× Register Login What's New! Contact us

View Poll Results: Is Islam compatible with democracy?

Voters
61. Login to vote on this poll
  • Compatible

41 67.21%
  • Incompatible

20 32.79%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 58 visibility 7788

Islam and Democracy: Compatible or Incompatible?

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

You can post your opinions here and insha'Allah I will add some articles.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
    "Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
    Excellent resources on Islam listed HERE.

2. Report bad ads?
    aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Kebabistan

ah interesting topic.

hmmm... where should i start.
    *thinks 4 a moment*

got it.

Islam and democracy huh?
    well, first off u cant really have both of them - well u can but u cant. e.g.
    say i go and make this new country up...say next to austrlia
    lets call it kebab land for now

Now, i am the president of that island. so i make the rules - one man government.
    K, so i take islam as THE main government.
    major rules:
    hijab as compulsory - as it is written in the quran
    namaaz ( 5 daily prayers) - also compulsory
    Charity
    etc
    etc

Now, here coems the hard part. How do i implement these strategies effectively
    i could make the law so that those who do not follow the rules are ,say, fined
    But, will this encourage the people to follow the rules - most likely no
    Option 2: i heavily enforce the rules - those who disobey are severly punished i.e beaten up. now this, clearly is barbaric - HOWEVER, majority of the people would listen because of fear of punishment.

So far, in kebabistan, what has happend is this:
    1) i have kept the religion going
    2) people will obey the rules set due to fear of punishment
    3) i have done my duty as a muslim to preach to others - but have i really done that - or- have i enforced the rules too harshly. are people just obeying because of the fear of MY rules...or are they following islam? are people obeying my commands rather than Allah's?

should i therefore use a different policy in kebabistan?
    or should it remain as it is?

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''

Gardens & Rivers's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Peace be upon you...

Why is Islam against democracy, or is it? Or...what is your idea of democracy that you don't like it? ???

Gardens & Rivers

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Okay...time for me to post articles

For more info: http://www.islamonline.net/english/i.../topic08.shtml

Forming an Islamic Democracy

By Sohaib N. Sultan*

27/09/2004

Before we explore the relationship between Islam and democracy, it is important to understand what exactly the idea of democracy entails because too often the notion of democracy is confused with Western culture and society. As such, analysts often dismiss the compatibility of Islam with democracy, arguing that Islam and secularism are opposite forces, that rule of God is not compatible with rule of man, and that Muslim culture lacks the liberal social attitudes necessary for free, democratic societies to exist.

Arguments that dismiss the notion of an Islamic democracy presuppose that democracy is a non-fluid system that only embraces a particular type of social and cultural vision. However, democracy, like Islam, is a fluid system that has the ability to adapt to various societies and cultures because it is built on certain universally acceptable ideas.

So, what is democracy? In its dictionary definition, democracy is “government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.” As such, elections that express popular consent, freedom of political and social mobilization, and equality of all citizens under the rule of law become essential components of a healthy, functioning democracy.

Implementing the laws of God necessitates the role of man who is given the position of God’s vicegerent or representative on earth.

Those who argue against the compatibility of Islam and democracy usually begin by saying that a democracy gives sovereignty or power of rule to the people, while Islam gives sovereignty or power of rule to God, which would not allow for a “government by the people.” In other words, these skeptics believe that the opposite of democracy in relation to a religious political system must be theocracy, meaning the rule of God on earth by a religious authority or class. However, this argument presupposes that there is a single religious authority or class within the Islamic tradition that has special access to God’s will and therefore has the right and power to impose divine will on the land. This is where the argument fails in relation to Islam, because the Islamic tradition, at least in the majority Sunni teaching, does not recognize a pope-like figure, nor does it preach the establishment of a religious class that has special access to divine will.

In fact, to the contrary, it can be argued that the Qur’an warns against the establishment of a religious class. The Qur’an says that past religious communities took their religious leaders [for their lords beside God]* (At-Tawbah 9:31) and accuses many in the religious class of Jews and Christians of stealing people’s wealth and turning people [away from the path of God] (At-Tawbah 9:34). Furthermore, Muslims believe that after Prophet Muhammad there is no one who has direct access to God’s will, and therefore no one person or group has the legitimacy or authority to claim a pope- or priesthood-like status in the Muslim community. As such, Islam’s political system is not a theocracy.

There is no doubt that an Islamic political system would be bound by the laws, principles, and spirit of the Qur’an and Sunnah, which would serve as the overarching sources of a constitution in an Islamic state. Furthermore, violating or going directly against any sacred teaching of Islam could not be tolerated in an Islamic political system, for doing so would be going against the sources of the constitution. So, in this sense God is recognized as the sole giver of law.

