× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 24 visibility 3546

Dressing appropriatly in U.S

truemuslim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    same as tupac........beneath u. under the dirt. lost inside the earth. left the spark 4 u, nd left
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Assalamu alaikum. I am in the U.S right now, whenever I see a muslim at a store or something (rarely) I see the ladies are usually wearing a hijab, decent shirt, and tight jeans. It would be OK if they were wearing a long skirt or something, but I have never seen any of them wearing a jilbab or od long skirt or anything nonharam. Yes, they do wear a hijab, but thats not all a muslim should wear. the only people I have seen dress decently in the U.S are yemeni's, nothing else. and sometimes Saudi arabians. But there is an islamic dress code called Satr, and we should all follow it! Here is what I know about it : According to the Islamic dress code Satr, mature girls and women should cover there entire body except the face and hands when they are out in public, or when there are men other than their close relitives are present. They may wear whatever they like in private. However, avoid nakedness even in front of close relatives and women.

Mature boys and men are required to cover the body between the navel and the knees at the very least. However, it is best to wear modest clothing. They should also avoid nakedness, even in front of other men and close relatives. Men are also forbidden from wearing gold jewelery and silk clothing.

BOTH MEN AND WOMEN SHOULD WEAR LOOSE AND THICK ENOUGH CLOTHING SO THE SHAPE OF THE BODY IS NOT OBVIOUS!

If they wear a hijab but tight clothes than why would you wear a hijab??? also some boys are even trying to droop there pants and wear LOOOONG shirts...muslims ?? Thanks. :thankyou:
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Dressing appropriatly in U.S

format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim View Post
    Assalamu alaikum. I am in the U.S right now, whenever I see a muslim at a store or something (rarely) I see the ladies are usually wearing a hijab, decent shirt, and tight jeans. It would be OK if they were wearing a long skirt or something, but I have never seen any of them wearing a jilbab or od long skirt or anything nonharam. Yes, they do wear a hijab, but thats not all a muslim should wear. the only people I have seen dress decently in the U.S are yemeni's, nothing else. and sometimes Saudi arabians. But there is an islamic dress code called Satr, and we should all follow it! Here is what I know about it : According to the Islamic dress code Satr, mature girls and women should cover there entire body except the face and hands when they are out in public, or when there are men other than their close relitives are present. They may wear whatever they like in private. However, avoid nakedness even in front of close relatives and women.

Mature boys and men are required to cover the body between the navel and the knees at the very least. However, it is best to wear modest clothing. They should also avoid nakedness, even in front of other men and close relatives. Men are also forbidden from wearing gold jewelery and silk clothing.

BOTH MEN AND WOMEN SHOULD WEAR LOOSE AND THICK ENOUGH CLOTHING SO THE SHAPE OF THE BODY IS NOT OBVIOUS!

If they wear a hijab but tight clothes than why would you wear a hijab??? also some boys are even trying to droop there pants and wear LOOOONG shirts...muslims ?? Thanks. :thankyou:

Come to Austin and you will see that is not the case everyplace in the USA. although you will not find many Muslim women in the grocery Stores, most will be doing their shopping in the various Halal markets.

Herman 1 - Dressing appropriatly in U.S

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I guess some people try to fit in with the 'American Lifestyle'.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4 View Post

I guess some people try to fit in with the 'American Lifestyle'.
    True, only I would say as what they perceive as the "American Lifestyle" which is more of a Hollywood fantasy. Much like people in the Western world are seeing Bangladesh like 'Bollywood" shows it.

There is no such thing as an "American Lifestyle" an Amish Farmer does not resemble a Texas Cowboy who has no resemblance to a Washington Lawyer that is nothing like a Los Vegas dancer.

Each State here has a very individual life style. Some good, some bad but all different.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Noor 13's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I used to live in Canada there were plenty of girls too dressed in tight pants, a modest shirt and a Hijab. Especially young girls are more dressed this way. I do agree that it is not the proper way to be dressed but I don't want to judge them. They might still be sincere Muslims in their heart. I saw in different Islamic countries women properly dressed but not behaving the way we should as Muslim women. The dress alone doesn't make people true believers

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeh, but if you think about it logically sis, if they were strong/true believers, then wouldn't they care about the basic beliefs of Islam? E.g. not wear tight clothing?

(This is purely for the sake of discussion, only Allaah alone Knows whether they are true believers or not.)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4 View Post

Yeh, but if you think about it logically sis, if they were strong/true believers, then wouldn't they care about the basic beliefs of Islam? E.g. not wear tight clothing?

