× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 105 visibility 9589

Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Peace mercy and blessings be upon those who follow guidance,

BY JESSICA CUNNIFFE

Secret Santa's unacceptable offering was a pack of bacon and a bottle of wine

A police officer has resigned after he gave a Muslim colleague a pack of bacon and a bottle of wine as a 'secret Santa' present during a Christmas party at Luton Police Station.

The victim, understood by this newspaper to be a PC Mahmood, was presented with the offensive gift on Christmas Eve.

The colleague behind the anonymous prank, which happened in front of fellow police officers and supervisors, did not own up immediately, but subsequently resigned during his section's next working shift on December 28.

The Koran prohibits the consumption of pork and alcohol - and even coming into contact with them is considered insulting by some Muslims.

Mobeen Qureshi, secretary and co-ordinator of Luton Asian community group Khidmat, believes the severity of the gesture cannot be understated.

"It is not acceptable to be given this. A true Muslim wouldn't touch them and I would be very offended and angry if I was given them.

"The Asian community has a good relationship with the police and I have worked with them for a long time.

"But we have realised that some of these sorts of people have infiltrated the police force. It is very unfortunate that this incident happened."

The incident happened in the year that a report rated Bedfordshire Police the worst force in the country - and its low intake of ethnic employees was given as one reason for this ranking.

In fact the latest performance report to Bedfordshire Police Authority in December stated that no officers from ethnic minority backgrounds were recruited by the force over the last year.

The report prompted police authority chairman Peter Conniff to say: "Part of the problem is that there are very few applicants from ethnic minority backgrounds.

"It is surprising, considering the ethnic make-up of Luton and Bedford.

"We need to try to encourage more every way we can."

The force denies that racism is prevalent and a police spokeswoman said this was a one-off incident between individuals.

Police training in Luton includes some officers attending the central mosque to learn about Islam. Student officers also complete a week's attachment to community groups, while a Muslim preschool in Luton and a secondary school attached to a Mosque assist in further training.

But Dr Ali Dizaei, President of the National Black Police Association, said such incidents occur frequently.

"These are common experiences for the Muslim community in the UK and Muslim police officers," he said.

"I am very encouraged that the police swiftly intervened and that the culprit has resigned.

"I hope that sends out a clear message to people that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated."

A police spokeswoman said: "Although this matter was intended as a joke between officers, Bedfordshire Police takes seriously its obligations as an organisation which not only serves, but employs, a diverse range of staff from the county's wide mix of backgrounds.

"Behaviour of this nature is not tolerated by Bedfordshire Police and after the incident was brought to the attention of senior managers, the officer concerned chose to resign with immediate effect.

His decision is welcomed by the force."

source: http://www.lutononsunday.com/lutonon....asp?ID=246182

Sorry bro it's there now!
    Last edited by Pk_#2; 01-07-2008 at 08:29 PM.

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin

2. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague

Boring rule stuff - you need to provide the actual link to the story, rather than just to the Luton on Sunday website.

Jayda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

what a nasty thing to do to somebody

mexicano by anexos 1 - Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague16920 1 - Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Boring rule stuff - you need to provide the actual link to the story, rather than just to the Luton on Sunday website.
    Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague - Luton on Sunday

Secret Santa's unacceptable offering was a pack of bacon and a bottle of wine A police officer has resigned after he gave a Muslim colleague a pack of bacon ...

6. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55 View Post
    Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague - Luton on Sunday

Secret Santa's unacceptable offering was a pack of bacon and a bottle of wine A police officer has resigned after he gave a Muslim colleague a pack of bacon ...

Jazakallah khier.

Guys, don't make this NoName's unofficial duty - please provide the source in the original post.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    In need of Dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

that is really sick... it amazes me what some ppl consider to be 'funny'
    he should have been sacked rather than giving him the oppertunity to resign

brightness_1
    subhanAllah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This joke is the equivalent of a third grader who finds burping amusing. So juvenile. When will people just grow up?