The Qur’an insists on mutual consultation in deciding communal affairs which includes choosing leaders to represent and govern on the community’s behalf.

However, implementing the laws of God, as articulated in the Qur’an and Sunnah, necessitates the role of man who is given the position of God’s vicegerent or representative on earth (Al-Baqarah 2:30) because of his superior intellect, ability to acquire knowledge, and ability to exercise free will. All of these God-given qualities enable man not only to implement sacred law, but also to interpret sacred law and derive from sacred sources the wise principles that form the basis of new laws needed for an ever-changing world with new ethical and moral complexities.

As such, the Islamic political system does not entail a struggle or competition for power between God and man. Rather, God and man function with a unified purpose to bring social benefit and civilization-enhancing laws to the world. Simply put, God is the giver of law in Whom sole authority rests, while man, as a collective body, interprets and implements these laws as God’s representatives on earth. As such, the democratic ideal of a “government by the people” is compatible with the Qur’anic understanding of man’s role on earth, and therefore compatible with the notion of an Islamic democracy. It is important to remember, however, that just as man’s ability to govern is shaped and limited by the founding constitution in a secular democracy, the sacred sources of Islam shape and limit man’s ability to govern within an Islamic democracy.

Electing Leaders

Now, if a government is by the people, then it only makes sense that the people choose or elect those who will govern on their behalf. Is the notion of elections compatible with Islamic teachings? The answer to this question can be found in the Qur’an’s insistence on using shura, or mutual consultation, in deciding communal affairs (Aal `Imran 3:159, Ash-Shura 42:38), which would include choosing, or if you will, electing leaders to represent and govern on the community’s behalf.

Interestingly, a model exists in Islamic history for Muslims in using mutual consultation as a process of selecting a new leader. When Prophet Muhammad was on his deathbed, many of his Companions urged him to name a successor who would lead the community, but the Prophet refused to do so—a clear indication that he wanted the next leader to be chosen through mutual consultation rather than be imposed upon the community. As such, when the Prophet passed away, the most pressing issue for the community was to choose its next leader. Three Companions were nominated to take the post of khalifah (caliph) and in the end, the Prophet’s closest Companion, Abu Bakr, was chosen to be the community’s new leader. Abu Bakr and his three successors, known collectively as the Four Rightly Guided Caliphs, were also chosen in a similar fashion that reflected popular consent. So the idea of choosing a leader in accordance with popular will is certainly not a new idea in the Islamic tradition. As such, the notion of elections is compatible with the idea of an Islamic democracy.

Accountability of Government

Human equality in society and before God is an essential teaching of the Qur’an and a core characteristic of an Islamic ethos.

However, electing leaders to govern is not enough. Holding those who govern accountable is also an essential principle of democracy if government by the people is to work. First, the Qur’anic teaching of mutual consultation does not end in selecting leaders but forms an essential part of governance in which leaders must conduct their affairs in a non-dictatorial manner. Second, leaders are not left to govern based on their own whims and desires; rather their governance must be in accordance with the teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah (An-Nisaa’ 4:59), which form the Islamic State’s constitution. Third, the Qur’an mandates that leaders pay back their trusts to those entitled to it (An-Nisaa’ 4:58), meaning that leaders are responsible to the citizens of the land.

Both Abu Bakr and `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, second caliph of Islam, reflected this notion of accountability in their inaugural addresses when they said to their community, “If I follow the right path, follow me. If I deviate from the right path, correct me so that we are not led astray.” So certainly the role and responsibility of the people within a society extends far beyond choosing a leader within the Islamic political system.

Equality and Freedom

The final two pieces to the puzzle of forming a functioning democracy are the essential notions of equality and freedom in society, without which a people cannot truly govern themselves.

The Qur’an says what means [O humankind, we created you from a male and a female, and We made you races and tribes for you to get to know each other] (Al-Hujurat 49:13). In another verse, the Qur’an says what means [And among the signs of God is the … diversity of your languages and colors] (Ar-Rum 30:22). These verses and many more make human equality in society and before God an essential teaching of the Qur’an and a core characteristic of an Islamic ethos. As such, any Islamic political system would necessitate the respect for equality and diversity of all men and women.