(This is purely for the sake of discussion, only Allaah alone Knows whether they are true believers or not.)
    I will agree I have seen some Muslim Dressing like that in the vicinity of New York and Chicago. But, I suspect it is more of a "Big City" thing. There is too much anonymity in the large Cities. However, I tend to stay away from large cities and find that small town people are usually much more conservative in their clothing and behavior. I don't get get out very often any more. so I can only speak of what I see in my own immediate area. The Muslims here do dress very conservatively and very proper.

chat Quote

mariam.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    "the land which We have blessed for the nations."(21:71)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lightbulb Re: Dressing appropriatly in U.S

that's go on even in Islamic country, I live in syria and I saw that every where .. very sad to say

O' My God I am so proud that I am your slave
    chat Quote

chosen's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I live in New York and here you see everything...from muslim women with their faces covered and wearing gloves..to muslims in tight jeans and tank tops....the important thing to remember is that this is also common among christians..christians, especially christian women are told to dress modestly..
    Please aways remember to hate the sin and not the sinner..
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    doodlebug's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the only people I have seen dress decently in the U.S are yemeni's, nothing else.
    assalam alaykum

Where are you looking in the US? I see many muslims dressed decently but I wouldn't have a clue if they were Yemeni or not. How do you know they're Yemeni?

I wear a long button down shirt and either a long skirt or loose pants to work but I see no reason to wear a jilbab over it all. To me that's more of a cultural thing than a religious thing and since I am from the US, not from the Middle East, I'd rather dress similarly to what I'm used to. It is difficult though to retain one's culture when trying to dress as a muslimah, but I do try.
    chat Quote

qassy!'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If they wear a hijab but tight clothes than why would you wear a hijab???
    In London the girls are the same tight clothes n everything

and

The Hibjab girls in the college are like the worst!!! there where tight clothes

I dunno the girls in london where hijab but still link boys, so they dress 2 impress could be same in the usa?

well....well....well.............
    chat Quote

Intisar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why don't you approach these sisters and try and give them some sincere da'wah or naseeha? Maybe they're just unaware that what they're wearing is not correct.

*Acausal synchronicity*

Please make du'a for my mom and Dad.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    same as tupac........beneath u. under the dirt. lost inside the earth. left the spark 4 u, nd left
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    assalam alaykum

Where are you looking in the US? I see many muslims dressed decently but I wouldn't have a clue if they were Yemeni or not. How do you know they're Yemeni?

I wear a long button down shirt and either a long skirt or loose pants to work but I see no reason to wear a jilbab over it all. To me that's more of a cultural thing than a religious thing and since I am from the US, not from the Middle East, I'd rather dress similarly to what I'm used to. It is difficult though to retain one's culture when trying to dress as a muslimah, but I do try.

yea if you wair that you dont need a jilbab though. nice dressing sister...also i know they are yemeni when we meet them a t the mosque and stuff. not all are yemeni though
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena* View Post
    Why don't you approach these sisters and try and give them some sincere da'wah or naseeha? Maybe they're just unaware that what they're wearing is not correct.
    yes sister i do when i can.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's a similar situation all over the world, what with TV reaching practically everyone, EVERYONE EVERYWHERE is trying to fit in with the typical image of a "beautiful woman". Then putting a hijab on.

edit to add- Also, people seem to assume that hijab is just a scarf you wear on your head. I'm not just talking about the tight clothes some people wear with hijab, but also about their behavior in public. Hijab is an attitude, it's a way of life. They act just like everyone they see on tv, not stopping to consider if it's right or not. I've even seen hijabis flirting!
    Last edited by crayon; 12-14-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to add more

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mariam. View Post
    that's go on even in Islamic country, I live in syria and I saw that every where .. very sad to say

Yes...umm..no offence but lets not look at syrians... well i see them on the t.v ...and WoW, no diff between them and the americans. they were even drinking beer! can that "islamic country" get ANY LOWER THAN THAT??? of course not all of them, i hear nasheeds by some syrians... but then i look where they are from and i see they were from syria but raised in mekka, so yea. thanks.

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon View Post
    It's a similar situation all over the world, what with TV reaching practically everyone, EVERYONE EVERYWHERE is trying to fit in with the typical image of a "beautiful woman". Then putting a hijab on.

edit to add- Also, people seem to assume that hijab is just a scarf you wear on your head. I'm not just talking about the tight clothes some people wear with hijab, but also about their behavior in public. Hijab is an attitude, it's a way of life. They act just like everyone they see on tv, not stopping to consider if it's right or not. I've even seen hijabis flirting!
    Exactly! Thats what I see girls doing in my MOSQUE!!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please don't tell me that by "that" you mean flirting?!
    Please?
    :S

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please don't tell me that by "that" you mean flirting?!
    Please?
    :S
    that= flirting, laughing, and hanging around with them in the kiddy rooms whille the moms are upstairs praying not knowing what there 15-19 year old daughters are doing...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow.

alhamdullilah.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wow.
    thats the word!
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Dressing appropriatly in U.S Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Dressing appropriatly in U.S