× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 27 visibility 4202

Are you God's Friend?

Walter's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Are you God's Friend?

Report bad ads?

Hi Everyone:

Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religious traditions can be learnt and practised without thinking. Prayers can be recited without understanding and without expecting an answer. People can claim a belief in God, but their behaviour can reveal that they do not believe that He can act.

This is not how faith starts. But it is where faith can end. Faith starts with a doubtless belief in God’s ability to act. Then something happens in the intervening years that either reinforces this faith or contaminates it with doubt.

The fact is that God is Almighty, and He desires a personal relationship with each of us. It is the faith of Abraham that Jews, Christians and Muslims are directed to imitate. It is imitated by cultivating a friendship with God, which can eliminate all doubts about His ability. If you are on God’s side, all things are possible.

If you have the faith of Abraham, then all who share this faith are brothers and sisters.

Regards,
    Grenville
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Are you God's Friend?

Thread Approved
    Are you God's Friend?

Herman 1 - Are you God's Friend?

chat Quote

sevgi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Grenville View Post
    Hi Everyone:

Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religious traditions can be learnt and practised without thinking. Prayers can be recited without understanding and without expecting an answer. People can claim a belief in God, but their behaviour can reveal that they do not believe that He can act.

This is not how faith starts. But it is where faith can end. Faith starts with a doubtless belief in God’s ability to act. Then something happens in the intervening years that either reinforces this faith or contaminates it with doubt.

The fact is that God is Almighty, and He desires a personal relationship with each of us. It is the faith of Abraham that Jews, Christians and Muslims are directed to imitate. It is imitated by cultivating a friendship with God, which can eliminate all doubts about His ability. If you are on God’s side, all things are possible.

If you have the faith of Abraham, then all who share this faith are brothers and sisters.

Regards,
    Grenville
    peace be upon u grenville.

what an absolutely beautiful thread.

in one of my recent interfaith panel thingys..the topic was monotheism.we got into God and what he is.

we, with our christian partners in interfaith, decided that God is a frend.

during the panel, i was asked a wonderful question much like this one.the president of the Christian Students Uniting at my uni asked, for muslims, what it is that allows us to live God, how we know he intervenes in our lives.

he expressed the idea that he can feel the Holy spirit while he is praying, and that it is essentially the Holy spirit which puts the words in his mouth and makes em come out the way they do.

as hard as this was for me to grasp, i was obliged to reply. i realised as i answered that the Holy Spirit is part of God.muslims do not seperate God into three, we do believe in the same attributes...

God is a frend.he guides us even when we arent aware of it.if we can come to the realisation that everything is created by him...for us...everything we trod on, everything we touch,,,if we cud just look at them, trod on them conscious of this, we will be more alert of his connection and intervention with us.we will be much closer frends.

and we'd actually thank him for everything...

i dnt know how on topic that was.it was just..something.

peace.
    May God always walk before u..and all of us.
    Are you God's Friend?

"'Cause I hear the whispered words
    In your masterpiece beautiful
    You speak the unspeakable through
    I love you too"
    chat Quote

KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Good attempt at helping to bring the big religions closer together! Yet, I somehow I feel excluded .
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    sevgi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    Good attempt at helping to bring the big religions closer together! Yet, I somehow I feel excluded .
    im sure uve got something that u care most about...maybe u cud relate to that...

like..when ur all alone...and upset...and noone to turn to..isnt there a force..if not something, a thought, a place... which makes u feel better?
    Are you God's Friend?

"'Cause I hear the whispered words
    In your masterpiece beautiful
    You speak the unspeakable through
    I love you too"
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The fact is that God is Almighty, and He desires a personal relationship with each of us. It is the faith of Abraham that Jews, Christians and Muslims are directed to imitate. If you have the faith of Abraham, then all who share this faith are brothers and sisters.

Regards,
    Grenville
    Peace,

i enjoyed that part, Grenville please let us know your views on the abrahamic faith.

Surely its monotheism at its strongest, but what do you think the abrahamic faith promotes?
    Are you God's Friend?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Peace to all,

Friendship has many connotations. Not all would be appropriate to describe a relationship with God(swt). As a Muslim I see myself as a servant of Allaah(swt), in that sense the connotation of friendship that applies is not an equality, but rather a love for my master, with the understanding my master is also my protector.
    Are you God's Friend?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Peace to all,

Friendship has many connotations. Not all would be appropriate to describe a relationship with God(swt). As a Muslim I see myself as a servant of Allaah(swt), in that sense the connotation of friendship that applies is not an equality, but rather a love for my master, with the understanding my master is also my protector.
    my respected sheikh, Allah does indeed take friends though right?

But befriending the almighty isnt simple...
    Are you God's Friend?

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    my respected sheikh, Allah does indeed take friends though right?

