× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Which religion would interest you (to embrace), if you were not set in your way

Voters
27. Login to vote on this poll
  • Muslim

4 14.81%
  • Christian

1 3.70%
  • Jewish

0 0%
  • Buddhist

4 14.81%
  • Zoroastrian

0 0%
  • Hindu

0 0%
  • Sabian

0 0%
  • Shinto

0 0%
  • Sikh

1 3.70%
  • I just want to see the Poll results

17 62.96%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 63 visibility 8929

which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

From what you have learned on comparative-- which religion would you subscribe to, if you weren't already set in your ways...
    what appeals to you the most about it? and why?
    What is standing in your way from becoming a fully practicing member?

peace!
    Last edited by جوري; 05-06-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

I assume what you mean, a belief other than what they believe. In other words if they had to choose a believe other than what they believe today, which would they find to be the most compelling.

For example I am Muslim. I will die Muslim. but if for some reason Islam no longer existed and I had to choose a belief other than Islam which would it be?

Am I understanding you correctly?

Herman 1 - which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That is exactly what I mean-- yes.. I notice some of our dear members seem knowledgeable in various religions.... yet don't subscribe to any.. and so I wondered what religion would they subscribe to if they weren't set and comfortable in just being agnostics or theists and why it appeals to them over others.. BTW just for all members to see the poll results akhi would you mind adding one more stating (I just want to see the poll results)? lol

thank you

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i honestly can't say because i can't imagine choosing any religion. i've never belonged to one and i basically don't care for organized religion, or see its neccessity.
    having said that, there is much that i like in judaism and islam. i like the fact that they are monotheistic (because i am). i like the way there is constant awareness of god as you go about your daily activities. i like the fact that both religions speak to the spirit as well as to the intellect and both emphasize learning ove dumb obedience. i like the way both are very much an entire way of life.
    since i have been on this forum, i have learned a lot about islam and the more i've learned the more interesting it is.
    there are also many things i like about sikhism.
    but i am reasonably sure that i will die what i have always been - an agnostic. i don't think you need to have a religion to worship god.
    what keeps me from being a member?
    mainly because i see no need to be.
    both use fear of punishment and promise of reward as motivation and i don't like that. also personally, i don't believe in an afterlife because nothing in my experience has indicated its existence. i base my beliefs on my own personal experience. if i did believe in it, i could not imagine that only if you belonged to a specific religion would you gain entrance in to paradise, as held by islam. (a well as christianity).
    i also don't like the fact that islam, like christianity, claims to be The One and Only Truth and is a proselytizing religion. i find that rather arrogant and offensive in itself.
    altho i must say that muslims are much, much less aggressive about it!
    oh! and i could never join a religion that believed that music was sinful and evil, since music is one of the things that has brought me closer to god.
    p.s. i also like a number of things about sikhism.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think for those of us who are reverts, our choice would be that we reverted from. As most of us were quite comfortable in our former beliefs and reverted only because we found the truth, not because our former belief was shown to be wrong.

Immediatly prior to reverting I was an Agnostic, who followed the basic life philosophy of Buddhism for almost 40 years. Prior to that for about 25 years I was Christian.

So to work backward I would say that if Islam had not found me I would be Buddhist.

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think the difference between someone who believes in G-D and someone who believes in G-D but subscribes to a religion is really in the rituals preformed out of love for the creator and to give constant daily thanks... Many Agnostics I have no doubt and have known quite a few give to charity.. the difference I find is in whom you pledge it to. I am sure everyone gets some satisfaction and sense of fulfillment perhaps some do it to show off (Hollywood) crowd since they are constantly rubbing it in our face ... but to me there is a deeper connection and satisfaction knowing you have fulfilled an obligation as mandated by G-D... Anyhow that is my view given the many yrs I have spent not practicing-- then one day thinking... since I believe in G-D how am I showing it?

thanks everyone-- I appreciate the feedback

peace

barney's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Bhuddism. It's about the development of the self and dosn't need a deitey. It both teaches and practices peace. It's scriptures dont need to be followed, you have to understand yourself, not convoluted messages wrapped in ancient politics. You can leave when you want without getting stoned to death or excommunicated to "hell".
    It dosnt have fiery brimstone or shirts of pitch, It's based on the teachings of a man who diddnt say he was talking for the creator of the universe, which to me is a streach. Theres literally no compulsion in it, it promotes freedom of beleif and dosnt claim its the best or that its followers are super-people and others misguided or "hell"bound. It's not even a religion.

Why dont i practice it? Well it's a lot of bother to try and learn a way of learning about myself and the world. I'm doing that just fine without dogma, doctrine or guidence that I dont seek myself. Plus , I know that at some point i'd find some ruddy great loophole in it and know i'd wasted years or decades of my life.

I dont have a personal relationship with a creator at the moment, i think he'd find me terribly boring and have a lot better things to do.

