/Peace To All

The Islamic History Of Europe

A) Muslims In Spain:

The following is an excellent BBC documentary:

Part-1 (44:28)

Media Tags are no longer supported

Part-2 (44:28)
    Sicily then Paris

In the last part of the film in Part 2, Rageh Omer travels to Paris to trace the influence of Islam on the intellectual revival of Europe

In the 13th. century, 2 centuries before the European Renaissance, the writings of Ibn Rushd (Averreos) reached Paris and sparked a great debate and introduced new ideas which were opposed by the Catholic church

He meets Dr. George Saliba (Professor of Arabic and Islamic Science at Colombia University) at the Institut du Monde Arabe who gives a presentation on Muslim scientists and their impact on Europe

B) When The Moors Ruled In Europe:

Part-1 (9:38)

Part-2 (9:43)

Part-3 (9:31)

Part-4 (9:57)

Part-5 (9:10)

Part-6 (9:46)

Part-7 (9:19)

Part-8 (9:59)

Part-9 (9:39)

Part-10 (9:06)

Part-11 (6:06)

C) "The Muslim Influence on Europe and the West:"

By Abdal Hakim Murad

Purchase the full-length lecture at http://www.MeccaCentric.com
    Or call 1-800-607-9810

In his final address to the non-Muslim participants of the New Mexico educational retreat, Abdal Hakim looks at the other aspects of the long-standing historical interaction of the three Abrahamic faiths, such as the transmission of science, technology, and philosophical ideas from the Islamic world to the Western world.

Islam in the middle ages was a very successful commercial and material civilization and this fact combined with the Muslim's strategic geographic positions allowed for such a profound influence and contribution.

The speaker looks at the economic/cultural/scientific contributions in the areas of maritine navigation and exploration, agriculture, music, poetry, mathematics, astronomy, medicine, chemistry, and much more.

(Recorded at the Dar al Islam Teachers' Institute seminar).

(17:41)

D) Muslim Cordoba:

This Islam On Line article on the city should of interest:

The Invasion
    The Mezquita
    The Legacy of Cordoba
    A Symbol of Prosperity, Diversity, and Tolerance
    The Beginning or the End?

Source for The Above information: IslamOnLine

E) Further Sources:

AFP. "Controversial London Sale of Spanish Mosque Beams Withdrawn '

Coates, Ken. "The Cordoba Seminar on Peace and Human Rights in Europe and the Middle East"

Gedal, Najib. "The Great Mosque of Cordoba: A Geometrical Analysis."

Guichard,P. "Cordoba the Magnificent."

Kubisch,N. "The Great Mosque of Cordoba."

Menocal. M. R. "Culture in the Time of Tolerance."

Menocal. M. R. "The Culture of Translation."

Menocal. M. R. "The Literature of Al-Andalus."

Phyun5. "The Middle Ages."

Sills, Ben. "Cathedral May See Return of Muslims." Apr. 19, 2004.

United Press International (UPI). "Rare Mosque Beams Pulled from Auction." Apr. 4, 2006.

Wikipedia "Cordoba, Spain"

Wikipedia "Mezquita"

Source:
    http://freethoughtmanifesto.blogspot...of-europe.html

Last edited by Zman; 07-04-2007 at 09:41 PM.

2. Report bad ads?
    sudais1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~

Amazing

Zman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sudais1 View Post
    Amazing

Yes it is.

I've read that quite a few Catholic Spaniards are beginning to explore their Islamic past...

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Systematically written out of history is so very true... but we'll get it back Insha'Allah!
    ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~

6. Report bad ads?
    Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you talk about islamic history in Europe dont forget about Osman Empire that occupied for few hundred years- Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Hungary, Armenia, Bosnia, Greece, Cyprus. Also we shall mention the first genocide that hapenned when Osmans killed 1,5 millions Armenians in the beginning of XX century. Also bloody attacks of Tatars and Turks on eastern and central Europe and thousands of people taken as slaves in yassir. If you talk about Al Andaluz, dont forget ro remind that Arabs came to Spain as occupants and invadors. Arabs would probably conquere all Western Europe in medieval unless Karol Martens didnt beat them in France. BTW Turkey is still occupying Cyprus, but no one cares.

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You are right no one cares of your Jejune accounts of history... But as usual we were expecting more of your acid feedback... It won't change what was and what is meant to be however, so yammer on!

