× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 56 visibility 5948

Islam Is Not The Enemy

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam Is Not The Enemy

Report bad ads?

By ATIF QURAISHI

August 26, 2007

Why are the Muslims so violent? Why must a Muslim kill another Muslim? Why do "the cartoons" bother them so much? Sometimes these questions get tiring. But most of the time it is tiring to find that thin grey line the media draws between religious fanaticism and religious faith.

I wish I had a podium just like Glenn Beck and others on CNN or Fox News. I wish I could get in front of the camera and tell you that I am a Muslim and I am the "religious you" in many ways.

Violence is not a Muslim trait. It is a human one. Most of us forget that the socioeconomic and political environment is not the same everywhere. The path of nonviolence is easily afforded to us. But others exercise violence without any regard. Some get violent over images in a newspaper, while others do it to incite fear. Yet others like Glenn Beck associate violence with Islam to propagate fear.

There is little to no coverage of rallies where Muslims denounce terrorism and violence on a national or international scale. No coverage of the events where Muslims work with others in their communities to remove the wave of isolationism that has gripped us. Fear among the general population coupled with the daily commentaries by people like Glenn Beck is isolating us from a meaningful dialogue. The only dialogue broadcast is one where we complain about the need for dialogue.

Every time Glenn Beck asks, "Where are the peace-loving Muslims now?" I can't help but hold my head in dismay. Where was he when I denounced the violence over the cartoons? Where was he when I was angry at the senseless killings in Iraq? My fellow Americans, I wish you knew I existed and I wish you knew there were millions like me.

We all know that fear makes us do very bad things. I wish mine was the voice of Muslims that is heard across our nation. I wish mine was the voice that compelled you to fight the fear; to fight Islamophobia. I wish mine was the voice that overcame the negativity that emanates from the likes of Glenn Beck.

The prophet Muhammad reminded us that all mankind is from Adam and Eve and that acts of kindness, forgiveness, peace and love have great rewards. He said that the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr. These words uttered over 1,400 years ago have no impact on the people responsible for the killings in Iraq. They kill each other despite what the most revered figure in Islam has asked them to do.

I cannot begin to understand the history between the two sects of Islam, but I can safely assume that the history of the country itself and the politics of power in the guise of a religious fight have more to do with the violence than anything else. Recently when I visited Mecca, I saw a sea of people circling the house of God; I saw people from around the world standing together shoulder to shoulder, men and women, rich and poor, Sunni and Shiite. I saw people, not Sunnis or Shiites, and they were not trying to kill each other.

As a Muslim, I do love my God and my prophet and I can tell you honestly that "the cartoons" did make me question the civility of our society.

Does freedom of speech mean I can do or say what I please? My faith teaches me to be kind to others, and to respect their feelings and beliefs. I live with all of you and thus I respect your beliefs, your Gods and holy people. I don't have to draw cartoons or write books that shame them. With this right, I believe, comes great responsibility.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of this freedom. I am exercising it right now, but I choose to be careful with it. Therefore I must admit that if someone decides to draw or ridicule my prophets then they are exercising their right as well. I am tolerant of that, but not ignorant. And so, if we associate this right with a civil society, I hope that we are actually civil when exercising this right.

Violence is never the answer. A lot of what we do in this world is because it is in our nature as humans. We choose to differentiate ourselves on the basis of origin, color and sex, but mostly, religion.

My fellow Americans, I wish Muslims like me had a voice in this nation. I wish mine was the voice that tells you that I am a Muslim and I am the "American you" in many ways.

Atif Quraishi is an information technology manager in the insurance industry. He lives in Coventry.

Source

Islam Is Not The Enemy

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Islam Is Not The Enemy

glenn beck is a moron
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari View Post
    glenn beck is a moron
    Right!
    There are two kinds of people.

People that agree with you and morons.

But in all fairness, I think Glenn Bech is a bigot.
    Last edited by wilberhum; 08-27-2007 at 10:08 PM.
    chat Quote

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Waz a moron man?

Waz a Bigot |

He just....

