× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 29 visibility 3564

spreading the good news...

*~Sofia~*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Talking spreading the good news...

Report bad ads?

brothers and sisters

Spreading the Good News of Ramadaan

I decided to post this thread up seeing as ramadhan is just round the corner! yAy

Abu Hurairah reported that the Messenger of Allaah (saws) said: "Ramadaan has come to you - a blessed month. Allaah has made it obligatory on you to fast in it. During this month, the gates of heaven are open, the gates of the Hellfire are closed and the evil devils are chained. To Allaah belongs a night in it, which is better than a thousand months. Whosoever is prevented from its good, then he has been deprived."

The hadeeth is a glad tiding to the righteous servants of Allaah, of the coming of the blessed month of Ramadaan. The Prophet (saws) informed his Companions of its coming and it was not just a simple relaying of news. Rather, his intent was to give them the glad tidings of a magnificent time of the year, so that the righteous people who are quick to do deeds can give it its due estimate.

This is because the Prophet (saws) explained in it (the hadeeth) what Allaah has prepared for His servants from the ways towards gaining forgiveness and His contentment - and they are many. So whoever has forgiveness escape him during the month of Ramadaan, then he has been deprived with the utmost deprivation.

From the great favors and bounties that Allaah has bestowed upon His servants is that He has prepared for them meritous occasions so that they may be of profit to those who obey Him and a race for those who rush to compete (for good deeds).

These meritous occasions are times for fulfilling hopes by exerting in obedience and uplifting flaws and deficiencies through self-rectification and repentance. There is not a single occasion from these virtuous times, except that Allaah has assigned in it works of obedience, by which one may draw close to Him. And Allaah possesses the most beautiful things as gifts, which He bestows upon whomsoever He wills by His Grace and Mercy.

So the one who achieves true happiness is he who takes advantage of these virtuous months, days and hours and draws closer to His Guardian in them, by doing what is prescribed in them from acts of worship.

Thus perhaps he will be showered with one of the many blessings of those occasions and be helped by it, with an assistance that is enough to save him from the Fire and what it contains, such as its blazing heat

stay tuned...more to come inshallah

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Talking Re: spreading the good news...

Being able to reach Ramadaan is itself a magnificent bounty that is bestowed on the one who reaches it and rises to its occasion, by standing in prayer during its night and fasting during its day.

In it, he returns to his Protector -- from disobeying Him to obeying Him, from neglecting Him to remembering Him, from remaining distant from Him to turning towards Him in submissive repentance.

A Muslim must be conscious of this bounty and acknowledge its magnitude. For indeed, many people are prevented from fasting, either because they die before they reach it, or because they are not capable of observing it or because they oppose and turn away from it.

Thus, the one who fasts must give praise to his Lord for this bounty and should welcome this month with joy and delight that a magnificent time of the year out of all the occasions for performing obedience is welcomed. He should exert himself deeply in doing good deeds.

And he should invoke Allaah to grant him the ability to fast and stand in night prayer, and that He provide him with seriousness, enthusiasm, strength, and energy in that month. And that He awaken him from heedless oversleeping so that he may take advantage of these virtuous times of good.

It is unfortunate to find that many people do not know the value of this virtuous occasion, nor do they consider it to be sacred. So the month of Ramadaan no longer becomes a significant time for obedience, worship, reciting the Qur'aan, giving in charity and making remembrance of Allaah. Rather, to some people, it becomes a signifcant time to diversify their foods and drinks and to prepare different types of meals before the month begins.

Some other people do not know Ramadaan except as a month of sleeplessness and constant recurring gatherings, while sleeping by day. This is to the point that some among them sleep past the time of the obligatory prayers, thus not praying them in congregation or in their proper times. Other people do not know Ramadaan except as a signifcant time for conducting worldly affairs, not as a significant time for conducting affairs for the Hereafter.

Thus, they work busily in it, buying and selling, and they stay in the market areas, consequently abandoning the masaajid. And when they do pray with the people, they do so in such a hurried manner. This is because they find their pleasure in the market places. This is the extent that the notions and views (of Ramadaan) have been changed.