But befriending the almighty isnt simple...
    I agree. But, remember I am not a scholar. These are simply my own opinions and like all opinions can be wrong. Astragfirullah. All too often the concept of friendship denotes equality. We can never be the type of friend to Allaah(swt) as he is to us. so our relationship, is more closely to that of parent/child than being that of peer/peer.
    Are you God's Friend?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thankkx Woodrow.

You are on-topic Sumeyye, and to acknowledge the Holy Spirit, but to choose not to see Him as separate from God is revelatory and instructive (certainly instructive for me).

Hi KAding. You are not far from the Kingdom of God. God Himself will draw you to Himself, and you will recognize it. When it happens, just submit to Him and get ready for a new life – Jesus described it as being born all over again.

Hi IbnAbdulHakim:

I believe that the Abrahamic faith promotes a belief and trust in God to the point of obedience.

Many claim to believe, but they do not seem to believe that God can act so they live their lives accordingly. Others claim to believe and trust, but when they are tested with a choice, they chose a way that they have designed for themselves or that others have designed for them, rather than demonstrating their trust and going God’s way.

Then they are those who not only claim to believe and trust, but trust enough to obey. They trust, while acknowledging any doubts that the enormity of their circumstance may have had on their belief, yet they choose to obey. To obey God, regardless of the present circumstances or their logical forecast (especially if it is grim), is to have the faith of Abraham. Such faith grows as a friendship with God as a heavenly Father is cultivated. This friendship matures into love, where we truly love God.

Regards,
    Grenville
    Last edited by Walter; 11-02-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Improved grammar
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi IbnAbdulHakim:

I believe that the Abrahamic faith promotes a belief and trust in God to the point of obedience.
    I agree with this statement. But i wonder what do you know about the man and messenger, Abraham? How he chose to worship, how he differed with his people etc. He was a man sincerely searching for the truth, so God guided him, but if you look at his actions after guidance then a strong realisation will take place..

Many claim to believe, but they do not seem to believe that God can act so they live their lives accordingly.
    If you mean they dont believe that God can make a difference to the outcome after their death, or whilst they live, then i agree.

Others claim to believe and trust, but when they are tested with a choice, they chose a way that they have designed for themselves or that others have designed for them, rather than demonstrating their trust and going God’s way.
    I completely agree with this, we should act in obedience with our creator following the divine instructions he has sent with his messengers.

Then they are those who not only claim to believe and trust, but trust enough to obey.
    these are the true believers, this is what Abraham did, he trusted and when commanded to sacrifice his son, he obeyed ! This is true submission, this is the path to paradise.

They trust, while acknowledging any doubts that the enormity of their circumstance may have had on their belief, yet they choose to obey. To obey God, regardless of the present circumstances or their logical forecast (especially if it is grim), is to have the faith of Abraham. Such faith grows as a friendship with God as a heavenly Father is cultivated. This friendship matures into love, where we truly love God.

Regards,
    Grenville
    Indeed a strong belief ripens within them that their obedience to God in all sincerity will lead them to the truth, and in turn to paradise. Disobedience only plunges them further into sin, and further away from the truth.

We all have sense, this sense is given by our creator, it dictates that we do good, and when we do evil we feel a stinging or smiting within ourselves.

I hope you and us all find guidance to paradise Glen.

And my wish is for you to see the beautiful monotheism of islam

its a pleasure to converse with you.
    Are you God's Friend?

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi IbnAbdulHakim:
    Indeed a strong belief ripens within them that their obedience to God in all sincerity will lead them to the truth, and in turn to paradise. Disobedience only plunges them further into sin, and further away from the truth.

We all have sense, this sense is given by our creator, it dictates that we do good, and when we do evil we feel a stinging or smiting within ourselves.
    You are correct. Our conscience affirms our good actions and convicts us when we do wrong. As we continue to grow, we can be convicted for not only consciously doing wrong, but failing to do good when we have the opportunity to do so. Our conscience can facilitate a relationship with God, for when we feel convicted, it seems that our fellowship with God is broken. A responsible response would then be to submit to God, confess our short comings, determine to do better, and return to an intimate fellowship with God.

Believe me IbnAbdulHakim, I do see the “beautiful monotheism of Islam”, for Abraham rejected the polytheism of his community and chose to obey the only God who is the Creator of us all. Mohammed also rejected the polytheism of his community, sought the God of Abraham, and provided us with the Qu’ran. No-one can fail to see the beauty in the verses that extol the majesty of the one and only God.

Christians also acknowledge the God of Abraham, and they are instructed to know Him not only as the God of Abraham, but also as their loving Heavenly Father. The Messiah Jesus came to make this possible. Jesus said “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” Mohammed acknowledged Jesus, not only as a Prophet, but as the Messiah.

Regards,
    Grenville
    chat Quote

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Perhaps a better way to describe this "friendship" with God is simply to say a "relationship" with God. I believe that God does indeed seek out this relationship with His creation.
    Are you God's Friend?