Buuuuut, just to add, the muslim shouldn't have been participating in the secret santa anyway... Just sayin'..
    Last edited by crayon; 01-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.

alhamdullilah.

caroline's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Okay, I guess I'm going to present the unpopular opinion here.

Coming from a military family in the United States in which I was the only girl with 4 older brothers, I am going to say that lots of men in this culture are ruthless pranksters. Now, before people get up in arms, let me explain. Men play all kinds of rude and what I would consider mean practical jokes on each other. They do things that are offensive to each other's physical appearance, their religion, their heritage... all kinds of stuff. They're pretty careful about racial stuff because of the US history around that, but pretty much everything else is fair game. Catholics say things about Protestants and Protestants say things about the Pope. They cram a guy in the trashcan rearend first so he's stuck in there and laugh at him. They put boot polish on the rim of a guy's hat so it gets all over his head when he puts his hat on. They fake a dead body and send one of the new cops out to the scene to mess with him. They get into his computer and send love notes to the boss from him. They do all sorts of rude things. They torment each other a LOT.

Now, in general, most people are a lot less touchy about their religion than Muslims (or so it seems from whats been said in some of these articles). In the states, especially in police, military, and other fields that are largely male and rough -- people say things about other people's religions and do things that would be considered heresy to the next guy all the time. People who are friends say the most awful things to each other in jest. Name calling, making fun of each other's hair or figure or religion or even race sometimes (some of my friends and I tease each other about our blackness or whiteness or other aspects of our ethnicity).

So, first of all, some of this is a cultural misunderstanding. I am not justifying what the guy did or how offensive it apparently was to this brother. But when do we start to stop and consider the fact that these kinds of things might not ALWAYS be some sort of malicious personal attack intended to harm someone. When do we stop and consider that perhaps we might need to think about not being so knee jerk defensive and try to humanely educate people. Instead of having a chip on our shoulder the size of Texas, how about talking to people and explaining that things like that are more offensive to Muslims than they might be to other religious groups because of the ways Muslims see things... at least give people a CHANCE to begin to UNDERSTAND Muslims.

I just think it's really sad that this guy lost his entire career over one stupid mistake. It's not like he raped somebody. He make a rude, ignorant mistake and it just might have been a case of going overboard with a stupid practical joke.

How much more compassionate and wise would it been to sit down with the guy and the boss and explain the feelings of a Muslim and give the guy a chance to really understand Islam.

You never know, that kind of compassion and patience and wisdom might have made him think about exploring Islam. Instead now he has lost his career and is probably suffering trying to figure out a way to survive and care for his family. None of us knows how long it took him to train and learn that job.

Now, had he been given a chance and came out saying, yeah I knew it was awful and would really hurt the guy but I wanted to. Then that's another story.

But we all live in a multicultural society here in the US. Catholics live next door to Wiccans and Atheists and Pentecostals and Muslims and they all have to see their various holiday decorations or religious symbols on their houses and lawns and cars. They all have to hear each others music coming out their windows in the summer time. They all have to see each other's worship sites on their way to their own, complete with Star of David or Cross or Wiccan symbols and their eyes don't burn out from it. We all have to hear each other say "God bless you." "Goddess bless you." "Insha Allah." "Mother Mary." etc... And none of us turns into a pillar of salt from hearing it. We have to drive by statues of all sorts of things, many of them representing one belief system or another.

My question is this: Why should Muslims be the only religion that deserves to be shielded from any element of any other belief system and how does that attitude represent Islam? I am not just speaking of this incident, but of the other articles similar to this like the outcry over a statue of an indigenous sea god being erected by the shore of a fishing village because there was a mosque nearby and the statue would offend the Muslims, and Muslims having a no go zone in areas of London where non Muslims were not welcome to enter... etc. Whether or not every one of those articles has been portrayed exactly correctly or not, I think it's time to start consider losing the chip on the shoulder and spreading understanding instead of representing Islam as intolerant and merciless. No eyes are going to be opened to the glory of Allah like that.