Some of the Salaf used to say: "Indeed Allaah, the Most High, has made the month of Ramadaan as a competition for His creatures, in which they may race with one another to His pleasure, by obeying Him. Thus, one group comes first and so they prosper and another group comes last and so they fail."

Also, the individual does not know if this is perhaps the last Ramadaan he will ever see in his life, if he completes it. How many men, women and children have fasted with us the past year, and yet now they lie buried in the depths of the earth, relying on their good deeds. And they expected to fast many more Ramadaans.

Likewise, we too shall all follow their path. Therefore, it is upon the Muslim to rejoice at this magnificent occasion for worship. And he should not renounce it, but instead busy himself with what will benefit him and what will cause its effect to remain. For what else is it, except numbered days, which are fasted in succession and which finish rapidly.

May Allaah make us from among those who are foremost in attaining good deeds. Ameen

source: www.abdurrahman.org

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: spreading the good news...

Alhamdulillah this is WELL exciting! jazak Allaah khayr!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Carrying on the Ramadhan theme, here's a few benefits of the blessed month

Benefits of Ramadhan

Abu Said al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allah (saw) , said:

"No servant fasts on a day in the path of Allah except that Allah removes the Hell Fire seventy years further away from his face." [Bukhari and Muslim]

Abu Sa`eed al-Khudri relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Fasting is a shield with which a servant protects himself from the Fire" [Ahmad, Sahih]

`Uthman Ibn Abil-`Aas relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"Whoever fasts a day in the way of Allah, Allah places between him and the Fire a trench like that between heavens and the earth". [at-Tirmithi and at-Tabarani, sahih]

Abu Huraira narrated that Allah's Messenger (saw) said :

"When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained." [Bukhari]

The Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"When it is the first night of Ramadahn the evil devils are chained. The gates of Fire are locked- not a single gate is opened, and the gates of Paradise are opened- not a single gate is locked, and a caller calls out :'O seeker of good come forward, and O seeker of evil withhold, and there are many whom Allah frees from the Fire - and that is every night. [at-Tirmithi, Ibn Majah, and Ibn Khuzaimah : Hasan]

Jabir (ra) relates that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said :

"In every day and every night, during the month of Ramadan, there are people to whom Allah grants freedom from the Fire, and there is for every Muslim a supplication which he can make and will be granted". [al-Bazzaar, Ahmad and Ibn Majah; Sahih]

In the famous hadith of Mu`ath ... I said O Messenger of Allah (saw) , tell me of an act which will take me into Paradise and keep me away from Hell-Fire.

He (saw) said: you have asked me about a major matter, yet it easy for him for whom Allah Almighty makes it easy. You should ..., You should fast in Ramadan .... Then he (the Prophet saw ) said : Shall I not show you the gates of goodness ? Fasting is a shield ...[at-Tirmithi]

May Allah (swt) make this ramadhan a shield to protect the ummah from the Hell-fire. Ameen.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada - View Post

Alhamdulillah this is WELL exciting! jazak Allaah khayr!
    yeh it is is'nt it i can't wait!! glad you liked the post.
    chat Quote

ummAbdillah's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    ~Aisha~
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamu Alaykum,
    I cant wait for Ramadhan! Keep it up hun and Jazakillah khayr,
    w.salaam

وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

happyramadan 1 - spreading the good news...

I think Ramdan of Last year was my absolute favorite, since I got to spend it with all of you.. I got the feeling of Ramadan I used to get in the old country, when all the children would come out of their homes with the lanterns chanting Ramadan Kareem, and the whole neighborhood would be decorated with bulbs of different colors.... And people were so warm and friendly.. Ramadan has always been my favorite time of the year...
    Hope this year it is as delightful and spiritually fulfilling insha'Allah.. I'd like to know what Ramadan is like in your countries..

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - spreading the good news...

chat Quote

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cool Re: spreading the good news...

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    http://religiousfreaks.com/UserFiles...py.ramadan.jpg

I think Ramdan of Last year was my absolute favorite, since I got to spend it with all of you.. I got the feeling of Ramadan I used to get in the old country, when all the children would come out of their homes with the lanterns chanting Ramadan Kareem, and the whole neighborhood would be decorated with bulbs of different colors.... And people were so warm and friendly.. Ramadan has always been my favorite time of the year...
    Hope this year it is as delightful and spiritually fulfilling insha'Allah.. I'd like to know what Ramadan is like in your countries..