We are all born free, which makes freedom our destiny. This is reflected strongly in the Qur’an’s understanding of human free will, which distinguishes man from the rest of God’s creation. The notion of free will necessitates freedom of choice, and this is why the Qur’an so emphatically states [There is no compulsion in religion] (Al-Baqarah 2:256). The Qur’an also encourages the free formation and mobilization of social and political groups when it says [And let there be a people among you who invite to good and enjoin what is fair, and forbid what is wrong] (Aal `Imran 3:104).

Of course freedom, just as in any other functioning society, is not absolute. There are moral, ethical, and spiritual guidelines for what a society can and cannot tolerate as part of freedom. Islam does teach a rather conservative morality on most issues ranging from modesty laws to business transaction laws, especially in comparison to Western cultural trends. But if the universality of democracy and its fluidity are true, then it must be able embrace Islam’s value system, which itself is based on universal truths and social benefit for humanity.

** Sohaib Sultan is the author of The Koran for Dummies.

"Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    In short, Islam is not against democracy at all. Many muslims and non-muslims alike would be surprised to find that Islam and democracy have much in commonm and are founded on a common set of values. The concept of Shura in Islam is a democratic concept.

There is only ONE difference between Islam and democracy. While both implement laws, the laws of a democracy are subject to change with the societal norms, while the laws of Islam are permanent and divine in origin.

For more info:
    http://www.beconvinced.com

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Democracy in Islam

By IOL* Team

14/08/2003

Every individual in an Islamic society enjoys the rights and powers as the caliph of Allah, and in this respect all individuals are equal. “Caliphate” as a term has frequently been used to describe an Islamic political system based on monarchy, while the authentic notion truly refers to the authority of every single Muslim in his human capacity and his right to enjoy dignity and respect.

The notion of khilafah expresses how Islam empowers human beings and also how the government does not enjoy any special rights apart from those delegated to it by the political community.

The Hobbesian conception of the necessity of the State and its priority and seeing it as a condition for civility does not conform to the Islamic perspective. Yes, the formation of a State is a historical process, but the community comes first. No authority may deprive any citizen of his rights and powers.

The agency for running the affairs of the state will be formed by agreement with these individuals, and the authority of the state will only be an extension of the powers of the individuals delegated to it. Their opinion should be decisive in the formation of the government, which will be run with their advice and in accordance with their wishes.

Whoever gains their confidence will undertake the duties and obligations of the caliphate on their behalf (in the form of political representation); and when he/she loses this confidence he/she will have to step down from his/her specific position and be accountable for his/her actions and decisions. In this respect the political system of Islam is a form of democracy, even if it is not a secular one as democracies are usually defined in contemporary political literature.

What distinguishes Islamic democracy from Western democracy, therefore, is that the latter is based on the concept of popular sovereignty, while the former rests on the principle of popular khilafah, mixing religious devotion with a notion of democracy and citizenship.

In Western democracy, the people are sovereign; in Islam sovereignty is vested in Allah and the people are His caliphs or representatives. The laws given by Allah through His Prophet ( Shari ‘ah) are to be regarded as constitutional principles that should not be violated.

root's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Now people only study for jobs and money.
    It is a misrepresentation of a western society if you beleive that.

Another issue is that you claim democracy is a government run for and voted by it's people, then compare a democracy in Islam as divivine. Yet you completely fail to mention that true democracy forbids religous and military powers from serving in a Government?

Genius's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    format_quote Originally Posted by root
    It is a misrepresentation of a western society if you beleive that.
    I was referring to muslims in particular, I should have made that clear.

Another issue is that you claim democracy is a government run for and voted by it's people, then compare a democracy in Islam as divivine.
    I did not make that claim, niether did i make any of the above comparisons.

Yet you completely fail to mention that true democracy forbids religous and military powers from serving in a Government?
    So......what's your point?

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Another issue is that you claim democracy is a government run for and voted by it's people, then compare a democracy in Islam as divivine. Yet you completely fail to mention that true democracy forbids religous and military powers from serving in a Government?

THATS EXACTLY WOT I MEAN!

islamic ruling and demcoracy cant co-exist

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    Root, democracy is not against Islam at all. The laws in a democracy are decided upon, while the laws in Islam are divine. that's the only difference. Both laws are implemented and enforced. A democracy with a majority of muslims would function as an islamic democracy.

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
    Root, democracy is not against Islam at all. The laws in a democracy are decided upon, while the laws in Islam are divine. that's the only difference. Both laws are implemented and enforced. A democracy with a majority of muslims would function as an islamic democracy.
    Thanks for clearing up the difference between democracy and an Islamic democracy.

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    You mean western democracy and islamic democracy.

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Islam and Democracy: Compatible or Incompatible?