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    If you talk about islamic history in Europe dont forget about Osman Empire that occupied for few hundred years- Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Hungary, Armenia, Bosnia, Greece, Cyprus. Also we shall mention the first genocide that hapenned when Osmans killed 1,5 millions Armenians in the beginning of XX century. Also bloody attacks of Tatars and Turks on eastern and central Europe and thousands of people taken as slaves in yassir. If you talk about Al Andaluz, dont forget ro remind that Arabs came to Spain as occupants and invadors. Arabs would probably conquere all Western Europe in medieval unless Karol Martens didnt beat them in France. BTW Turkey is still occupying Cyprus, but no one cares.
    I'm not so sure Muslim kingdoms would have conquered all of Western Europe. Spain and places in Eastern Europe, which were more easily accessible to the Turks or Arabs, meaning a secure supply line and no enemies behind, were one thing. When you get into Germany, to some extent France, England, Ireland, and Scandanavia, you have a much more warlike and hard to subdue people. Especially in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Scandanavia. Of course with the conquest of Spain and the Byzantine Empire they obtained a necessary foothold in the region...so I suppose anything is possible. How Martens managed that feat I will never understand. He keeps us from knowing how that tale might have ended.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    You are right no one cares of your Jejune accounts of history... But as usual we were expecting more of your acid feedback... It won't change what was and what is meant to be however, so yammer on!
    Truth hurts. Because muslims didnt come to Europe without sword and fire. Learn some history and you will see. My own country has few hundred years tradition with defending its lands against Osmans and Tatars invadors.
    BTW if i said something not true, so please tell me what was not true and correct me.
    Last edited by Amadeus85; 07-05-2007 at 05:27 PM.

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    I'm not so sure Muslim kingdoms would have conquered all of Western Europe. Spain and places in Eastern Europe, which were more easily accessible to the Turks or Arabs, meaning a secure supply line and no enemies behind, were one thing. When you get into Germany, to some extent France, England, Ireland, and Scandanavia, you have a much more warlike and hard to subdue people. Especially in England, Ireland, Scotland, and Scandanavia. Of course with the conquest of Spain and the Byzantine Empire they obtained a necessary foothold in the region...so I suppose anything is possible. How Martens managed that feat I will never understand. He keeps us from knowing how that tale might have ended.
    The Battle of Tours (October 10, 732), also called Battle of Poitiers and in Arabic بلاط الشهداء (Balâṭ al-Shuhadâ’) The Court of Martyrs[6] was fought near the city of Tours, close to the border between the Frankish realm and then-independent Aquitaine. The battle pitted Frankish and Burgundian[7][8] forces under Austrasian Mayor of the Palace Charles Martel against an army of the Umayyad Caliphate led by ‘Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, Governor-general of al-Andalus. The Franks were victorious, ‘Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi was killed, and Martel subsequently extended his authority in the south. Ninth-century chroniclers, who interpreted the outcome of the battle as divine judgment in his favour, gave Charles the nickname Martellus ("The Hammer"), possibly recalling Judas Maccabeus ("The Hammerer") of the Maccabean revolt.[9][10] Details of the battle, including its exact location and the exact number of combatants, cannot be determined from accounts that have survived.[11]

As later chroniclers praised Charles Martel as the champion of Christianity, pre-20th century historians began to characterize this battle as being the decisive turning point in the struggle against Islam. "Most of the 18th and 19th century historians, like Gibbon, saw Poitiers (Tours), as a landmark battle that marked the high tide of the Muslim advance into Europe."[12] Leopold Von Ranke felt that "Poitiers was the turning point of one of the most important epochs in the history of the world." [13]

While modern historians are divided as to whether or not the victory was responsible — as Gibbon and his generation of historians claimed — for saving Christianity and halting the conquest of Europe by Islam, the battle helped lay the foundations of the Carolingian Empire and Frankish domination of Europe for the next century. "The establishment of Frankish power in western Europe shaped that continent's destiny and the Battle of Tours confirmed that power."[14]
    Franks were badly outnumbered at the onset of battle by at least 2-1

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Truth hurts. Because muslims didnt come to Europe without sword and fire. Learn some history and you will see. My own country has few hundred years tradition with defending its lands against Osmans and Tatars invadors.
    BTW if i said something not true, so please tell me what was not true and correct me.
    The truth would hurt if there was in fact truths in it. But yours is the account of a cultist indoctrinated in some medieval beliefs which he doesn't want to shake off, Sort of like the gentleman above speaking of the outrage of taking a bath in medieval Europe and how it is incompatible with Christianity and casting aside those who bathed as magicians . A clean mind and body I suppose is in fact incompatible with Christianity still? it is all what you wish to be true , but in fact your Christian history pales so severely in comparison to the wonders of the Muslim empire. And thankfully though Europeans admitted to the burning of all Muslim literature in Spain, many are piecing together, this fantastic history, and yours will remain the opinion of an unschooled boy, with a temper tantrum ...I can understand how that would raise in you feelings of indignation inferiority ...but from that point on is really not worthy of a response. I have grown tired of your posts and they have lost all meaning over time... !
    have a great day!

guyabano's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I never saw any muslim in my country neither !

but we'll get it back Insha'Allah!
    What will you get back? The candy someone stole you ?
    Last edited by guyabano; 07-05-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Im Always Right,Its Like,When Im Right,Im Right,And When Im Wrong,I Could've Been Right,So Im Still Right,'Cause I Could've Been Wrong!