JMHO

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    In need of Dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just think it's really sad that this guy lost his entire career over one stupid mistake. It's not like he raped somebody. He make a rude, ignorant mistake and it just might have been a case of going overboard with a stupid practical joke.
    Sorry but someone giving wine and bacon to a muslim is more than just a 'mistake' he did this with intent, knowing it would offend his muslim work collegue. It goes beyond the 'pratical joke' category. It lacks dignity and respect, there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour but this 'crossed the line' and i bet there would be the same outcry if it was vice versa, should the muslim officer have given a gift with 'intent' to cause offense.

12. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm absolutely amazed that he lost this job over this. Wine and bacon are everywhere in the UK.

The 'victim' should just refuse the 'gift' and someone should explain to the 'perpetrator' it wasn't funny in the least.

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    I'm absolutely amazed that he lost this job over this. Wine and bacon are everywhere in the UK.

The 'victim' should just refuse the 'gift' and someone should explain to the 'perpetrator' it wasn't funny in the least.
    That would have shed a much more positive light on Muslims in general.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯) View Post
    Sorry but someone giving wine and bacon to a muslim is more than just a 'mistake' he did this with intent, knowing it would offend his muslim work collegue. It goes beyond the 'pratical joke' category. It lacks dignity and respect, there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour but this 'crossed the line' and i bet there would be the same outcry if it was vice versa, should the muslim officer have given a gift with 'intent' to cause offense.
    It was rude, no doubt. But it's not like they held him down and forced him to eat it. It was stupid and rude, but not cause for someone to lose their job. If you saw some of the things those men do to each other... well, it's at least as rude as that and often more so. All I'm saying is that instead of being so knee jerk defensive, how about looking around at the culture, realizing that nobody is immune, and using these incidents as opportunity to show some wisdom, patience, and increased understanding. Why is this such a huge deal? That's what I don't get. There are art museums in the US with statues of Jesus floating around in urine. The Christians don't like it and they raised a ruckus but in the end they had to accept that we have freedom of speech. How many times are Christians made fun of at work, "Hey jesus boy..." "Jesus freak." "Crazy fundamentalist nutjob." Do those people lose their livelihood over it? No. All I am saying is that maybe it's time to grow up and realize there are lots of people in the world.

But then I grew up in a military family with 4 older brothers. I got teased HARD, sometimes just to make sure I learned to take it. Any sign of a chip on the shoulder was a signal that it needed to get knocked off. I know about these things and I know that nobody is immune. Getting all bent out of shape over things like this and somebody losing their livelihood does not shed a good light on Muslims. Now, I think that's important.

What if he would have sat down with the guy and said, "You know, I realize you were probably just trying to be funny but can I explain to you why this is so offensive to me?" That guy might have been able to win that man's heart. But you can bet it will never happen NOW.

I have faced so many unbelievably offensive things in my professional career... one incident in particular I remember I could almost not bear it. I would have to excuse myself and go in the bathroom and cry and then fix myself and go back to work.

I just think the whole issue could be dealt with in a much more mature, wise, compassionate and POLITE manner. And in a manner that would represent Islam in a positive way instead of making Muslims look petty, over sensitive, intolerant and unmerciful. I mean, aren't we trying to create more understanding here? Or are we trying to reinforce the negative ideas that are already out there? What's more important -- the fact that someone got offended, or representing Islam in a positive light?

That's all I'm saying.

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Like all stories, we only see as much of it as the press deems pertinent.

On the surface and the way it is written, it does appear to be an over reaction to a distasteful prank. Which is true if that is the entire story.

Because the officer resigned, I suspect there is a bit more to this that what is shown.

Herman 1 - Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯) View Post
    i think it also matters that this is a policeman... not a cashier or librarian... he is in a position of authority over people. that attitude is corrosive in such a position...

mexicano by anexos 1 - Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague16920 1 - Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by caroline View Post
    It was rude, no doubt. But it's not like they held him down and forced him to eat it. It was stupid and rude, but not cause for someone to lose their job. If you saw some of the things those men do to each other... well, it's at least as rude as that and often more so. All I'm saying is that instead of being so knee jerk defensive, how about looking around at the culture, realizing that nobody is immune, and using these incidents as opportunity to show some wisdom, patience, and increased understanding. Why is this such a huge deal? That's what I don't get. There are art museums in the US with statues of Jesus floating around in urine. The Christians don't like it and they raised a ruckus but in the end they had to accept that we have freedom of speech. How many times are Christians made fun of at work, "Hey jesus boy..." "Jesus freak." "Crazy fundamentalist nutjob." Do those people lose their livelihood over it? No. All I am saying is that maybe it's time to grow up and realize there are lots of people in the world.