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Perhaps a better way to describe this "friendship" with God is simply to say a "relationship" with God. I believe that God does indeed seek out this relationship with His creation.
    I agree. All of creation submits to the Will of Allah according to their very nature - except for mankind and jinn who have individual will to either obey or to disobey Allah. Our proper relationship with Allah should be one of humble servant before his Lord and Master.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is the Christian faith in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit qualitatively the same as the faith that Abraham had in his Creator? Though my faith is quantitatively much less that that of Abraham, I believe that qualitatively my faith in Allah is the same as that of Abraham in the same One God.

In Islam we believe in three classes of people on the Day of Judgement. Quran 56:7-12 Then you shall be divided into three groups: those on the right hand - how blessed shall be the people of the right hand; those on the left hand - how dam*ed shall be the people of the left hand; and foremost shall be the foremost. They will be nearest to Allah, in the gardens of bliss.

Abraham is known as the friend of Allah. Quran 4:125 Who has a better Deen (way of life or religion) than the one who is a Muslim (submits himself entirely) to Allah, does good to others and follows the faith of Ibrahim (Abraham) the upright one, whom Allah chose to be His friend?

We believe that the prophets (such as Ibrahim) are among those brought near to Allah with the supreme level of reward. Knowing my personal limitations and characteristics, I have no hope to become a "friend of Allah". My highest hope is to have been judged merely as an humble servant of Allah with more good deeds than bad deeds on that fateful Day and to receive my book in my right hand - Insha'Allah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

.... However, in another sense of the word, I do consider myself a friend of Allah since I don't consider Him to be my enemy and I don't consider Satan to be my friend.

Quran 10:62-64 Be aware! The friend of Allah has nothing to fear or to regret. Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil, for them there is good news in this life and in the hereafter - Allah's Words do not change - this is indeed the mighty achievement.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[PIE]Hadith Qudsi 25:
    On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: Allah (mighty and sublime be He) said:
    Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about [seizing] the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.

It was related by al-Bukhari.
    [/PIE]

^ That is what Allah Azza Wa Jal said about his Awliah :'( ALLAH HUAKBAR
    Are you God's Friend?

Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters
    Bs53AicCAAACVpFsmall - Are you God's Friend?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi MustafaMc:

There are various types of relationship that we can have with God. They are described below.

1. Unbelievers - those who insult God by rejecting the evidence of His creation and ascribing His handiwork to another, will surely be the losers in the hereafter.

2. Partial believers - those who believe that God exists but do not think that He cares. They believe that God is like some cosmic force that has somehow put some universal laws in motion. They can somehow make things happen by tapping unto this force and understanding the laws. They therefore do good to invest in good Karma or some equivalent. They may pray, but without understanding.

3. Believers and partial submitters – those who believe in the God of Abraham, but believe that He only intervenes on behalf of the very devout. They have submitted some of their lives to God, principally to secure a place in heaven. Their relationship with God is based on a fear of hell, and they obey only in the area of their lives that they have submitted to God.

4. Believers and submitters – those who continue to submit every area of their lives to God, including their assets, spending choices, education, employment, family, choice of friends, choice of mate, bodies, future plans, etc. They obey God because they trust in His love and care for them. They pray to Him as their loving Heavenly Father, and trust and obey Him in that role.

Jesus said that God is our Heavenly Father and that He cares for us. Jesus also said that God knows the number of hairs on our heads. He described the Kingdom of God as something within us. As we submit more and more of our lives to God’s rule, what is submitted becomes part of that enlarging Kingdom.

God’s intent for us appears to be, among other things, that we may be His ambassadors, both on the earth and in the hereafter.

Now you asked:
    Is the Christian faith in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit qualitatively the same as the faith that Abraham had in his Creator? Though my faith is quantitatively much less that that of Abraham, I believe that qualitatively my faith in Allah is the same as that of Abraham in the same One God.
    I believe that the Christian faith in the Father can be qualitatively at least the same as the Abrahamic faith. Our ‘faith in Jesus’ is really a short way of saying our ‘faith in the work of Jesus the Messiah’. It is because of this work that we can have a Father/child type of relationship with God, rather than only a Master/servant type.

Regards,
    Grenville
    chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Its hard to say about it but i wouldnt call myself a God's friend.I dont pray, I mean i do it only in my church. i also dont have something called "personal relationship with Christ", but in the same time i must say that i can trust God and He rarely fails me.I can count on Him, but friend is too big word i guess.
    Are you God's Friend?

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi Aaron:

We are all at different stages of belief in our relationship with God. However, we should all aim for Jesus’ ideal, and the way to achieve that ideal is described in the both the Bible and the Qu’ran. It starts with a master/servant type of training, with obedience to God and excellent service to each other. You can read Matthew Ch.5 to 7 where Jesus describes what our responses should be during our training.

Regards,
    Grenville
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Are you God's Friend? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Are you God's Friend?