thats my pathetic secret. any advice?
    ARE YOU MY SISTER LOL

shes been having exactly the same problem

but theres no mister !!!!!

also my mum tells me to just learn by watching, probably the boringest way to learn but hey i got there!

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^Good advice sisters!

Also learn to get to know your food. For instance when making curry, make sure the onions have melted before adding the meat. There's nothing worse than solid bits of onion floating in a curry. Onions make the gravy so if they haven't melted, the sauce won't have a rich flavour and the gravy won't be thick.

Tomatoes add a tang to the dish. Garlic adds depth to the flavour as well as aroma.

Main spices are tumeric, chilli powder, curry powder, paprika, cumin seeds, stick of cinnamon, a few cloves and garam masala. To finish off the dish, coriander/cilantro and green chillies. It can't go wrong.

Red ones are optional. The rest are a must.

Tell us if you want step-by-step recipes and we'll post them inshaAllah.
    Last edited by Snowflake; 03-19-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    tomtomsmom's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

and let it defrost (as in put it in warm water)
    Ermmmm sorry but DON"T DO THAT!!!!! It will help bacteria breed inside the meat and you can get very sick!!! It is best to let meat thaw overnight in the fridge but if you can't wait that long then fill your sink with COLD water. Every 30 minutes drain and refill.

As for not wanting to touch the meat that is real easy. Get some disposable gloves. That way you don't actually touch it .

There are some really good websites that have step-bystep instructions with pictures.

Start small. Learn the basics to cooking. After you have them then the harder things aren't really hard at all.

What exactly do you want to try and learn???

"The only thing neccesary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - E. Burke

"We have just enough religion to hate but not enough to love one another" -Jonathan Swift
    chat Quote

HIJABI***'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LOLZZ u know summat theres not many brothers i knw dat can cook!!!
    chat Quote

Qurratul Ayn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Conquer the Shaytaan
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Talking Re: looking for the sisters advice - cooking

format_quote Originally Posted by HIJABI*** View Post
    LOLZZ u know summat theres not many brothers i knw dat can cook!!!
    I know quite alot of Brothers and Uncles who cook and majority of them are chefs!!! My Older Brother cooks better than my Sister-in-law (so she says!!!)

And learn to cook My Dear Sisters as you all Insha'Allah Ta'ala will be getting married soon or in a few years time!!!

Last edited by Qurratul Ayn; 03-19-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes!!!

فَبِأَيِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ
    "Then which of the favours of Your Lord will ye deny?"
    Al-Qur'aan; Surah Ar-Rahman

chat Quote

Rabiyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom View Post
    Ermmmm sorry but DON"T DO THAT!!!!! It will help bacteria breed inside the meat and you can get very sick!!! It is best to let meat thaw overnight in the fridge but if you can't wait that long then fill your sink with COLD water. Every 30 minutes drain and refill.

As for not wanting to touch the meat that is real easy. Get some disposable gloves. That way you don't actually touch it .

There are some really good websites that have step-bystep instructions with pictures.

Start small. Learn the basics to cooking. After you have them then the harder things aren't really hard at all.

What exactly do you want to try and learn???
    That's one thing I notice she was doing wrong too, never wash any meat in hot water, or let it sit in hot water. It's not goot for the meat and your health.

and
    Also learn to get to know your food. For instance when making curry, make sure the onions have melted before adding the meat. There's nothing worse than solid bits of onion floating in a curry. Onions make the gravy so if they haven't melted the sauce won't have a rich flavour. And the gravy will be watery.
    just take the onions out after they are a little brown put it in a blender, with one tomato or one table spoon of tomato puree and blend it, you have your gravy quick and easy, and while you are doing that put the meat in the same oil onions were brown in. and stir the meat now and then, add ginger/garlic paste (to make life easy) one or two tea spoons, and keep stiring meat so the smell of raw is gone and add your curry/gravy, and little bit of water, let it cook till you see little bit of red oil building on top of the curry and you are ready to eat....add veggies if you want and wait for it to cook.
    Voila you are done babe......
    if need more PM me, will give you little tips to make life easy...by the time you are done it shouldn't be more than an hour or less

qaforange2 1 - looking for the sisters advice - cooking
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

and dont give up if it turns out a flop sometimes.
    and have a few things as a must have for meat so it dont taste raw.

*i myself havta go cook now*

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Mawaddah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Patience is the Key
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87 View Post

I'd never forget that day I was soOO frantic, whizzing from the kicthen to the living room:
    Errrm MUUM what do I do next!! ... Errr can you have a look at it now! I think it's startin to burrrn

But at the end of the day I got through it alhamdulillah, It tasted great and it was just on time for the guests, I felt so proud of myself.

Was it that time in Dammaj for Ya'qoubs Aqiqah Princess?

Yeah the food tasted great that day Masha'allah

But was it you who cooked?

And sis, Cooking is no big deal really, I mean, not everyone is born knowing how to cook, you just have to learn how to do it, just like everything else

Who knows, maybe you have a talent? :eek: it just needs to be discovered lol.

I learnt how to cook from my mom and started from when I was 7.....and now I can cook pretty okay alhamdulillah.

Or maybe you can just try to go by cookbooks, but sometimes it doesn't work out perfect the first time because there are lots of little tips to cooking which dont exactly come in cookbooks.

So the only way to really get good at it is to keep trying and trying really

And dont worry! you're not pathetic, everyone just has to start at sometime
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So umm washing the meat in hot water is bad?

But why would that matter? as you are going to cook the food anyway. right? (or am I missing something?)

I would think that due to the amount of heat present in the pot, the bacteria would die. Wouldnt that be true? or are they capable of surviving in much worse conditions?
    chat Quote

Ra`eesah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    UmmLuqmann
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu'Alaykum

Try these sites they are very helpful step by step and easy.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...in-ten-minutes

http://arabicslice.com/main.html
    chat Quote

tomtomsmom's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    So umm washing the meat in hot water is bad?

But why would that matter? as you are going to cook the food anyway. right? (or am I missing something?)

I would think that due to the amount of heat present in the pot, the bacteria would die. Wouldnt that be true? or are they capable of surviving in much worse conditions?
    You can wash meat in hot water you just can't thaw meat in hot water.

And yes, there are many bacteria that can survive the cooking process and make you really sick!!!! It is better to be safe then sorry

"The only thing neccesary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - E. Burke

"We have just enough religion to hate but not enough to love one another" -Jonathan Swift
    chat Quote

Mawaddah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Patience is the Key
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom View Post
    You can wash meat in hot water you just can't thaw meat in hot water.

And yes, there are many bacteria that can survive the cooking process and make you really sick!!!! It is better to be safe then sorry
    Oooh I didnt' know that oh:

But then, I never thaw my meat in hot water anyway
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Alrighty, I'll rep you once I turn into an adult on the forums
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! looking for the sisters advice - cooking Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. looking for the sisters advice - cooking