Salaam hash,
    thanks for your post. I think to compare two systems we need to first describe them and their function.

Your major point was that democratic governments have brought much destruction. This has nothing to do with democracy. This is exactly the same logic as those who say that islam supports terrorism because there are muslim terrorists. That's flawed logic and you're maiing the same mistake.

So pointing out such problems does not deal with the issue. We need to describe both systems first.

What is Democracy?

Now you can point out where Islam differs and what is wrong with the above descriptions.

Support your points logically. If you wish to say that they are haraam or unislamic, then support your points with proofs from Qur'an and Ahadith.

Last edited by Ansar Al-'Adl; 03-11-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Chuck's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hash

Oh brother ansar, gaze at logic, it is so simple. Think about it, contemplate the fact that bottom line, conclusion, summary, SIMPLE AS, is this. Democracy, man made, islamic law, allah's law.

Oh my brother, we are on this earth, and the qur'aan states in numerous places, for one reason. To worship allah. To pray to allah, to complete the islamic requirments, to inplement the deen in our lives. How dare we live under a creation 's law and a creation's system, how can we even compare this to the islamic law. The creators law, the creators system.

Jaza'kallah heir.

Brother you pay too much attention to names, rose is rose no matter what you call it. In Islam, the concept of Ijma is Democracy.

It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, and obedience to Allâh, etc.) that you turn your faces towards east and (or) west (in prayers); but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allâh, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masâkîn (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salât, and gives the Zakât, and keep their word whenever they make a promise, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of persecution, hardship, and war. Such are the people of the truth and they are Al-Muttaqûn (the pious).

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hash,
    Let's examine your points.
    format_quote Originally Posted by Hash
    Even though in reality these "characteristics" of democracy often do not exist, they are very attractive to some Muslims, because they live in suppressive countries where they can be put to death simply for speaking out against their unjust rulers. Muslims around the world need to realize that democracy is just another man-made system that has many faults and defects, and only leads to corruption of the society.
    The authour of this article has simply tried to make a generalization about democracy based on the flaws in currect democratic systems. But that is not the definition of democracy. Democracy is freedom, justice, rights, etc. Whether the current democratic countries are following these values is a completely different issue!

The democratic system is built upon the creed of secularism, which separates religion from life's affairs.
    No. That is not how democracy is defined. Democracy is built upon the consensus of the people and individual freedom and liberty. This is how democracy is defined. If you disagree, then you are not discussing democracy with me, anymore. You have changed this discussion into alternative meanings of the word 'democracy'.

I have given you the definition of democracy. Let's work with that. You are changing the definition and then saying that it is wrong.

Therefore, the most important element of democracy is the rejection of Allah's (SWT) right to legislate.
    Nonsense. In democracy there is a hierarchy of law. In western democracy these laws are simpy accepted values. In Islamic democracy, these laws are the Laws of Allah. Therefore, there is no need to say that a democracy rejects Allah swt.

For example, in a democratic system, it is allowed to establish or make legal things which Allah (SWT) prohibits, such as sexual activity outside of marriage, adultery, gambling, drinking alcohol, and abortion. Men and women can live together without being married. A person can say whatever he wants, even if it goes against righteousness and morality. For example, the Ku Klux Klan can hold public meetings and express their hatred towards African Americans.
    This has nothing to do with democracy. The only reason these problems exist is because they are viewed acceptable by the general public.

Let me give you something to consider. Imagine a democracy with a majority of muslims and qualified and united imaams. Would we still have these problems? No. So then, these are not problems with democracy, only with the social values of people.

Another key element of the democratic system is that ruling and the leadership are a collective matter. This means that the affairs of the state are managed through a collective body, which divides authority between the members of cabinet. Because the power of leadership is shared, decision-making and legislation are based on compromise among the people-not on halaal or haraam.
    What if the compromise amongst the people is in accordance with halaal and haraam?

Islam, on the other hand, pays no regard to majority rule. All the powers of ruling are in the hands of one person: the Khalifah. Prophet Muhammad (saw) said, "If three of you went out on a journey appoint one of you as Amir." (Abu-Dawood) The Khalifah is Allah's representative of His Law on earth, so the Khalifah makes decisions and establishes law based on Islam.
    Islam has the same concept of majority, consensus and consultation.

42:38 Those who hearken to their Lord, and establish regular Prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance;

Conclusion

After reading this article, you can now see the corruption of democracy/capitalism,
    After reading this article, i only saw the ignorance of some muslims.
    and how it greatly contradicts with the beliefs and teachings of Islam. Clearly, the system brought to us by the Prophet (saw) is not democratic.
    It does not contradict in any way. I await further proof.