Its wickeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha View Post
    Asalamu Alaykum,
    I cant wait for Ramadhan! Keep it up hun and Jazakillah khayr,
    w.salaam
    glad u like the thread
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    highway_trekker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Excellent thread ukhtee, Jazaakillaahu Khayr

There is no month...like the month of Ramadhaan.

...I wonder at the one who extends his right hand
    To his beloved at the time of seperation and he hastens therein!
    I felt weak and incapable of saying farewell when I saw him
    So my heart shook his hand whilst my eye wept....
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

brothers and sisters...

Advice to Muslims on Ramadhan

1. Fast in Ramadhan with belief and truly seeking the reward of Allah the Most High so that He may forgive you your past sins.

2. Beware of breaking your fast during the days of Ramadhan without a valid Islamic excuse, for it is from the greatest of sins.

3. Pray Salat ut-Taraweeh and the night prayer during the nights of Ramadhan - especially on Layatul-Qadr - based on belief and truly seeking the reward of Allah, so that Allah may forgive you your past sins.

4. Make sure that your food, your drink and your clothing are from halal means, in order that your actions be accepted, and your supplications answered. Beware of refraining from the haram while fasting and breaking your fast with the halal.

5. Give food to some fasting people to gain a reward similar to theirs.

6. Perform your five prayers on time in congregation to gain the reward and Allah's protection.

7. Give a lot of charity for the best charity is that of Ramadhan.

8. Beware of spending your time without performing righteous deeds, for you will be responsible and reckoned for it and will be rewarded for all you do during your time.

9. Perform `umrah in Ramadhan for `Umrah in Ramadhan is equal to Hajj.

10. Seek help for fasting during the day by eating the sahoor meal in the last part of the night before the appearance of Fajr.

More top tips to come inshallah

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

top tips continued...

11. Hasten in breaking your fast after the sun has truly set in order to gain the love of Allah.

12. Perform ghusl before fajr if you need to purify yourself from the state of major impurity so that you are able to do acts of worship in a state of purity and cleanliness.

13. Cease the opportunity of being in Ramadhan and spend it with the good that has been revealed in it - by reciting the noble Qur'an and pondering and reflection of its meanings so that it be a proof for you with your Lord and an intercessor for you on the Day of Reckoning.

14. Preserve your tongue from lying, cursing, backbiting and slander for it decreases the reward of fasting.

15. Do not let fasting cause you cross your boundaries by getting upset due to the slightest of reasons. Rather, fating should be a cause of peacefulness and tranquility of your soul.

16. Upon completion of fasting, be in a state of taqwa of Allah the Most High, being aware of Allah watching you in secret and in public, in thankfulness for His favors, and steadfastness upon obedience of Allah by doing all what He has ordered and shunning all that He has prohibited.

17. Increase in remembrance of Allah, seeking of forgiveness, asking for Paradise and protection against the Fire, especially when fasting, while breaking the fast and during suhoor, for these actions are among greatest causes of attaining Allah's forgiveness.

18. Increase in supplication for yourself, your parents, your children and Muslims, for Allah has ordered making of supplications and has guaranteed acceptance.

19. Repent to Allah with a sincere repentance in all times by leaving sins, regretting those that you have done before and firmly deciding not to return to them in the future, for Allah accepts repentance of those who repent.

20. Fast six days of Shawwal, for whoever fasts Ramadhan and then follows it with six days of Shawwal, it is as if he fasts all the time.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thumbs up Re: spreading the good news...

everyone...

Reaping the benefits of the blessed month

LESSON 1: Gaining Taqwaa

Allah legislated fasting for gaining taqwaa:

"O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed upon you as it has been prescribed upon those before you, so that you may attain taqwaa."

Taqwaa in this case means to make a shield between oneself and Allah’s anger and Hellfire. So we should ask ourselves, when we break our fasts:

‘Has this fasting day made us fear Allah more? Has it resulted that we want to protect ourselves from the hellfire or not?

