× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 79 visibility 6984

Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

A British primary school teacher in Sudan is facing 40 lashes and up to six months in prison after allowing her pupils to name a teddy bear after the prophet Mohammed.

Link to full story -
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsudan226.xml

Your reaction?

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

Good thing it wasn't a Porky Pig likeness. Then she would really be in a spot of trouble.

Doesn't one have to be a believer to blaspheme? Seems to me that was part of the problem with Rushdie...he unreverted.

'Abd al-Baari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    al-Taalib
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I personally think that its kind of extreme :/

I mean 'Muhammad' is a very popular name, Alhamdulillah, and probaly more so in muslim countries like Sudan so if a class of 7 year olds decide to call their teddy Muhammad, although it might be wrong, its not her fault is it

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

Isn't Muhammad also a name for ordinary people? Maybe the kids just liked that name, I doubt some young Muslim primary school kids intended it as blasphemy. It seems a bit ridiculous to whip somebody over this...

wwwislamicboardcom - Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Teddy bears usually have eyes and as I recall portraying eyes is haraam. Connecting the prophet with haraam things is also haraam, I guess.
    Last edited by Whatsthepoint; 11-26-2007 at 11:42 PM.

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just saw this on the news and found it stupidly funny:zip:, she could either get 6 months in prison or 40 lashes, which is a bit harsh
    Last edited by aadil77; 11-26-2007 at 09:41 PM.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post

I just saw this on the news and found it stupidly funny:zip:, she could either get 6 months in prison or 40 lashes, which is a bit harsh
    It is funny in a oddly anachronistic and archaic way....sort of like someone using cow dung and mud for hair gel.

chosen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

fine way to promote foreign teachers going to islamic countries to teach...COME TO OUR COUNTRY AND WE WILL WHIP YOU..watch how many teachers are lost over this..this poor women.

sabah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by chosen View Post
    fine way to promote foreign teachers going to islamic countries to teach...COME TO OUR COUNTRY AND WE WILL WHIP YOU..watch how many teachers are lost over this..this poor women.
    lol, this is crazy im sure its an innocent mistake. I hope the women is released with no charge, its crazy to think she should be punished. This will be just another example for some haters to percieve islam as an immoral religion.

12. Report bad ads?
    Chechnya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sabah View Post
    lol, this is crazy im sure its an innocent mistake. I hope the women is released with no charge, its crazy to think she should be punished. This will be just another example for some haters to percieve islam as an immoral religion.
    Sudan isnt an islamic state so its not surprising they come out with some nonsense like this

nadia85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I saw it on the news last nite and think there making a big deal out of it I dont think the teacher is in the wrong or meant to cause offence

MTAFFI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya View Post
    Sudan isnt an islamic state so its not surprising they come out with some nonsense like this
    hmmm... not an islamic state, is that because there isnt a radical form of islam trying to fight the evil kuffar there? Last time I checked Sudan was 70% Muslim

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    - Bertrand Russell

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the
    enemy." - George Washington

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Like with most things we can only see the side of the issue that is presented to us.

Based on the side shown to us. This action is very extreme and uncalled for. There is no indication that when the "Teddy" was named Muhammad that it was meant to be in reference to the Prophet(PBUH).

If an error was made, it seems the best choice is to correct the error with the most gentle correction feasible. This seems to be an extreme and uncalled for.

I believe the people need to ask themselves: "What would Muhammad(PBUH) have done?"

That is my opinion and is based only upon what I can see. Astragfirullah

Herman 1 - Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sudan not a muslim country....this women is being whipped by the authorities as a form of punishment for insulting the islamic prophet..much like the rape victim in saudi arabia geeting 200 lashes for having the nerve to leave her house and associate with someone not related to her...two different "muslim" men I have spoken to told me she asked to be raped and if she would have stayed home like a muslim women should she would have never been raped..but this is comming from two muslim men talking to me, an unrelated women..lol double standards abound..

18. Report bad ads?
    Jayda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    A British primary school teacher in Sudan is facing 40 lashes and up to six months in prison after allowing her pupils to name a teddy bear after the prophet Mohammed.

Link to full story -
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsudan226.xml

Your reaction?
    hola

obviously this is horrible, unchivalrous and quite strange. children should be allowed to play with safe wholesome toys like teddy bears, rather than barbie dolls and computer games and if they wish to name their teddy bears after someone or something that is dear to them then it is all the better. it is important to remember that Sudan is a very economically depressed country, with education and stability problems and the government is oppressive. sometimes the news runs articles like these to provoke discussion or bring larger issues (like the state of Sudan) to our attention. i fear that this is not always the result and that people will use these reports to substantiate wild accusations against groups (africans, muslims or the sudanese themselves) that were not the intended targets.

que Dios te bendiga

mexicano by anexos 1 - Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed16920 1 - Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the media runs stories like these to what????? The cariest part of all this is not what is happenning to this one women..the scariest most unjust part of this is the fact that this is the one case the media has hilighted..the lord only knows the level of abuses perpetrated on innocent people for doing harmless innocent things such as this...If I were a teacher in any country that has even one islamic extremist in its goverment I would be packing my bags right now....

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for the replies. They were along the lines i expected that it is a major overreaction.

My feeling is that it was too and that cooler heads should prevail. I see it as the reaction from a few within the group of parents (I wonder if it was the parents of the 3 kids that didn't vote for the name) and in the government.

My worry is that now its become a political case and I wonder if the people who just want this to be over handle it. Will they get pressure for not being Islamic if nothing is done and how do they deflect that?

Thanks.

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by chosen View Post
    the media runs stories like these to what????? The cariest part of all this is not what is happenning to this one women..the scariest most unjust part of this is the fact that this is the one case the media has hilighted..the lord only knows the level of abuses perpetrated on innocent people for doing harmless innocent things such as this...If I were a teacher in any country that has even one islamic extremist in its goverment I would be packing my bags right now....
    You annoy me. *Waits for the tongue lash*.

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
    hmmm... not an islamic state, is that because there isnt a radical form of islam trying to fight the evil kuffar there?
    Since there isn't a radical form of Islam there "fighting the evil kuffar". I wonder who's fighting the 'Briton' there.

Geee. I think I dislike the Sudanese form of judgement.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya View Post
    Universal excuse number 2-A.

Is there now or has there ever been an Islamic state?

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti View Post
    Universal excuse number 2-A.

Is there now or has there ever been an Islamic state?

This has been explained by the Messenger of Allaah, peace be upon him:

"The Prophethood will last among you for as long as Allah (God) wills, then Allah would take it away. Then it will be (followed by) a Khilafah [caliphate] Rashida (rightly guided) according to the ways of the Prophethood. It will remain for as long as Allah wills, then Allah would take it away. Afterwards there will be a hereditary leadership which will remain for as long as Allah wills, then He will lift it if He wishes. Afterwards, there will be biting oppression, and it will last for as long as Allah wishes, then He will lift it if He wishes. Then there will be a Khilafah Rashida according to the ways of the Prophethood," then he kept silent.

[recorded in Musnad Imam Ahmad (v/273)]

We're under the underlined stage, and all the events before it have occured in our islamic history. Inshaa'Allaah the rest of the prophecy will soon come into effect.

According to the hadith, the prophet (peace be upon him) will be followed by rightly guided caliphs and after those caliphs (Abu Baker, Omar, Uthman and Ali) will come hereditary leadership (the other Caliphs from the Umayyad to the Uthmani) and after that will come tyrannical rule (today) and after that will come a rightly guided caliphs yet again God willing.

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Briton faces lashes in Sudan over teddy named Mohammed