× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 20 of 20 visibility 2569

Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

Intisar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

brothers and sisters I hope you're all in good health and imaan insha'allah.

From many people I've come across, I've heard that voting in the Western world isn't permissible I just wanted to know whether it's true and why.

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    guyabano's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

Voting for what and specifically as a muslim ?

Im Always Right,Its Like,When Im Right,Im Right,And When Im Wrong,I Could've Been Right,So Im Still Right,'Cause I Could've Been Wrong!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena
    From many people I've come across, I've heard that voting in the Western world isn't permissible I just wanted to know whether it's true and why

You're in Toronto and as far as I know, it's in the Western world and Canadians vote.

-
    chat Quote

Salaam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

insha'allah you should refer to the scholar's in your own country, regarding if it is allowed to vote or not.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Good morning to you too.. lol Well, I'm asking this question as a Muslim, because as far as I'm concerned I consider myself a Muslim before anything. I was wondering if it's halal (permissible) to vote in secular states aka the Western World.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Bro Salaam is right, you need to ask this question to those qualified in matters of Fiqh to answer this insha'allah. Unfortunately no one in this forum is qualified to answer this, but they can give another scholars opinion.

Check this out:
    http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...84b10f8731fe67

Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters
    Bs53AicCAAACVpFsmall - Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?
    chat Quote

Salaam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

there are different situations in different countrys, ie in the uk the scholars have said that it is allowed to vote. refer to the following artical (this artical is only concerning uk residents) http://www.islam21c.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18367&It emid=44

so you should ask the scholars in your country, becuase the scholar's in other countrys dont know the sitution of the muslims in your country.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, I was wondering in general thanks for the links tho, I'll definitely check them out and ask the advice of a person with higher knowledge in the deen. Salaam.
    chat Quote

Ebtisweetsam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena* View Post
    brothers and sisters I hope you're all in good health and imaan insha'allah.

From many people I've come across, I've heard that voting in the Western world isn't permissible I just wanted to know whether it's true and why.

I asked our Imaam in Australia and he said of course we have to vote- in fact he said it is like an amaaanah that we do. We need to desperately have an opinion in these sorts of matters.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Haidar_Abbas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Arrow Re: Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

its better as a believer to not take part in haram form of govt and to obstain from it inshaAllah...just think of this...you vote in a western govt and in one way or another they undermine the ummah and even do far worse things to us...if that doesnt crush your heart with guilt then i dont know what will lolll (thats not my intention sister)...also another aspect its better for the believers to not be accustomed to being ruled by anything other than shariah... Allahu Alaam, migrate if you have the means to the land where the athan is heard 5 times aday and live amoung beleivers inshaAllah..

أُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ حَقًّا لَّهُمْ دَرَجَاتٌ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ وَرِزْقٌ كَرِيمٌ

"Onlar namazlarını dosdoğru kılan ve kendilerine rızık olarak verdiğimizden [Allah yolunda] harcayan kimselerdir".8:3
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas View Post
    [FONT="Fixedsys"] its better as a believer to not take part in haram form of govt and to obstain from it inshaAllah...
    True

just think of this...you vote in a western govt and in one way or another they undermine the ummah and even do far worse things to us...if that doesnt crush your heart with guilt then i dont know what will lolll (thats not my intention sister)...also another aspect its better for the believers to not be accustomed to being ruled by anything other than shariah...
    However, the act of not voting is a vote. It is a positive vote in agreement with those who win.
    To not vote against something is an automatic acceptance of voting for it. By not voting we vote to accept the will of the voters we disagree with.

Allahu Alaam, migrate if you have the means to the land where the athan is heard 5 times aday and live amoung beleivers inshaAllah..

Herman 1 - Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

chat Quote

Encolpius's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Arrow Re: Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

People who pass up the opportunity to vote get the government they deserve.

REMEMBER THESE NUMBERS.

09-F9-11-02-9D-74-E3-5B-D8-41-56-C5-63-56-88-C0

45-5F-E1-04-22-CA-29-C4-93-3F-95-05-2B-79-2A-B2

chat Quote

Ebtisweetsam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[FONT="Fixedsys"] its better as a believer to not take part in haram form of govt and to obstain from it inshaAllah...just think of this...you vote in a western govt and in one way or another they undermine the ummah and even do far worse things to us...