LESSON 2: Drawing closer to Allah

This is achieved by reciting and reflecting on Al-Qur’an during night and day, attending the taraweeh prayers, remembering Allah, sitting in circles of knowledge and, for those who can, making umrah.

Also for those who can, making I`tikaaf (seclusion) in the last ten nights of Ramadaan, so as to leave all worldly pursuits and seclude oneself in a masjid just thinking of Allah, so as to bring oneself closer to Allah (SWT).

When one sins, one feels distant from Allah. That is why one might find it hard to read the Qur’an and come to the masjid.

However, the obedient worshipper feels closer to Allah and wants to worship Allah more, because he is not shy from his sins.

LESSON 3: Acquiring patience and strong will

Allah has mentioned patience more than seventy times in the Qur’an and has commanded patience in more than sixteen ways in His Book.
    So when one fasts, and gives up one’s food and drink, and one’s marital sexual relations for those hours, one learns restraint and patience.

This Ummah needs man and women that are strong willed, who can stand upon the Sunnah and the Book of Allah and not waver in front of the enemies of Allah.

We do not need emotional people, who just raise slogans and shout, but when the time comes to stand upon something firm, they cannot do so, they waver.

more benefits of the blessed month will be up shortly inshallah

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Reaping the benefits of the blessed month continued....

LESSON 4: Striving for Ihsaan (righteousness and sincerity) and staying away from riyaa’ (showing off)

Ihsaan means to worship Allah as if one sees him and even though one does not see Him, He sees all.

Hasan al-Basree said:

"By Allah, in the last twenty years, I have not said a word or taken something with my hand or refrained to take something with my hand or stepped forth or stepped back, except that I have thought before I have done any action, ‘Does Allaah love this action? Is Allah pleased with this action?'

So when one is fasting, one should gain this quality of watching oneself and also staying away from riyaa’ (showing off). That is why Allah said in a hadeeth qudsee:

"Fasting is for Me and I reward it." (al-Bukhari)

Allah singles out fasting from all other types of worship saying:

"Fasting is for Me"

because no one knows whether you are fasting or not, except Allah.

LESSON 5: Refinement of manners, especially those related to truthfulness and discharging trusts.

The Prophet (saw) said:

"Whoever does not abandon falsehood in word and action, then Allah (SWT) has no need that he should leave his food and drink." (al-Bukhari)

What we learn from this, is that we must pay attention to the purification of our manners.

The Prophet (saw) said:

"I was sent to perfect good manners."

So we must check ourselves, are we following the behaviour of the Prophet (saw)? For example: Do we give salaam to those we don’t know and those we do know? Do we follow the manners of Islaam, by telling the truth and only telling the truth? Are we sincere? Are we merciful to the creation?

LESSON 6: Recognizing that one can change for the better

The Prophet (saw) said:

"Every son of Adam sins and the best of the sinners are those who repent."

Allah provides many opportunities to repent to Him and seek His forgiveness. If one was disobedient they can become obedient.

LESSON 7: Being more charitable

Ibn `Abaas (ra) said:

"The Prophet (saw) was the most charitable amongst the people, and he used to be more so in the month of Ramadaan when Jibreel used to meet him on every night of Ramadaan till the end of the month…" (al-Bukhari)

The Prophet (saw) said:

"He who gives food for a fasting person to break his fast, he will receive the same reward as him, without nothing being reduced from the fasting person’s reward." (at-Tirmidhi)

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

LESSON 8: Sensing the unity of the Muslims

The Prophet (saw) said:

"…Those of you who will live after me will see many differences. Then you must cling to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided khaleefahs. Hold fast to it and stick to it." (Abu Dawud)

In this month we sense that there is a possibility for unity, because we all fast together, we break fast together, we all worship Allah together, and we pray Salaatul-`Eid together.
    Therefore we sense that the unity of Muslims is possible. It is possible for Muslims to be a single body, but this will only be achieved when obedience is only to Allah and His Messenger.

