× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 49 visibility 5376

Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir

nevesirth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

SYDNEY, Sep 5, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- An exhibit of Christian religious icons infused with Islamic overtones, including an image of Osama bin Laden as Jesus, has raised a stir in a Sydney gallery.

At first look, "Bearded Orientals: Making the Empire Cross" appears to be a portrait of Jesus. If viewers move a few feet to the side, however, the image changes into the face of bin Laden, the man behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States, The Washington Times reported Wednesday.

Bin Laden is shown in in the same pose as Jesus, with his eyes looking heavenward and a halo above his head.

"Well, people are obsessed with both, Christ and bin Laden; there's no difference," said a young art student who identified herself to the Times as Dominique. She said the piece is intended to be viewed as "a comparison of fundamentalism."

The artwork, one of more than 600 entries in the Blake Prize for Religious Art, was displayed days before U.S. President George Bush arrived in Sydney for a series of meetings with Australian leaders and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2007/...-causes-st.php
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir

curse be on those who insult Eesa (jesus) alaihissalaam !

thats all i have to say oh:

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
    chat Quote

Md Mashud's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    I wonder how many Australian Christian will burn down buildings and demand the repeal of freedom of speach laws that allow insults to there beliefs?
    They are too weak to do so! They wouldn't fight for their faith, maybe because its not strong enough.

(I thought Id add it since you are a fan of the skeleton face).

Fight in the way of God, against those who fight against you, drive them out of the places they have drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. Fight them, until persecution is no more, and Religion is for God. But if they stop, let there be no war.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud View Post
    They are too weak to do so! They wouldn't fight for their faith, maybe because its not strong enough.

The skeleton face does say a lot.

But I think you have mistaken tollorance for lack of faith.

Aussie's are a peacefull tollorant lot. They will do just fine.
    chat Quote

The_Prince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Mars, where they located the ice, it was my freezer where i keep the fish
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

so a few hundered Muslims who protested the denmark cartoon means that 1.5 billion muslims are not tolerant? very strange logic indeed...... (and we know your trying to imply that)

you see im not trying to stir things up but you just like making provocative statements dont you?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I never knew making fun of peoples belief was a tolerant act to begin with, why not go make jokes about colour of skin too

Why can't they make fun(fire) of your flag in that case

What goes around comes around. To act on it, is to make sure they don't do such intolerant acts to begin with again , which Im sure is the reason that Jesus is always made a joke out of, far more than our prophet :saw:. See, works out doesnt it

Acting for justice is a duty, to not act on injustice is cowardice

There is nothing cool, about being a punching bag

(I know this skeleton face is getting through to you)
    Last edited by Md Mashud; 09-07-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Fight in the way of God, against those who fight against you, drive them out of the places they have drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. Fight them, until persecution is no more, and Religion is for God. But if they stop, let there be no war.

chat Quote

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

it would be interesting to see whether muslims or christians get the most offended, since muslims also have great respect for jesus.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir
    chat Quote

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

burn down ... whose building? Danish?

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    guyabano's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would call it 'Tolerance' and the ability to show a strong faith without getting hysterical and showing up violence, burning flags....

Im Always Right,Its Like,When Im Right,Im Right,And When Im Wrong,I Could've Been Right,So Im Still Right,'Cause I Could've Been Wrong!
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah, can you guys possibly compliment Christians without in the same sentence bashing Muslims?

As well as for that matter, complimenting Muslims without bashing Christians.

Jeez, it's like reading a thread about video games consoles...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano View Post
    I would call it 'Tolerance' and the ability to show a strong faith without getting hysterical and showing up violence, burning flags....
    There is no faith in being a punching bag to intolerant and ignorant religious comments from people who don't know the slightest of the religion, the Prophet :saw: or much to be honest...

I can imagine, you probably tell a black man who just punched someone for making alot of racist remarks, that he in the wrong and that he should have just tolerated it. No sir, we do not play this silly game. Punishment comes to those who provoke it. You insult Prophet :saw: infront a muslim, expect to get some shizzle at you

So sir, I think you should take your own advice, so what If I burn a countries flag, BE TOLERANT PLEASE?

chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    it would be interesting to see whether muslims or christians get the most offended, since muslims also have great respect for jesus.
    It is interesting... for me I don't see it as offensive at all*, mainly because it is about 'Jesus' the so called 'son of God' who was crucified... which is different from Isa, the Messenger of God, who was never crucified... I know it is the same person, but I never feel that connection being made with respect to cartoons like this.

*What I mean is that I do not get offended, but of course I get annoyed that people can be so disrespectful.
    Last edited by Malaikah; 09-08-2007 at 06:45 AM.

wwwislamicboardcom - Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir
    chat Quote

Abdul-Raouf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    cageprisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth View Post
    SYDNEY, Sep 5, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- An exhibit of Christian religious icons infused with Islamic overtones, including an image of Osama bin Laden as Jesus, has raised a stir in a Sydney gallery.
    Its offensive

Why these idiots are drawin such contoversial images.... jus want to get media attention..???
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wonder who has actually taken the time to actually look at it and wonder why it was drawn.

I mean do you look at The Persistence of Memory and just a bunch of melted clocks? Honestly folks, a little mental investigation into the symbolism goes a long way.

That said, the reason why I feel its such a compelling piece is because of the duo meaning that I feel the artist intended.

The first one is the one mentioned in the article, a comparison of fundamentalism. Think about it, historically both sides have used violence and terror to spread their ideology in blantant disregard for the more peaceful requirements of their respective religions.

