× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 101 visibility 8323

Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

'We Gathered Intelligence'

The captain in charge of the 15 marines detained in Iran has said they were gathering intelligence on the Iranians.

Sky News went on patrol with Captain Chris Air and his team in Iraqi waters close to the area where they were arrested - just five days before the crisis began.

We withheld the interview until now so it would not jeopardise their safety.

And today, former Iranian diplomat Dr Mehrdad Khonsari said if the Iranians had known about it, they would have used it to "justify taking the marines captive and put them on trial".

Captain Air and his team were on an 'Interaction Patrol' where their patrol boats came alongside fishing dhows.

The operation was mainly to investigate arms smuggling and terrorism but Captain Air said it was also to gain intelligence on Iranian activity.

1520327 - Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

He told Sky Correspondent Jonathan Samuels: "Basically we speak to the crew, find out if they have any problems, let them know we're here to protect them, protect their fishing and stop any terrorism and piracy in the area," he said.

"Secondly, it's to gather int (intelligence). If they do have any information, because they're here for days at a time, they can share it with us.

"Whether it's about piracy or any sort of Iranian activity in the area. Obviously we're right by the buffer zone with Iran."

The UK Defence Secretary Des Browne told Sky News it was important to gather intelligence to "keep our people safe".

He said: "Modern military operations all have an element of gathering intelligence.

"We need to understand as much as we can about the environment we operate in and intelligence gathering is an every day part of that."

He added: "The UN mandate would clearly empower the military taskforce to gather information about the environment in which they were working."

Captain Air said that fishing dhows had been robbed by Iranian soldiers on a number of occasions.

"It's good to gather int on the Iranians," he said.

Fifteen sailors and marines were taken captive nearly two weeks ago after the Iranian government claimed they had strayed into their waters.

1520225 - Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...259413,00.html

2. Report bad ads?
    Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

Hmmm... I can hardly see Military Intelligence getting over-excited about "Iranian soldiers steal fish".

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LOL^ funny

Well...I knew the Iranians weren't just being paranoid fools.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble View Post
    Hmmm... I can hardly see Military Intelligence getting over-excited about "Iranian soldiers steal fish".
    LOL!

6. Report bad ads?
    AvarAllahNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

HAHA - They have sod all now as Iran has all this info. - I told you they were in Itanian waters but you choose to believe a liar who runs the country. Shame on you....

Ėk Gusā Alhu Mėrā
    The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.

Dhan Guru Arjan Dev Mahraaj Ji!

Kal Meh Bėḏ Atharbaṇ Hū Nā Kẖuḏā Alhu Bẖa.
    In the Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Atharva Veda became prominent; Allah became the Name of God.

Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Mahraaj Ji!

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor View Post
    HAHA - They have sod all now as Iran has all this info. - I told you they were in Itanian waters but you choose to believe a liar who runs the country. Shame on you....
    Do you have reading problems?
    Obviously we're right by the buffer zone with Iran."

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor View Post
    You're wrong... they were in Iraqi waters... haha... shame on YOU!

Oh and by the way Iran doesn't have info. They didn't even know the troops were spying on them The intelligence has more than likely been passed to the MOD.
    Last edited by England; 04-05-2007 at 10:40 PM.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well...in fairness, it does go both ways. The Iranians now know that Able Rate Tunney smokes and has a child back home.

Over all, I would say the Brits won this one. Their Sailors and Marines got all those fine, custom-tailored Iranian suits with carboard in the lapels.

Plus...they got to eat all the yummy Persian food (which they enjoyed with unusual gusto on the video )

PS..gathering intel on a potential enemy is not an act of war. In fact, it would fall under the task assigned them by the Iraqi government.
    Last edited by Cognescenti; 04-06-2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: I am verbose

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti View Post
    Well...in fairness, it does go both ways. The Iranians now know that Able Rate Tunney smokes and has a child back home.

Over all, I would say the Brits won this one. Their Sailors and Marines got all those fine, custom-tailored Iranian suits with carboard in the lapels.

Plus...they got to eat all the yummy Persian food (which they enjoyed with unusual gusto on the video )
    Yeah, they were eating like they were at a 5 star eating establishment.

I don't think anybody gained much from this episode, which makes it all the more perplexing.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

12. Report bad ads?
    Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti View Post
    Over all, I would say the Brits won this one.
    Won what? If anything they have showed the word that they are bunch of pathetic lying scum.

wwwislamicboardcom - Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    Won what? If anything they have showed the word that they are bunch of pathetic lying scum.
    Care to expand on that?

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No. Would you?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    Two big cleansing breaths....oooonnnne.....twooooo....Excellent! Now, I want you to imagine you are in a gently swaying hammock suspended under two palms trees on a white sand beach...gentle waves lap the shore and a cooling breeze...............

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If not the world, then at least me. Now why don't you go back to your own palm trees.

18. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

iran says one thing, u.k. says another - how are any of us ever going to know the truth?
    and now, thank god, it doesn't really matter because it has been settled without blood shed.
    i'm just thankful it was a british ship and not an american one, cuz i think the brits are a little more sensible.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    iran says one thing, u.k. says another - how are any of us ever going to know the truth?
    and now, thank god, it doesn't really matter because it has been settled without blood shed.
    i'm just thankful it was a british ship and not an american one, cuz i think the brits are a little more sensible.
    You are probably correct in that the U.S. would not have allowed their sailors to be taken captive in the first place. I'm not sure which approach is more "sensible", but it is good that no blood needed to be shed to secure their release.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    I am inclined to believe that the timing was non-accidental and was linked to the UN sanctions vote. In that case either you have to assume the Brits were habitually violating the boundary (and Iran just picked a convenient time) OR Iran nabbed them on the Iraqi side.

It is also not an accident it was a group of British Sailors and not Americans. It is clear to me from the accidental shootdown of the Iranian airliner several years ago (1988) by the USS Vincennes (in the middle of a battle with the Iranian Navy) that USN vessels don't have to call Washington for permission to shoot when engaged by Iran. I suspect the Iranians know this.

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

you may be right, cog. but i don't really feel a need to believe either the brits or the iranians.
    as for sanctions, i think they are horrible and inhumane - they never punish the rulers and their cronies - it's the people who suffer.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran

deen_2007's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hmm...wonder whats going to happen now? overall the british government have dug their own grave now! ... they think their clever & wOn this ?!? WEL...lets see

24. Report bad ads?
    AvarAllahNoor's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Sikhism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    You are probably correct in that the U.S. would not have allowed their sailors to be taken captive in the first place. .
    No, they would just take 444 days to get anyone out.... US - eless or what....

That is what they stand for...
    Last edited by AvarAllahNoor; 04-06-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Ėk Gusā Alhu Mėrā
    The One Lord, the Lord of the World, is my God Allah.

Dhan Guru Arjan Dev Mahraaj Ji!

Kal Meh Bėḏ Atharbaṇ Hū Nā Kẖuḏā Alhu Bẖa.
    In the Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Atharva Veda became prominent; Allah became the Name of God.

Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Mahraaj Ji!

26. Hide
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Breaking News: We gathered Intelligence on Iran