× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 16 of 16 visibility 7445

Medicines during Fasting

shible's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Medicines during Fasting

Report bad ads?

Question:

Is there any consensus amongst Muslim scholars as to which medicinal preperations are permitted whilst fasting. More specifically are: a)tablets/syrups b)inhalers for asthma c)suppositories and d)intravenous forms of treatment allowed.
    The question of inhalers for asthma is very pertinent to us in the UK, as some 20% of young people now suffer from asthma.
    I would appreciate a detailed response with reference to any conference proceedings etc if possible

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There follows a list of a number of things used in the medical field, explaining what does and does not break the fast. This is a summary of shar’i research presented to the Islamic Fiqh Council during its regular meetings:

I – The following things do not have any effect on the fast:

1. Eye drops, ear drops, ear syringing, nose drops and nasal sprays – so long as one avoids swallowing any material that may reach the throat.

2. Tablets or lozenges that are placed beneath the tongue for the treatment of angina pectoris etc., so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

3. Vaginal pessaries, douching, use of a speculum, or internal digital examination.

4. Introduction of a scope or coil (IUD), etc., into the uterus.

5. Introduction of a scope or catheter into the urethra (male of female), or injection of dyes for diagnostic imaging, or of medication, or cleaning of the bladder.

6. Drilling of teeth (prior to filling), extraction or polishing of teeth, using a miswaak or toothbrush, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

7. Rinsing, gargling or applying topical treatment in the mouth, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

8. Injections, whether subcutaneous, intra-muscular or intra-venous – with the exception of those used for purposes of nutrition.

9. Oxygen.

10. Anaesthetics, so long as they do not supply nutrition to the patient.

11. Medicines absorbed through the skin, such as creams, lotions and patches used to administer medication through the skin.

12. Introduction of a catheter into the veins in order to examine or treat the vessels of the heart or other organs.

13. Laparoscopy for the purpose of diagnosis or surgical treatment of the abdominal organs.

14. Biopsies of the liver and other organs, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

15. Gastroscopy, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

16. Introduction of medicine or instruments into the brain or spinal cord.

17. Involuntary vomiting (as opposed to self-induced vomiting).

II – The Muslim doctor should advise his patient to postpone the above-described treatments and procedures until after he has broken his fast, if it is safe to do so and will not cause any harm (even if these procedures will not have any effect on his fast).

Last edited by shible; 10-07-2007 at 11:49 PM.
    Medicines during Fasting

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Medicines during Fasting

format_quote Originally Posted by shible View Post

[*]Involuntary vomiting (as opposed to self-induced vomiting).[/LIST]

Glad to read this.. I suffer from motion sickness on occasion when I am not in the driver's seat... so happens I ended up retching some time during the first week of Ramadan.. entirely acid content since there was no food in my stomach, fortunately I continued my fast though I was advised I needed to make it up later.. and now I won't...
    Jazaka Allah kyran
    Medicines during Fasting

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Medicines during Fasting

chat Quote

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cool Re: Medicines during Fasting

Injections, whether subcutaneous, intra-muscular or intra-venous – with the exception of those used for purposes of nutrition.
    What about 'flush'? S

It's intra venous but it has water in it and some medicine i think sodium chloride or summin and am pretty sure it reaches ya stomach 'cause it makes you go to the loo 5000 times a day.

Does that mean it plays a part in giving nutrition?
    Medicines during Fasting

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am not too good in the field of medicine but here are some more informations

Two scenarios may apply to having injections during the day in Ramadaan:

1 – Where the injection provides nourishment that takes the place of food and drink; this kind of injection invalidates the fast because it is like eating and drinking.

2 – Where what is injected is not a kind of nourishment; this does not break the fast or affect it. In this case it makes no difference whether the injection is into a vein or a muscle.

But if it is possible to have these injections at night, that is better and more on the safe side with regard to the fast.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz was asked about the ruling on a person who had intravenous and intramuscular injections during the day in Ramadaan when he was fasting and completed his fast – was his fast invalidated and does he have to make it up, or not?

He replied:

His fast is valid, because an injection into a vein is not like eating or drinking; this applies more so in the case on an intramuscular injection. But if he makes it up in order to be on the safe side, that is better. If it can be delayed until nighttime, if he needs to have it, that is better too, so as to avoid an area of scholarly dispute.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked in Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 220) about the ruling on having injections into a vein, muscle or the buttock.