The other is the attitude of Islamic fundamentalists. I am sorry to say, but I have encountered a good deal of muslims who feel that Bin Laden is some sort of hero and should be prayed for, to join him and kill/invade the infidels sort of mentallity. In this secondary meaning, the art is most apt because the degree this fundamentalists hold bid laden is at the same lvl christian fundamentalists hold Jesus (and conversly, some wish to convert the rest of the world by force).

Personally, I think its very small minded of a person to condemn a piece of work simply because it si controversial w/o looking at the symbolism. I am sorry if that offends, but it is how I feel.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    I wonder who has actually taken the time to actually look at it and wonder why it was drawn.

I mean do you look at The Persistence of Memory and just a bunch of melted clocks? Honestly folks, a little mental investigation into the symbolism goes a long way.

That said, the reason why I feel its such a compelling piece is because of the duo meaning that I feel the artist intended.

The first one is the one mentioned in the article, a comparison of fundamentalism. Think about it, historically both sides have used violence and terror to spread their ideology in blantant disregard for the more peaceful requirements of their respective religions.

The other is the attitude of Islamic fundamentalists. I am sorry to say, but I have encountered a good deal of muslims who feel that Bin Laden is some sort of hero and should be prayed for, to join him and kill/invade the infidels sort of mentallity. In this secondary meaning, the art is most apt because the degree this fundamentalists hold bid laden is at the same lvl christian fundamentalists hold Jesus (and conversly, some wish to convert the rest of the world by force).

Personally, I think its very small minded of a person to condemn a piece of work simply because it si controversial w/o looking at the symbolism. I am sorry if that offends, but it is how I feel.
    You made 1 major flaw. All of Osama Bin Laden's doings, are in no way related to religion - Any work of Isa you can argue otherwise.

Bin Ladens motives and actions were of political provoked. Mainly, these had branched from the untolerable (for him) presence of American militia in Islamic countries (i.e. Saudi Arabia) - Who remembers the attack on a hotel, in Saudi Arabia, against those American soliders? As we can see, this has nothing religious about it, he is against occupation. This is in the realms of military/economical and intelligence tactics, not religion, not 1 bit.

Bin Laden/Al Qaeda work on that, you do injustice to us, we do it back to you. Its not Islamic actions. His idea is not to convert many to Islam, nor is his motive that its because the people are not Muslim that he is attacking them.

I hope you understand this. You can say, he is a) against occupation and b) Making revenge attacks. Do not confuse this with religion. Just because he is apparently a Muslim, does not make all his actions Islamic.

When people support Osama, they see him as a hero, fighting the evil invaders - Not as the Islamic preacher of the modern world! Even if he shouts he's doing it in the name of Allah, it won't make it a religious ACT, as the basis is not based on religion. Obviously he will say that, he is supposed to be a Muslim.

Still not convinced? Islam forbids killing of innocents/non-fighters. Hence, these attacks are truly non-religious.

This would be the same as comparing Hitler to Isa :RA:, just crazy...

So now, doesn't the symbolisation look very stupid/ignorant? Comparing a warmonger to a Messenger of Allah? I think so.
    Last edited by Md Mashud; 09-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.

chat Quote

Karina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post

I agree. It's about looking at how people view things. I know lots won't agree but it's just my humble opinion.

I don't think the artist intended for us to compare the two and look for similarities. I think it's more about what people perceive as "good" or "evil".
    Perception has a lot to answer for.

For example, a lot of people hold Osama Bin Laden is very high regard despite his views - only yesterday I noticed someone on this website had referred to him as "Sheikh Bin Laden." That's perception.

Art is not intentionally created to offend - usually there's an underlying message.

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

barney's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Sikhs smashed up a theater in birmingham as it "insulted" their religion. it was kinda local though. The Mohammed Cartoons were internationally demonstrated by tens if not hundreds of thousands, and included lots of Violence and threats. So out of 1.5 billion muslims a few hundred thousand demonstrating isnt really statistically significant. It makes news because the demonstraters WANT it to be high profile and use violence to acheive this. theres also a element of "make the dirty kuffar pay".

A worldwide non-violent co-ordinated demo would have had a much better effect. now when anyone mentions the cartoons, all thats remembered are Burning Buildings.

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005
    Liberation:when something or someone is freed: Operation Telic 2003
    chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am a christian and of course for me those (and hundreds of others) cartoons are meaningless.I mean, do they really believe that God cares about such silly things? He is above such things. I believe that those who made such cartoons would face Christ in the Judgement Day and then they will/or won't be judged. Its not good way to show our strength of faith by burning flags or throwing stones. I leave punishments for God. He will do what He wants.

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There is no faith in being a punching bag to intolerant and ignorant religious comments from people who don't know the slightest of the religion, the Prophet :saw: or much to be honest...

I can imagine, you probably tell a black man who just punched someone for making alot of racist remarks, that he in the wrong and that he should have just tolerated it. No sir, we do not play this silly game. Punishment comes to those who provoke it. You insult Prophet :saw: infront a muslim, expect to get some shizzle at you

So sir, I think you should take your own advice, so what If I burn a countries flag, BE TOLERANT PLEASE?
    Taking violent action against someone exercising there right to free speech is a crime.

Taking violent action against someone because you some how belong to the same group of a person who exercised there right to free speech is a hate crime.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Bin Laden-as-Jesus Art Causes Stir