Astaghfirullah don't make me label the geezah! oops :X

Peace.
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam is not the enemy
    Depends on how you define "Islam"! Can the real Islam please stand up?
    chat Quote

shev's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    real islam, people who live the real islam....there are of course these kind of people but in psychology it is said that 'we see what we want to see'
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

If the merciful God weighs me with these guilts The scale will break down in the place of judgments Works (Mesihi)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by shev View Post
    real islam, people who live the real islam....there are of course these kind of people but in psychology it is said that 'we see what we want to see'
    So the "Real Islam" is the people who live the "Real Islam".

As KAding said:
    Can the real Islam please stand up?
    chat Quote

ahsan28's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE=Osman;818085
    Violence is not a Muslim trait. It is a human one. [/QUOTE]

100% correct. Thanks brother sharing an informative article.
    chat Quote

Haidar_Abbas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam isnt as westerners want it to be and they cant change it even though they want to currupt it so badly...alhamdulillah the tidle wave of Islam is overtaking the west by the passing of each day, Islam grows like a beautiful flower in the midst of such a barren land alhamdulillah sorry to be so metaphorical but you get the idea inshaAllah
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

أُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ حَقًّا لَّهُمْ دَرَجَاتٌ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ وَرِزْقٌ كَرِيمٌ

"Onlar namazlarını dosdoğru kılan ve kendilerine rızık olarak verdiğimizden [Allah yolunda] harcayan kimselerdir".8:3
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Glenn Beck aside, whom I do believe is a bigot, the violence we are talking about isn't a "trait". We are talking about current events. There can be no doubt that extremist Islam is an enemy of civilized humanity, and that includes Muslims themselves. I agree with Glenn Beck that extremist Islam is an enemy, but the reality is that they are an enemy of Muslims too. I only wish more Muslims could see that.
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Haidar_Abbas View Post

Islam isnt as westerners want it to be and they cant change it even though they want to currupt it so badly...alhamdulillah the tidle wave of Islam is overtaking the west by the passing of each day, Islam grows like a beautiful flower in the midst of such a barren land alhamdulillah sorry to be so metaphorical but you get the idea inshaAllah
    How do Westerners want it to be?
    What are we doing to currupt it?
    What does it service the West to currupt it?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    Islam is not here for your entertainment or for show, you want to know the real Islam get off your dutch atheist a$$ and go learn about Islam.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam is not here for your entertainment or for show, you want to know the real Islam get off your dutch atheist a$$ and go learn about Islam.
    Why would anyone what to believe what you believe?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Aww...now we've moved on to ethnic slurs...how original.
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Aww...now we've moved on to ethnic slurs...how original.
    how did i make an ethinic slur? LOL the guy is dutch, and an atheist! how is it an ethnic slur for me calling HIM DUTCH WHEN HE IS DUTCH?! is dutch a bad word????????? lolllll you guys are so desperate
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

how did i make an ethinic slur? LOL the guy is dutch, and an atheist! how is it an ethnic slur for me calling HIM DUTCH WHEN HE IS DUTCH?! is dutch a bad word????????? lolllll you guys are so desperate

When you bring someone's national or ethnic identity into a conversation, that is a sign of desperation.
    Islam Is Not The Enemy

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

no it aint thats how i talk so get over it............
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

no it aint thats how i talk so get over it............
    Islam is not the enemy, but Muslims like you are.
    chat Quote

Zman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I really don't care about any Islamophobes views on Islam or Muslims.

But, I do care about the views of those who are enquiring to grasp a better understanding in order to have a fruitful dialogue & better understanding.

As for the Islamophobes, they truly don't desire peace, understanding and harmony. They will constantly find ways and employ methods Just to attack Islam and Muslims.

They are racists and xenophobes to the core.

Attacking Islam & Muslims is Just their most recent attempt at conjuring up an enemy that will allow themselves to expose and voice their hatred. That way they can cloak their bigotry in the guise of "human rights," "defending their civilization & way of life," "that they are defending themselves from atacks" (yet, they are the ones who are consistently attacking others), "assimilation & intigration," and so on with their petty and unrealistic excuses.

Every minority has dealt with their hatred and venom, before. Everyone is an enemy and beneath them...
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I really don't care about any Islamophobes views on Islam or Muslims.
    Do you care about Muslims that create Islamophobia?
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Islam Is Not The Enemy Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Islam Is Not The Enemy