He replied:

There is nothing wrong with having injections into a vein, muscle or buttock, and that does not break the fast, because this is not one of the things that break the fast; it is not food or drink, and it is not like eating or drinking. We have already explained that this does not have any effect on the fast. What does affect the fast is when a sick person is given an injection of something that takes the place of food and drink.

The Standing Committee was asked about the ruling on administering medicine via injection during the day in Ramadaan, whether that is nourishment or medication.

They replied: it is permissible to administer medicine by needle into a muscle or vein to a fasting person during the day in Ramadaan, but it is not permissible for the fasting person to be given a nourishing injection during the day in Ramadaan, because that comes under the ruling on eating or drinking, so that injection is regarded as a means of breaking the fast in Ramadaan. If the injection can be given into a muscle or vein at night, that is better.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

masaallah brother you did well, I was als suffering and wanna ask some questions about that.
    thanks for you to much
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think i should have posted this thread on the begining stages of Ramadhan so it would be benefitial more

Anyhow still it serves its purpose
    chat Quote

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we're allowed to use ear drops? Wow... just know that.. jazakAllah

Medicines during Fasting

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

.: Jannati :.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

is the above info from Islam QA?

erm, and say for example, you've sprained your ankle and the docter prescribes you some ibuprofen gel to apply, does that in anyway affect your fast?

Last edited by .: Jannati :.; 10-09-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    Medicines during Fasting

~*~
    Yahyâ ibn Mu‘âdh (rahimahullâh) said:

“Renew your hearts with the remembrance of Allâh because it rushes into forgetfulness.”
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    wat to Say?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't remember whether it was from Islamonline or Islam QA
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghashiyah View Post

is the above info from Islam QA?

erm, and say for example, you've sprained your ankle and the docter prescribes you some ibuprofen gel to apply, does that in anyway affect your fast?

WalaykumSalaam

You're not menno eat it sis
    Medicines during Fasting

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by shible View Post
    I don't remember whether it was from Islamonline or Islam QA

jazaakAllahu Khair anyway..

format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat View Post
    WalaykumSalaam

You're not menno eat it sis

Lol! I didn't mean to eat it either, thats why I said "gel to apply" , as in applying it to the ankle area.

*scratch* still wondering though as its medicine of a sort, does it affect the fast even though your not actually consuming it ? lol I have no idea regarding the rulings on this kinda thing subhan'Allah me thinks me should go do some research
    Medicines during Fasting

~*~

“Renew your hearts with the remembrance of Allâh because it rushes into forgetfulness.”
    chat Quote

Kittygyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salamualikum.
    Kinda err early post

Okay for sis Ghashiyah about the gel apply on ankle... it's alright because your not eating it but for sure ask an sheik/imam

Allaah hu alim

Ma'assalama
    Last edited by Kittygyal; 10-10-2007 at 02:31 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal View Post
    Salamualikum.
    Kinda err early post

Okay for sis Ghashiyah about the gel apply on ankle... it's alright because your not eating it

Allaah hu alim

Ma'assalama
    help i can't breath :'(

Oxygen!!!!!!!! :scared: @ Snowy

sis Ghashiyah i know those types of gels are really strong in scent, so ask a scholar inshaAllah wa ta'ala 'cause the fumes you inhale can reach the stomach Allahu Alim.

oww

Medicines during Fasting

(صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol Allahu Alam regarding the permissibility..but Alhamdulillah a solution has been sort ^
    Last edited by .: Jannati :.; 10-10-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    Medicines during Fasting

~*~

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Kittygyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat View Post
    help i can't breath :'(

Oxygen!!!!!!!! :scared: @ Snowy

sis Ghashiyah i know those types of gels are really strong in scent, so ask a scholar inshaAllah wa ta'ala 'cause the fumes you inhale can reach the stomach Allahu Alim.

oww

oh: You hinting something out?

You want my oxygen?

Anywho don't reply back in this thread do it VIA otherwise this thread will be down the drain which i don't want :smile:

May Allaah guide you... Amin

Ma'assalama
    chat Quote

bewildred's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[email protected] location sounds fun
    Medicines during Fasting

You are the WE of me (Carson McCullers)
    chat Quote

21. Hide
Hey there! Medicines during Fasting Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Medicines during Fasting