Think about it, contemplate the fact that bottom line, conclusion, summary, SIMPLE AS, is this. Democracy, man made, islamic law, allah's law.
    Democratic laws follow a superior order of laws in most countries. So if these countries are secular, then these superior laws will be man-made. But if these countries are Muslims, then the superior laws will be the lwas of Allah swt.

So a democracy has minor laws that follow major laws.

In western democracies, these major laws are accepted values.
    In Islamic democracies, these major laws are the laws of God.

So this is not a difference between islam and democracy, it is a difference between Islam and WESTERN democracy.

Because democracy is not defined as a man-made system. It just happens that secular democracies follw a man-made system.

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

While there are differences, to say that it is not compatible would be a far stratch. Democracy is founded upon individual freedom and human rights. These values are also central to the Islamic notion of Khilafa. Rather than attempting to change the definition of democracy, let's examine the pillars of democracy.

Government based upon consent of the governed.

Majority rule.

Minority rights.

Guarantee of basic human rights.

Free and fair elections.

Equality before the law.

Due process of law.

Constitutional limits on government.

Social, economic, and political pluralism.

Values of tolerance, pragmatism, cooperation, and compromise.

Islam is perfectly compatible with these values and ideas. You are attempting to produce incompatibility by comparing Islam to the western application of democracy. But democracy is a wide concept and the Khilafa is a democratic system.

However, The Caliphate may appear similar to the western democratic concept with regard to the freedom of elections, voting, and to voice some opinions, but to state that they're compatible is incorrect. The democratic concept[font=Verdana][size=2]result from the liberties, while the Caliphate result from the conditions of the Khilafah contract and every contract. Sovereignty only belongs to the Almighty and we the Caliphs are only His representatives.
    That would be a difference between Islam and western democracy. In western democracy, there is still a higher order of laws to which inferior laws must adhere. The difference is that in a secular state, these superior order of laws are decided upon by the public, while in Islam they are the laws of God. I think we both agree on this point.

Shaykh Ja'far Sheikh Idris has summarised the issue nicely:
    Is the Islamic state democratic?

Can a country that abides by the principle of shoora constrained by Islamic values be described as democratic? Yes, if democracy is broadly defined in terms of decision-making by the people. No, if it is arbitrarily defined in a way that identifies it with the contemporary Western brands of it. Such definitions commit what Holden (1988, p. 4) calls the definitional fallacy.

In essence it is the fallacy of believing that the meaning of 'democracy' is to be found simply by examining the systems usually called democracies. A common example of this is the idea that if you want to know what democracy is, you simply have a look at the political systems of Britain and America. There are some deep-rooted misconceptions involved here. Apart from anything else, though, such an idea involves the absurdity of being unable to ask whether Britain and America are democracies: if 'democracy' means , say, 'like the British political system' we cannot ask if Britain is a democracy.
    The western democratic system is solely based to fulfill the will of the people whilst the Caliphate is based to fulfill the will of God.
    I agree. But I am not asking if Islam is compatible with the western interpretation of democracy, but rather the concept of democracy as a whole.

I am sure that we both agree on this point.

When we are trying to explain the Islamic concept of Khilafa to non-muslims, it makes it easier for them to understand if we compare it in terms of democracy.

The following article is very informative on the subject. Let me know what you think about it.
    http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=545

Last edited by Ansar Al-'Adl; 05-04-2005 at 12:38 AM.

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hash,
    I think the problem is that you are comparing Islam to the western interpretation of democracy. I am just pointing out that in the basic sense, Islam is a democratic system. Please read this article and tell me what you think:
    http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=545

kadafi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

bro,

If the main point was related to the general concept of democracy instead of the western one, then yes, they do share the same similarities. However, I dislike comparin' the Caliphate system to a democratic system. The Caliphate is unique 'cause it provides solutions for all relationships in society.

And sorry for missin' out words. I type too fast and rarely re-read what I wrote hehe.

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, I think we are in agreement. The only reason why I am comparing Islam and Democracy is because it helps to explain it to non-muslims. I agree that the Khilafa is much more comprehensive than other political systems. But I think muslims should explain it in a way that non-muslims can appreciate.

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi Guys

I wonder what your specific response is to the notion that "Western Democracy" is not a democracy with religous power in that religous leaders are forbidden from standing for government.

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Islam and Democracy: Compatible or Incompatible? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Islam and Democracy: Compatible or Incompatible?