× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 42 visibility 6397

Chocolate Jesus

akulion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Exclamation Chocolate Jesus

Report bad ads?

Removed Images. We are forbidden to show Images of Prophets(PBUT)

A New York art gallery has decided to cancel an exhibit of a chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ after protests by a US Catholic group.

The six-foot (1.8m) sculpture, entitled "My Sweet Lord", depicts a naked Jesus Christ with his arms outspread.

The sculpture, by artist Cosimo Cavallaro, was to have been displayed from Monday at Manhattan's Lab Gallery.

The timing, over Easter Holy Week - the most important part of the Christian year - provoked an outcry.

The Roger Smith Hotel housing the Lab gallery decided to cancel the exhibition after the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights called for a boycott.

'Strong-arming'

"We're delighted with the outcome," said Kiera McCaffrey, spokeswoman for the League.

Ms McCaffrey had called the exhibit "an assault on Christians".

"They would never dare do something similar with a chocolate statue of the Prophet Mohammed naked with his genitals exposed during Ramadan."

The Lab gallery's artistic director, Matt Semler, has offered his resignation, saying the decision to cancel the exhibition was a result of "strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing.

"They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions," he said.

Mr Semler said the timing of the exhibition - when Christians mark the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ - was coincidental.

Canadian-born Mr Cavallaro is known for using food ingredients in his art, on one occasion painting a hotel room in mozzarella cheese.

He used 200 pounds (90 kg) of chocolate to make the sculpture which, unusually, depicts Jesus without a loincloth. It showed him suspended in air with his arms spread wide, as if crucified.

Source: BBC News
    Last edited by Woodrow; 04-01-2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Removed pictures
    Chocolate Jesus

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Chocolate Jesus

what a waste of chocolate!
    seriously, i see no merit in this type of "art" - it can only hurt and offend.
    Chocolate Jesus

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Chocolate Jesus
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well they could have at least put a loin cloth, thats just terrible
    chat Quote

*Hana*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, I agree. It's extremely offensive and quite frankly it doesn't even look like the Christian depiction of Jesus

It's no wonder they were made to close the exhibit.

Hana
    Chocolate Jesus

wwwislamicboardcom - Chocolate Jesus

"Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good" (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched...but are felt in the heart.
    -Helen Keller
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i wonder what will happen to the choco

probably be melted and made into easter eggs now
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I feel that this is also an insult to Islam. We know Isa(as) is a very beloved Prophet(PBUH) and that it is wrong to depict a Prophet(PBUT) in any derogatory manner and forbidden to make images of them.

I don't know about you, but I feel we were ridiculed just as much if not more than the Christians were.
    Chocolate Jesus

Herman 1 - Chocolate Jesus

chat Quote

ژاله's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^yeah you are right!
    chat Quote

lyesh's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree with you bro woodrow! That's our prophet, and it's an insult to Islam!
    Chocolate Jesus

lYeSh
    chat Quote

samah12's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What did the director mean "strong arming from people that haven't seen the show". Does he think we need to actually see this to know it is inappropriate and offensive.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by samah12 View Post
    What did the director mean "strong arming from people that haven't seen the show". Does he think we need to actually see this to know it is inappropriate and offensive.
    Sister,

That is how I understand it.

Somethings I don't think we have to experience personally to disagree with.

Speaking for myself I have never stuck my tongue in an electrical outlet , but I still would advise people not to do so.
    Chocolate Jesus

Herman 1 - Chocolate Jesus

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Sister,

That is how I understand it.

Somethings I don't think we have to experience personally to disagree with.

Speaking for myself I have never stuck my tongue in an electrical outlet , but I still would advise people not to do so.
    LOL brother. Well really we are not children, the world has gone completely mad.

by the way I tried sticking my tongue in an electric socket once and I wouldn't recommend it
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

People these days! No respect!

format_quote Originally Posted by akulion View Post
    "They would never dare do something similar with a chocolate statue of the Prophet Mohammed naked with his genitals exposed during Ramadan."
    As if a loin clothe makes much difference in the first place.

Umm... I'm a little confused, are they offended by the nudity only, or that fact it was made of chocolate too?
    Chocolate Jesus

wwwislamicboardcom - Chocolate Jesus
    chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    what a waste of chocolate!
    seriously, i see no merit in this type of "art" - it can only hurt and offend.

I agree. I was obvious, or at least should have been, that a great many people would see this offensive. Totally unnecessary.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You know this reminds me of insults that Querish used to give to Prophet Mohammed PBUH... they used to call him something derogatory which I shan't mention here but is a derivative of the word Mohammed... When the people would ask Prophet Mohammed PBUH.. what he or they should do, he'd say-- they are Mocking someone named (********) Alhmdlilah that isn't me!...

And so by the same token I say... this isn't Jesus (PBUH)... it is some guy who wanted to make a chocolate statue and name him after Jesus... does he know what Jesus looks like? No...