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005
    Liberation:when something or someone is freed: Operation Telic 2003

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu Alaikum

I asked the athiests/agnostics I've known the same thing and some of them said buddhism and others have said wicca (sp?). Those who said buddhism liked the aspects of peace in its teachings.

fi aman Allah
    w'salaam

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Bhuddism. It's about the development of the self and dosn't need a deitey. It both teaches and practices peace. It's scriptures dont need to be followed,.
    What is the point of practicing a religion if its scriptures don't need to be followed? We can all be bad at our respective religions by not following (we'll just be whatever by name and not practice)--lol--I am sorry... I shouldn't have included ideologies-- My bad!
    thanks for your response though!

peace!

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LOL. I put bhuddism because it's on the list. it isnt actually a religion, just a way of life.

I cant follow any scripture because they all claim to have been divinely guided.
    Bhuddism is way ahead in the poll, so i imagine other agnostics feel the same too.

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma* View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

I asked the athiests/agnostics I've known the same thing and some of them said buddhism and others have said wicca (sp?). Those who said buddhism liked the aspects of peace in its teachings.

fi aman Allah
    w'salaam
    wiccans --akh...the mother of all paganism and witchery-- yes I have known quite a few... was popular back in my teenage yrs to dye your hair purple and not subscribe yourself to anything lame like "organized religion"

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LOL. I put bhuddism because it's on the list. it isnt actually a religion, just a way of life.

I cant follow any scripture because they all claim to have been divinely guided.
    And why is being divinely guided so bothersome to you? Where else could these (5) books have come from?
    peace!

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    And why is being divinely guided so bothersome to you? Where else could these (5) books have come from?
    peace!
    People.

( of course that wont make any sense to a beleiver....but divine messages dont make any sense to me!)

It's bothersome because i've seen the damage religion can do. i know that it offers millions some comfort, but on balance it really isnt worth the cost.
    Last edited by barney; 05-06-2007 at 03:22 AM.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

OOOps, I hate to bring this up. i just realised that by allowing theists to vote on this poll the poll is skewed to be against theists as we are in essence directing our votes against what we believe. I believe this would be more telling if the poll was limited to Agnostics and atheists and to kick us with a theistic belief off of the poll.

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

prove that the books actually just the Quran for now since I don't want to make this too broad a topic... it is a sincere request... If someone told me Shakespeare's work wasn't really his but Bacon's.. I could buy it if they'd prove it to me... a great deal of why I am a Muslim is because of the Quran.. I simply can't explain it... I struggled with where it came from for years, and then finally had to concede my surrender given what I know of Arabic.

peace!

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma* View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

fi aman Allah
    w'salaam
    there is indeed much that is Sensible in buddhism and for most of my life, that would've been my pick for sure.

question authority

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Woody..just add a "unspecified" option to the poll?

Ambrosia, For me the onus of proof for a religion lies with it's ability to prove it is divinely sent, not on the agnostic to prove it isnt!

To prove it's human-based is , (I beleive) possible but involves a discussion that would not be allowable on these forums as it requires explaination that would contradict forum rules. if you wanted to PM me , I would be happy to debate further, but I know from long discussions with people of many faiths that their Faith acts as a limiter on examination by rationalism.

Regards & peace

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    I think the difference between someone who believes in G-D and someone who believes in G-D but subscribes to a religion is really in the rituals preformed out of love for the creator and to give constant daily thanks... Many Agnostics I have no doubt and have known quite a few give to charity.. the difference I find is in whom you pledge it to. I am sure everyone gets some satisfaction and sense of fulfillment perhaps some do it to show off (Hollywood) crowd since they are constantly rubbing it in our face ... but to me there is a deeper connection and satisfaction knowing you have fulfilled an obligation as mandated by G-D... Anyhow that is my view given the many yrs I have spent not practicing-- then one day thinking... since I believe in G-D how am I showing it?

thanks everyone-- I appreciate the feedback

peace
    you are making an assumption here. an agnostic who believes in god, but not religion can indeed do things with intent, as well as give thanks to god.

question authority

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ambrosia, For me the onus of proof for a religion lies with it's ability to prove it is divinely sent, not on the agnostic to prove it isnt!

To prove it's human-based is , (I beleive) possible but involves a discussion that would not be allowable on these forums as it requires explaination that would contradict forum rules. if you wanted to PM me , I would be happy to debate further, but I know from long discussions with people of many faiths that their Faith acts as a limiter on examination by rationalism.

Regards & peace
    I actually would welcome a debate for all openly to see so long as it is your own work and not borrowed from some site... I might not be able to answer all your questions but we certainly have a scholar or two who are excellent with history and refutations...

Lastly since you attested that all religions are human written and man made, I think it would be incumbent upon you to prove it... you can't just make sweeping generalizations and expect them to take affect just because you said so?!

peace!

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Regards & peace
    religion can neither be proved or disproved. it requires no "proof" tho i know many here disagree.

question authority

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?) Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. which religion ( for Agnostics and theists-- eh maybe Atheists?)