LESSON 9: Learning discipline

The Prophet (saw) made us adhere to discipline and strictness, strictness that does not lead to fanaticism or going outside the bounds that Allah has laid down.

One cannot knowingly break the fast before the sunset, as this will not be accepted by Allah. Muslims should learn to be very strict in their lives, because they are people of an important message, which they mould their lives around.

LESSON 10: Teaching the young to worship Allaah

It was the practice of the people of Madina, that during the fast of `Aashooraa (which is now a recommended fast of one day) to get their children to fast with them.

When the children would cry of hunger and thirst, their parents would distract their attention by giving them some sort of toy to play with. The children would break their fast with their parents. (as mentioned in al-Bukhari).

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

brothers and sisters...

The Qur'an and Fasting will intercede for the slave on the Day of Judgment

The Qur'an and Fasting are very closely related to each other for many reasons; one of them being - the Qur'an was revealed in the month of Fasting (i.e. Ramadaan).

Allah praised and honored the month of Fasting out of all the other months by choosing it to send down the Glorious Qur'an.

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and criterion (between right and wrong).” [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 185]

Reciting the Qur'aan in the month of Fasting

The importance of reciting the Qur'an in the month of Ramadaan is reflected by the practice of Jibreel (alaihi as-salaam).

Allah, the Exalted, would send Jibreel (alaihi as-salaam) every Ramadan to the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) to recite the whole Qur'an that was revealed.

Narrated Ibn Abbas (alaihi as-salaam):

“The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was the most generous person and he used to become more so (generous) particularly in the month of Ramadaan because Jibreel used to meet him every night of the month of Ramadaan till it elapsed. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) used to recite the Qur'aan to him…” [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 6, no. 519)]

The Qur'aan and the Fasting will intercede for the slave on the day of Judgment

On the Day of Judgment, when,

“…the sky will be like the boiling filth of oil (or molten copper or silver or lead, etc.) and the mountains will be like flakes of wool. And no friend will ask of a friend.” [Soorah al-Maarij (70): 8-10]

“That day shall a man flee from his brother. And from his mother and his father, and from his wife and children. Every man, that Day, will have enough to make him careless of others.” [Soorah at-Takwir (81): 34-37]

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The Fasting and the Qur'aan will intercede for the slave on the Day of Judgment.” Fast will say, 'O My Lord! I stopped this person from eating, drinking and other desires so accept my intercession for him.'

The Qur'aan will say, 'O my Lord! I stopped this person from sleep (for Qiyaam) so accept my intercession for him.' Both the intercessions will be accepted.” [Musnad Ahmad and at-Tabaranee]

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has greatly encouraged recitation of the Qur'an by mentioning its numerous blessings and rewards.

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“Whoever reads a single letter from Allah's Book will receive a blessing (for each letter) and each blessing is worth ten times its value.” [Ibn Majah and at-Tirmidhee]

These blessings are further multiplied for those who struggle in their recitation, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“One who is skilled in it, the Qur'an, is associate with the noble, upright, recording Angels and he who falters when he recites the Qur'aan and finds it difficult, he will have a double reward.” [Saheeh Muslim (vol. 1/ no. 1754)]

It should be mentioned here that recitation of the Qur'an is not the goal in itself; understanding the Commands of Allah and acting upon it are the main objective.

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.” [Saheeh Muslim (no. 432)]

Meaning on the Day of Judgment, the Qur'an will become a proof for those who recite the Qur'an with understanding and act in accordance to it. Otherwise, the Qur'aan will become a proof against those who merely recite the Qur'aan but do not act according to it.

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said:

“The example of a believer, who recites the Qur'an and acts on it, is like an orange which tastes nice and smells nice. And the example of the believer who does not recite the Qur'an but acts on it is like a date that tastes sweet but has no smell.

And the example of the hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like a sweet Basil which smells good but tastes bitter.

And the example of a hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'aan is like a Coelacanth which tastes bitter and has a bad smell.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 6, no. 579)]

So, let us cease the opportunity in this blessed month of Ramadan and recite more of the Qur'an but with understanding and acting in accordance to its commands.

