× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 50 visibility 5718

Question to our non-Muslim Friends

SATalha's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Ok we all know that this forum has many members all over the Globe and we also are fortunate to have non-Muslims hear as well. What i want to know is yur opinion of Islam and how you felt about Islam before the forum and how you feel now? Has this forum helped you understand Islam better? Has it removed any misconceptions? Or has your opinion of Islam become worse?

Inshallah use this thread to post your comments and opinions. I know we have some intellectual non-Muslims out there so contructive post's please. And most importantly be honest, if your opinion of Islam is realy low than dont be afraid to say so.

Our preperation continued, with our efforts and the efforts of our brothers, for years and years. Through out that time we gathered, observed and waited until the moment to move arrived.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    butterflylady's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Question to our non-Muslim Friends

I actually have a pretty good view of the religion, but I find this site off-putting because I see a fair amount of over the top hostility towards America, Christians, Hindus and Jews. Yes, I know that those groups can also have over the top hostility towards Muslims, but not to this extent.

For example I know that Jewish people did not blow up the World Trade Center, but I see many on this forum claiming that that is what happened. Really.

By the way I have had 21 years exposure to Muslim culture (three while living in a Muslim country), so I can speak with experience.
    chat Quote

Skywalker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is a good topic SATalha, mashaa-Allah. I've always wondered about that myself and am quite interested in hearing what the non-Muslim members of this forum think about the issue.

I have the best signature on this forum!
    chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hi,
    i did not have an unfavourable opinion of islam before i came here. i've been interested in islam since about '99, but on this forum i have learned that islam (like judaism) is a religion for both the intellect and the spirit. it has plenty of food for the intellect to keep a person busy their whole life and (again, like judaism) it causes the muslim to be conscious of god as he goes through daily life.
    i don't like everything i've learned here of course, but i wouldn't expect to either.
    also, you get a much better picture of reality "on the ground" by reading what people say is actually going on in their daily lives - an example that comes to mind was how right after the recent glasgow incident, some one shared how fast it went from being pretty safe to be muslim in scotland to no longer feeling safe, now there was hateful graffiti all over, etc. it sort of "brings it home" to read stuff like that, gives a new dimension to the realities behind the headlines, touches you on a human level.
    in general, my perception of islam really hasn't changed - i've just learned a lot more about it than i knew before.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Question to our non-Muslim Friends
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I guess I would say my feelings about Islam as a religion are good. Honestly though, I am often disturbed by the actions and rhetoric of many Muslims. Not necessarily on this forum, although there are few individuals who I don't believe portray Islam in a positive light here. Of course the Christian forum I used to frequent had many more bad apples than this one. What I mean is that if I were only to judge Muslims and Islam by the actions and words of extremists, who seem to get the most exposure in both Western and Muslim media, I would have a skewed understanding of what true Muslims really stand for. I would be lying if I said I haven't been negatively affected by many atrocities committed in the name of Islam lately, but this forum keeps me from generalizing Muslims in any way, so it must be a good thing.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow some very intresting points, iam glad you guys shared them. The sad thing is i find especialy in England people are ignorant.... I gues that is understandble bcoz they read The Sun. Few of my collegues recieve their only reading from that paper. Anyway keep posting.

Our preperation continued, with our efforts and the efforts of our brothers, for years and years. Through out that time we gathered, observed and waited until the moment to move arrived.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What i want to know is yur opinion of Islam
    One of the reasons I’m agnostic is because I see negative aspects in all religions. And I defiantly find negative aspects in Islam.
    how you felt about Islam before the forum and how you feel now?
    I spent about two years on another form. I left that form because of all the negativity and hatred that was frequently expressed. I found the support for what I conceder terrorism quite alarming. Surprisingly, I find this form to have all the same issues. And yes, I do judge Islam by its followers as I do Christianity by its followers.
    Has this forum helped you understand Islam better?
    Yes, but that is not necessarily a positive impact.
    Has it removed any misconceptions?
    Yes, I had some concept of unity within Islam. I’m now convinced that are a thousand different concepts of the religion by its followers.
    Or has your opinion of Islam become worse?
    Worse.
    if your opinion of Islam is realy low than dont be afraid to say so.
    I’m not afraid to express my opinion. If I was, I would have nothing to do with this form, but I also expect many venomous attacks.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow Wilber a very intresting post. It seems you still have issues with Islam, Muslims and Religion.

Let me ask you another question:

What have you learnt from this forum about Islam, that has improved your life in anyway? (it could be anything)

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by SATalha View Post
    Wow Wilber a very intresting post. It seems you still have issues with Islam, Muslims and Religion.

Let me ask you another question:

What have you learnt from this forum about Islam, that has improved your life in anyway? (it could be anything)
    I participate on this forum because I find a lot of different perspectives about a Varity of things.
    I find it interesting and rewarding to hear what others think about issues.
    I assume, like others, I enjoy expressing my opinion.
    All of this broadens our experiences and knowledge and probably makes us better and more understanding humans.
    In that way it has improved my life. But I assume that you were asking if any think I have learned about Islam has improved my life. To that the answer would be no, except the expansion of knowledge about others.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

004 400 CU Rt Lat Head and Eye XRS 1 - Question to our non-Muslim Friends
    here comes Venomous attack now..

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Question to our non-Muslim Friends

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    I participate on this forum because I find a lot of different perspectives about a Varity of things.
    I find it interesting and rewarding to hear what others think about issues.
    I assume, like others, I enjoy expressing my opinion.
    All of this broadens our experiences and knowledge and probably makes us better and more understanding humans.
    In that way it has improved my life. But I assume that you were asking if any think I have learned about Islam has improved my life. To that the answer would be no, except the expansion of knowledge about others.

