Stories of Muslim Reverts! - Post yours here!

Deism always teaches an entirely “absent” God. Deism has varied forms, but its central contrast with Islam is the rejection of authoritative prophetic revelation and regular divine intervention.
thank you for taking the time to respond to me. This morning I feel very sad as it seems no one in the world cares and most of us do not know what we are doing. I have to go back and try to find the specifics of what I am about to say here but I saw a you tube video of a man whose job it was to study and understand Islam and he said he had core documented statements of the foundational ideas of Islam that said that Islam regarded Allah as being absent and that Muhammad was required to make any connection,. i am troubled by the idea that asking questions is not allowed in Islam as it suggests disbelief and disbelief is forbidden. So I will say this instead: I think historically deists left the door open for the idea that divine intervention was possible as we can all agree that the nature and possible action of God is beyond human knowledge in truth.
 
US President George Washington was said to be a Dietist, but indeed has his own religious concepts.

Yes, I agree, it seems I am the only one here answering questions or giving support.

Wood Pigeon 🕊️
 
My Spiritual Journey

I grew up in an environment marked by deep hostility between Catholics and Protestants. My mother’s family rejected me as “the Lutheran,” while my father’s family rejected me as “the Catholic.” Caught between two traditions, I often felt as though I belonged fully to neither.

When my mother died, I was sixteen. Although her death was painful, it also brought an end to much of the religious conflict and pressure surrounding me. In time, I embraced the Lutheran faith and began searching for a spiritual identity of my own.

During my teenage years and early adulthood, the girls I dated were generally involved either in the “Jesus Freak” movement or in Pentecostal Christianity. Neither tradition resonated with me, and I continued to wrestle with questions about faith, doctrine, and the nature of religious commitment.

Later, I became a broadcast engineer and eventually served as Engineering Director for a large Baptist Bible college radio network. In that role, I was responsible for feeding programming to 120 affiliate stations. While the position gave me valuable experience and exposed me to many aspects of Christian ministry, I eventually became deeply troubled by what I believed was corruption involving donations and financial practices. As a result, I made the difficult decision to leave.

One lasting benefit of that period, however, was the opportunity it gave me to study theology in depth. I explored Christian doctrine from many different perspectives, examining its history, teachings, traditions, and institutions. Those years of study shaped my understanding, even as they also raised new questions.

Afterward, I stepped away from organized religion for many years. I briefly explored Progressive Judaism, but that path did not ultimately become my spiritual home. For a time, I simply lived without committing myself to any particular religious tradition.

Eventually, I returned to the Lutheran Church and studied to become an organist. I loved playing classical and Baroque sacred music on the pipe organ. There was something deeply moving about the music, the architecture, and the centuries of tradition behind it. Yet, at the same time, I became increasingly troubled by conflicts and what I perceived as ethical failures among church leadership and board members. I was also uncomfortable with some of the cultural and ideological changes taking place within Christian denominations. In the end, these concerns led me to leave the church permanently.

Several years later, I began following the spiritual path of my oldest daughter, who had embraced Islam. Through her example and through my own continued search for truth, I began to explore Islam more seriously. This became the next chapter in my spiritual journey—one shaped by a lifetime of questions, study, disappointment, reflection, and a desire to find a faith that felt sincere and meaningful.

As-Salaamu Alaykum!
Wood Pigeon 🕊️
 
I read things here that shock me. I do not know if they are well thought or not. Membership here is free and so I have to wonder if people do not bother to think before they post. Somewhere someone said a comment like "deism in their various forms". There are no various forms of deism. And the comment here that suggests that deism is a religious ideology is also wrong. Deism is not a faith based belief system. It is based on knowledge, not belief. Deism is not a religion. I got into a discussion on X with a Christian about this and he never budged but eventually I think I got him to see he was wrong and he simply stopped responding to my comments. No one seems to be brave enough to give credit or respect to people who say things we do not like, even if we learn they are telling the truth.

Apart from all that, my spiritual journey is something like yours where I found problems with Chritianity. But my muslim friends gave me wonderful propaganda showing how great Islam is, but those pamphlets and good intentions did not align with what I read in the Quran. Also, the stories in the bible that we know are not true are repeated in Islam as if they were facts.

Shall I state the issues I found in the Quran? The Quran has to be pristine and perfect and precise for it to be the word of Allah. There can be no ambiguity or flaw that can be found or perceived or interpreted as a problem. The Quran has to be the word of Allah without doubt for Islam to be true. We learn what is true in this world by rejecting what can be seen as false, not the other way around. If it requires fear, terror, and imagination to defend Islam, Islam is a lie. And yet the first surah is a prayer. It is not written as an instruction to pray, like the Lord's Prayer in the bible. It is written as a prayer. It does not say something like, "this book is the word of God and as such God is instructing you to pray the following..." No, it does not say that. It is simply a prayer. So the Quran is false because God or Allah does not pray to anyone. That is one. There are more problems I saw.

So, now, what is your problem with Deism?
 

Similar Threads

Back
Top