Allah says:

“This is a Book, We have sent down to you full of blessing, so that they may ponder over its verses and so that the people of reflection take heed.” [Soorah Sad (38): 29]

Last edited by *~Sofia~*; 09-02-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    chat Quote

highway_trekker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Inner Secrets of Fasting
    By Imaam Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee

Know, that in the fast (Sawm) is a special quality that is not found in anything else. And that is its close connection to Allaah, such that He says:

‘‘The Fast (Sawm) is for Me and I will reward it.’’ [2]

This connection is enough to show the high status of fasting. Similarly, the Ka’bah is highly dignified due to its close connection to Him, as occurs in His statement:

‘‘And sanctify My House.’’ [3]

Indeed, the fast is only virtuous due to two significant concepts:

THE FIRST: It is a secret and hidden action, thus, no one from the creation is able to see it Therefore riyaa‘ (showing off) cannot enter into it.

THE SECOND: It is a means of subjugating the enemies of Allaah. This is because the road that the enemies (of Allaah) embark upon (in order to misguide the Son of Aadam) is that of desires. And eating and drinking strengthens the desires. There are many reports that indicate the merits of fasting, and they are well known

THE RECOMMENDED ACTS OF FASTING:

The pre-dawn meal (suhoor) and delaying in taking it are preferable, as well as hastening to break the fast and doing so with dates. Generosity in giving is also recommended during Ramadhaan, as well as doing good deeds and increasing in charity.

This is in accordance with the way of the Messenger of Allaah. It is also recommended to study the Qur‘aan and perform I‘tikaaf (seclusion for worship) during Ramadhaan, especially in its last ten days, as well as increasing upon the exertion (towards doing good deeds) in it.

In the two Saheehs, ’Aa‘ishah said: ‘‘When the last ten days (of Ramadhaan) would come, the Prophet would tighten his waist wrapper (izaar)’’ [4]

The scholars have mentioned two views concerning the meaning of ‘tighten his wrapper (izaar)’ The first is that it means the turning away from women. The second is that it is an expression denoting his eagerness and diligence in doing good deed. They also say that the reason for: the last ten days of Ramadhaan was due to his seeking of the Night of al-Qadr (Laylatul-Qadr).

AN EXPLANATION OF THE INNER SECRETS OF FASTING AND ITS CHARACTERISITCS:

There are three levels of fasting, the general fast, the specific fast and the more specific fast.

As for the general fast, then it is the refraining of ones stomach and their private parts from fulfilling their desires.

The specific fast is the refraining of ones gaze, tongue, hands, feet, hearing and eyes, as well as the rest of his body parts from committing sinful acts.

As for the more specific fast, then it is the heart’s abstention from its yearning after the worldly affairs and the thoughts which distance one away from Allaah, as well as its (the heart’s) abstention.

From all the things that Allaah has placed on the same level. [5]

From the characteristics of the specific fast is that one lowers his gaze and safeguards his tongue from the repulsive speech that is forbidden, disliked, or which has no benefit, as well as controlling the rest of his body parts.

In a hadeeth by al-Bukhaaree: ‘‘Whosoever does not abandon false speech and the acting upon it, Allaah is not in need off his food and drink.’’ [6]

Another characteristic of the specific fast is that one does not overfill himself with food during the night. Instead, he eats in due measure, for indeed, the son of Aadam does not fill a vessel more evil than his stomach. If he were to eat his fill during the first part of the night, he would not make good use of himself for the remainder of the night. In the same way, if he eats to his fill for suhoor, he does make good use of himself until the afternoon. This is because excessive eating breads laziness and lethargy therefore, the objective of fasting disappears due to one's excessiveness in eating, for what is indeed intended by the fast, is that one savours the taste of hunger and becomes an abandoner of desires.

RECOMMENDED FASTS:

As for the recommended fasts, then know that preference for fasting is established in certain virtuous days. Some of these virtuous days happen every year, such as fasting the first six days of Shawwaal after Ramadhaan, fasting the day of ’Arafah, the day of ’Ashooraa, and the ten days of Dhul-Hijjah and Muharram. Some of them occur every month, such as the first part of the month, the middle part of it, and the last part of it. So whoever fasts the first part of it, the middle part of it and the last part of it, then he has done well. Some fasts occur every week, and they are every Monday and Thursday. The most virtuous of the recommended fasts is the fast of Daawood. He would fast one day and break his fast the next day. This achieves the following three objectives, the soul is given its share on the day the fast is broken. And on the day of fasting, it completes its share in full. The day of eating is the day of giving thanks and the day of fasting is the day of having patience.