Brother the voting will go on with or without ur vote.... the Imaam instructed us to vote because it is better for a minute Muslim Ummah to have an opinion and get the B]BETTER[/B] of the two parties be goverment/president, rather than the worse of the two. The prophet taught us to first speak with our mouths, but the weaker stay silent.

if that doesnt crush your heart with guilt then i dont know what will lolll (thats not my intention sister)...also another aspect its better for the believers to not be accustomed to being ruled by anything other than shariah... Allahu Alaam, migrate if you have the means to the land where the athan is heard 5 times aday and live amoung beleivers inshaAllah..:sl: [/FONT]
    [/COLOR]

Believe me i tried that brother and i saw more ignorance in a so-called muslim country than i eva did in Aust. I am a muslim first ..... when u see poor muslim's' hands being chopped off because they stole, and the govt that steals everyday, getting away with murder... it gets you thinking , which shariah are they talking about...
    Last edited by Ebtisweetsam; 08-08-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: mistakes
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

its better as a believer to not take part in haram form of govt and to obstain from it inshaAllah...just think of this...you vote in a western govt and in one way or another they undermine the ummah and even do far worse things to us...if that doesnt crush your heart with guilt then i dont know what will lolll (thats not my intention sister)...also another aspect its better for the believers to not be accustomed to being ruled by anything other than shariah... Allahu Alaam, migrate if you have the means to the land where the athan is heard 5 times aday and live amoung beleivers inshaAllah..
    Akhi you're right we should abstain from supporting governments and politicians that undermine the Ummah, but I'm just asking this question on a personal level because insha'allah Ta'ala I am turning 18 soon. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity of moving to a Muslim country of which you made sound so appealing . I'm wondering though, don't you feel like you need to stand up for things that you don't agree with? I mean by not voting (like brother Woodrow said) you're agreeing with the very same people that you disagree with.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    E'jaazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I read, and I truly believe, that it is not permissible to vote for those who will legislate by other than what Allah has ordained. I was on two websites back in the 2000 elections - one was called muslims for bush and the other muslims for kerry. I put forth the same arguement and got a few negative responses. When I asked each site what it was that they thought that bush or kerry was going to do for Islam and the Muslims, I got NO response. And we see what the end result has been!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena
    ....because as far as I'm concerned I consider myself a Muslim before anything. I was wondering if it's halal (permissible) to vote in secular states aka the Western World.

You would not want to take the risk of offending Allah. Just don't vote.

Have a nice day
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

And of course who ever wins the election it is the will of Allah.

So if you don't vote is doesn't matter.

-
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What if we don't vote and then because of that the party who wins start doing evil stuff that the other party would not have done?

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    And of course who ever wins the election it is the will of Allah.

So if you don't vote is doesn't matter.
    That is not the mentality of a Muslim. We do our best to enjoin good and forbid evil, and if we fail, then we accept that it is by the will of Allah- we are rewarded for our efforts and punished for the lack there of, not for the outcome, because the outcome is not in our hands, but our choice to act is in our hands.
    Last edited by Malaikah; 08-11-2007 at 12:26 PM.

wwwislamicboardcom - Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post

What if we don't vote and then because of that the party who wins start doing evil stuff that the other party would not have done?
    That's exactly what I was thinking sis, if we don't vote then it's a vote in a sense...right?:rolleyes:
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena* View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking sis, if we don't vote then it's a vote in a sense...right?:rolleyes:
    Correct. If you live in a country that is run by popular vote. It is impossible not to vote. You can refuse to go to the polls . But, that is also a vote. Your stated vote is you agree to accept the results.

Sadly, many politicians do there best to promote a low voter turn out and win the election by a very small minority.

Voting is not just electing officials, it is also the turning down or approving of governing laws.

Herman 1 - Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Hey there! Voting in the Western World, is it permissible? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Voting in the Western World, is it permissible?