But then I grew up in a military family with 4 older brothers. I got teased HARD, sometimes just to make sure I learned to take it. Any sign of a chip on the shoulder was a signal that it needed to get knocked off. I know about these things and I know that nobody is immune. Getting all bent out of shape over things like this and somebody losing their livelihood does not shed a good light on Muslims. Now, I think that's important.

What if he would have sat down with the guy and said, "You know, I realize you were probably just trying to be funny but can I explain to you why this is so offensive to me?" That guy might have been able to win that man's heart. But you can bet it will never happen NOW.

I have faced so many unbelievably offensive things in my professional career... one incident in particular I remember I could almost not bear it. I would have to excuse myself and go in the bathroom and cry and then fix myself and go back to work.

I just think the whole issue could be dealt with in a much more mature, wise, compassionate and POLITE manner. And in a manner that would represent Islam in a positive way instead of making Muslims look petty, over sensitive, intolerant and unmerciful. I mean, aren't we trying to create more understanding here? Or are we trying to reinforce the negative ideas that are already out there? What's more important -- the fact that someone got offended, or representing Islam in a positive light?

That's all I'm saying.
    hola Caroline,

i do not think that is necessarily so about military men. they are very competitive but not necessarily in a childish or abusive way. i grew up in a military family... my father, uncle and all of my male cousins are officers (women may not enter the military in my family). my cousins are all religious, ethical and principled gentlemen... like my father, they were also very compassionate and protective of me and never picked on me. they do not and never have treated people like the way this policeman did... it isn't funny when it's so disrespectful.

and just because it is prevalent doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished... i think there is a difference between when people tease me and when people do something exceptionally blasphemous to insult me.

que Dios te bendiga

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am thinking of the sergeant in the privates face screaming insults that can't be repeated in polite company...

But as far as insults, I think the disagreement here is on just how important that is. To me, an insult is not that big of a deal. I think that a large percentage of the time, getting offended is your own choice. And if you do, so what? Why not deal with it in a mature, generous, and compassionate way? Especially if you are representing a religion you love.

That's all I'm saying. There are much more important things in the world to get all bent out of shape over than an insult. Why not use it as an opportunity to show what kind of character your religion has created in you instead of getting someone fired?

ricardo_sousa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

He shouldn´t quit. If it was a joke, he should explain it and apologizie. Very bad times are coming to the UK if for a "food and drink religious joke" is reason to fire someone.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ricardo_sousa View Post
    He shouldn´t quit. If it was a joke, he should explain it and apologizie. Very bad times are coming to the UK if for a "food and drink religious joke" is reason to fire someone.
    how do you know that it was NOT part of or culmination of a sustained campaign by the "innocent" prankster against the Muslim officer?

(I know, I know,it is waste of time as any question I ask of you people gets deleted so can you for once play fair and reply before your friendly modz come and zap it)

ricardo_sousa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

how do you know that it was NOT part of or culmination of a sustained campaign by the "innocent" prankster against the Muslim officer?
    I don´t. But for me it is indifferent if the officer is Muslim, Christan, Hindu...

It was a joke. My grandfather, with other friends, when worked in France used to do the same to the Magreb workers. And it was a joke. This was 30 years ago. If now this has so many importance maybe Europe is really returning to the Dark Ages. History is a always repeating.

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

(I know, I know,it is waste of time as any question I ask of you people gets deleted so can you for once play fair and reply before your friendly modz come and zap it)

why are you so grumpy all the time!

26. Hide
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Cop quits after insulting gift to Muslim colleague