Ok thats nice to know. Have you learnt anything about the Islamic beliefs? What we do in our daily lives? Our general aims in life? Our Beloved Messenger (PBUH)? Also the teachings that he told us to carry out?

(by the way if any of our other Non-Muslim friends want to chip in and have a say please do, you will be helping me dearly)

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ok thats nice to know. Have you learnt anything about the Islamic beliefs? What we do in our daily lives? Our general aims in life? Our Beloved Messenger (PBUH)? Also the teachings that he told us to carry out?

(by the way if any of our other Non-Muslim friends want to chip in and have a say please do, you will be helping me dearly)
    Of course. It would be almost impossible not to. Besides, I find those things interesting.

I hope that this exchange is not going to end in another conversion attempt.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What i want to know is yur opinion of Islam and how you felt about Islam before the forum and how you feel now? Has this forum helped you understand Islam better? Has it removed any misconceptions? Or has your opinion of Islam become worse?
    I really didn't have an opinion on Islam as I see it as one of the major religions. Its kind of like Christianity, in that its not the religion, but rather the person practicing it, of whom I have an opinion.

My being on this forum has probably exposed me to more of the range of muslims (from 'reform' to 'orthodox') and the input from the different cultures in different geographies.

I've learned a lot more about the outlying works and scholarly writings.
    chat Quote

Skywalker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilber
    You're gonna become Muslim and that's that. This is non-negotiable. Any refusal to do so will result in you getting banned from this forum. You have been warned...

I have the best signature on this forum!
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    You're gonna become Muslim and that's that. This is non-negotiable. Any refusal to do so will result in you getting banned from this forum. You have been warned...
    That would make many happy. (The getting banned part)
    chat Quote

MaiCarInMtl's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've only been here for a few weeks and decided to join after about a year of fairly intensive internet research about the religion itself.

Of course, one will encounter possible negative vieewpoints (or one that are different from your own) when reading anything anywhere, but I find the chances of that increase with joining forums.

That being said, I find this forum is more open to variying opinions than some others, I find the people here are more positive than on many other boards I go to (be it religious or other).

I haven't learnt much new things about the basics of the religion, but I've learnt more about the importance of the religion to the people who practice it. The problem with that is that often people practice a religion differently and are also products of different socio-cultural influences (which might change the messages they interpret about their religion). This can cause some problems(and frictions).

I know it is hard to seperate the religion itself from it's practitioners (one of the many reasons why I have lost faith in the religion I was born into is due to the behaviour of the people who practice it, and moreso the attitude, actions and behaviours of the leaders one is told to look up to as the closest link to God on earth). It's a long story. I have to keep reminding myself to go back to the book, make my own interpretation of it but I am glad I have somewhere to go to discuss certain issues that might not be clear to me, or simply if I want to see what other people's points of vue are.

I hope I didn't get too off-topic or too long-winded when going into explanations.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    Of course. It would be almost impossible not to. Besides, I find those things interesting.

Wow i thought this was a forum and you dont want to be tempted in to a conversation

Only joking, Wilber Iam sorry if i seemed to conversational.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

rav's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think he said "conversion" as in, 'converting to islam'. Don't worry about it though, since when I read things to fast, I frequently may read a word wrong and than do a double take at it.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow i thought this was a forum and you dont want to be tempted in to a conversation
    A number of people have tried to "Tempt" me. Sorry it just isn't going to happen.

Only joking, Wilber Iam sorry if i seemed to conversational.
    No sorries needed. No offense taken.

But is your sole purpose of this thread to get converts?
    If not, I'm courious as to what you are looking for.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl View Post
    I've only been here for a few weeks and decided to join after about a year of fairly intensive internet research about the religion itself.

Of course, one will encounter possible negative vieewpoints (or one that are different from your own) when reading anything anywhere, but I find the chances of that increase with joining forums.

That being said, I find this forum is more open to variying opinions than some others, I find the people here are more positive than on many other boards I go to (be it religious or other).

I haven't learnt much new things about the basics of the religion, but I've learnt more about the importance of the religion to the people who practice it. The problem with that is that often people practice a religion differently and are also products of different socio-cultural influences (which might change the messages they interpret about their religion). This can cause some problems(and frictions).

I know it is hard to seperate the religion itself from it's practitioners (one of the many reasons why I have lost faith in the religion I was born into is due to the behaviour of the people who practice it, and moreso the attitude, actions and behaviours of the leaders one is told to look up to as the closest link to God on earth). It's a long story. I have to keep reminding myself to go back to the book, make my own interpretation of it but I am glad I have somewhere to go to discuss certain issues that might not be clear to me, or simply if I want to see what other people's points of vue are.

I hope I didn't get too off-topic or too long-winded when going into explanations.
    Wow thats realy intresting iam glad you shared it with me. And no your not going off topic

I to feel that this forum brings more positive ideas than negative, although it does have its moments.

The way we practice Islam can never be perfect, we can try to......but it wont be anything like the way our Beloved Messenger (peace and bleassings be upon him) practiced it. Because he was an example for us in every field. Foe example he was the best father, husban, military commandar, Leader of a nation, teacher, advisor, friend, manual worker and many more things. Where else will you find a man like that? Can any one name someone like that

Hope to hear more.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Question to our non-Muslim Friends Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Question to our non-Muslim Friends