And Faith (eemaan) is divided into two halves- that of thankfulness and that of patience. [7] It is the most difficult struggle for the soul. This is because every time the soul gets accustomed to a certain condition, it transfers itself that.

As for fasting every day, then it has been reported by Muslim, from the hadeeth of Aboo Qataadah that ’Umar (radiyallaahu ’anhu) asked the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam): What is the case if one were to fast everyday? So he (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said:

‘‘He did not fast nor did he break his fast or, he did not fast and he did not break his fast.’’ [8] This is concerning the one who fasts continuously, even during the days in which fasting is forbidden.

CHARACTERISITCS OF THE MORE SPECIFIC FASTS:

Know that the one who has been given intellect, knows the objective behind fasting. Therefore, he burdens himself to the extent that he will not be unable to do that which is more beneficial than it.

Ibn Mas’ood would fast very little and it is reported that he used to say: ‘‘When I fast, I grow weak in my prayer. And I prefer the prayer over the (optional) fast.’’ Some of the Companions would weaken in their recitation of the Qur‘aan when fasting. Thus, they would exceed in breaking their fast (i.e.. by observing less optional fasts), until they were able to balance their recitation. Every individual is knowledgeable of his condition and of what will rectify it.

Footnotes:
    [1] This article is taken from the book Mukhtasar Minhaajul-Qaasideen (p. 38-41) of the illustrious scholar and righteous Imaam, Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisee (d.529H). This article was translated by Isma'eel Ibn al-Arkaan and edited by Abu Khaliyl. There were also slight adaptions made to it, such as the exclusion of a couple of statements. [2] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/118) and Muslim (no. 1151).[3] Sooratul-Hajj: 26 [4] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/322) and Muslim (no. 1147).[5] (Editors note: Additional comment is required here, The levels mentioned are levels of abstinence. The first of these three levels entails the abstinence which is fulfilled, the fast is considered complete in view of the one having met the legislated requirements [i.e. It does not have to be repeated or made up, the servant has indeed fasted.] The remaining levels deal with the value of the Fast. If the second is level is not met, the fast will be of less value to the servant, than if it were met and likewise for the third. Thus it is said that intentional eating and intercourse render the fast null and void, whereas committing other unlawful acts such, likes speaking falsely, placing the unlawful look to the opposite sex. And so on will constitute a sin of one degree or another, but not nullify the fast. [6] Related by al-Bukhaaree (4/99)[7] {Editors note: This statement is based upon an unauthentic Hadeeth, which has been reported by al-Kharaa‘itee and ad-Daylamee. One of its narrators was graded ‘‘abandoned’’ by an-Nisaa‘ee and adh-Dhahabee. Al-Manawee and al-Albaanee approved of its grading. See ad-Da’eefah (no. 625).
    [8] Related by Muslim

...I wonder at the one who extends his right hand
    To his beloved at the time of seperation and he hastens therein!
    I felt weak and incapable of saying farewell when I saw him
    So my heart shook his hand whilst my eye wept....
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam is a important religion everybody knows this.
    chat Quote

Haidar_Abbas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Arrow Re: spreading the good news...

alhamdulillah we're muslims and ramadan is equal to all our sacred days theyre all GREAT! Allahu Akbar!!!

أُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ حَقًّا لَّهُمْ دَرَجَاتٌ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ وَرِزْقٌ كَرِيمٌ

"Onlar namazlarını dosdoğru kılan ve kendilerine rızık olarak verdiğimizden [Allah yolunda] harcayan kimselerdir".8:3
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salam

jazakallah khair sister Highway_trekker for ur contribution... was very beneficial mashallah

keep the good posts cumin sis.. im enjoyin em loads..and learnin loads too!!

w'salam
    x
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! spreading the good news... Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. spreading the good news...