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The truth would hurt if there was in fact truths in it. But yours is the account of a cultist indoctrinated in some medieval beliefs which he doesn't want to shake off, Sort of like the gentleman above speaking of the outrage of taking a bath in medieval Europe and how it is incompatible with Christianity and casting aside those who bathed as magicians . A clean mind and body I suppose is in fact incompatible with Christianity still? it is all what you wish to be true , but in fact your Christian history pales so severely in comparison to the wonders of the Muslim empire. And thankfully though Europeans admitted to the burning of all Muslim literature in Spain, many are piecing together, this fantastic history, and yours will remain the opinion of an unschooled boy, with a temper tantrum ...I can understand how that would raise in you feelings of indignation inferiority ...but from that point on is really not worthy of a response. I have grown tired of your posts and they have lost all meaning over time... !
    have a great day!

Except of making such emotional post you should rather show me exactly where i said not truth and show me the truth, for example- Osmans came to Greece and Serbia not as invadors but as guests because Serbs and Greeks invited them or Tatars enslaved thousands of europeans only to raise them as philosophs and lawayers and then they sent them back or something like that.
    I say it again which my words are not true. I am a student of history. If i am wrong just correct me.

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano View Post

What will you get back?
    I understand you to be a little vexed from the previous post, where surprisingly you didn't get to have the last word for a change... perhaps you should take your own advise and just not reply to my usually "choleric posts".... Surely you can get your adrenaline from some other worthy activity?
    We'll get Europe back as Allah wills and when Allah wills ...We have three out of four thus far--

"You will invade the Arabian Peninsula and Allah will grant it (to you). Then (you will conquer) Persia and Allah will grant it (to you). Then, you will invade Ar-Rum and Allah will grant it (to you). Then, you will invade The Dajjal and Allah will grant him (to you)." Nafi' said to Jabir, "O Jabir! We do not believe that the Dajjal will appear until Ar-Rum is conquered."[Ibid., no. 2028]

The land of Ar-Rum is Europe and Rome is its heart. The Messenger of Allah gave us the good tidings that we will conquer Rome, the capital of Christendom today, after the Muslims conquered the first capital of Christendom, Constantinople.
    same Hadith different version!

"You will invade the Arabian Peninsula and God will grant it. Then Persia and God will grant it. Then you shall invade Ar-Rum (Europe) and God will grant it. Then you shall attack the Antichrist and God shall give him to you"The Messenger of God was then asked "which of the two cities will be conquered first - Constantinople or Rome?" and the Holy Prophet PBUH replied : " The city of Heraclius (Constantinople) will be conquered FIRST"
    peace!
    Last edited by جوري; 07-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

, but in fact your Christian history pales so severely in comparison to the wonders of the Muslim empire.
    Muslim great empire began and ended in medieval. It was 1 thousands year ago. Since then, we european barbarians created spaceships and reached the Moon. All technology that you are using now was made by people from Western civilization. Without us , people would still ride on horses or donkeys, and die from a flu.

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"You will invade the Arabian Peninsula and Allah will grant it (to you). Then (you will conquer) Persia and Allah will grant it (to you). Then, you will invade Ar-Rum and Allah will grant it (to you). Then, you will invade The Dajjal and Allah will grant him (to you)." Nafi' said to Jabir, "O Jabir! We do not believe that the Dajjal will appear until Ar-Rum is conquered."[Ibid., no. 2028]

The land of Ar-Rum is Europe and Rome is its heart. The Messenger of Allah gave us the good tidings that we will conquer Rome, the capital of Christendom today, after the Muslims conquered the first capital of Christendom, Constantinople.

peace!
    Yeah, first conquer and then peace. But its quite typical. Religion of peace.

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, first conquer and then peace. But its quite typical. Religion of peace.
    Quran mandates that we are to be good to POW's
    "They perform (their) vows, and they fear a Day Whose evil flies far and wide. And they feed, for the love of Allah, the indigent, the orphan, and the captive (prisoner of war) -- (Saying), 'We feed you For the sake of Allah alone: No reward do we desire from you, nor thanks.' (The Noble Quran, 76:7-9)"
    Does Christianity tell you to do to people what your soldiers did in Abu Gharib? it is Christian to make people naked and burn them with cigarettes for voyeuristic purposes?-- impose economic and political sanctions on them? I probably have to assume it does! But out mannerisms aren't yours and it is again visible to the naked eye!

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I understand you to be a little vexed from the previous post, where surprisingly you didn't get to have the last word for a change... perhaps you should take your own advise and just not reply to my usually "choleric posts".... Surely you can get your adrenaline from some other worthy activity?
    We'll get Europe back as Allah wills and when Allah wills ...We have three out of four thus far--

same Hadith different version!

peace!
    Wouldnt it make sense that Constantinople would be reached after Arabia and before Rome because of geographical reasons?

I for myself believe that Rome will never be Muslim, God willing. How can you get something back that you never had?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,
    format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
    We'll get Europe back as Allah wills and when Allah wills
    Just out of interest:

When, throughout the history of the world, has Europe been Muslim?

Peace

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Er... isn't this thread more about Islamic contributions to Europe rather than Islamic conquest of Europe? I think there's been a mix up somewhere.

Unless that place is me.

That sentence makes no sense.

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

I thought it was about the Islamic history of Europe...

Peace

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~ Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. ~ The Islamic History Of Europe ~