Same thing with Prophet Mohamed Cartoons... They made derogatory toons of a man in a Sikh turban and called him Prophet Mohamed... any Muslim knows that, that description doesn't fit our beloved messenger. none of the traits they ascribed to him fit the bill... These people only do such acts because they know they'll get a reaction out of it... but ignore it and they die like their tasteless art....

my two cents
    Last edited by جوري; 04-01-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Chocolate Jesus

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Chocolate Jesus

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It seems that many "artists" these days know that very controversial pieces will get media attention.
    Chocolate Jesus

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    It seems that many "artists" these days know that very controversial pieces will get media attention.
    That's the problem Keltoi - it works. Who here would have heard of it unless it was offensive?

Let us be honest the artist would have been nuts to try the same thing with Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) because people know from experience that Muslims will not sit meekly by while Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) is insulted or indeed any Prophet (pbut).
    chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    You know this reminds me of insults that Querish used to give to Prophet Mohammed PBUH... they used to call him something derogatory which I shan't mention here but is a derivative of the word Mohammed... When the people would ask Prophet Mohammed PBUH.. what he or they should do, he'd say-- they are Mocking someone named (********) Alhmdlilah that isn't me!...

And so by the same token I say... this isn't Jesus (PBUH)... it is some guy who wanted to make a chocolate statue and name him after Jesus... does he know what Jesus looks like? No...

Same thing with Prophet Mohamed Cartoons... They made derogatory toons of a man in a Sikh turban and called him Prophet Mohamed... any Muslim knows that, that description doesn't fit our beloved messenger. none of the traits they ascribed to him fit the bill... These people only do such acts because they know they'll get a reaction out of it... but ignore it and they die like their tasteless art....
    my two cents
    good post.
    Chocolate Jesus

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Chocolate Jesus
    chat Quote

.:Umniyah:.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post

my two cents

Point taken. But in the end the insult kind of still stands. Regradless if the person or people are able to withstand it,and deal with it in a morally manner, what about the millions who take the "mockery" as what it was put out to be.

It's not the matter of the situation being truth or alshood but rather the mere intent of the intender. It's highly insultive. But then what can you expect in the big USA who gives everyone the free will to do whatever the hell they want, all in the name of demorcacy.

Only thing that gets to me is that i wish people would stand behind Islam and the muslims when we shout that something is wrong and offensive to us. You see all the respect in the world when it comes to christianity and any other off beat religion but never Islam.
    Im very sure that its millinos of people out there who couldnt see the fault or problem with this mans chocolate jesus, but that didnt stop the people from pulling his exhibit out of the show. Which is normally the case when its something christian or whatever. But never Islam.

As was like the example with how they so "coincidently" set Saddam Hussien to be hung on "Eid" . But yet and still no one seemed to be bothered that Muslims found that insultive and a very ignorant, and not to mention low blow. But thats life in this wicked world innit?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=.:Umniyah:.;701633]

Only thing that gets to me is that i wish people would stand behind Islam and the muslims when we shout that something is wrong and offensive to us. You see all the respect in the world when it comes to christianity and any other off beat religion but never Islam.
    QUOTE]

Forgive me sister, I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I don't see how you can say "but never Islam". Because of the complaints (and I do not agree with violent protest) by Muslims a lot of countries have woken up to the fact that Muslims will not allow or accept their faith to be mocked or insulted.

I agree the freedom of speach in USA is overboard and I have no intention of defending it but if you want to stop freedom of speach where would you draw the line? Would it one day become wrong for a child to say that batman stinks?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    .:Umniyah:.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=samah12;701653]
    format_quote Originally Posted by .:Umniyah:. View Post

QUOTE]

Forgive me sister, I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I don't see how you can say "but never Islam". Because of the complaints (and I do not agree with violent protest) by Muslims a lot of countries have woken up to the fact that Muslims will not allow or accept their faith to be mocked or insulted.

I agree the freedom of speach in USA is overboard and I have no intention of defending it but if you want to stop freedom of speach where would you draw the line? Would it one day become wrong for a child to say that batman stinks?
    Well this very forum is bascially freedom of speech ..correct? so of course im not prompting that freedom of speech be stopped completely. Only there are boundaries and guidelines to EVErything in life. If you want to speak, speak with kindness,love care and compassion. If you want to advise , advise with thoughfulness, sincerity and love. Just like Islam teaches us. People are so far gone from these basic aspects of "speech" it just slightly anonys me.

and as for the Muslims protestes, im sure you dont agree with violenece, but that is kind of my point, We cant just "open" our mouths and say "hay we dont think thats right" we have to go to extremes of stressing our point. Or in other words we arent regonized , or regraded enough for it to just be offensive and they take note, we have to "Show" them its offensive and then they think about if they agree.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Chocolate Jesus Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Chocolate Jesus