× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Is supporting nationalism also supporting extremism?

Voters
27. Login to vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 48.15%
  • No

14 51.85%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 56 visibility 5568

Is being nationalistic also being extremist?

noodles's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

I want your thoughts on this subject matter.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Is being nationalistic also being extremist?

What do you mean with 'extremism'?
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Is being nationalistic also being extremist?

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    What do you mean with 'extremism'?

Good question.

wwwislamicboardcom - Is being nationalistic also being extremist?
    chat Quote

noodles's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extremism

ex·trem·ism /ɪkˈstrimɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ik-stree-miz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    a tendency or disposition to go to extremes or an instance of going to extremes, esp. in political matters: leftist extremism; the extremism of the Nazis.

ex·trem·ist (ĭk-strē'mĭst) Pronunciation Key
    n. One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.
    and by nationalistic, I mean willing to die for one's country. (being patriotic)

[forgive me I'm not much fluent in English and therefore am trying to find the proper words to express my understanding]
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

and by nationalistic, I mean willing to die for one's country. (being patriotic)

[forgive me I'm not much fluent in English and therefore am trying to find the proper words to express my understanding]
    There's nothing wrong with wanted to die for your country. I would expect the majority of British people to die for their country in Britain's time of need. I wouldn't expect people to join the army to fight a stupid little war to give people "a better life" in a country I couldn't give a toss about.

But if their country was being invaded then by force I would expect many would die for their country just as they were preparing to do had the Germans landed on British soil. Britons are fighters, warriors. There's that Viking, Anglo-Saxon blood in us.
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Is being nationalistic also being extremist?

Nationalism has caused just about every major war in recorded history.

wwwislamicboardcom - Is being nationalistic also being extremist?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

Religion causes wars. As I said I expect anyone in this country die for their country in its time of need. The United Kingdom is a fortress.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nationalism is a religion as well. You worship your land, you live or die for it just as the faith bound people do. You will do anything for your religion (coutry). Religion is safer as it only wants to increase number of members, where as nationalism wants to increase its amount of land.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama View Post
    Nationalism is a religion as well. You worship your land, you live or die for it just as the faith bound people do. You will do anything for your religion (coutry). Religion is safer as it only wants to increase number of members, where as nationalism wants to increase its amount of land.
    Um... nope you're wrong. I'm a nationalist and I don't want anymore land. This land I'm living on is the only piece of land I am particularly interested in. If anyone tries to take over our land then we should protect it, this is OUR home, our people and our country.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Abdul Fattah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The answer to nationalism:

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). 49:13

Check out my website for my conversion story.
    Check out my free e-book if you like reading drama-novels.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

To some extent each and every person will be nationalistic. no matter where you live if a common enemy where to invade and threaten to destroy your home, kill your family and impression every body. You would probably take up arms against them and be willing to die to keep the invaders out. That would be nationalistic, but I doubt if it would be extreme.

On the other hand a person can live in a country, hate the country for whatever reason he chooses and decide to wage his own personal war against his own country. That would not be nationalistic, but it would be extremism.

So depending on the situation and the conditions either answer would be correct.

Herman 1 - Is being nationalistic also being extremist?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah View Post

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). 49:13

Also this

The Prophet said: 'There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for a non-Arab over an Arab, nor for a fair-skinned person over a person with dark skin, nor for a dark-skinned person over a person with fair skin. Whoever is more pious and God-fearing is more deserving of honour.' (Musnad Ahmad)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There are no extreme nationalists. Extremists have hijacked the true meaning of nationalism. I wish the media would stop portraying extremists as nationalists.

Nationalism is really an outgrowth of tribalism which is an outgrowth of filial attachments which are dictated by our biology. It is in our brains. It is intrinsic for us to divide ourselves as "us" vs "them". Lions and Chimps and Gorillas do it too, they are simply not as adept at forming larger organizations. It takes conscious effort on our part to resist this pull.

Of course, people divide themselves by other measures, as well (ethnicity, language, physical alikeness, religion, political belief). It is unusual for for national identity to trump ethnicity in a stable fashion , for eg., when an ethnic group is cohesive geographically.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by England View Post
    Um... nope you're wrong. I'm a nationalist and I don't want anymore land. This land I'm living on is the only piece of land I am particularly interested in. If anyone tries to take over our land then we should protect it, this is OUR home, our people and our country.
    you have the right to your land, and to protect your home, your people and yoru country, and so do iraqis, afghans, palestiniasn who are fighting the occupation of their land. You are happy with your land but your leaders aren't, they colonized the world once and now they are going back again and democracy means nothing if people can't even stop them.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Abdul Fattah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    To some extent each and every person will be nationalistic. no matter where you live if a common enemy where to invade and threaten to destroy your home, kill your family and impression every body. You would probably take up arms against them and be willing to die to keep the invaders out. That would be nationalistic, but I doubt if it would be extreme.

On the other hand a person can live in a country, hate the country for whatever reason he chooses and decide to wage his own personal war against his own country. That would not be nationalistic, but it would be extremism.

So depending on the situation and the conditions either answer would be correct.
    What does that have to do with nationalism? the reason one would attack the invadors is to protect the weak and offended, not because teh invaders have a different nationality. Because if it were people of teh same nationality doing this I think the chance of me picking up arms against an offender is equally great. To me nationality would have nothing to do with it.

Check out my website for my conversion story.
    Check out my free e-book if you like reading drama-novels.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post

The problem is. 'Nationalism' is an ideology, 'extremism' is merely a position within an ideology. That makes the question a bit nonsensical.

If you are a nationalist extremist, you are indeed being extremist because you take a black or white approach to the nation. Extreme nationalists are very exclusive, they are aggressive towards other nations and make it harder (if not impossible) for other people to join their nation. More moderate nationalists are more open to others outside of the nation.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

Nationalism is just one of the many ideologies that cultivate the 'us' vs 'them' mindset. Not unlike many religions, like Judaism and Islam.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah View Post

I've said this about 10 times on this forum already, but I think it is worth repeating . Islam is not against nationalism, it is only against nationalism based on anything but Islam. What else is this whole concept of the 'Ummah' ruled as an 'Islamic state' for the 'Muslim people'? Give me one characteristic of nationalism that is not also present in Islam.
    chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu Alaikum

as far as I know, nationalism isn't even allowed...

Nationalism does nothing but cause more separation. Nationalism is pride of one's country and pride belongs only to Allah subhana wa ta'ala, so there's no need for us to have nationalism especially when our ummah is in its worst state because of disunity.

"Leave it. It is Rotten" [Bukhari & Muslim] refers to all forms of Asabiyah, nationalism, racism, and patriotism.

Grouping the Muslims on tribalistic lines is clearly forbidden. It is narrated by Abu Daud that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said, "He is not one us who calls for `Asabiyah, (nationalism/tribalism) or who fights for `Asabiyah or who dies for `Asabiyah."

" ...People should give up their pride in nations because this is a coal from the coals of hell-fire. If they do not give this up Allah (swt) will consider them lower than a lowly worm which pushes itself through khur (feces)." [Abu Dawd and Tirmidhi].

You can do a google search on it. Here's some more evidence though:
    http://www.islamic-world.net/islamic-state/evidence.htm

fi aman Allah
    wa'alaikum asalaam

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    ..... Give me one characteristic of nationalism that is not also present in Islam.

...soccer hooligans

...partisanship among judges in Olympic gymnastics scoring

...haggling over fishing rights :X
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Is being nationalistic also being extremist? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Is being nationalistic also being extremist?