star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

NO Salaams

Report bad ads?

I have been in several situations where I've salaam sisters and they have not returned the salaams back to me. I made sure that I said it loud enough for them to hear me and still I got no response. I even asked a sister why she did not greet me and she told me "becuase you have flowers on your kimar and your attracting attention". I was covered from head to toe. If a muslim greets you, should'nt you greet them the same or better? Does anybody think I did anything wrong? I look forward to your reponses.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: NO Salaams

format_quote Originally Posted by deeah_2 View Post
    I have been in several situations where I've salaam sisters and they have not returned the salaams back to me. I made sure that I said it loud enough for them to hear me and still I got no response. I even asked a sister why she did not greet me and she told me "becuase you have flowers on your kimar and your attracting attention". I was covered from head to toe. If a muslim greets you, should'nt you greet them the same or better? Does anybody think I did anything wrong? I look forward to your reponses.

sadly, even though we may be Muslims, it does not always prevent us from having personal bias's and prejudices. I think you ran into a cultural issue and have found some prejudiced sisters. They may be acting in accordance with their culture, but it does not seem to be very Islamic in my opinion. Astagfirullah.
    NO Salaams

Herman 1 - NO Salaams

chat Quote

deeah_2's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for your response. May Allah reward you for kindness.
    chat Quote

Umm Yoosuf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Al-Athariyyah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Five are the rights of a Muslim over his brother: responding to salutation, saying "Yarhamuka Allah" when he sneezes and says Al-Hamdu Lillah, accepting the invitation, visiting the sick and following the funeral procession.

Sometimes sisters walk pass by you and do not reply to your salaams perhaps it is due to ignorance, they are not aware of the hadiths, or maybe they did not hear. Allah knows best. Regarding the sister that did not replying to your salaam because you had flowers on your scarf maybe she is ignorant of the hadith, insha Allah you should explain it to her in a gentle way that is obligatory for her to repond to your salaam.
    Last edited by Umm Yoosuf; 08-07-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    deeah_2's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for your response, you gave me a reason to look at the situation a little differently all praises due to Allah!!
    chat Quote

princessz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I can relate. But it is better for you to be the first one to give salams.
    I intentionally try to make eye contact with some sisters to give them salams, and some deliberately turn the other way, avoiding eye contact. You can't really help the situation. I guess it's in their personality.
    chat Quote

rubiesand's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Deeah2
    still I got no response
    Remember sister, even if the person does not reply, the angels do answer your salam, so it's not wasted! Please don't be discouraged from giving salam because Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) calls it 'a greeting blessed and good'.(24:61)
    chat Quote

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand View Post

even if the person does not reply, the angels do answer your salam, so it's not wasted!

woowww , wonderful...i did not know that ...
    Jazak Allah for sharing
    NO Salaams

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com
    chat Quote

ummzayd's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I live in an area with a lot of 'Muslims' (well anyway they are wearing hijab). And I also have found it very hard to get any response to my 'salaam alaikum'. I stopped saying it automatically and tried just to get eye contact first....sometimes I would get eye contact and smile but they just turned away! ouch I felt so rejected and embarrassed. To smile at someone and they look you up and down coldly and turn away is not a good experience. And it didn't just happen passing by people in the street, the other hijabi mothers at my son's school totally ignored my salaams when we were standing together outside the classroom!

anway I kind of gave up trying and didn't even bother looking at hijabis after that. Unfortunately though sometimes I found that I had passed by a sister who had given me salaams! So I had become like the other sisters that had hurt me (except it was not intentional).

So now I am back to trying to make eye contact with all the hijabis I see and if I don't get a dirty look I will give salaams. and like the other sister said, if they don't reply then the angels tell you 'wa alaikum as-salaam' which should more than make up for feeling embarrassed (in my case).

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Ummah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ i can share your experience

there was a woman who i once worked with who was more ignorant than anyone ive ever met. she refused to give salaam to any muslim girl who didnt wear hijaab, or wore a headscarf but no jilbaab simply because she regarded them as kuffar.

if someone doesnt outwardly appear to be a good muslim, we sholdnt judge them coz we dont have that right. And if we dont reply to their salaams it will only make them distance themselves even more from islam
    NO Salaams

"So after the truth, what else can there be, save error?" [Quran 10:32]
    chat Quote

Intisar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well, you gave them salaam and they didn't return it back it's all on them. I've run into the same problems with my community. I deliberately reached out and said salams but all I got was a eye roll. What can you do? Nothing but pray that they learn some adab.
    chat Quote

bint_khalid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this is wrong and islamically they should reply back to you. Some sisters dont reply to brothers thats a different case, but when its both sisters or brothers they should greet each other
    chat Quote

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Omg sis ummzayd, I know exactly how that felt. I've had sisters look me up and down when I smiled or just didnt reply, trying to get their attention. It was totally embarassing. Allahu Alam though, they coulda had a bad day or maybe the sun was in her eyes .

Well the good thing is sis that you didnt lose your adab and sent your salaams to them. Perhaps one day in their lives they will understand InshaAllah

NO Salaams

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

Protected_Diamond's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No sister you did right. They got issues. Its sunnat to say salaam to peeps you don't know. Carry on saying salaam coz you guna get rewarded for trying. :sunny:
    NO Salaams

“Whoever puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is Allah for him.”
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lots of good advice given.

We can not control the actions of others, but we can control our own actions. That is the main thing we should be concerned with. Not so much what others do to us, but what we do to others.
    NO Salaams

Herman 1 - NO Salaams

chat Quote

20. Hide
Hey there! NO Salaams Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. NO Salaams